AT&T, Apple, Google To Work On 'Robocall' Crackdown

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy crap! It's about damn time something is being done about this. I think they should take things a step further and throw robocallers in jail. How hard would it be to track them down?

More than 30 major technology and communication companies said on Friday they are joining the U.S. government to crack down on "robocalls," automated, prerecorded phone calls that regulators have labeled a "scourge." The strike force will report to the FCC by Oct. 19 on "concrete plans to accelerate the development and adoption of new tools and solutions," said AT&T Chief Executive Officer Randall Stephenson, chairman of the group.

It's getting pretty god damn out of control this year. The caller ID's show from all over the country and it's getting to be a weekly thing.

And of course half the ones I get are for a Google marketing service, which is fitting.

It's getting pretty god damn out of control this year. The caller ID's show from all over the country and it's getting to be a weekly thing.

And of course half the ones I get are for a Google marketing service, which is fitting.

i get about 6 of them a day 3 at 7 am and 3 at 9:45pm plus 3 or 4 texts every week.. ended up using the white pages caller ID app(now called Hiya) for the last year or so. automatically filters out known reported scam numbers so it only rings once then notifies you it was blocked, one of the best apps i've ever installed. this week it's been bullshit IRS scams.

Daily thing for me. Sometimes twice. I just ban them as they come in, but the numbers are always spoofed. It started happening frequently after I made a listing on Craigslist, I thought CL masked the phone# with a relay like they do with emails, but guess not. I assume the call centers scrape the posts for #'s.

The ones I've been getting have been the India call centers doing the IRS and Credit Card scams. I'm on the Do Not Call list but it doesn't matter. I've been tempted to forward them to the FBI tip line, but I doubt the FBI would want that.

They need to do something about the spoofing.

Yes - spoofing sucks. A lot of these are oversees, so doubtful the US law enforcement could do a lot.
I use an Ooma at home - tempted to upgrade my service with them to filter these out. Keep meaning to set up my telephony software at home, but haven't gotten around to it...
Oddly enough, I don't get many on my cell phone.

Have an old style answering machine(digital) on a POTS landline. Most of the robots can't handle the answering machine and just hang up. Old style tech scores a win! Maybe not be able to keep it much longer. AT&T is finishing up installing fiber in the neighborhood. Wonder how long before the copper lines start suffering 'squirrel' damage with repair times estimated in months?

While this is a good thing, I can't happen to notice it's happening right before the elections...with 3 major companies that have been accused (they are guilty AF) of bias toward a Clinton administration.

I could totally see Clintons robocall systems not being touched until like Oct 31st, and Trumps on day one or before.

I just don't answer numbers I don't recognize. If it's someone I know or that actually needs to talk to me, they'll leave a message. More than one call with no message and I just block the number.

I get quite a few automated calls from Google for my business to update my business listing. I even contacted them directly to get it changed and nothing happens. I contacted them because I never give info out to a solicited call. I call in, at least then I have a better chance of not getting scammed. Would be nice if Google will take their own advice and cut out their robocallers.

need to make simply captha/firewall app for smart phones.

Thank you for you call please enter the results of 3+4 on you keypad to be pathced through.
15 sec later
I-M sorry your time is up have a good day...

cants et it up toreact on any number not in you contact list or any numbers all etc etc

I usually hit 1 and set the phone down. That gets one of them on the line and wastes their time too.

Back