AT&T buys T-Mobile for $39 Billion!!

Thats just all kinds of bad for us consumers. The pussy ass DOJ will of course approve the merger, they dont even know what monoply means.

Yup, this is horrible news for customers. I was a T-mobile customer for years and loved them when I lived in AZ, but their service wasn't so great in the DC area when I moved here so I switched. T-mobile has been offering some great programs lately like post contract or bought phone plans that are actually cheaper. That'll go away I'm sure as will their much cheaper plans.

This only leaves 3 major carriers in the US, and Sprint hasn't been doing great for years (as shitty as their service is) so hopefully they don't go down and just leave Verizon and AT&T. They are already the two most expensive and most restrictive and things would just get worse without any cheaper competition.

hmm, really hope verizon doesn't get any ideas about buying out sprint since they both use cdma...i like not getting ripped off on my phone bill.

this proves that treating customers like dirt works. People like to pay more for less and too bad for the 40 mill subscribers that tmo has.

Not good if you ask me. T-Mobile has probably more reliable service than AT&T and honestly, I think AT&T did this because they are in panic mode.

Wonder if they will continue the Virgin mobile deal for $25 but on both AT&T and T-Mobile network?

I think this is horrible and I'm on Verizon. The less competition out there, the worse it is for consumers. T-Mobile is one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) major carrier. So since AT&T, Verizon and Sprint have one less competitor, then could easily jack prices up or at least not have much incentive to bring them down to compete.

I dread a Verizon > Sprint buyout now. That would be absolutely devastating. But for now, I really feel bad for T-Mobile customers.

Sucks T-Mobile was a major carrier that had cheaper prices. There pay as you go plan was the best. No daily charge for using your phone.

I was actually just at a T-Mobile store activating my Venue Pro (Even More+ w/ 500mins, "unlimited" texts/data for $60/month) and after the woman helping me plugged in my SIM I loaded up Engadget just to make sure web was working. The first article was "ATT to buy T-Mobile". I showed it to her and the other employees and they all made sad faces.

I'll make a sad face too when I'm eventually forced to sign an ATT contract with absurd rates. :(

You wont be.. Maintain our current service & you will keep your rates.

That will only be until you have to sign up for a new contract. Just watch. Tmobile users will end up catching it in the ass at some point.

That will only be until you have to sign up for a new contract. Just watch. Tmobile users will end up catching it in the ass at some point.

Negative ghost rider.. I work for AT&T wireless.. We have alot of customers still on plans from carriers that haven't existed in a decade..

I know of only one person at my work who likes AT&T and they're an iPhone user.

Not that that has anything to do with it, mind you. Some people have great luck with shitty service providers.

Not that that has anything to do with it, mind you. Some people have great luck with shitty service providers.

Like anyone that has had good luck with any provider in the us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Been with AT&T for 16 years (Through all of its buyouts, Bellsouth and Cingular, etc.) and have never had a single problem. Only one billing error last year and we had to make a phone call to remove a $1 data charge. I have never had a dropped call either (neither has any of the 3 users on the same plan). It's really region specific when you decide which carrier to go with, and in the metro Atlanta area, AT&T seems the best. And no, none of us have iPhones.

Next up, Sprint buys AT&T for a dollar, which is about what I'd pay for them.

Been with AT&T for 16 years (Through all of its buyouts, Bellsouth and Cingular, etc.) and have never had a single problem. Only one billing error last year and we had to make a phone call to remove a $1 data charge. I have never had a dropped call either (neither has any of the 3 users on the same plan). It's really region specific when you decide which carrier to go with, and in the metro Atlanta area, AT&T seems the best. And no, none of us have iPhones.

I'm going to guess its region specific at best. Here in Illinois with the way some of the folks talk about AT&T, it seems like you have to threaten to leave in order for them to even try to care about your problems and sort them out.

That's sad and funny. AT&T used to be the major monopoly, they split up and monolized again like an alien blob. Cingular blew away ATT and when they took it over the equipment went to tMobile. SO ATT was only good for a month. I had their unlimited min plan years ago and it was worthlesss as I could never get a signal and if it did I would laugh histerically as I watched their commercials saying they didn't drop calls. Sprint for a third choice? If they had a dictionary they couldn't look up customer service and they would still just hold their nose and pretend to be their manager. After about 5 years of ATT lies stating they would add new towers I just considered them a Sprint that cried wolf.

