AT&T Changes ‘Unlimited’ Data Throttling Policy

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though AT&T is easing up a bit on its data throttling policy for customers that still have unlimited data plans. Sure, it took a $100M fine to make them do it, but it's better than nothing. ;)

Up until this week, however, those subscribers saw their data speeds throttled significantly in congested areas after they used 3GB of HSPA data or 5GB of LTE data in a billing period. So what’s changed? That painfully low throttling threshold has now been raised all the way up to 22GB.

My unlimited data (even with throttling) is literally the only thing keeping me with AT&T, so I'm glad to see this.

My unlimited data (even with throttling) is literally the only thing keeping me with AT&T, so I'm glad to see this.

Same here. I've been averaging around 8 GB a month. I think that number will drop in the next 5-6 months since my GF is moving and getting internet services.

That said, I foresee AT&T making to so that you will have to move to a tiered plan for a reduced rate phone. If that happens, I think I'll just transition to unlocked phones. Also means if/when I go out the country I'll be able to use international SIMs.

To me that sounds like the service is now less limited, not unlimited.

You are never happy, are you.

I'm happy when services are appropriately worded and not misleading. As much as I disagree with data caps, I'm for a business being able to sell a product that they want to bring to market. If you want to limit it to 22 GB and then snail pace it after that, that's fine, just don't tell me the service is unlimited and then put that cap on it. To me that's actually blatent and intentional fraud - selling me one then and then deliberately delivering something else.

T-Mobile needs to follow this example.

What example are you talking about? I have unlimited on T-Mobile and used 297GB last month... (no internet broadband available where I live so we do all of our Netflix/Hulu/HBO over the cell tethered to a slimport adapter)

What example are you talking about? I have unlimited on T-Mobile and used 297GB last month... (no internet broadband available where I live so we do all of our Netflix/Hulu/HBO over the cell tethered to a slimport adapter)

So you are one of those "thieves" their CEO was complaining about :).

In all seriousness, I don't see how people can expect the cellular operators to offer real unlimited data for consumer level prices. The cost of spectrum is very high. At the same time I think it's stupid the wired internet ISPs think they can charge overages for some made up quotas. The bandwidth cost for wired connections is near zero, where the cost for wireless is very high.

Maybe one day they'll move wireless to a utility like electricity and merge all the spectrum/towers into one and then individual isp's/carriers will just manage the billing/etc. Would result in much better coverage and available bandwidth.

And thus you are violating the TOS you accepted and T-Mobile will eventually kick you off their network. It only takes a few people doing what you are doing to cause a problem for others.

I'm surprised AT&T hasn't just cancelled any sort of unlimited plan, I mean there is no legal right to stay grandfathered into a plan that no longer exists is there? This isn't like rent control for cell phones.

Says something about the state of broadband in the country, if you live somewhere where they're is no broadband at all, even DSL?, and yet you get T-mobile coverage one that is notoriously not very good outside of major cities.

Says something about the state of broadband in the country, if you live somewhere where they're is no broadband at all, even DSL?, and yet you get T-mobile coverage one that is notoriously not very good outside of major cities.

I live in the country and I have to do the same thing.

Only other option is some crappy satellite for 124$ a month with 30gb data cap

And thus you are violating the TOS you accepted and T-Mobile will eventually kick you off their network. It only takes a few people doing what you are doing to cause a problem for others.

You can't say unlimited than say in a TOS... use too much is against policy. I don't think "unlimited" means you these companies think it means.

That is the problem imo. IF they just said 20GB is included, we wouldn't have this conversation or debate. I completely understand and support throttling after certain usage to maintain network quality... just be up front.

TOS is shit in most cases, horrible practice. So much garbage and lawyer wording you can't expect most people to know what is up.

Tethering is a non-issue imo just an excuse, even less of an excuse now that we have chromecasts and 18 other ways to fling mobile device usage outside its own screen so tether no needed anymore.

Thank god for outside Murican unlimited data plans.. I have true unlimited 4G connection.. 150mbit/50Mbit max.. Best month usage close to 200 gigs just with phone + shared connection with tablet.. + unlimited calls and txt msgs.. only around 50 $ / month..

