ASUS Z97 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Hi,

1) List the board used please - your post simply states ASUS Z97.

2) List all parts used and how the monitor is connected to the GPU. Also list monitor type.

3) DO you always get a POST screen, or does htis issue happen at POST and in the OS?

-Raja

Hey Raj,
Got an MSI R9 295x2 here that my board says has no UEFI BIOS. Flipped the BIOS switch on the card... it's supposed to have one. Is it the card?

Yah it's the card finally got someone at msi that knew what I was talking about so we will see if they come through with a bios for me or not.

Last edited:
How can I get my other Dual Lan port to fuction on my Asus Sabertooth Z97 the bottom one works fine but I switch to the top one it doesn't function as connection I get the red x out on the connection icon.

How can I get my other Dual Lan port to fuction on my Asus Sabertooth Z97 the bottom one works fine but I switch to the top one it doesn't function as connection I get the red x out on the connection icon.

Are the drivers installed? One solution is Realtek, the other Intel...

yeah that worked just assumed it would work installed the Intel drivers... =)

Raja: Can you clarify if the water channel on the upcoming M7F is exposed to aluminium at all? In the computex presentation it was listed as a copper water channel, but in the exposure shots it's showing as merely a copper core insert with the channel housing and ports still being aluminium.

Raja: Can you clarify if the water channel on the upcoming M7F is exposed to aluminium at all? In the computex presentation it was listed as a copper water channel, but in the exposure shots it's showing as merely a copper core insert with the channel housing and ports still being aluminium.

Don't have one here in front of me. Either way doubt any bare alu is exposed. It wasn't last time either.

RAJ! Tell me this new version of AiSuite marked UPDATE DIP5 is for me? Is this the weird yet harmless seeming Dipawaymode errors fix?

Dipawaymode errors are usually down to a software conflict of some sort. To resolve it, uninstall AI Suite III completely then run the run the AI Suite III cleaner on ROG:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner&country=&status=

Then reinstall the latest packages and the Probe II sense driver (aka AMDA00).

Not sure what the update for DIP5 are yet (could be for DC) - will find out. So whether or not its "for you personally" I am not sure

-Raja

Seems real stable lately, I've switched to win 7 x64 from 8.1 though and I have a couple observations/questions:

Usb3 latency is way way faster on win 7. The transfer rates on big files are the same but reading the drive is super fast on win7 and kinda slow on win 8.
Had to switch back to 7 to play a game that only seems to not work on a 295x2 in crossfire on win 8.1 for me. The msi people seem to be pointing at the fact I don't have an msi motherboard but an msi video card. What difference would that make?

Maybe USB Boost was being used on Win 7? Drivers installed - who knows. Very sparse on details and what has been tried. One is not a mind reader... :)

Not sure on the GPU or why. You probably need to debug that more yourself.

Last edited:
Some Pentium OC...

attachment.php

Maybe USB Boost was being used on Win 7? Drivers installed - who knows. Very sparse on details and what has been tried. One is not a mind reader... :)

Not sure on the GPU or why. You probably need to debug that more yourself.

Ugh. When I give lots of detail it's too much. When I'm concise it's sparse.
I notice new BIOS is out that states:
1.Enhance compatibility with some PCIE device.
2.Improve System performance

Perhaps this would include my r9 295x2 I've been bugging you about...

Sorry I can't keep up with all your issues/questions/ideas. I don't even recall you "bugging" me about that GPU.

Pertinent info is what matters in a post asking for support. Layout of the post and how the post is structured helps things as well. Otherwise it just looks like you're thinking out aloud and trying to get me to weigh in on every little idea or obstacle. I don't have time to do that and I cannot answer posts on behalf of third parties like MSI.

Hey Raj,
Got an MSI R9 295x2 here that my board says has no UEFI BIOS. Flipped the BIOS switch on the card... it's supposed to have one. Is it the card?

