At last I can order a Raspberry Pi

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
At long last I finally got this

Place your Raspberry Pi Order today!

Your chance to get a Raspberry Pi from RS Components and Allied Electronics has arrived!

https://eu.rs-email.com/pub/cc?_ri_...boQRGRm4zT4TCTeLTL3UMIrPlb7vjBLqFvjrRujwyqW0.
raspberry.png

Thing is I don't think I really want it anymore. I've read a couple of reviews and the thing is too slow for my taste. I intended to use xbmc and some games/emulators. But that's pretty much a no-no. Granted it's still in its infancy and eventually it may work well, but I don't feel like waiting.

I guess I'll get an android stick instead. At least it will play angry birds and that's all my kid cares anyway.

If I were you I'd get it and resell it, seeing as how they are hard to get and in high demand

If I were you I'd get it and resell it, seeing as how they are hard to get and in high demand

^This. You could probably actually sell it for at least $50 on ebay. it's simple economics. High demand + low supply = high price :D

Same I ordered mine like 2 months ago and it finally shipped yesterday. But with all the new portable android PC's coming out on the market, the Pi just doesn't seem worth it for media consumption.

I'd be willing to give away the order link, but its linked to my email

I received mine maybe a week ago, been fiddling with different OSes but everything right now is just too laggy (no gpu support for gui yet so the cpu tends to stay maxed). I can play most of my movies blu-ray rips fine on RASPBMC (xbmc for pi exclusively) unless the file size is over 12 GB or so...then I start getting buffering issues.

I have many different ideas to try but I'm just waiting for the software to mature some more.

EDIT: Also found that I can't touch the RAM with any overclocking, 5 MHz up and I get instability =(. CPU and GPU can be overclocked a decent amount over stock. Not going to risk overvolting and voiding warranty >.>

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know about the 12GB rips ! :) Did you add any heatsinks to the chips to cool it once you overclocked it?

As a note about the 12GB rips, others mention they've had better success with rips upwards of 18-20GB or more if they used NFS to serve the videos instead of samba (which I was relying on since I don't have a linux box). I plan on getting a large external to store my rips and so I may have better success once I do that.

Also no, I didn't add any heatsinks to the chips after overclocking as from what I've read, it isn't really useful. The hardware (specifically the GPU/RAM) is the same type used in smartphones and it is supposed to be fine in 50C ambient temps.

Another note is that I haven't really stress tested the board much as I'm waiting for more mature software as any GUI essentially maxes out the CPU due to the GPU not being used for it atm. I could run a rip repeatedly to stress the GPU and have the menu open to stress the cpu (xbmc menu = 100% cpu).

Hmm :( Maybe they could have squeezed in a better CPU and RAM in that much :( maybe there might be a rev.2 or something with a few extra things..

Otherwise have you guys checked out the "gooseberry"? It's like the motherboard ripped out from a tablet :D with HDMI connectors and stuff. I think it's just that. for around 60$

Hmm :( Maybe they could have squeezed in a better CPU and RAM in that much :( maybe there might be a rev.2 or something with a few extra things..

Otherwise have you guys checked out the "gooseberry"? It's like the motherboard ripped out from a tablet :D with HDMI connectors and stuff. I think it's just that. for around 60$

GB is much better, problem is, no software support right now.

So I got mine, still haven't put XBMC on it but will tonight and hopefully get a capture going to show off performance.

GB is much better, problem is, no software support right now.

Yeah, but also double the price. There is no official support, because its basicly just a tablet motherboard rip out, the people incharge of distribution of these boards, have just decided to market these boards.

Back