And this is why I dislike this country more and more. Companies can get away with shit all the time.

How is using my cellular phone on an unlimited bandwidth plan streaming video voilating TOS? I have an allotted amount per month for tethering to my PC which I use up each month too. Can you point that out to me?

I'm surprised AT&T hasn't just cancelled any sort of unlimited plan, I mean there is no legal right to stay grandfathered into a plan that no longer exists is there? This isn't like rent control for cell phones.

Because it's a contract actually yes it is a legal right to be grandfathered in. Verizon still has many too.

Because it's a contract actually yes it is a legal right to be grandfathered in. Verizon still has many too.

Oh, they definitely try to cancel them though.

It's funny when AT&T tells me that I can upgrade my plan to a newer 5GB plan that costs $15 more than what I'm currently paying. No thanks. Last time I got a new phone from them, they tried the same BS as well.

"So the new 2 year contract means you'll have a new plan"
"I've renewed it multiple times and retained my old plan"
"Yes, well now you have to..."
"No. You are going to let me keep my old plan, lower the price of my old plan since I'll be getting my phone elsewhere, or I'm switching providers immediately."
*starts frantically clicking around on their screen* "Well, it looks like you can keep your old plan"

10GB of Cricket is $55/mo.. just saying.

Exactly what I'm using. Lack of roaming sucks, but it sure beats the he'll out of paying one of the primary carriers $130+ per month for 4-8GB with roaming.

Exactly what I'm using. Lack of roaming sucks, but it sure beats the he'll out of paying one of the primary carriers $130+ per month for 4-8GB with roaming.

Unless you're traversing the sticks this isn't a problem with Cricket. I have Cricket and have yet to have a major problem. It used to be that I would have a small gap here and there on some farm to market roads I ended up on in West Texas, but even now, those are filled in.

Since the Cricket network is the AT&T network, it is a very viable option for most people.

The so called "unlimited" plan throttles my phone at 5.0GB. It's unlimited sure, but only fast up to 5GB. After that it drops to the Edge network.

Unless you're traversing the sticks this isn't a problem with Cricket. I have Cricket and have yet to have a major problem. It used to be that I would have a small gap here and there on some farm to market roads I ended up on in West Texas, but even now, those are filled in.

Since the Cricket network is the AT&T network, it is a very viable option for most people.

For work, I do traverse the sticks...center of the nation, great plains. When I'm at home and around the city, AT&T's network is flawless...4G LTE coverage everywhere and throughput speed is quite fast. I can live without the roaming when I'm at some of the work sites because I'm usually not there but for a couple/few hours max 1-3 times per week.

And this is why I dislike this country more and more. Companies can get away with shit all the time.

Yes, it's called a free market. You are also free not to give them your money.

Go check out metered internet and hard caps in markets like Australia.

For work, I do traverse the sticks...center of the nation, great plains. When I'm at home and around the city, AT&T's network is flawless...4G LTE coverage everywhere and throughput speed is quite fast. I can live without the roaming when I'm at some of the work sites because I'm usually not there but for a couple/few hours max 1-3 times per week.

Ah, that sucks. There are parts of far West Texas and the valley further south that don't get coverage, but usually those gaps hit all carriers, even Verizon.

I'm sure if worked in West Texas though I would find more gaps, but then again I likely would have a company provided phone or just go with Verizon.

I do agree though, for most beaten paths, Cricket is outstanding. I've used hangouts with a wifi signal too once or twice when I couldn't get a solid cell signal.

You can't say unlimited than say in a TOS... use too much is against policy. I don't think "unlimited" means you these companies think it means.

That is the problem imo. IF they just said 20GB is included, we wouldn't have this conversation or debate. I completely understand and support throttling after certain usage to maintain network quality... just be up front.

TOS is shit in most cases, horrible practice. So much garbage and lawyer wording you can't expect most people to know what is up.

Tethering is a non-issue imo just an excuse, even less of an excuse now that we have chromecasts and 18 other ways to fling mobile device usage outside its own screen so tether no needed anymore.

