At long last, I'm back in the game.

Right, but running a mining program on them is about the same as running Furmark on them. They are both pushing the GPU to its limits and for extended periods of time. You are putting your gpu under extreme load with either.

Before I even got the card I did some research, many articles pointed to using linux and some heavy tweaking to make it work with decent performance so I really didn't consider using the card for mining at first.

Then just when I got the card I read about claymore. The setup was so easy, I couldn't resist.

From what I've read as long as the card in not pushed too hard nor getting too hot I should be fine, so...

Besides at least during last week I really didn't have time to game at all.

Wife is on a business trip, she doesn't know about the card (and never will...) so I had spare time to do some testing hehehe.

You're dancing with the devil, sir. I would not envy you.

I used to be in the "never getting married" camp. Then i had funny feelings in my pants, one thing led to another and now I'm bleeding money and looking up the current black market costs of spare organs.

Or you could have gotten married to someone who games and she pushes you to upgrade both computer systems. :D

shit...my wife has been with me for 15 years and I have trouble keeping up with HER on upgrades...nice...it doesn't get any better than that!

Man I did not even notice the thing about buying the card without his wife knowing. If you typically don't "have enough money" to buy a card you don't think she's gonna miss $300+. What have you been doing...putting $10 cash down for lunch or something, then hoarding the money and not eating. This is a pretty bullshit thing to do imo.

So after what seemed like a lifetime I finally upgraded to a GTX 1070

Back in 2007 I won a gaming rig with a Geforce 8600GT. Before that I had a 6800GT iirc.

That year I got married, and got a kid so no more pc upgrades :(:(.

I got a GTX 650Ti in 2012. I sold it as I needed the money so back to the 8600GT.

Eventually the 8600 died. Brought it back to life a couple of times though.

Since then I never had money to buy a real card so I during the next years I got a GT210 then a GT610 and finally a GT630.

Suffice to say I only played old games like MOH:AA, MOH:pA, doom 3, jedi outcast and jedi academy.

But I have dozens of more recent games I never played like FIFA 2016, SW battlefront, Assasins Creed, farcry 3 and many more.

So at long last I have a great card plus a 4k tv and a lot of catching up to do

Feeling great

Welcome back. However, even you know a video card cannot compare to a wife and kids. :) That said, now you can have both.

Man I did not even notice the thing about buying the card without his wife knowing. If you typically don't "have enough money" to buy a card you don't think she's gonna miss $300+. What have you been doing...putting $10 cash down for lunch or something, then hoarding the money and not eating. This is a pretty bullshit thing to do imo.

Its not the money its spending on gaming. Of course she can get a $200+ bag no one can complain... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feelings mutual! I just got back to looking for a current video card after a 9 year hiatus. Decided to start by reading up on all the current offerings

Now isn't a very good time to buy a card if you are looking to game unless you are looking for a low end or high end. First it was the AMD cards and now the NVIDIA 1060's and 1070's are all going out of stock. So gamers are left with the low end and high end options (1050-1050 Ti or 1080 and 1080 Ti). 1080 prices haven't inflated as much since they are really bad at mining for their price.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3202...-as-cryptocurrency-miners-snap-up-supply.html

Whenever the current bubble pops it will be the best time to snag a high-end card for next to nothing (comparatively), just like the last time that mining prices collapsed. When that happens everyone should be looking at the cards that offer serial-based warranties like Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI. Both of the ex-mining cards I bought after the last crash needed fan replacements eventually, but they were covered under warranty and I was glad I spent more on the MSI models.

I get why 1080's are bad for mining what with the GDDR5X memory, but is the processing difference far off enough that it makes a major difference vs. the 1070's that everyone's snapping up?

Back