AT&T lowers price for 1 Gbps fiber to $39.99/$49.99 a month for the first year then $59.99/$69.99 after

49 for me for only 2 months, then 69/mo.

Considering i'm paying 75 for 100/100... yea i switched.

Meanwhile, in Switzerland....

1583934130713.png

10gbps?!

50 dollars!

wow. fucking wow. 1gbps is a joke now.

just looked it up in the US that costs 4000-9000 a month. some can offer 2000. lol

just remember it was subsidized by taxes to put the infrastructure in and even though it was handed over to those companies for free it's heavily regulated by the government.. there's no way that shit would fly in the US nor would there be anyway to do something like that in a country the size of the US.

just remember it was subsidized by taxes to put the infrastructure in and even though it was handed over to those companies for free it's heavily regulated by the government.. there's no way that shit would fly in the US nor would there be anyway to do something like that in a country the size of the US.
what is the telecommunications act of 1996? it was heavily subsidized by taxes to the tune of 200 billion dollars.

edit: but in the case of switzerland the tax payers actually got what the government promised in return for the money in the US you got stadiums and cartels instead.

what is the telecommunications act of 1996? it was heavily subsidized by taxes to the tune of 200 billion dollars.

edit: but in the case of switzerland the tax payers actually got what the government promised in return for the money in the US you got stadiums and cartels instead.

This is why I wonder what happened to the money Verizon FIOS received to roll out their FIOS service but never actually completed the roll out.

I wish I still had the option for U-Verse. It was much better than my Frontier FIOS is. And it was far cheaper for more bandwidth.

Lol comcast is monopoly af

All I can get is 1000/35 for 90/mon what a fucking joke
I get 500Mbps from them for $60, not sure what 1Gig is but I remember it was an added cost that really didn't add much in the way of value to me. I will say the speed offerings in the area were rather tame (100Mbps was the max I think) not too long ago until AT&T moved in with their Uverse which at the time maxed at like 45Mbps I think, then Comcast poof started saying you can get up to 300 Mbps, then when AT&T finally stopped with that DSL subproduct bullshit and do actual fiber, BAM! Comcast now had 1000Mbps lines. And they were priced similar to AT&T at like $100 or so a month (AT&T was $90/month). So wouldn't surprise me in the least if you have this promo available in your area from AT&T that Comcast will follow suit and low pricing. Unfortunately Comcast only likes to show you the upgraded speeds when you go into their webserver and "modify internet" they don't like to show you sidegrades or downgrades.

Here is downloading Division 2 on Comcrap 1gbit
Looks like you're downloading at 1gbit.

You literally described how the US telecom system was built and continues to operate.

This is great, but most of us including me would happily pay $100 per month for 1gbs if we could get it. Expansion to more places is what we need more than anything. Its almost a shame to see them doing this because what motivation do they have to keep expanding when if they are not getting a premium for these higher tier speeds.

Where I am 2gb cable is $300 / month if its available, and ATT is only available in very sporadic and select areas..... You couldnt look at a map and guess for the life of you where they will have it. Many times its just an isolated apartment complex.

Something like 70% of the US is in telecom monopoly areas. The ATT deal is nice for the 1% of households where the service is available.

Also the irony is most people who have access to that ATT deal are in better shape anyway, IE around me ATT fiber is available in more luxury apartments, and the higher end neighborhoods. IE the people who are already plenty capable of affording higher priced plans are now going to be getting cheaper plans. Meanwhile everyone else is stuck with a cable monopoly that wants $120 for a fraction of that speed and pathetic upload speeds.

Over the last 20 years, I’ve had Comcast, Bright House, and Spectrum. Spectrum is easily the worst and it isn’t even close. They’re always increasing prices and I’ve had more outages in the last couple of years on Spectrum than the previous 18 on Comcast and Bright House. Every day around lunch time, my Internet drops a few times. When you call to ask for deals, they generally aren’t helpful. They suck hard and I hope Elon Musk’s satellite internet works and is all its cracked up to be because if that happens, I look forward to telling Spectrum to go jump off a cliff.

Hate to break it to you but unless the only thing you do is download movies satellite is always going to suck. Look at how shitty its panned out for everything from radio, to television and that doesn't even touch on how awful it is for gaming.

I don't have access to fiber (I am literally 2 blocks from a cornfield) but I do get ~470M down and ~23M up for $55/month through Spectrum and that is fine for my needs.