Ever tried taking doggy bags out of an all you can eat buffet? Did you get all bitchy with them?

Ever tried taking doggy bags out of an all you can eat buffet? Did you get all bitchy with them?

That's not the same thing. If you ask for a to go box at a buffet, you will get told no. It's unlimited food while you are there.

When unlimited data was sold, there was nothing pointed out to anyone on how they could use that data. It might have been in the TOS that you can't use it like a server (I don't recall to be honest), but it was as clear as mud back then.

I don't think wireless should be allowed to be unlimited as there are finite limits to it, unlike fiber internet which has potential for bandwidth for days. Still though, it was sold that way and the vendors should honor it.

That's not the same thing. If you ask for a to go box at a buffet, you will get told no. It's unlimited food while you are there.

When unlimited data was sold, there was nothing pointed out to anyone on how they could use that data. It might have been in the TOS that you can't use it like a server (I don't recall to be honest), but it was as clear as mud back then.

I don't think wireless should be allowed to be unlimited as there are finite limits to it, unlike fiber internet which has potential for bandwidth for days. Still though, it was sold that way and the vendors should honor it.

No, not the same thing? But it STILL says All you can eat, right? The sign on the door doesn't typically say "while you are here".

Most places will put it on a card on the table, their TOS as it were.

Besides, when "unlimited" data services were first introduced, technology hadn't yet matured to the point where people could seriously abuse it.

So thats the best you could come up with?

I would get all bitchy if I payed for all you can eat and they told me that I ate enough and should leave.

Buffets have hours of business and physical locations, those are clear rules and limitations, these TOS do not have these.

At one point limiting tethering made some sense, device capabilities limited expected usage so even if they used unlimited all day infrastructure could handle it. But a tethered computer could blow those native limitations AND infrastructure plans out the window. Even then one could argue they should automatically assume devices will use unlimited bandwidth 24/7

Though now with 101 streaming apps, phones almost has powerful as PC device, docks, casting it makes little logical sense.

How is using my cellular phone on an unlimited bandwidth plan streaming video voilating TOS? I have an allotted amount per month for tethering to my PC which I use up each month too. Can you point that out to me?

He just works for a carrier and wants you to feel bad for using up the data. If a carrier can't handle the congestion then upgrade the network. Also don't label it unlimited when it's clearly not unlimited. Don't like it? I'll find another carrier.

Internet data isn't a finite resource. If you need more bandwidth you can just upgrade the infrastructure.

So thats the best you could come up with?

I don't know why I even bother with these types of threads. People that abuse the system have a mentality that won't allow them to see it for what it is, and those of us that understand the bigger picture, will never be able to impart this wisdom.

Internet data isn't a finite resource. If you need more bandwidth you can just upgrade the infrastructure.

Everything is finite, and "just upgrade the infrastructure"? Do you think this is your home Wi-Fi setup, you just go buy a new router and re-type some passwords and that's it?

I love it.

Eh, it's an improvement, but still not ideal. Grandfathered unlimited data is the main thing keeping me on AT&T, but the throttling is annoying. I hit the cap quite frequently when I travel for work.

Everything is finite, and "just upgrade the infrastructure"? Do you think this is your home Wi-Fi setup, you just go buy a new router and re-type some passwords and that's it?

I love it.

Actually, that is it. I imagine you're either a paid shill or grossly misinformed about Internet infrastructure. Fiber has a lot of capacity. It does not have an amount every month that gets used up, much like water or the gas in your car. It's more like wind or sunlight. It's pretty much always there, subject to anything blocking it at a particular moment in time. A cap does not fix clouds blocking the sun, or congestion at peak times.

It's as ridiculous as putting a cap on a solar panel. You can use this many megawatt-hours per month. Want more? Wait until we build a faster panel and buy it.

I assume you already know this and stuck your fingers in your ears (eyes) as you were reading it. Caps do not fix prime-time congestion and thus have no actual basis in network congestion. They are artificial scarcity to make money. It's complete and utter bullshit.

Yet I'm pretty sure he's not really the one they're worried about. There were reports of people abusing the network using 2-3 TERABYTES of data. It was even reported here a few weeks ago.

Back