Yah it's the card finally got someone at msi that knew what I was talking about so we will see if they come through with a bios for me or not.

That's your post above. What do you expect me to do about this for you? Is this you bugging me? I don't think so... :) MSI need to give the the correct BIOS assuming they have one. Seeing as they are working with you now according to your post it confirms the issue is on their side. UEFI needs the GPU to have a VBIOS that is UEFI GOP compatible. If the GPU does not have one there is nothing I can do for you.

If it's largely experiments, or things you need to be sure about before you post, I expect you to do that work before you come to me. The alternative is raising an ASUS support ticket - that might be better suited to tracking all of the things you want attention on.

One person should not need this much support every time they turn a corner if I am honest. :)

Getting back to what you asked this time:

I doubt this UEFI is for fixing any 295 issues. I have not reported any such thing to HQ myself. Seeing as you already have a response from MSI, there was no reason for me to do so.. :)

I gave you the workaround for Dipawaymode yesterday and you didn't respond. In fact, that seems to be the way you go about things in the thread. You drop in a number of things you think you've experienced (or even on the behalf of others) and if I do respond you either ignore what I wrote or come back with your own idea. Sorry, but I can't continue responding to you like this.

Take a deep breath each time you encounter an issue. Think about what could be the cause, then debug it. Then and only then make a post but lay out everything you tried in logical order - then maybe I can respond. Anything other than that, things that involve the issues of others, or things that involve other vendor products and you working with them, I cannot spend time on, sorry.

-Raja

Last edited:
Essay on job frustration

#1 I said in my original post about the 295x2 that they were sending me the UEFI BIOS. Was expecting you to answer me like "Oh... that's silly motherboard/gpu brand doesn't matter", but considering how the hot USB fix I've also been "bugging" you about appears to have been quietly slipped into this new BIOS, I'm beginning to wonder how much of my troubleshooting does end up at HQ. You think I just make weird issues up with ASUS motherboards to make your life difficult?
#2 They said I should get an MSI board because it's an asus MB problem and your response is: "MSI is on the case, go with that."? Not good PR.
#3 I don't understand what your place here is if you are actually trying to antagonize your customer base. I like troubleshooting but you clearly do not.

P.S. Sorry I didn't get back to you about that dipawaymode error "workaround". Wasn't aware I needed to report back after trying that, but I also hadn't brought it up since... so yeah, I'll leave you to your official support thread.

Last edited:
wow, hes given you a lot of help, in spite of all your thread spamming, and this is how you respond?

i think perhaps you should take a break before one of the mods sends you on vacation.

Back to Topic:

Raja, i have a spanky new devils canyon and a z97-A coming.

Is the bios ready for DC, or will i need to blind flash it?

wow, hes given you a lot of help, in spite of all your thread spamming, and this is how you respond?

What help?

Sorry I can't keep up with all your issues/questions/ideas.
What do you expect me to do about this for you?
The alternative is raising an ASUS support ticket - that might be better suited to tracking all of the things you want attention on.
One person should not need this much support every time they turn a corner if I am honest. :)
Sorry, but I can't continue responding to you like this.
-Raja

All this because I asked why MSI would be telling me my 295x2 might not be working properly in win 8.1 because of my ASUS motherboard. What issues have I been spamming him about? USB ports being powered even when the computer is shut down (now suddenly fixed)? How to get the c-states to work as they did in the z87 version of my motherboard? Why the motherboard triple boots when it wakes from sleep? Why the motherboard triple boots when it's been unplugged from the PSU? These boards do a lot of weird stuff and I didn't realize asking about them is not what this thread is for. OK, what's this thread for then? Man, I just realized how annoying Asus motherboards are.

BTW raj, those pictures you occasionally post are dead links unless the viewer is logged into their ASUS VIP account.

Edit: This is a cultural thing. There's some racism going on here.

Last edited:

i think perhaps you should take a break before one of the mods sends you on vacation.

Back to Topic:

Raja, i have a spanky new devils canyon and a z97-A coming.

