AT&T Fiber to the Home ?

Dark Shade

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, possibly not 'home'; I live in an apartment complex with multi-unit structures. There has been some construction nearby recently and just today, a pair of AT&T reps were canvassing the area asking residents some questions. I was out at the time, but my wife talked to them briefly and they said that they were dropping fiber nearby.

I don't know if this is a preemptive response to the possibility of Google Fiber coming into my area (north Atlanta) or part of a planned rollout from before. There's not much to go on with some searches other than some anecdotes of something called 'Gigafiber' or something.

Has anyone heard of this? I assume I'll know more tomorrow or so when I actually get to talk to these reps.

Its amazing how fast impossible internet speeds become possible once Google says they're moving to an area. AT&T must have some very talented engineers working for them.

There are actuall 4 type of uverse

Adsl2+ ipdslam uverse (nvg510 rg) internet and voip only areas
Fttn vdsl2 (single and bonded pair) in triple play areas
Ftth bpon (limited to 3hd streams and 18mbit internet) triple play
Ftth gpon is what they are rolling in austin that supportz tripple play 300mbit internet, soon to be gigabit.

Even if it is gpon ftth you may not qialify for the 300mbit Internet yes, it sounds like austin is the beta test.

Their 4g lte towers run on the ptm fiber ring for the uverse too so the buildout may be for that.

There is nothing wrong with fttn vdsl2, you can get 45mbit internet and they are saying it will be 95mbit in the future. We will have to see 17a profiles and vectoring for that to happen. Right now they only run 12a profiles.

Alcatel lucent also makes several fttb units for large apartment complexes. Fiber into the basement, vdsl from there. You would need to have 96+ units in a building for that to be cost effective.

Last edited:
In my parent's neighborhood originally built in 1957, they ran fiber to the premises for U-verse. In my neighborhood in the same city, but built in 1972, they just did fiber to the curb.

We had the same speeds available to each of us while they were still there, 12 down/3 up which was faster than cable offered at the time. Shortly after my parents moved, they started offering 25/3 in my area.

If I wasn't a static IP addict and for the fact Uverse will unblock incoming port 25 per customer request even on a non-business connection and leave it unblocked as long as they don't detect an open relay, I might look at moving to faster cable service. I like running my own mail server that only supports TLS encrypted POP/IMAP connections for sending/receiving mail from my extended family without ever being clear text on any one else's infrastructure.

They still don't offer 45Mbps service in my area yet, and I don't know if they do offer it in the fiber to the premises section of town; even though i could get up to 100 Mbps service on cable.

I know here in Austin UVerse is upping their speed to gig as well. They're starting at 300mb/s then upping it later this year. But, it's only in some areas.

AT&T has been able to do fiber for quite a long time, along with several other companies. But, why change when people will pay outrageous amounts for a xMbit connection?

This is why I approve of Google's fiber rollout, forcing companies to compete or be removed from the area. Several towns over the past few years have started their own gigabit fiber services for under $100, and happily I will be moving to an upcoming Google Fiber location in the next year or so.

My parents are also in the North Atlanta area and just moved into a new home. They do have a ATT U-Verse fiber connection there. I know this because the techs hadn't been trained on the installation procedures so there was 10 ATT trucks at my parents house for almost 8 hours installing their internet and phones.

I've got a 45mbs connection,and when they came out to hook it up back in Dec.The tech guy said it was an 100mbps connection. and one more thing.since about feb or so they've been people laying orange pipe all over town.looked at one of the poles they've been sticking up literally everywhere and it said att. Does that mean we're gonna get some kind of fiber high speed connection? :eek:

Last edited:
There are actuall 4 type of uverse

Adsl2+ ipdslam uverse (nvg510 rg) internet and voip only areas
Fttn vdsl2 (single and bonded pair) in triple play areas
Ftth bpon (limited to 3hd streams and 18mbit internet) triple play
Ftth gpon is what they are rolling in austin that supportz tripple play 300mbit internet, soon to be gigabit.

Even if it is gpon ftth you may not qialify for the 300mbit Internet yes, it sounds like austin is the beta test.

Their 4g lte towers run on the ptm fiber ring for the uverse too so the buildout may be for that.

There is nothing wrong with fttn vdsl2, you can get 45mbit internet and they are saying it will be 95mbit in the future. We will have to see 17a profiles and vectoring for that to happen. Right now they only run 12a profiles.

Alcatel lucent also makes several fttb units for large apartment complexes. Fiber into the basement, vdsl from there. You would need to have 96+ units in a building for that to be cost effective.

Ha, Was going to reply with roughly the above but then saw your post hit pretty much all my points. Austin is the beta for our gigapower service. Once we start pushing our 17a profiles with vectoring. the >45 will be available to anyone under 2200 ft and the 45 will be able to reach the ones up to 5k ft out.

In my parent's neighborhood originally built in 1957, they ran fiber to the premises for U-verse. In my neighborhood in the same city, but built in 1972, they just did fiber to the curb.

We had the same speeds available to each of us while they were still there, 12 down/3 up which was faster than cable offered at the time. Shortly after my parents moved, they started offering 25/3 in my area.

If I wasn't a static IP addict and for the fact Uverse will unblock incoming port 25 per customer request even on a non-business connection and leave it unblocked as long as they don't detect an open relay, I might look at moving to faster cable service. I like running my own mail server that only supports TLS encrypted POP/IMAP connections for sending/receiving mail from my extended family without ever being clear text on any one else's infrastructure.

They still don't offer 45Mbps service in my area yet, and I don't know if they do offer it in the fiber to the premises section of town; even though i could get up to 100 Mbps service on cable.

If you are offered 24/3 currently, you can get 45m. You must ask for pair bonding before it will show available in our system though.

I've got a 45mbs connection,and when they came out to hook it up back in Dec.The tech guy said it was an 100mbps connection. and one more thing.since about feb or so they've been people laying orange pipe all over town.looked at one of the poles they've been sticking up literally everywhere and it said att. Does that mean we're gonna get some kind of fiber high speed connection? :eek:

The tech that said it was a 100Mbps connection was referring to the total amount of bandwidth reaching the house, we then cap the total amount one can use from there. IE for 45m, the profile caps the user at 55m. The gap, is used for tv/voice.

Yes, I do work for AT&T.

The tech that said it was a 100Mbps connection was referring to the total amount of bandwidth reaching the house, we then cap the total amount one can use from there. IE for 45m, the profile caps the user at 55m. The gap, is used for tv/voice.

Yes, I do work for AT&T.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info Mr.att :) now what if i don't use tv. why cant they bump it up to 75Mbps?:confused:

Back