Argggg.. I hate AT&T so much. They have fiber one street over.. which actually intersects our street and have been offering gig speeds for over a year. I can actually follow their cable along the street to our corner and see it branch off and go down our street with a service loop at the pole outside my house, which has been there for 8 months and I've called once a month about service and they just keep saying "not available at your address". No answers why since the cable is there, no updates, and no ETA for availability. 8 months with those speeds literally being dangled in my face every day I pull into the driveway.

This is great, but most of us including me would happily pay $100 per month for 1gbs if we could get it. Expansion to more places is what we need more than anything. Its almost a shame to see them doing this because what motivation do they have to keep expanding when if they are not getting a premium for these higher tier speeds.

Where I am 2gb cable is $300 / month if its available, and ATT is only available in very sporadic and select areas..... You couldnt look at a map and guess for the life of you where they will have it. Many times its just an isolated apartment complex.

Paying $50/mo for internet instead of $100/mo works out to a 2080Ti FE every two years (ie, every release cycle).

I think most on [H] would have a better gaming experience if they made that swap.

Paying $50/mo for internet instead of $100/mo works out to a 2080Ti FE every two years (ie, every release cycle).

I think most on [H] would have a better gaming experience if they made that swap.

Most people on H arent going to have a 1 gb option at all which is the bigger point. And the matter of fact is they are probablys still going to pay $70 to 120 for whatever crap speed they are getting. IME a typical cable connection with 100 to 200 MBs is often saturated by a family of people using it. Much of that might be the fact we have crappy upload. That 2080ti isnt doing shit if you have 400 ping every time someone in the house wants to download a game or a couple people start streaming. The only people I see raving about this seem to be the people who already have access to a damn good connection. So of course they like saving money.

Right, my FIOS offer gigabit for $90, but I pay $50/month for 100/100. Once the wife is done with school (and has a job), I might bump it up to 200/200 for $60/month, but only torrents and Steam would max that out.

I can wait for Gigabit speeds. I don't have a family with three wives and fifteen kids like everyone on The Internets seems to complain about :D

Seriously a family of four is somehow maxing-out a 200 mbps connection? What do they do, run ten simultaneous 4k Netflix streams on their ten different TVs?

The only issue you could possibly have with Comcast 200 mbps plan is the cap. but Games downloading is not going to happen every minute of every day, and uploads are pretty rare, and more than 2-3 simultaneous streams is unlikely. So it's not too hard to make sure you're not abusing your connection. No, most internet users are not your average [H] Digital Media Hoarder, with a 40TB ZFS disk array.

About the onlky case where the cap might hit you is if you work from home - then you should upgrade to business-class wih no cap.

Last edited:
What is even worse is, there is still a data cap on their gig plan.
slam in to the cap after the first week.

imagine having to ration out bandwidth.

just called my provider and went from 40 down to 100 for 10 bucks more.

Gigabit internet sounds good on paper but in reality how many sites can actually supply those speeds?

Right now I'm stuck with "only" 330Mbps download. I find that in 90%+ of cases, the place I'm downloading something from can't even supply that much bandwidth. About the only time I'm able to max it out is when I download a torrent with tons of seeds. Steam downloads can max it out sometimes.

Also, i'd rather be stuck with an 8Mbps DSL connection with no monthly cap than a Gigabit internet connection with a monthly cap. Thankfully my 330Mbps connection has no cap. I usually transfer about 10TB+ per month, so something like a 1TB cap would not cut it, to say the least...

Most people on H arent going to have a 1 gb option at all which is the bigger point. And the matter of fact is they are probablys still going to pay $70 to 120 for whatever crap speed they are getting. IME a typical cable connection with 100 to 200 MBs is often saturated by a family of people using it. Much of that might be the fact we have crappy upload. That 2080ti isnt doing shit if you have 400 ping every time someone in the house wants to download a game or a couple people start streaming. The only people I see raving about this seem to be the people who already have access to a damn good connection. So of course they like saving money.

Online gaming data movement peaks at about 0.2Mbps. If your ping is getting crushed when someone in the house is downloading, the problem is your router not your pipe. A fat pipe won't fix an old or broken router.

Gigabit internet sounds good on paper but in reality how many sites can actually supply those speeds?

Right now I'm stuck with "only" 330Mbps download. I find that in 90%+ of cases, the place I'm downloading something from can't even supply that much bandwidth. About the only time I'm able to max it out is when I download a torrent with tons of seeds. Steam downloads can max it out sometimes.

