AT&T to Double Wireless Data Speeds in 6 Cities

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this Associated Press article, AT&T will double its wireless data speeds in six major U.S. cities by the end of the year. Good news for iPhone owners?

Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami and Charlotte, N.C., will be the first cities to see the benefits of AT&T's plans to double the data download speeds on its wireless network. The six cities will be upgraded before the end of the year, the carrier said Wednesday.

AT&T Offers Nation's Fastest 3G Network*

*when nobody is using it.

They really should stop focusing so much on faster and instead focus on more... big difference there they can't seem to grasp.

4g network here in Portland, if you have Sprint that is.

As a Houston customer, double of what we have now still won't be a lot. Zero times two is still zero. :p

Good to see some progress in the network area.

this was tested today from my iphone 3gs.

I hate these kinds of articles. They end up being nothing more than mouthpieces for the company that is putting out the press. They say that only iPhones will be able to use the extra speed, which is bullshit, and then in the next breath they say that AT&T calls out 5 other phones, not mentioned what they are, that will be able to use the new speed. Which is it? AT&T's message is more scrambled than a crack whores head.

AT&T needs to fix their network capacity before rolling out fancy upgrades. Pre iPhone 3Gs release, I have 4 bars of coverage in my apartment, no dropped calls and no complaints. Post-iPhone 3Gs release, I get 2 to 3 bars and dropped calls and it pisses me off.

What the hell, why not New York City? They chose LA and some other good sized cities but not NYC? Guess they knew NYC would cost the same as those six cities to upgrade.:rolleyes:

I hate these kinds of articles. They end up being nothing more than mouthpieces for the company that is putting out the press. They say that only iPhones will be able to use the extra speed, which is bullshit, and then in the next breath they say that AT&T calls out 5 other phones, not mentioned what they are, that will be able to use the new speed. Which is it? AT&T's message is more scrambled than a crack whores head.

The iPhone 3GS is the only phone on the market now that will be able to take advantage of the speed increase. But AT&T pointed to five other "smart" phones and some USB dongles, which let laptops go online, that will go on sale before the end of the year. Those devices also will be able to take advantage of the new technology, known as HSPA, or High-Speed Packet Access.
I think their message is pretty clear, iPhone is the only phone out now that would take advantage of this new setup, and 5 more phones and USB laptop dongles will be released by the end of the year. How is that "scrambled"?

They really should stop focusing so much on faster and instead focus on more... big difference there they can't seem to grasp.

Exactly, who cares about 4G when 3G isn't everywhere. It sucks I pay the same as someone 27 miles from me and they get 3G.

I live just north of Houston, and while I can't really vouch for improved speed over 3G yet, I can say that I've never been able to get a 3G signal on my phone at my house until about a week or two ago.

Speed here in Houston seems to be fine when I have 5 bars....
12852700.png

Tested earlier today --

Speeds suck here,

Still no 3G connection, and yet other places are getting more speed...

AT&T needs to fix their network capacity before rolling out fancy upgrades. Pre iPhone 3Gs release, I have 4 bars of coverage in my apartment, no dropped calls and no complaints. Post-iPhone 3Gs release, I get 2 to 3 bars and dropped calls and it pisses me off.

You do realize that the bars are nothing more than a marketing scam right?

I think their message is pretty clear, iPhone is the only phone out now that would take advantage of this new setup, and 5 more phones and USB laptop dongles will be released by the end of the year. How is that "scrambled"?

The only two phones that AT&T is rumored in releasing is the Fortress and Warhawk (Touch Pro 2 and Touch Diamond) by the end of the year. Most notably by around the beginning of October to coincide with the release of WinMo 6.5.

You do realize that the bars are nothing more than a marketing scam right?

Uh no...they are a relative signal indicator. How reliable that indicator is, is another story. They are the same as the WiFi signal indicators, UHF signal strength indicators, and Bluetooth signal strength indicators. You may read a signal but actually connecting is a different thing.

/rf developer

My point stands...AT&T can't handle the current load, why invite more of a load?

Here in Dallas/Fort Worth my wifes Black Berry takes about 2 minutes to load a single Wikipedia page.....VERY FAST!

Back