AT&T Finally Delivers On 1Gbps Promise In Austin

HardOCP News

[H] News
AT&T is only a year late delivering on its promise of 1Gbps speeds in Austin. I know that sounds bad but, if you know AT&T, that's actually pretty damn speedy for them! :D

AT&T launched its GigaPower service, which uses fiber to deliver the broadband service, in December but wasn't initially able to deliver the 1Gbps speeds to end users. Instead it offered a 300Mbps service and promised that an upgrade was coming in 2014. Now, the company is fulfilling that promise.

in the meantime AT&T works with Verizon and Comcast in the United States to repeal Net Neutrality so they can sell tiered services.

what kills me is im in anaheim, on one of 2, straight FTTP rollouts they have on teh uverse network and the fastest i can get is 18mb/s

they have nothing but excuses for me about getting more speed. The last one was "if we turn it op, it could fry the fiber box"

"Fry the fiber box?!"

LOL! They really said that? Sad part is 99% of people would be "oh ok, that sounds bad, I'll shut up now"

I don't get that about companies.. You are willing to pay more for better speeds but yet they dink around and gives excuses to why they can't..

in the meantime AT&T works with Verizon and Comcast in the United States to repeal Net Neutrality so they can sell tiered services.

Exactly THIS^.

The simple fact of the matter is that any attempt to increase the standard will result in the big 3 complaining that there is not enough infrastructure to handle the load. This is, in all honesty true for some areas. However, the cost to increase throughput in those areas pails in comparison to the revenue they generate from many of those same locales with low bandwidth capabilities.

I digress however in stating that what they are shooting for, what they are actively lobbying everywhere right now, is to bill the consumer per gigabit and then bill them again for "premier" connectivity to your favorite websites through fast lane access. Think of it as an extension to the Cable TV paradigm.

I think the biggest excuse is "because we don't have any competition so why should we even offer you more?"

Oh hey Austin gets gig... wait Google is there that's why.

I guess in business it's better to make sure no one gets a foothold in an area more so than expanding in areas where you already have a foothold?

TWC and AT&T are doing this in the Austin area because of Google.

They are trying to make up before we break up. :D

Google Fiber needs to expand to all major area's in the US. This would finally change the game...

Meanwhile...here's my providers updates service:

pixel.gif

Back