Also, i'd rather be stuck with an 8Mbps DSL connection with no monthly cap than a Gigabit internet connection with a monthly cap. Thankfully my 330Mbps connection has no cap. I usually transfer about 10TB+ per month, so something like a 1TB cap would not cut it, to say the least...

An 8Mbit connection is the same as a data cap on a 1Gbit connection. It's just that your cap is defined by the number of hours in a day rather than GBs in a download.

I mean, a 1TB cap does seem to be a bit ridiculous. I'm routinely over 500GB as a solo user who doesn't stream media or download it. I'm hitting that level just from game and OS updates. It's easy to see how a family with multiple gamers or a single gamer with multiple machines could exceed that cap. That said, I'll take a 1Gbps connection with 1TB cap over an uncapped 0.08Gbps connection every single day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

FWIW, I'm routinely able to pull 700Mbps on large downloads that are well distributed - specifically, game updates/downloads. That's over a cable connection advertised as 980Mbps down.

I live in milwaukee and going by ATT'S website internet isnt available at my address, yet i get att gigabit fiber through a local pc shop(milwaukee pc) for $90/month. Would be nice to switch directly to att to get this deal.
Screenshot (22).png

Right, my FIOS offer gigabit for $90, but I pay $50/month for 100/100. Once the wife is done with school (and has a job), I might bump it up to 200/200 for $60/month, but only torrents and Steam would max that out.

I can wait for Gigabit speeds. I don't have a family with three wives and fifteen kids like everyone on The Internets seems to complain about :D

Seriously a family of four is somehow maxing-out a 200 mbps connection? What do they do, run ten simultaneous 4k Netflix streams on their ten different TVs?

The only issue you could possibly have with Comcast 200 mbps plan is the cap. but Games downloading is not going to happen every minute of every day, and uploads are pretty rare, and more than 2-3 simultaneous streams is unlikely. So it's not too hard to make sure you're not abusing your connection. No, most internet users are not your average [H] Digital Media Hoarder, with a 40TB ZFS disk array.

About the onlky case where the cap might hit you is if you work from home - then you should upgrade to business-class wih no cap.

Most people do not have symmetrical data, in my case if one person wants to upload stream to twitch it pretty much wrecks everyone else on the networks connections. And yes in any normal house with normal people 4 1080p streams is incredibly reasonable. I mean the real question is what exactly are none of you doing that means you are so out of touch you don't think this is happening, I think most of you just arent aware its happening or something and don't realize you are streaming at low quality. The vast majority of people online in modern times are watching some type of content, be it netflix, hulu, youtube, espn sports, twitch or whatever. And this is backed up by facts, in 2018 netflix consumed 15% of all internet traffic all by itself. Believe it or not most of your wives and daughters don't spend their time browsing hardforums in text only. Currently in my house with comcast cable we need to regulate people to some degree, certain rules need to be put in place, my daughter is only allowed to stream to twitch at certain times, games can only be downloaded when you ask around and make sure no one is in an important match etc.... If I had 1000 MBs down and at least 100 MBs up I think a ton of those rules could go away. But more often then not I find most people just aren't knowledgeable enough to know they are being affected or what is happening, but I would expect a place like Hardforum to be knowledgeable. Since we are already paying a $70 / month for what we have, yes I would gladly pay a paltry extra $30 to get a connection that would actually allow most people to do whatever they want and make it so I have one less thing to regulate and manage.

This is why I wonder what happened to the money Verizon FIOS received to roll out their FIOS service but never actually completed the roll out.

Well, here in NYC, I'm pretty sure it went into some pol's "re-election campaign", or some such (legal) scam (Verizon promised to spend a lot of money building up the necessary infrastructure/wiring/etc, which conveniently slowed down, way down, when the 08 financial crisis hit).

When I moved into my part of town in 2007, Verizon was doing heavy advertising, mentioning that FIOS would be available throughout the city within 1-2 years ... it was making all the local rags (NY Times, NY Post, Daily News, free papers, etc).

Only got FIOS about 2-3 years ago (the roll-out into my area stopped 3 blocks from my house in 2009, and a lot of folks, myself included, were PISSED).

TBH, I'm surprised (but happy) that I finally got FIOS (even if it took 8 or so years) ... couldn't stand Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum), b/c of constant drop-offs in service, just when I needed it most (work-related stuff). TWC was good when I first got it, but started having major issues after 3 years -- just about the time Verizon really kicked up its FIOS adverts in NYC.

