At this point, Nvidia deserves the "bad driver" scarlet letter as much as AMD

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
The latest Nvidia drivers are a fucking trainwreck. G-Sync doesn't even work with them properly and tons of people are reporting constant driver crashes. It apparently tanked most people's performance in Apex Legends, too.

Complete joke.

AMD fried for less than this. I think Nvidia needs to get slapped around a bit so they get their shit together. AMD might actually have more solid drivers than this at this point. What a joke.

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ff992970c-pi.png

I had to downgrade from 418.91 to 417.71 to keep Apex Legends from crashing. There is no way to be sure if that is a problem due to Apex Legends, NVIDIA, or both.

I know a lot of guys in this forum are running Turing and want the latest drivers, but fuck I'm scared to death to run a 400 series driver after all the horror stories and hotfix's I've seen lately. I'm still on 399.24, and that's only because of Strange Brigade needing a newer version.

Both sides have had their share of bad drivers. I've seen AMD drivers lock out fan control, power limit and BSoD when opening CCC. I've also had my pre-stable OC become a nightmare of BSoD's and CTD's while playing games after updating to a 1 version higher driver from Nvidia. Neither company is without their faults when it comes to drivers, but now they at least acknowledge the fact their having issues and try to fix them, not like it was a few years ago.

Yeah I'm just saying whenever I post any Nvidia driver issues here I've got a chorus of people doing what the folks at the top of the thread were doing.
First NV driver issue I have had in a long time.

People on the Nvidia forum complain alot mainly about DSR Monitors and drivers not working since last year. I'm using drivers from 2018 myself 416.34 I think that is the set that came out support the 2080 series cards. If you find a good set stick with them and don't look back the extra FPS in newer games isn't worth it usually with the newer sets. They probably have to rewite the code from ground up and when the write in new code it gets messed up a bit.

I've only had two.
Point is people claim they never happen.
The thread started off with a trollish poster ranting. He didn't get many serious responses due to the nature of his post and his posting history. Not one poster claimed Nvidia has never had issues, some said they don't have any issues currently while some said they have or had issues. You basically wandered in and made a strawman argument to make it seem like people were being unreasonable.

The thread started off with a trollish poster ranting. He didn't get many serious responses due to the nature of his post and his posting history. Not one poster claimed Nvidia has never had issues, some said they don't have any issues currently while some said they have or had issues. You basically wandered in and made a strawman argument to make it seem like people were being unreasonable.

I read the first post and there is nothing trollish about it, just a very understandably frustrated user. Plenty of folks have claimed that Nvidia can do no wrong, even if it is not in this thread. Knowing me, if I had a NV card, I would have messed with the drivers anyways and then regret the decision to ignore the OP and Kyle. Oh well, things happen.........

The drivers recently, on my 2080ti, seem a lot worse then before. I have never had an nVidia driver issue until now, is it the drivers though, or instability in the card?

It is probably driver, but there is additional hardware with RT and DLSS, which adds failure points, maybe newer drivers run into them?

Issue with Nvidia card: "Have you made sure you're using the latest Windows Update? How much RAM are you using? Are you overclocking, because that can cause issues. Are your chipset drivers up to date? Have you performed a RAM test to see if you have a faulty stick? Have you tested your system drive? Is the game installed on an SSD? Is Steam up-to-date? Is your PC getting enough airflow? How are you feeling? Everything alright with the wife?"

Issue with AMD card: "AMDSUXLOLOLOLOL OLOLOL OLOOLOLLOLOL"

W10 and gsync have had some issues for a while, only recently did they get fixed. It was mainly related to borderless window mode. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Apex is having stability issues in general, not just with that one nvidia driver release.

I read the first post and there is nothing trollish about it, just a very understandably frustrated user. Plenty of folks have claimed that Nvidia can do no wrong, even if it is not in this thread. Knowing me, if I had a NV card, I would have messed with the drivers anyways and then regret the decision to ignore the OP and Kyle. Oh well, things happen.........

I said "trollish poster", not post. Which led to some posters not treating him as seriously as a normal poster would have been. Not one person made the claim that the user I quoted mentioned. Therefore a strawman, and unnecessary, argument.

Issue with Nvidia card: "Have you made sure you're using the latest Windows Update? How much RAM are you using? Are you overclocking, because that can cause issues. Are your chipset drivers up to date? Have you performed a RAM test to see if you have a faulty stick? Have you tested your system drive? Is the game installed on an SSD? Is Steam up-to-date? Is your PC getting enough airflow? How are you feeling? Everything alright with the wife?"

Issue with AMD card: "AMDSUXLOLOLOLOL OLOLOL OLOOLOLLOLOL"

Ahah, summed it up perfectly. You get a cookie ! (Need the meme :eek:)

I said "trollish poster", not post. Which led to some posters not treating him as seriously as a normal poster would have been. Not one person made the claim that the user I quoted mentioned. Therefore a strawman, and unnecessary, argument.
Over the last 18 years I've seen more than enough posts that reflect exactly what I touched upon. Sorry my experience is hard for you to digest.
This thread is about nvidia drivers reputation in reference to the quality of AMD/ATis drivers over many years. My posts may have ruffled some feathers with you but they are within the scope of the subject at hand.