Is the bios ready for DC, or will i need to blind flash it?
Hello

All ASUS Z97 boards are ready for DC oput of the box.

nice, wouldnt be fun to strip down my P8P67 only to find out i needed a bios file.

Yeah the requisite me fw is already in place on the 9 series boards so they will post.

#1 I said in my original post about the 295x2 that they were sending me the UEFI BIOS. Was expecting you to answer me like "Oh... that's silly motherboard/gpu brand doesn't matter", but considering how the hot USB fix I've also been "bugging" you about appears to have been quietly slipped into this new BIOS, I'm beginning to wonder how much of my troubleshooting does end up at HQ. You think I just make weird issues up with ASUS motherboards to make your life difficult?
#2 They said I should get an MSI board because it's an asus MB problem and your response is: "MSI is on the case, go with that."? Not good PR.
#3 I don't understand what your place here is if you are actually trying to antagonize your customer base. I like troubleshooting but you clearly do not.

P.S. Sorry I didn't get back to you about that dipawaymode error "workaround". Wasn't aware I needed to report back after trying that, but I also hadn't brought it up since... so yeah, I'll leave you to your official support thread.

1 no usb reports were sent by me to hq or any others. The only way to prevent 5vsb is to enable erp on a psu that has relays to lift the rail. There is no other way this works so probably some placebo effect..

2. The gpu needs a gop compatible uefi otherwise it will not work with fast boot. That's up to msi to sort. They may not have a gop vbios in which case you are stuck - you never said you actually got it. between that post and the second all i got from you was the message you had bugged me about it. To clarify once again, i made no report to hq about this or usb port power staying on for you.

3. Actual troubleshooting i don't mind. But there are limits to how much time one can spend on ideas and assumptions.

Last edited:
Hello

So I reinstalled 8.1 again this time promising to myself not to install the APC software for my back-UPS PRO UPS.

Things seem hunky-dorey.
You quote yourself regarding the triple boot issue and then reply with the above indicating the issue is resolved. Moving forward you never updated this stating things were still not working as would be expected, correct? If this was indeed the fix the proper course of action would have been to open support tickets with both ASUS and APC so they could sort this out.

Edit#812: It is curious that there isn't any buzz about wakeup cold boot loops.
There is no "buzz" because it it not a common issue. Multiple boot attempts are down to hardware instability/compatibility or user configuration errors. That you have had this issue on two different series boards reinforces this.

The msi people seem to be pointing at the fact I don't have an msi motherboard but an msi video card. What difference would that make?
This is not unusual for video cards that do not come with GOP support natively. ASUS also states that they can only guarantee full compatibility with ASUS motherboards for the GOP enabled updated video BIOS they offer.

I must point out that in the last couple pages I've also schooled you on how to run Manual voltage mode without sacrificing c-state voltage reduction. It is clearly not an "exploit". It is a series of clever c-state settings that will work if your power supply is compatible. Intel clearly meant for manual mode to drop voltage if the c-states were set correctly. You nor j.j seem to know stuff like this but it seems your policy as a PR agent + troubleshooter to CYA first and thus you are apt to explain away anything other than obvious mistakes in your companies products.
Contrary to what you may feel is correct this is an exploit. Intel never meant anything regarding this. The only thing Intel meant regarding the CPU voltage is for it to be auto set after reading the programmed VID. When using manual mode the C-States should be locked. After reading your post of the workaround that breaks this I suggested to ASUS that future UEFI releases lock out the C-State settings when manual mode is used. This would prevent others from having possible issues because of this misadventure. Also, I have to commend Raja for continuing a dialogue with you after this post. Myself, and I'm sure others reading this, would have walked away from any future correspondence with with you after such a rude and disparaging post.

