AT&T Revamps Data Plans, Eliminates Overage Fees

HardOCP News

[H] News
One of the best things about competition in the mobile phone industry is that, as soon as one company does something, the rest eventually follow suit. In this case it was Verizon's "safety mode" that has prompted AT&T to follow suit.

Beginning Sunday, customers can choose the new Mobile Share Advantage plan and pay for extra data, if needed, or work with slower data speeds instead of paying for overages, the company said in a statement. Its current plan includes a $5 data overage charge per 300 megabytes on its 300-megabyte plan and $15 per 1 gigabyte on other plans.

T Mobile has been doing this for forever. Love that damn service - best company I've been with since US Cellular moved out of my area.

Been saying this forever, why be a dick and charge people for going over something which very often they don't have much knowledge of just throttle them.

Now here's the next step, how about instead of throttling them based on perceived "limits" to the network, you simply limit people when the network is actually crowded instead... yanno kind of how it work without anyone doing a damn thing.

Prices look worse to me. I already had the 30gb plan for $130/month + $15/line. I vaguely remember being on the 15gb plan and them doubling the data for free at some point in time. Either way, these prices aren't anything stellar. If I switched I would actually have to pay $20/month for because I have 3 lines.

I was once on the 10Gb plan and got the free upgrade at the same price to the 15Gb plan. Interested to see how this will affect my bill next week.

I have the same plan 10gb they "upped" it to 15 for free and I have carry over or somthing like that - currently sitting on 22 gb of lte data unused. I don't use that much data...and have never used the LTE in my car (added it to the plan for nothing) - if my bill goes up, hello T Mobile.

Where I live, T-Mobile doesn't have very good coverage. It's basically AT&T or Verizon if you want the most coverage. I would not mind getting that bill down at all.

Its still post paid billing so not surprise free by any means. Forget that noise!

Go prepaid with Cricket. Its the same network.

I love the speed reduction. Down to 128K ? wtf....not even 3g down to 2g speeds? China and the UK pay much less for faster speeds...

Looks like they raised the entry cost for a single line plan to $70 for most users though? Dick move T-Mobile, they find new ways to get more money out of people and make it sound likentheybare getting a deal.

True, but before the cost for one line plus unlimited was $95. At least they are letting users keep their current plan and not forcing them to change.

128k? holy crap. Google.com will take 5 minutes to open, and there's hardly any graphics.

128k? holy crap. Google.com will take 5 minutes to open, and there's hardly any graphics.

It's actually not THAT bad. I ran out of high speed for a couple days and with things like cache most sites I frequent loaded pretty quickly.

I mean, it's still bad, but definitely not useless nor does it take Google 5 minutes to load either.

Devil is in the details. This new plan automatically reduces video quality to 480P and any tethering is limited to 2G. You can of course change this for a mere $25 extra per month per line. I will stick with my 6GB that does not limit speed until you hit it.

Doh, I didn't notice the HD "add on" at first, T-Mobile is getting just as bad as Verizon now. It will cost $95 a month for T-Mobile + the ability to stream HD content.

Back