That Nvidia drivers aren't perfect (how could that even be possible...) is true even as AMD drivers have more issues on average.

We can only hope that when AMD gets around to supporting ray tracing (and perhaps DLSS-like denoising) that their drivers go over smoother than average.

That Nvidia drivers aren't perfect (how could that even be possible...) is true even as AMD drivers have more issues on average.

We can only hope that when AMD gets around to supporting ray tracing (and perhaps DLSS-like denoising) that their drivers go over smoother than average.

And this helps the OP in what way? First, you are likely wrong but even if you are right, that does not magically fix the Nvidia driver issues. Quick deflect from seeing the man behind the curtain!

And this helps the OP in what way? First, you are likely wrong but even if you are right, that does not magically fix the Nvidia driver issues. Quick deflect from seeing the man behind the curtain!

Ouch, I see I found the feels!

Only the OP can really help the OP- finding a driver that works with their specific software and hardware through research and experimentation in place of exhasperating partisan whine posts. Hell, they already have some good leads shared!

I really dont get the "AMD drivers suck" mantra. I can recall when they actually did suck (it was an ATi thing). That was almost 20 years ago.
Since then they've been par or better in my experience.
Drivers are complicated. Sometimes they get fucked up by other drivers on your system. Sometimes other hardware can break them. Sometimes the viruses you have on your system from visiting sketchy sites can cause problems.

I'm no Nvidia fan, but i'm sure they'll get their shit together. Creating a functional API for real time raytracing in games, along with whatever that DLSS bullshit is, is undoubtedly difficult.

AMD will trip over their feet when they introduce new features and hardware designs too.

I really dont get the "AMD drivers suck" mantra. I can recall when they actually did suck (it was an ATi thing). That was almost 20 years ago.

I remember them sucking much more recently, first hand, and am about to test their latest driver which might fix some 'suckage' that's been going on for over a year; I've been running a year-old driver to mitigate.

I never seem to have had major issues with either AMD or nVidia video drivers except for when Windows 10 Insider Edition decided I needed to play games in game mode and broke windowless colors until the next update. However, I place the blame for that squarely on Microsoft.

Then again, my systems are dirt simple and I use them almost exclusively for gaming.

The only driver issue I had was HD3850 where in desktop colors in XP using standard fonts (no Clear Type) colors there were some discoloration going on and other zero issues with any card from 3Dfx/ATI/AMD/NV. I didn't even had to driver uninstall other than maybe eg. use normal driver uninstall to remove shortcuts from right mouse click on desktop.

I picked up gears of War 4 recently and was getting crashes and stuttering in cutscenes. Had to roll back all the way to 382.53 to get the game stable. Of course users on rtx cards don't have any issues running the latest drivers and gears of War 4, just pascal cards and it seems Nvidia is sweeping this issue under the rug

Ha...anyone that has worked on desktops/laptops over the last 20 years knows that all drivers and updates are the bane of existence. Doing the driver dance is par for the course. If your not have some sort of driver issue (ever) your either really lucky or not updating ever. If a driver issue lasts more than a day, I might remember it....but I do have some fun stories dealing with stuff in the past.

Man, I gotta be the luckiest guy on earth regarding drivers (or have a bad case of alzheimer). I can't remember bad nvidia driver issues since the Tnt2 days

Do you have a G-Sync monitor and/or multiple monitors?

It's kind of the same old story. People who do nothing with their computers have fewer problems. It's like, no shit dude.

W10 and gsync have had some issues for a while, only recently did they get fixed. It was mainly related to borderless window mode. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Apex is having stability issues in general, not just with that one nvidia driver release.

They weren't fixed. In fact, I never had a problem with G-Sync before the most recent drivers and have pretty much never had to roll back before this. The latest drivers blow. I can't believe Nvidia's even leaving them up.

Man, I gotta be the luckiest guy on earth regarding drivers (or have a bad case of alzheimer). I can't remember bad nvidia driver issues since the Tnt2 days

This is seriously the first time I've had to rollback Nvidia drivers since 1998. It's bad.

They weren't fixed. In fact, I never had a problem with G-Sync before the most recent drivers and have pretty much never had to roll back before this. The latest drivers blow. I can't believe Nvidia's even leaving them up.

I think they said the problem was microsoft's doing, not sure what the current one is. I agree though no one cares who's fault it is they just want gsync to fucking work.

I'm with ya man. ATI/AMD or Nvidia I really don't remember any issues... /shrug

I'm with ya man. ATI/AMD or Nvidia I really don't remember any issues... /shrug
The biggest issue I remember is having to reinstall a few times and using DDU or some specific game issue that was resolved in the next release.

As someone else pointed out, I don't use gsync or sli or any other fancy stuff that are affected with newer drivers.

I'm still waiting for Nvidia to fix the ell known SLI+Gsync framerate loss....

Back