AT&T to Unlock Off-Contract iPhones

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Great news and about time. Will definitely help with reselling my phone.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATT+at+Long+Last+Agrees+to+Unlock+Its+Customers+iPhones/article24409.htm

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

Yawn......T-mobile does the above after 4 months of service in good standing

Tmobile coverage is pretty terrible and phones lackluster. That's a great reason not to use them.

Wont argue with you, as I'm hardly ever outside of NYC, and their service is actually pretty nice here.... but yea, I have heard bad things about them in the rest of the 48....

What this does is for AT&T customers is unlock perceived value in a handset that can be sold on Gazelle.com or craigslist and motivate customers to sign a new contract for a better phone. This can be considered creating contract churn.

The + of TMO is their no contract service pricing.

Exactly, with Google voice I pay $30 a month for unlimited text, 5gb of 4g data, and basically thousands of minutes.

( Tmobile coverage is pretty terrible and phones lackluster. That's a great reason not to use them)

Lackluster isn't a good term, they have good phones. They just don't have what you would like to see. My service is a shit load better then sprint, sure its not vzw but damn I pull 9mbps on my 4g

I have never tried it with an iPhone myself but ATT unlocked my Nokia after 6 months in good standing, all I had to do was call and ask.

And that does what for ATT customers? :rolleyes:

lets them know that other GSM carriers have been doing this for YEARS after a short time with the carrier........phones that I have unlocked with T-mobile free of charge whenever I wanted

Blackberry 8100
Nokia 6230
HD 2 (both of them)

I called ATT last night to setup my iphone 4 to be unlock and they asked that I FAX them proof of purchase. First off, it is none of their damn business where I got it from as long as I have it on my account. Second, FAX? I mean I can fax at work, but seriously?

I got that as well. Still waiting on the confirmation mail of where to send the fax to.

I got that as well. Still waiting on the confirmation mail of where to send the fax to.

No fax needed to be sent in. I got the unlock mail earlier today. All I had to do was backup/restore.

I got my phone unlocked.

I called AT&T 4/11/12 the rep created a ticket for me, 4/13/12 I got the email saying I was unlocked. Phone was given to me from my brother, who also no longer has AT&T account. So any phone that went through the two year contract I'm assuming is eligible, rep did ask me for his phone number, which I had, because he ported it to verizon.

I phone 4 04.11.08 baseband jailbroken, used redsn0w 0.9.10b6 to deactivate the phone (this part sucked, it didn't want to work like 3 times, then when it did, phone showed an error 6000ns firmware one, but after holding both buttons to reboot, it was deactivated). Itunes then reactivated the phone (had a DTAC sim in it at the time) and now instead of no service at the top (with old AT&T sim) or "Invalid SIM" with DTAC, now it show a signal and on AT&T network with DTAC sim. DTAC sim, is a sim from a previous trip to thailand.

Verizon is still better tho, 2 months of good standing gets you an unlock on their network with a 4S (which I also did, tip, when calling verizon, choose the option for tech support).

hmmm.

Im on tmobile with a jailbroken iphone4 with gevey sim. I bought it from a friend who bought it from someone else..Wonder if they cant attempt to unlock it. I dont even know the orginal owners.

got my iphone 4 unlocked. I have a jailbroken 4 on 5.0.1 and used samprefs to deactive. Nice and easy! Plugged it in and unlocked!

Got my old 3g(new ipod touch) unlocked.. Will be great for international travel. Used Sam to deactivate it and plugged it into itunes and got the unlocked message.

It is nice of them, but, I have always just visited the XDA forums and searched how to get the unlock codes. Have self unlocked a couple Captivates, and an Infuse, with relative ease. It is hardly a big deal to be honest. Root, unlock then a custom rom to get rid of ATT bloatware and and gain access to all of those features they want you to pay extra for. Like voice dialing, or tethering.

I have straight talk on my AT&T iPhone, and it worked without unlocking at all.

Called in the second day they offered this and finally got my unlock yesterday on a 16gb Iphone 2g (the old iphone? lol). Time to put it up for sale.

Man i need someone to unlock my iPhone 4 ....
Sick and tired of this Gevey sim ...
Enjoying it with Tmobile !!! Way better coverage in Houston !!!
And its service is a lot better than suck AT&T ...
BUT
Tmobiles phone selection is different to me its lame ....

Fax ? hardly found it anymore in eastern area..mostly ppl use email, scanner or digital send,

Back