AT&T Turns Off 4G on New Motorola and HTC Phones

I think that applies to the USA. Pretty sure there are other countries with true 4g.

Nope. The 4G specification is not yet finalized, so it is impossible for any carrier in the world to have true 4G yet.

Various carriers have gone ahead with what in the end will be 4G-like networks, but it's not true 4G.

LTE does not qualify as 4G, but LTE advanced probably will in the end.

Have you guys noticed how crappy smartphones work when you make a call. I'm talking about the voice bandwidth. I always wondered what's the point of investing so much on a phone if it doesn't done the basic thing it's supposed to do. I always thought it was the networks but this is ridiculous.

Are you referring to AT&T only? I'm on Verizon, and calls with the Droid X are like a good land line. AMAZING call quality. Calls on my Fascinate are also quite good on both ends, and I rarely get any distortion or lack of clarity, or even dropped calls. I know people on AT&T where I live that have struggled, but they actually FINALLY put up a new tower there that has improved things considerably. Four years of promising, and AT&T finally came through with a 3G ... that's right, THREE GEE ... tower in my area. Verizon has had three 3G towers there for 3 years already. Wow, lots of threes.

Back