ASUS Z97 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Has anyone made a priority list where to put devices ie, sata/pci-e/usb for the maximum amount of bandwidth and least amount of irq sharing?

Those issues are mostly irrelevent in modern operating systems.

If you are using 95/98 i could see it.

Those issues are mostly irrelevent in modern operating systems.

If you are using 95/98 i could see it.
So now that we know your take on this, I guess we can move on to people who have an actual answer for my question.
If we lived in a world where computers and os´s were perfect, I´d probably agree with you. However I like to have unshared bw/irq for my mouse, (keyboard if possible), gpu and pci-e soundcard, or the least amount of shared bw and irq (in that order) and os ssd. Is it anal? Yes. Is it unessecary? Possibly but with a chance to improve things. I only build a system every ~3 years or so I like to make everything as close to perfect as I can and then just leave it alone. I also have several examples where this in fact did matter on very recent systems.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting an Intel core i5 4690k and a z97 motherboard. Any ideas on a decent motherboard that will allow oc and sli with hopefully a 780 or 780ti.

I'm willing to trade my gently used xbox one and $$$ if need be for 780 or >

So I swapped motherboard from the Asrock extreme 6 z97 to the Asus z97 pro and here are a few things I noticed. No stuttering while scrolling in firefox. While this is not a huge issue in and of itself it gives an indication of whats working behind the scenes. The slight soundbuzz I had is not here with this. Lower dpc. I can run my ram at 2400 instead of at 2133 without issues (so far at least, knock on wood 12h in. )

Theres a few other things but I think all this, and what it implicates, will prove worthwhile for the 50€ I spent swapping boards. The asrock is nice too but the quality difference is accenuated.

I have only one issue. Some dumbass at Asus decided its a good idea to swap the windows 8 boot screen to the asus logo with 'In search of the incredible'. First of all, fire the guys who wrote that copy and those who approved it. If you want to sway people with phrases, you need to already have found the incredible. Searching for it implies that the 'whats in it for me factor' for the customer is moot.

I hope there is an easy way for me to get my windows 8 bootscreen back. How?

So I swapped motherboard from the Asrock extreme 6 z97 to the Asus z97 pro and here are a few things I noticed. No stuttering while scrolling in firefox. While this is not a huge issue in and of itself it gives an indication of whats working behind the scenes. The slight soundbuzz I had is not here with this. Lower dpc. I can run my ram at 2400 instead of at 2133 without issues (so far at least, knock on wood 12h in. )

Theres a few other things but I think all this, and what it implicates, will prove worthwhile for the 50€ I spent swapping boards. The asrock is nice too but the quality difference is accenuated.

I have only one issue. Some dumbass at Asus decided its a good idea to swap the windows 8 boot screen to the asus logo with 'In search of the incredible'. First of all, fire the guys who wrote that copy and those who approved it. If you want to sway people with phrases, you need to already have found the incredible. Searching for it implies that the 'whats in it for me factor' for the customer is moot.

I hope there is an easy way for me to get my windows 8 bootscreen back. How?

Pretty sure this is a windows thing because my msi z77, gigabyte z87, and asus z97 boards all did this, my as rock h67 mobo doesn't do it though (even though its not set to the text boot screen). I have found if turn off boot screen logo (should be an option in the bios, may be labeled differently) and just have a text boot screen that will usually get the windows boot screen to show back up, but I think its windows not updating the screen, who knows though.

Pretty sure this is a windows thing because my msi z77, gigabyte z87, and asus z97 boards all did this, my as rock h67 mobo doesn't do it though (even though its not set to the text boot screen). I have found if turn off boot screen logo (should be an option in the bios, may be labeled differently) and just have a text boot screen that will usually get the windows boot screen to show back up, but I think its windows not updating the screen, who knows though.

You sir seem to be correct.Thank you. I guess I´ll mantle the dumbass hat for the rest of the day :)

I cant find a reference to hpet in the manual nor on google, where do I change it on/off (z97 pro)?

bios...

hpet is the high performace timer however, you are looking for the bios boot screen.

both are in the bios settings in advanced.

bios...

hpet is the high performace timer however, you are looking for the bios boot screen.

both are in the bios settings in advanced.

Thanks checked there already. Its not there. Im running the bios the board came with, 0603. Guess thats the reason.

Last edited:
@Raja,
any news on the Z97 Quicksilver USB 3.1 Motherboard that was teased back in June?

Last edited:
Im considering upgrading bios for a few reasons. My first question, is it worth it, ie have you gotten additional stability as the changelog claims the new bioses give? Do I upgrade to the the latest version directly from 0603 or do I need to do it one version up at a time?

just drop it in your root directory of the c drive, boot into bios and use the ezupdate.

no need for intermediate updates.

just drop it in your root directory of the c drive, boot into bios and use the ezupdate.

no need for intermediate updates.

Thanks. How about my other question, :"is it worth it, ie have you gotten additional stability as the changelog claims the new bioses give?"

you probobly wont notice any difference, but for people who micro manage their OC, it means more stable OCs.

personally, i find it always a good idea to keep current.

you probobly wont notice any difference, but for people who micro manage their OC, it means more stable OCs.

personally, i find it always a good idea to keep current.

Update: I updated now. For some reason it wouldn´t let me search for a bios unless I had a usb drive connected. Still havent found any hpet setting. Where exactly is it? Also in regards to our previous discussion, I have tested 3 different pci-e ports for my asus essence stx. They all give crackling except for the last one I tested. According to the essence manual a x1 port is enough so it shouldn´t be related to whether the pci-e port is x1, x2 or x4.

I also noticed that dpc is lower now, which is very nice.

