AT&T Starts 5G Groundwork in More U.S. Cities

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
AT&T has begun upgrading some of the equipment in an additional 117 cities to get ready for their deployment of 5G wireless. These upgrades don't bring full 5G speeds to customers, however, they do give some customers up to 400Mbps service if they are using the right phone. I think this is a welcome surprise for those living in the upgraded cities. On one hand you can enjoy those speeds, but on the other hand you can watch your data cap go away much faster. Catch-22.

As of now, supported 5G Evolution devices include Samsung’s Galaxy S8, S8+, S8 Active, S9, S9+, and Note8, LG’s V30, and the Moto Z2 Force Edition. AT&T promises theoretical peak speeds of up to 400Mbps, which is twice as fast as current standard LTE, though around one-third to one-fifth the base speeds expected from initial 5G networks. The enhanced LTE will serve as a higher-speed backbone as 5G rolls out on a market-by-market basis in 2018 and 2019.

5G up to 400Mbps, jeez that could go through most caps in under 10 minutes! Good for them but I think many would be more interested in unlimited of higher caps for less or nothing than these awesome speeds.

I know there's love/hate on virtually every side of the fence for most big providers but I gotta say my experience with Comcast has been great since switching from CL. No, I'm not a paid shill for them, just had a too many bad experiences with CL after over 10 years. Comcast did a free upgrade on my service about a week ago from 250Mbps to 400Mbps. I haven't really seen it hit that 400 yet but I have seen 300-325 regularly and 200-250 on the low end. It's funny watching dl speeds rival most of the old USB2 transfer speeds I've seen on many other machines.

So by upgrading to a 5G phone you can now enjoy speeds of up to 1/2 of 4G speeds!

Wow!

Checks list. No upgrade for my place in rural OK. Will still be lucky to see one bar. The haves get more, the have nots get squat.

Yay, upgrade the existing network where people have signal issues, with a faster network that people will still have signal issues on instead of actually expanding the network to fix coverage gaps. Yup, makes perfect sense.

So by upgrading to a 5G phone you can now enjoy speeds of up to 1/2 of 4G speeds!

Wow!
I was thinking the same damn thing. Current 4G barely meets 3G specs. This new 5G doesn't even meet 4G specs.

Marketing bullshit.

Would be nice if they just got their existing LTE to work in my market. Sprint is more reliable.

Back