AT&T Note 9 charging issues after Pie update

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
Ever since the OTA update to Pie, my phone shows that it is fast charging like normal. However, when on the 5G-E network, it doesn't actually fast charge. It actually can't charge at all with screen onI, andajust maintains the charge. If I play music through Bluetooth or have the GPS running, it starts to discharge. If I'm on the regular 4G LTE network, I have no issues.
I have cleared the Delvak and that didn't help. Google doesn't seem to help at all. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'd rule out the charger/cable just to make sure it's not hardware; I assume you're already tried another charger and cable?

You can check charging type and speed with Ampere. Make sure your phone is recognizing the charger as an AC charger and not USB (Plugged type in the app) or else it's not going to be charging at full speed. You can also see the charge rate in that app too, which should be 1000+ mA for any wall charger. That app isn't completely accurate of course since it's not measuring power at the source, but it's good at giving you a good idea of charging rate without using a dedicated meter for it.

That said, my wife's T-Mobile Note 9 hasn't had any charging issues since the Pie update.

I'd rule out the charger/cable just to make sure it's not hardware; I assume you're already tried another charger and cable?

You can check charging type and speed with Ampere. Make sure your phone is recognizing the charger as an AC charger and not USB (Plugged type in the app) or else it's not going to be charging at full speed. You can also see the charge rate in that app too, which should be 1000+ mA for any wall charger. That app isn't completely accurate of course since it's not measuring power at the source, but it's good at giving you a good idea of charging rate without using a dedicated meter for it.

That said, my wife's T-Mobile Note 9 hasn't had any charging issues since the Pie update.

I don't think the issue is with the chargers. When I'm on 4G LTE, everything is fine and super duper charging works as it sshould.The only time I have any issues is when I drive to areas that have the 5G-E network from AT&T. I'm very curious if there is a software bug causing something. My discharge rate doesn't appear to be much higher in said areas, but it does seem like the network is slower compared to normal 4G LTE.

I don't think the issue is with the chargers. When I'm on 4G LTE, everything is fine and super duper charging works as it sshould.The only time I have any issues is when I drive to areas that have the 5G-E network from AT&T. I'm very curious if there is a software bug causing something. My discharge rate doesn't appear to be much higher in said areas, but it does seem like the network is slower compared to normal 4G LTE.

What's Ampere say though?

What's Ampere say though?

Hmm. Trying to install, just stays at "Download pending". Have verified that downloads enabled OTA and wifi. Restarted phone, same shit.
I think the Pie update broke something...might be time for a restore. Play Music has been weird as well since the update.

Hmm. Trying to install, just stays at "Download pending". Have verified that downloads enabled OTA and wifi. Restarted phone, same shit.
I think the Pie update broke something...might be time for a restore. Play Music has been weird as well since the update.

Prolly best to just factory reset then.. usually par for course with Samsung phones after a major update anyways, but fortunately Samsung's backup/restore utility makes it pretty easy to do without losing anything like your texts or settings.

I've been waiting for my wife to complain about something on her phone since the update, but other than the UI changes that she wasn't used to, I haven't heard anything out of her yet.

Prolly best to just factory reset then.. usually par for course with Samsung phones after a major update anyways, but fortunately Samsung's backup/restore utility makes it pretty easy to do without losing anything like your texts or settings.

I've been waiting for my wife to complain about something on her phone since the update, but other than the UI changes that she wasn't used to, I haven't heard anything out of her yet.

I've never had an issue post-update. Been using Samsung since the S2 :)

Screenshot_20190321-130723_Ampere.jpg

Back