ATA33 CD-RW and ATA66 DVD-RW on same IDE channel

Justas G

Limp Gawd
hello, the topic states my question... I have the DVD-RW in the master position and the CD-RW drive as slave, when the system boots, they are being detected as ATA33 (cd) and ATA66 (dvd).

Am I good to go? Or is my DVD-RW drive now operating at the ATA33 spec because of the slower CD-RW drive?

A single ATA-33 device can potentially slow down the bus to those speeds. However, it's doubtful that the bus speed is going to impact a DVD burner. YMMV, but, I wouldn't lose sleep over it unless you start making coasters due to buffer dropouts

my concern is that the dvd drive might not operate at its full potential, as in the transfer speed when reading from a CD or DVD might not be as high as it could be.

I've searched the net about this and some sources say "modern" IDE controllers work in such a way that each drive works at its rated speed independent of the other one, is that true? I have an ABIT KN9 (nForce4 chipset) btw..

Is my Lite-On LH20A1H ("World's fastest DVD rewriter") even capable of reaching ATA-66 speeds? Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't found anything definite about this particular topic on the net :confused:

I believe you'll be fine if you're not using both drives at the same time.

hello, the topic states my question... I have the DVD-RW in the master position and the CD-RW drive as slave, when the system boots, they are being detected as ATA33 (cd) and ATA66 (dvd).

Am I good to go? Or is my DVD-RW drive now operating at the ATA33 spec because of the slower CD-RW drive?

No need to worry, unless both of your drives are pre-UDMA (with a maximum burst transfer rate no greater than 16.6 MB/s). If one or both of your drives on the same IDE channel use an Ultra ATA/33 or faster interface, the Ultra ATA controller will use independent master/slave device timing for that channel provided that the faster device is connected as master.

That said, I agree with the poster "enginurd": It's not recommended to perform direct disc-to-disc copies between the two optical writers connected to the same IDE cable. IDE data transfers can only move in one direction at a time, and attempting to get the data flow to move in both directions simultaneously greatly increases the likelihood of sluggish copy performance, buffer underruns and/or data corruption.

Back