Your posts have no continuity and more often then not seem to be the writing of random thoughts and rambling. Some of this may be the result of how you think things should work instead of how they are designed to function. I would suggest in the future when something does not work as you perceive it should to do some research regarding the issue and the engineering behind it. Building a system places the person in the role of IT as a system integrator. Assuming this role brings with it some responsibility of understanding the components being used and their proper deployment. If this is something that cannot be accomplished or simply not wanting to do the best course of action is to purchase known compatible components and use all stock settings.

Personally, I think instead of being antagonistic and belittling Raja you should be thanking him for the patience he has shown here. Please do not feel you need to reply to this post. I have neither the time nor the inclination to carry this on any further. My only reason for posting this is to offer a glimpse of how your posts appear to others.

I'm located in Canada (montreal) but am considering purchasing an intel 4790k/Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark II combo from microcenter in the u.s. If I were to have issues with the motherboard when I return home, will asus honor their warranty in canada (even though the motherboard was purchased in the u.s.)?

Not sure about that, safer to purchase from Canada I suspect. I don't work in RMA so am not sure on the stipulations. I do know that warranty is usually not offered outside a region, but how that breaks down between Canada and USA is a grey area to me. With 5 years of warranty on the table, it's better to play it safe and opt for a Canadian retailer.

Last edited:
MicroCenter offers massive discounts on CPUs, and CPU-Mobo combos, which im sure is why he is doing that.

They are so heavily discounted, they are basically loss leaders

I notice from various reviews, including the [H], that the Asus Z97 Deluxe seems to have a higher dpc latency that most other Z97 boards. I'm not saying it's unacceptably high, just that it's worse. Any chance of a bios tweak to lower the latency, or just live with it (since it's in the higher but tolerable range)?

My 4790K arrived yesterday so I've been testing on my Z97-Deluxe. With reference to my above question, I checked dpc latency just idling at the desktop, and saw a max of 48us, so that's pretty darn good.

One odd thing I've noticed, if I change VRIN (cpu input voltage) from auto (which gives 1.824V) to VRIN=1.80V the processor power that various utilities report drops by about a factor of 2, to a value I know is too low, and the temps running stress tests are the same for either. It seems to be a bug with reporting the power estimate, however the heck that's done. I know the power estimate isn't normally all that accurate, but there's obviously something weird going on. A low priority to be sure, but you might want to see if it's reproducible. bios is the 1104.

One other comment for people still using the old ThermalRight 120 Ultra Heatsinks, I had to do a quick mounting bracket mod with my dremel so the bracket would clear caps on the board. Yeah I know it's getting kind of ancient.

Last edited:
Z97-DELUXE – 1203
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdKuf8p2cKazFyV0dlYWt3MlU/edit?usp=sharing

This build will be public soon. A few enhancements.

Would not worry about the power stuff - it can be offset via UEFI in the internal CPU power parameters. HQ set it that way on purpose AFAIK, reason unknown but nothing to worry about per se.

DPC latency is lower if AI Suite is not installed or not polling the system.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Z97 Deluxe and 4790K, I didn't think to check if the mobo would be compatible out-of-the-box or if I'd have to find a cpu to update the BIOS with first. Can someone answer this? Thanks!

Just kidding! Went back a page and saw that it is indeed compatible. Cheers! :D

I'm having an issue with a z97-pro and ai suite 3. I set everything up and had bios 1008 installed, and windows was a fresh install with ai suite 3 working. Bios 1103 came out, I updated through the bios, and upon restarting this is what I get from aisuite:

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that doesn't allow me to start ai suite 3, searching google leads me no where except to reinstall windows, which I don't really want to do as this was already a fresh install.

I'm having an issue with a z97-pro and ai suite 3. I set everything up and had bios 1008 installed, and windows was a fresh install with ai suite 3 working. Bios 1103 came out, I updated through the bios, and upon restarting this is what I get from aisuite:

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that doesn't allow me to start ai suite 3, searching google leads me no where except to reinstall windows, which I don't really want to do as this was already a fresh install.

