AT&T Copies T-Mobile's Data Rollover Feature

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like AT&T is copying T-Mobile's recently announced data rollover feature.

If you have four lines and have a 15GB AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan and only use 10GB in a given month, you’ll roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available to use within the next month. If you were to only use 10GB in the second month, you’ll again roll over 5GB and have a total of 20GB available the next month. Bottom line: if you have unused plan data this month, it automatically rolls over to be used within the next month in case you need more than your plan’s allotment.

This is why we love competition and I respect T-mobile for making a difference.

But I think T Mobile rollover data still better than ATT and ATT still the same greedy co.

Originally Posted by AT&T
However, Rollover Data automatically expires after one billing period, and unused Rollover Data won’t carry over to the next month.

But I think T Mobile rollover data still better than ATT and ATT still the same greedy co.

If you can use it. I know when I had Tmo their data coverage was horrible. Key word being had, I left them, went to AT&T and now I get great data coverage. I'm not saying AT&T is a great company but their network is far superior to Tmo's.

I have ATT and I'm sure they are doing this only to say we have that feature too but it's half assed. Of course they wont say that.

If you can use it. I know when I had Tmo their data coverage was horrible. Key word being had, I left them, went to AT&T and now I get great data coverage. I'm not saying AT&T is a great company but their network is far superior to Tmo's.

AT&T phone service doesn't even work in my house. my house sits in a dead spot of like 50 meters because every where around it, it works fine.

and its not like i am in the boonies either i am right by the city about 2 miles from a major hospital and surrounded by schools, and a country club right across the street.

i can't complain too much since i dont pay for the service and get a free phone but it is a little annoying its a dead spot in a prime location.

So they need to break their contracts, and throttle their unlimited customers at 5GB.

But there's plenty of bandwidth for rollovers? First class a$$holes right there folks. :mad:

One upside of this announcement was it forced me to go look at my plan to see if I was one of the affected plans and I discovered that they had changed the plan limits and the 4GB plan I was on didn't exist anymore and I grabbed the 6GB plan for no additional cost (and it should also have the rollover) ... it is kind of a pain when companies don't upgrade their legacy plans to the new plans (when the costs are the same or cheaper ... had that with a gym membership once as well where I upgraded the membership and they didn't charge me a new rate since I was already at the rate for the new service and they didn't tell me :mad: )

AT&T's data roll-over only lasts for 1 month. So if you don't use your 1Gb of data roll-over in the next month, it goes away.

T-Mobile's data roll-over lasts for 1 year. So after the year all of your roll-over also goes away.

However T-Mobile's unlimited data is the better option...actual unlimited data with no throttling.

I had been with AT&T from when they bought Cingular until last month. At this point T-Mobile's deals are just too good... I got a 2-line family plan with unlimited everything, including data, tethering, unlimited international data roaming with Edge speeds, unlimited international calling to land lines, unlimited international texting, and either free or <$0.20/min (depending on country) international calling to mobile numbers for $119 including tax.... You just can't beat that.

The ONLY thing that made me hesitant to switch to T-Mobile was the coverage. I haven't had a problem yet, but I am in city/suburban area. Everyone says once you get out of town the coverage is shit. However I look at it as me switching to T-Mobile is an investment to them improving their coverage. The T-Mobile customers I talk to says it's already massively better than a few years ago. I hope it continues.

T-mobile actually has more towers than at&t or verizon, but they have a shorter range, due to the high-frequncy/short range spectrum they were forced to use

at&t and verizon have used their power and wealth to keep t-mobile from buying the low frequency/long range spectrum they needed. Both companies are currently sitting on a bunch of unused long-range spectrum that they bought for no reason other than to keep t-mobile (and sprint) from getting it.

It's ironic that people love at&t and Verizon (the bastard sons of Ma Bell) for being essentially evil.

T-mobile actually has more towers than at&t or verizon, but they have a shorter range, due to the high-frequncy/short range spectrum they were forced to use

at&t and verizon have used their power and wealth to keep t-mobile from buying the low frequency/long range spectrum they needed. Both companies are currently sitting on a bunch of unused long-range spectrum that they bought for no reason other than to keep t-mobile (and sprint) from getting it.

It's ironic that people love at&t and Verizon (the bastard sons of Ma Bell) for being essentially evil.

didn't know that. have tmobile for a while and i love the flexibility and price, and I have great coverage where I live (a big city), I can't deny outside that area coverage is spotty.

Personally, I think there should be shared spectrum and common cell phone towers, and companies should compete on service and price. maybe bandwidth could be allocated by amount contributed to maintenance/upgrades?

I wonder how other countries (besides the US) handle spectrum allocation.

How about they stop throttling my unlimited connection? My phone is practically useless the last few days of my billing month because of it.

Tmo's rollover is 10 gb, vs att's 5.

There is no limit on the amount of data rolled over but it only lasts one month:

Example: If you have our 15GB AT&T Mobile Share Value plan and only use 10GB, you’ll roll over 5GB (your Rollover Data balance) to the next month for a total of 20GB to be used within the next month. There’s no cap on the amount of unused plan data within a given month that’s eligible for rollover. However, Rollover Data automatically expires after one billing period, and unused Rollover Data won’t carry over to the next month.

How about they stop throttling my unlimited connection? My phone is practically useless the last few days of my billing month because of it.

When was the last time you changed your cell plan? The new "unlimited LTE" plan doesn't have any throttling at all, it was only the older "unlimited internet" plans that had throttling.

I have tested this, and used 30gb+ in one billing cycle with no problems.

When I switched plans 2 years ago, it didn't raise my bill at all. I don't know if this is still the case.

This is why we love competition and I respect T-mobile for making a difference.

Actually T-Mobile mostly copied Cspire. Of course the latter is a small player, while T-Mobile the #4 carrier, but it doesn't alter the fact that T-Mobile just copied what was already done and AT&T is pretty much doing the same.

This is what all the wireless carriers do. One side has an actual semi-original idea and everyone copies it. Alternatively, one carrier raises (or lowers) prices on a service and virtually everyone follows. Don't believe me? Go look at how the prices charged for SMS went from around $5.00 to as much as $20.00. And while you think that's no longer the case, I can assure you that behind the scenes that all inclusive, unlimited plan breaks it out by Voice, Data, SMS and MMS.

just open the floodgates. These phone companies have been holding back long enough.

I pay so much money to ATT for shitty 12mbit too.

Back