Negative ghost rider.. I work for AT&T wireless.. We have alot of customers still on plans from carriers that haven't existed in a decade..

That is true but ATT will lie and tell you that you will have to switch and that is from first hand experience. The only true part is my mother is using a cingular phone and I just bought another old new stock cingular cell for my sister on att as well. Try staying on a tmobile plan when your phone breaks. They won't do it. You will be forced over to a new att contract. So it's only true if your phone never breaks and you never want to change your plan.

That is true but ATT will lie and tell you that you will have to switch and that is from first hand experience. The only true part is my mother is using a cingular phone and I just bought another old new stock cingular cell for my sister on att as well. Try staying on a tmobile plan when your phone breaks. They won't do it. You will be forced over to a new att contract. So it's only true if your phone never breaks and you never want to change your plan.

First hand experience? From the last time AT&T bought T-Mobile I assume?

I'm one of the people still using the rates from my old Cingular plan.

Sprint for a third choice? If they had a dictionary they couldn't look up customer service and they would still just hold their nose and pretend to be their manager.

This is why Sprint now has a tie for the best customer service in the industry amongst national carriers. But lets not let facts cloud any arguments.

Like anyone that has had good luck with any provider in the us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe so, but I've yet to meet anyone who genuinely has had good luck with US Cellular, and I don't know anyone who wasn't screwed over by Helio before it was bought out and put into the dirt. Most providers? Sure, I'll give you that. Any? Not quite.

That's still a big fat negative. The only time that would be the case is if upgrading to a smart phone since the data plans have to be comparable to the calling plan, and we can't add an expired data plan. Thats why I said maintain your service. Change your service and its another bowl of wax.

Also of note the tmo released faq seems to suggest tmo will still operate independently from att. If this is the case then its not really a bad thing. Basically just combining the networks infrastructure. Also combines purchasing power for devices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh? A contract isn't needed for service. I've gone years without one (and I'm not talking about prepaid).

Huh? A contract isn't needed for service. I've gone years without one (and I'm not talking about prepaid).

yep. :) Only if you get tricked into one, will you have to sign a new one :) When your contract expires, you can just let it be and not reknew, and effectively be month to month :D

Though I've heard stories of the unlimited txting being dropped from old AT&T wireless users during the Cingular merger.

You guys are lucky. We got one landline company controlling it. Any isp has to go thru them or make a deal with them. Which means expensive services. The cellphone networks we got 3. Vodafone and Virgin made arrangements with two of the companies. Now they can't use lower rates otherwise they'll just end their relations to vodafone and Virgin which means they can't provide services as vodafone and Virgin don't have licenses here. The avg guys earn a salary of 900usd here now 1gb of data works out something like a 100usd.

AT&T service was pretty spotty when I would visit friends in Chicago. Up in Milwaukee and Madison area I have no problems. I was looking at T-mobile, but their data coverage is laughably bad. 2 years ago they didn't even have 3G in some suburbs of Milwaukee.

T-mobile customers will now have a much, much larger coverage area while being able to keep their plans.

I guess I can quit considering switching to t-mobile now. First a 150GB cap and now a buyout of t-mobile. What's next ATT?

so tell me what happens when ATT decides not to offer 3G on T-mobile frequencies......thankfully I can get an unlocked HD2 that can operate on ATT 3G thus allowing me to keep my current plan and rates

This will hurt WIND and Mobilicity in Canada. Now we'll have a hard time getting good phones.

so tell me what happens when ATT decides not to offer 3G on T-mobile frequencies......thankfully I can get an unlocked HD2 that can operate on ATT 3G thus allowing me to keep my current plan and rates

AT&T will keep the T-Mobile frequencies since radio spectrum is very valuable and will help AT&T in the long run for bandwidth capacity with more frequencies to spread out bandwidth on.

an unlocked hd2 wont use 3G on ATT iirc.....

an unlocked hd2 wont use 3G on ATT iirc.....
Sure it will. You can get variant that will do 3G on AT&T from certain places in the world. Here's my unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 and HTC Desire Z for example both running on AT&T 3G. If you don't believe it's the unlocked international model, note the front camera and lack of branding (sans the HTC one):

DSC01360s.jpg

They will give you with no contract a similar device. This has always been the case when they are forceably moving you off of a technology that you are using.

And yes you can use an unlocked Eu model of jsut about any phone on AT&T 3g since the frequencies are the same where t-mobile uses an oddball frequency compared to the rest of the world.

Back