No surprise, after a ton of folks switched over to FIOS in my neighborhood, Spectrum bought out TWC, then proceeded to go on an ad spree, flooding all the mailboxes around my area with junk mail adverts (no contract, free modem, $44.99/month for 12 months w/125 HD channel bundle, guaranteed 200 Mbps speeds, and so on). Still get the Spectrum junk mail a couple of times a month. I do see the Spectrum service vans around from time to time, so I guess the lower prices are very appealing to some of my neighbors. Could be service issues too, of course.

If you are a single person living alone, then that is what you care about, but many people live in families or have roommates. High download isn't about getting 1000 MB/s from one source, its about getting 100 MB/s from 5 sources and still being able to watch a high resolution movie or quickly download a game, its about making sure that if you are doing something you enjoy or need to you don't have to tell everyone else to get off the internet so it will work well for you. Its about allowing every IOT device, phone, tablet and everything else to work on their own and have a negligible effect on your network. Just think an average family of 4, 2 parents and 2 kids. Each person has a high power device, that might be a game console, computer, or laptop, each person also has a mobile device, could be a phone or tablet or portable console, and the house has a handful of IOT devices, amazon echo, some light bulbs, smart plugs, a camera. The shit adds up really fast, each one of those items needs to update, transmit data. The same exactly arguments were made when multicore CPUs started coming on the scene, a bunch of nay sayers said but its not needed it has no value. But people who actually used it started to notice that it did matter, their systems just felt better, snappier. Well that is because even if the game or application wasn't well multi threaded, the other cores could be doing back ground stuff for the OS, running smaller programs etc... And all that allowed the one core to just concentrate on on fully dedicating itself to the power hungry task. And look where we are now, in the core wars.

Online gaming data movement peaks at about 0.2Mbps. If your ping is getting crushed when someone in the house is downloading, the problem is your router not your pipe. A fat pipe won't fix an old or broken router.

I think you are mistaking my point, why shouldn't someone in my house be able to download, and others watch movies, or youtube? That's what we want out of a connection, the ability for everyone to do what they need or want to do. Without us needing to run around and carefully manage it, time is money and everyones lives now days are very busy the last thing we want to do is all be sitting around waiting to play a game because Apex legends just launched and update and some members of the family are downloading it. If we had a faster connection we could either be done downloading it faster even if it did cause lots of lag, or we could just play right through it.

Thanks for the heads up, just upgraded from 300@$50 to 1000@$49.99

I asked about the equipment fees, as currently I pay none, she said that will stay the same. So saving a penny and now got 1000mbits down. Well, once I get home and reboot the modem. :)

Hate to break it to you but unless the only thing you do is download movies satellite is always going to suck. Look at how shitty its panned out for everything from radio, to television and that doesn't even touch on how awful it is for gaming.

I’m an engineer so I’m very well aware of the differences. You’re missing some critical differences between Musk’s satellite constellations vs garbage like HughesNet. Musk claims his satellite internet has significantly lower latency than current satellite implementations because of the much lower orbit and faster long distance links because they use (IIRC) lasers between satellites. If it pans out, we’re talking 25-35 ms instead of 500 ms of latency. I’m not an Elon fan, but I’m even less of a fan of Spectrum and hope stuff like Elon’s plans bankrupts them. 25-35 ms of latency is perfectly acceptable for my use cases.

Last edited:
I had AT&T if u count my time with Bell south for over 23 years for high speed internet. First with ISDN then with dsl -- Uverse
for the last gosh 10 years i think. I am about sick of dealing with them. Its not the service that's the issue with me. Its the unsavory business practices. What ever
price they are quoting want be honored for long.

I am trapped though over a barrel as the only other choice is sux cable better know as cox around here. U know the one where the
service drops if u got a 10 mile wind.

Sorry for the rant .

I think you are mistaking my point, why shouldn't someone in my house be able to download, and others watch movies, or youtube? That's what we want out of a connection, the ability for everyone to do what they need or want to do. Without us needing to run around and carefully manage it, time is money and everyones lives now days are very busy the last thing we want to do is all be sitting around waiting to play a game because Apex legends just launched and update and some members of the family are downloading it. If we had a faster connection we could either be done downloading it faster even if it did cause lots of lag, or we could just play right through it.

You need to put caps on everyone so someone can download the Apex update while someone is currently playing. I agree you could use more speed to make it better but you would still have to cap everyone to stop someone from lagging everyone else.

I’ll have to check this out as I dropped AT&T Mobile at Christmas. Plan to drop U-Verse TV soon and was just going to keep Internet until a local Coop finishes their buildout to me. Suspect really good local price wars when I have 3 companies that can all get me 1Gbps down at least.

Back