Last edited:
To avoid creating a new thread about it, has anyone heard anything about the Formula Vii being sold in brick and mortar stores such as frys or microcenter?0

@Raja: Can you please tell me where I can dis/enable hpet in the bios of the Asus z97 pro please. Thanks in advance.

i went digging around the other day i couldnt find it either.

i did some google-fu and it turns out its hit or miss with vendor support in the bios.

Even if it was enabled in bios, it doesn mean windows is using it

if you wish, you can use this command to enbale HPET in windows:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

then reboot

to disable it:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

try each to see if you get any improvement.

i went digging around the other day i couldnt find it either.

i did some google-fu and it turns out its hit or miss with vendor support in the bios.

Even if it was enabled in bios, it doesn mean windows is using it

if you wish, you can use this command to enbale HPET in windows:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

then reboot

to disable it:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

try each to see if you get any improvement.

Thanks I know this. Here´s a fairly comprehensive thread if you like to dive deeper: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368604. Asus got a whole lot of grief because it took them so long to implement it into their bioses in the first place.

On a sidenote, I downgraded my bios (sorry forgot if I mentioned this) because I got bsods. 0902 working fine though. This is not the development you want Asus. You want stuff to -improve-, not degrade.

Hi! I'm new here at hard forum and this is my first post.

I have a z97 sabertooth mark 1 and I'm looking for a full board water block, has anyone here tried to water cooled the whole board?

Which Asus board has the same layout in terms of the possible water cooling parts like the vcore, pch, ram and CPU placement? Maybe there is some block for other model that will fit or can made to be fit to the z97 sabertooth.

Thanks!

So I bought a Kingston 240GB M.2 ssd to replace my aging Samsung 830, unfortunately I can't get it recognised in the BIOS.
It absolutely ignores the M.2 socket, I have set all the bios settings to be correct (including the M.2 mode)
I even removed a video card to see if that would help (PCI lanes) nothing can get this thing to show in the bios.

I took it back to the retailer, they tested it in another Asus z97 board and it worked just fine.

Can anyone point me where I may have gone wrong?

Hello

Is this M.2 SSD SATA or PCIe? The M7H only supports PCIe based M.2 drives.

Hello

Is this M.2 SSD SATA or PCIe? The M7H only supports PCIe based M.2 drives.

I think it's a SATA based one, it worked fine on another Z97 board though, is this documented somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

I think it's a SATA based one, it worked fine on another Z97 board though, is this documented somewhere?

Thanks for the help.
Hello

Yes this info is documented for all ASUS motherboards that support M.2 drives and can be found in the board's manual. PCIe only or PCIe and SATA support is dependent on the motherboard model.

"It is believed that you are seeking for certain advice or solution from us. I am sorry that I couldn't follow your question. Could you tell me what hpet is? We could grant you our prompt work on your request as soon as the content itself is understood.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let
us know. We will be more than happy to assist you.
Thanks!
Wish you a nice day!

Best regards
A drone
Customer Service Center
ASUSTek Computer Inc."

Gg asus you retarded noobs.

I didn't install java before and it worked. I installed the latest version of java as well just now and same issue.

Literally the only thing that changed when it stopped working was the bios change. Is there a way to back up the settings of the bios and I can try flashing back to the old bios? It resets all my settings each time I flash the bios.

Check 3-59 of the motherboard manual. That might work., unless there are any UEFI table changes.

Just saw the 1304 bios that came out a while ago, updated the bios to that and now the asus suite works again.

Last edited:
Ugh, I have an problem/observation I thought I would document here concerning USB issues.

I have recently switched again from a M6H to an M7H.

Took a couple of Win 8.1 installs to figure out why my USB drive (connected to USB 3.0 port) I was installing windows with wasn't being recognized once in Windows...

Enabling the Compatibility Support Module CSM fixes this for me.

The issue was happening with both my USB flash drives I have (1 is a PNY 128GB drive and the other is pretty slow SanDisk 3.0 drive). In fact, without CSM on, only 1 of the 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front panel were working (had them plugged to ROG ext. input), while both USB 3.0 ports were unable to recognize the devices. CSM on, problem solved. CSM itself seems faster than ever now, however, as does USB flash drive latency, which used to be terrible in Windows 8.1 compared to Windows 7. It's been fixed or someone fixed my brain (unlikely).

No more Full Secure Boot for me!

I have an ASUS z97-pro(wifi) mobo and I need some help to make sure I have it setup correctly, and as a result i have a few questions.

I have 2 x 4gb pc1600 ddr3 sticks of corsair ram but some places in the bios it is shown at pc 1333 and some it is shown as pc1600. CPU-z shows the memory at 666 mhz (which I know shows the speed as 1/2 of the speed since it is dual channel....which tells me it is not setup correctly) Do I need xmp enabled for pc1600 speed? What am i overlooking?

I have a 4690K processor, but do not want to enable any overclocking. For now I just want the turbo boost to be used. How do i make sure that overclocking is not enabled? (I cant seem to find any on/off selection for it) and cpu-z shows the multiplier going from 38x to 39x in real time and the voltage going upto 1.174v. I want the CPU to run completely stock.

The cpu temp goes to around 70+ degrees C in the bios, while the mobo stays at 31. Is this normal? I am running the stock cooler.

Any help is appreciated as I want the system to perform as it should.

@Raja: Can you please tell me where I can dis/enable hpet in the bios of the Asus z97 pro please. Thanks in advance.

No reply in a long time. Your 'support' sucks Raja.
Hello

Not sure what support is needed regarding this. As you have already found HPET is not a user configurable setting in the UEFI. This being the case you cannot "dis/enable" it.

Hello

Not sure what support is needed regarding this. As you have already found HPET is not a user configurable setting in the UEFI. This being the case you cannot "dis/enable" it.

You can enable/disable it on the Maximus VII Impact, even on the "first" available BIOS.

Back