AT&T to Launch Samsung Galaxy Note LTE on Feb.19th

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Samsung Galaxy Note LTE is being described as a ‘new breed of smartphone’ with a Super 5.2” AMOLED Plus display, S Pen stylus, Snapdragon 1.5GHz processor, 8-megapixel main camera and a front facing camera for vid calls and of course, 4G networking. The new smartphone will be available on February 19th with preorders beginning this weekend. The cost of being new and innovative will be $300 and a new two year contract.

That is the realm of small netbook to me. At what point does a phone cease to be a phone and become a small computer?

5.3"

Time to find some old JNCO's to find some pockets this would fit into.

That is the realm of small netbook to me. At what point does a phone cease to be a phone and become a small computer?

Dual core processors, 1GB of memory, internet surfing, video gaming, word processing, move watching, 12+ hours of battery life.... I'd say we're already there.

It seems like we're going backwards. Remember the days when when mobile phones were the size of your head? A bigger screen does not always equal a better experience. Especially when the form factor increases so much. I'm waiting for a breakthrough UI that will allow us to do more with the same sized screen.

It seems like we're going backwards. Remember the days when when mobile phones were the size of your head? A bigger screen does not always equal a better experience. Especially when the form factor increases so much. I'm waiting for a breakthrough UI that will allow us to do more with the same sized screen.

Yes but phones were that large back then because they couldn't get it any smaller. Phones are getting bigger now by choice, and theres usually functionally to it. I personally don't like any phone larger than a 4.3 screen, but i can see how a 5+" would be useful for some others. To some people that watch alot of movies, or read books on the go, and phone thats almost the size of a small tablet would be a better experience for them.

I would say that ALL smartphones are already small computers. And the screens on current generation phones are just a little too small for all the non-phone activity we do with our phones, especially internet browsing. I would think that a significant number of people do more "other" things with their phones than they do actually making calls, and for everything else the bigger screen is better.

From CES reports, while big the NOTE still fits in a pocket, and for women it is a non-issue.

Blue tooth, and speakerphone can easily get around the awkwardness of holding the phone to your ear.

For everything else it will be dramatically better.

I'd love having a phone with a huge screen like that...

...as long as it easily fits in all my pockets.

I don't wear tight pants or anything, but at 5.3" it may be tricky to even fit in my slacks...

we have several posters on this site that were early adopters.. ordered from over seas. Personally, I m excited about this phone myself, although I loath to think about going back to ATT

I would like a phone like this, but on Verizon, with vanilla Android 4 and powered by an Nvidia Tegra 3 chip.

Provided I can test it first to make sure it will fit in my pockets without being bothersome.

I could pass on the stylus though. Don't think i'd use it much / at all.

we have several posters on this site that were early adopters.. ordered from over seas. Personally, I m excited about this phone myself, although I loath to think about going back to ATT

The biggest problem to me is that its only running Gingerbread. Second to that, that it is on AT&T.

Why on earth do phone companies keep launching devices with obsolete Android versions on them... it makes no sense.

Zarathustra[H];1038324924 said:
The biggest problem to me is that its only running Gingerbread. Second to that, that it is on AT&T.

Why on earth do phone companies keep launching devices with obsolete Android versions on them... it makes no sense.

Companies keep using older versions of Android cause they haven't finished updating the overlay they all use on top of Android ICS. HTC uses Sense, Samsung uses Touchwiz and I believe LG has one as well if I'm not mistaken. From my experience ICS makes all these programs useless but the cell manufacturers think they know better than Google or their customers.

I would say that ALL smartphones are already small computers. And the screens on current generation phones are just a little too small for all the non-phone activity we do with our phones, especially internet browsing.
~960pixels wide is the unofficial standard for most websites. The 848 or 800 pixel phones we have right now are just a hair too small to read a normal webpage without scrolling back and forth. I think this resolution is the future.

The problem with the Note is that it uses a pentile matrix screen. So it blends pixels together. Happy to wait for Samsung to get the "+" version out (SGSIII?).

The problem with the Note is that it uses a pentile matrix screen. So it blends pixels together. Happy to wait for Samsung to get the "+" version out (SGSIII?).

According to my understanding of how th epentile matrix works, this should only be an issue on highly saturated screens.

For the vast majority of uses it should be no worse than a traditional matrix.

Quite honestly 5'' screen is getting ridiculous for a "phone". I had the first Galaxy S, and that thing was already pretty sizeable for a phone. Then I got the S2, and it's stretching the acceptable size of smartphones. It barely fits in my pocket, and sometimes I feel silly holding it up to my ear. A 5'' phone would be unthinkable for me. I have a 10.1'' tablet for any use that requires such a large screen.

Quite honestly 5'' screen is getting ridiculous for a "phone". I had the first Galaxy S, and that thing was already pretty sizeable for a phone. Then I got the S2, and it's stretching the acceptable size of smartphones. It barely fits in my pocket, and sometimes I feel silly holding it up to my ear. A 5'' phone would be unthinkable for me. I have a 10.1'' tablet for any use that requires such a large screen.

I have a 7 inch tablet, so its only 2 inches larger than this phone. If you are doing something that requires a bigger screen then bring along something that is used for that purpose. A cellphone does not make a good office replacement.

Well, they sure aren't for everyone.

I like the idea of it, but I'd certainly need a pocket test drive before buying.

The way I feel is that current phones are too small for a good online experience, but tablets and laptops are too large to fit in your pocket, and thus never there when you need them.

If this can provide just a bit more screen real estate and still fit in my pocket, I'll be all about it.

I've been using one for over a month now. After I got over the initial size shock (couple days), now there's no going back to a puny sub-5" phone again. My Galaxy S2 sits in a drawer as a backup, and my GSM Galaxy Nexus was sold for being slower, smaller, and generally redundant.

For the post saying it's only a little bit smaller than a 7" tablet, that's not true...it's a LOT smaller than a 7" tablet.

Back