Atari 7800 Schematics Found in Dumpster Dive

Gorgeous C-64 setup. All a 1984 kid could dream of.

It's actually very similar to my setup in 1986. Same 1541, actual OKI printer, actual 1084S with a recently replaced by myself flyback and HOT (don't buy the flyback transformers from Poland), same breadbin - But oh what I would have given for the 1541 Ultimate II+ and the WiModem (not that WiFi existed back then!), actual 1351 mouse and actual TAC2 joystick.

Thanks for your comments!

The Atari-then-Commodore engineers were famous for naming chips and products after women they liked. Colleen and Candy were the Atari 800 and 400, for example. I believe "Lorraine" became the Amiga.

Correct, Amiga was Lorraine. I believe this was the name of David Morse’s wife.

Had those for my Atari 800-XL. It is how I won Decathlon. Such a fast short throw on those of the required fast left right joystick smashing required! Good times.
Oh god that was such a hard game! I'd use the epyx or the tac2 or slick stik for those for the short throw. Now, in track and field I was fast enough that I could do the 100M in like 2-3s, haha! All you saw were legs!

Gorgeous C-64 setup. All a 1984 kid could dream of.
Ditto. (y) Brings back such memories of my brother and I playing games together. We still have our 'high scores book' (somehwere) where we would write our personal bests.

It's actually very similar to my setup in 1986. Same 1541, actual OKI printer, actual 1084S with a recently replaced by myself flyback and HOT (don't buy the flyback transformers from Poland), same breadbin - But oh what I would have given for the 1541 Ultimate II+ and the WiModem (not that WiFi existed back then!), actual 1351 mouse and actual TAC2 joystick.

Thanks for your comments!
I was luckier than most, having the 1702 with the y/c cable for clear rear hookups (which looks gorgeous even today). I found out that it was a rebranded JVC studio monitor as I would see one on the local weather broadcast in the background. I had that and jiffydos installed in our c64 as well as 2 1541s, an mps802 printer and the commodore mps-1200 printer, aka citizen 120d. That and about 14 joysticks for me while my brother did very well with the Wyco Boss. My dad had no issues funding it all as he made us use microsoft multiplan as well as write all his letters and even a full partnership agreement. We got fast at hunt and peck so when the Model M fell below my hands and I took typing class, I feel into typing heaven.

I actually still have all this original gear as well as some more commodore setups I've acquired over the years. I tried to turn on our original c64 with jiffydos a few years (decade?) back and it didn't work, so I'm guessing it will need some work. :(

Such memories of such happy times. Thank you for inspiring the trip. (y)

I was luckier than most, having the 1702 with the y/c cable for clear rear hookups (which looks gorgeous even today). I found out that it was a rebranded JVC studio monitor as I would see one on the local weather broadcast in the background. I had that and jiffydos installed in our c64 as well as 2 1541s, an mps802 printer and the commodore mps-1200 printer, aka citizen 120d. That and about 14 joysticks for me while my brother did very well with the Wyco Boss. My dad had no issues funding it all as he made us use microsoft multiplan as well as write all his letters and even a full partnership agreement. We got fast at hunt and peck so when the Model M fell below my hands and I took typing class, I feel into typing heaven.

I actually still have all this original gear as well as some more commodore setups I've acquired over the years. I tried to turn on our original c64 with jiffydos a few years (decade?) back and it didn't work, so I'm guessing it will need some work. :(

Such memories of such happy times. Thank you for inspiring the trip. (y)

Your issue will be related to the power supply, don't keep trying to power your C64 up with the original PSU, it could have already damaged memory chips - Check the C64's internal fuse, see if it's blown.

The 1084S also has the same y/c connections, I'd love a 1701 simply to match the breadbin, but they're rare up my end of the world and demand a premium. Get your C64 working, the happy times don't have to end, there's still a very active community online and via BBS that I frequent all the time and new titles are still being released for the platform - Super Mario Brothers was released (and banned by Nintendo) not that long ago.

The 1541 Ultimate II+ is quite simply the best piece of hardware ever released for the C64 - Ever. Totally recommended.

I remember messing around with a 7800 store demo at the PX on base in Germany.

Having cut my teeth on the 2600, the new controllers felt... awkward and clunky. I was only around 10 at the time, so maybe adult sized hands at the time would have led to a different conclusion.

We were fully vested into a Commodore 128 system by then, and I saw the Atari as a step backwards.

That, and any joystick/controller that wasn't my Epyx 500xj just felt like trash. :D

Last edited:
I remember when we were kids my mate won an Atart 2600 in a competition at McDonalds - That was seriously like winning the lottery to us kids!

Your issue will be related to the power supply, don't keep trying to power your C64 up with the original PSU, it could have already damaged memory chips - Check the C64's internal fuse, see if it's blown.

The 1084S also has the same y/c connections, I'd love a 1701 simply to match the breadbin, but they're rare up my end of the world and demand a premium. Get your C64 working, the happy times don't have to end, there's still a very active community online and via BBS that I frequent all the time and new titles are still being released for the platform - Super Mario Brothers was released (and banned by Nintendo) not that long ago.

The 1541 Ultimate II+ is quite simply the best piece of hardware ever released for the C64 - Ever. Totally recommended.
Thank you! Nope, don't plan to keep trying like that. I've got some others that are stock and probably still work so that would be my test bed. Oddly enough, norelco made this little 'air filter' that fit perfectly on top of the c64 psu so we always had that turn on and run when the system was on. We also had 2 fans that blew on the 1541s in a custom 2x4 rack that we made for stacking them since my dad wouldn't buy us the dual stack kit with the fan built-in, lol. It will be a while before I get to fix the c64, and hopefully I won't have to just pass it on to a new home, but I fear the wife and life will make me do that. :(

That's so cool that the c64 is alive and well--I would have never imagined it. There is something to be learned from the nostalgia communities built up around the products of long ago--I just don't know what it is yet...

Wow, just found out about the 1541 ultimate ii+. At first I thought this was some drive I didn't have in my stash, lol. It's actually better than any drive. (y)

I share your opinion of the 7800 controllers--I didn't like them no matter how much better the picture was. And YES! The epyx 500xj FTW!! :D

Back