AT&T 3G service (iPhone, NorthEast US)

Arkangyl

Gawd
So [H] hoping to collect some data here. My Verizon contract is up the 23rd of this month and I'm looking at Droid or iPhone for my next phone (and first smartphone), just wondering about AT&T service.

I'm in Massachusetts (Boston ATM) and wondering what coverage is like in the Northeast (curious about US as a whole too).

If you could just post a quick reply with:
- is there 3G where you are?
- how good is it?
- dropped calls?

(also anywhere you've taken the iPhone would be great too!)

thanks

I don't have an iPhone (HTC Fuze) but where I live in northern NJ I never have a problem with 3G coverage on AT&T, but when I go to work out towards the NJ/PA border 3G coverage gets a bit spotty. I have also been up to Boston several times this year and always had full bars of 3G while in downtown Boston and nearly full bars at least in the surrounding area. No dropped calls to report either.

I live in CT and almost always have full 3G bars. I have also been to Boston recently as well as Foxboro and had no problems with reception.

won't let me edit my post but I forgot to mention i am using the iPhone 3G

North NJ is fine, but the NJ shore/beaches are horrible for AT&T. NYC can get almost unusable.

I'm in the DC metro area. Currently with AT&T on an iPhone 3G. I'm looking into breaking my contract early (about 10 months early) in order to get a Droid and move to Verizon with my wife. I can't stand AT&T's network anymore. Too many dropped calls, calls that never ring the phone, and voice mails that show up 30+ minutes after they've been left.

I've taken the phone to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and New Jersey. It's all about the same to me signal wise. I dropped calls in all of them. Friends in Alabama have the same issue with their 3G aircard but their Edge based phones are fine.

Not to mention that the family plan with Verizon for two phones will cost less then my iPhone plan does...

i live in ne ohio and have att. i have a samsung impression and my service is great. i have full bars and 3g almost everywhere. i never dropped a call either.
i have two friends here with iphone3g and they get great service.my other friend has a iphone3gs and his service is great also. i have two friends who get horrible service tho one is on verizon and the other is alltell. i have not had a single problem with my att service

Why not get an iPhone, jailbreak&unlock, then use it with T-Mobile? AT&T's network is always going to perform lower than it should.

AT&T's problems with service are price and their 3G. Go to T-Mobile solves price (sort of), but you're still stuck on EDGE. You could keep yourself on EDGE with AT&T and save yourself some troubles.

NYC
I never used an iphone, but alot of my friends have use iphones.
Each one has problems with drop calls and plan to switch to verizon soon.
Since tmobile is not one of your choices, i wont comment on their service

??? Driod and iPhone cost exact same per month.

I have 900 minutes not the typical 450 minutes. Was running over for quite a few months due to job hunting and wedding planning. ;) So for me I still save $80 a month by moving to Droid and using a family plan with the wife. :D

wow I tell ya what I had great luck the samsung impression at first then out of no where i started getting dropped calls,Texts that wouldnt go thru and no signal in my house at all,I returned the phone with a quickness.looking into verizon right now as the droid looks nice

Back