At My Wits End!!!! HELP ME Please!!!! - Major LAG

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok,

I've got a few games, but the one I enjoy the most is Novalogic's Joint Ops - Typhoon Rising and the Escalation expansion pack.

Game is fully patched. The required "Punkbuster" thing is loaded. My rig specs are in my sig - plenty o power for this game, and then some....

I keep lagging out horribly in any of the boards I join. I am running a D-Link Gamerlounge wireles router, which replaced my Linksys WRT-54G which I thought was the culprit. I guess not. I don't know.

I've tried the game with Trend MIcro Security disabled. I've tried it with Trend Micro enabled and the router set to DMZ. I've plugged straight into the cable modem - same exact thing.

Can anyone offer a solution before I ride this case down a big hill and crash it?

Are you running a wireless adapter linked to that router or are you plugged right in? If you are wirelessly connected, how many others are using your connection? What is your connection?

Stu55 said:
Are you running a wireless adapter linked to that router or are you plugged right in? If you are wirelessly connected, how many others are using your connection? What is your connection?

Hey, sorry for omitting those details. I am hard-wired to the router, my server project box is connected to the router (test box currently shut off), and my Powerbook is the only client on wireless. I though the Gamer Lounge would fix it. On the upside though, its got Gigabit so when I get the server up and running I'll have some sweet gigabit action.

My connection is Roadrunner cable. Looks like the modem is a MOtorolla SB5100 Surfboard.

Thanks

Be more specific damnit.

What is your internet speed, internet provider?

Try a virus/trojan scan with a-squard.

Clear out your cache with ccleaner.

Newsboys2004 said:
Be more specific damnit.

Easy, killer!!!! LOL.

Ok, Roadrunner is my ISP, as I stated in my last post
My connection is Roadrunner cable. Looks like the modem is a MOtorolla SB5100 Surfboard

My advertised speed is 5Mb/s up, 384 down. No viruses or spyware. For protection, I run the following:

Trend Micro Internet Security
Spybot Search & Destroy w/ Tea Timer
Adaware
WinPatrol

This is a fresh re-install. I use Firefox as my sole browser (unless I am downloading M$ updates). And I clear the cache often.

I can't ping novalogic.com or novaworld.com But the Roadrunner tech said they probably have it turned off to prevent a ping attack.

I mean, I can't be the only one, right?

run a speed test at either dslreports.com or tide.iadfw.net/speedtest.

Ping google, and hardocp and see your results. Join a game server, what is your ping? Is it steady at that? Exit the game and ping that same server...is it the same ping? How long have you had this trouble?

Do you ever time out, or does it always stay connected with just a bad ping? Do you have any other games installed? Do they also experiance this kind of behaviour?

Sorry for all the questions but we have to narrow down to what is the most likley culprit

Tried replacing your PC>Router cable, or using a different ethernet port? Could be one of the culprits, cable has a fault, or your ethernet controller is dropping packets like mad.

most likely cause is your internet connection. open up command prompt

run>cmd
ping www.google.com -t

wait 5mins

hit ctrl-c

post your results

run>cmd
ping www.hardocp.com -t

wait 5 mins

hit ctrl-c

post your results

do a tracert
cmd>run
tracert www.google.com
tracert www.hardocp.com

post results (do all this while directly connected to your modem, no router.

Also, do you have a second pc on hand?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try them out first thing in the moring. :(

Back