Try this UEFI build (1204)

Z97-PRO – 1204
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdKuf8p2cKMC1ZWERDSjhITEk/edit?usp=sharing

Will be up on the support site soon.

Just got my Z97-A and Devils Canyon 4790K installed over the weekend.

Im shocked at the difference in gaming experiences.

Coming from a 2500K OCed to 4.5 on a P8P67, i didn't think there would be a lot of difference. I just upgraded because it had been a while, and i was bored.

The improvement in experience really is impressive.

Last edited:
Hello

Contrary to what you may feel is correct this is an exploit. Intel never meant anything regarding this. The only thing Intel meant regarding the CPU voltage is for it to be auto set after reading the programmed VID. When using manual mode the C-States should be locked. After reading your post of the workaround that breaks this I suggested to ASUS that future UEFI releases lock out the C-State settings when manual mode is used. This would prevent others from having possible issues because of this misadventure. Also, I have to commend Raja for continuing a dialogue with you after this post. Myself, and I'm sure others reading this, would have walked away from any future correspondence with with you after such a rude and disparaging post.

Your posts have no continuity and more often then not seem to be the writing of random thoughts and rambling. Some of this may be the result of how you think things should work instead of how they are designed to function. I would suggest in the future when something does not work as you perceive it should to do some research regarding the issue and the engineering behind it. Building a system places the person in the role of IT as a system integrator. Assuming this role brings with it some responsibility of understanding the components being used and their proper deployment. If this is something that cannot be accomplished or simply not wanting to do the best course of action is to purchase known compatible components and use all stock settings.

Personally, I think instead of being antagonistic and belittling Raja you should be thanking him for the patience he has shown here. Please do not feel you need to reply to this post. I have neither the time nor the inclination to carry this on any further. My only reason for posting this is to offer a glimpse of how your posts appear to others.

Hello.

Contrary to what you may think, you have not convinced anyone at all that reducing voltages without speedstep engaged is an exploit and you, in my eyes, are just fueling more fire to the ridiculous tantrum your friend Raja had the other day over being asked about a video card that doesn't work properly on an ASUS motherboard and whether or not I should just get a different motherboard. Where's some documentation on why C-states on with Speedstep off on both z87 AND z97 is an "exploit" from Intel Mr Jkramp?

You guys are seriously working out the troubleshooting issues here huh?

Mr Jkramp, the issue I "thought" was resolved was the USB ports that are hot all the time on your boards, and I was, unfortunately, wrong once again. They are still hot all the time, and I'm looking forward to a new motherboard from a completely different manufacturer to test to see if it's the chipset or just another "ASUS" thing. I don't appreciate either of you posting personal attacks at me in public on your "official support thread". If either you or Raja has a problem with me or the way I go about schooling you both on what is or isn't an "exploit" you can take it up with me in a PM instead of making yourselves look every bit as dramatic as anything I ever did in your thread. Good day.

seriously? you are still at it?

Sorry I hadn't stopped by this thread since the last time I was insulted by an ASUS employee here for asking about videocard/motherboard compatibility.

I see the Dipaway.dll errors are still in full swing.

Personally, I think it's probably best just to stay away from ASUS motherboards for the time being. The triple boot stuff is super common and Jkramp is acting like it isn't. Who is that anyway? Is that an official ASUS employee with no title?

i have no tripple boot issues with my P8P67 Deluxe, a couple of H67s, a handful of Z77s, 2 Gryphon Z87s, and a brand new Z97-A.

Must be REAL common

lol

i have no tripple boot issues with my P67, a couple of H67s, a handful of Z77s, 2 Gryphon Z87s, and a brand new Z97-A.

Must be REAL common

Yah one person without the issue. So it's not an issue then. Good logic. Sounds like you should work for ASUS. Maybe you already do? Do you really laugh out loud to yourself while trying to make ASUS look better for an issue that has been reported by more than just me in the z87 thread. People that got tired of asking Raja questions because of his sour attitude and just buggered off.

Back