admiralperpetual

Limp Gawd
so I did an upgrade from my i5 3570k to a i7 4790k system last week, swapped in Asus Maximus VII Gene mATX board and some faster ram I had sitting on a shelf..

my problem is with everything set to default the motherboard sets the CPU turbo voltage to 1.25V, which I guess is "OK" - but it's a heatwave in Vancouver right now and my CM 212 EVO cooler just barely keeps it in check during stress tests. Oh and electricity is pretty expensive here :) This means it is running 4.4GHZ across all cores BTW.

if I set voltage to Manual I can set it to 1.183V (maybe lower) and it'll be fine, I ran it for 4 days without issue. problem is if I try to set it to Adaptive I can't get it to do anything different than AUTO..

IE if I set "Offset Sign" to "-" and then leave "CPU Core Offset" on "AUTO" but set "Additional Turbo Voltage" to say "0.06" it still goes to 1.25V.. I read a few different guides, some say that "Additional Turbo Voltage" should just be set to your desired turbo voltage, IE 1.183V, but doing that made no different either.. most people say you shouldn't need to set anything in the offset there at all either, are they wrong?

I can do straight "Offset Voltage" and get it down to 1.19V turbo or so, problem is that then my idle voltage drops way down to around 0.6V and BSOD if I leave it idling too long..

Questions:
-how do I properly set Adaptive Voltage on Asus Maximus VII series (z97) board? I have newest BIOS installed
-should I leave it on auto? leave on manual? is power saving worth it? we do use PC to watch netflix etc so running at full voltage during that even tho CPU clocks down to 800mhz seems silly

thanks!

Nobody?

Should it be like this:
upload_2018-7-27_9-27-30.png

? what if I don't want the base voltage to be lower, just the turbo voltage?

ok so i've just been running in "AUTO" mode with all core turbo, so effectively 4.4ghz but I think the voltage is way too high still. with my hyper 212 it idles in low to mid 40s which seems too high to me.. I can hear the fans going all the time.

is 1.25V actually OK? is my cooler just failing? maybe I should try re-mounting it?

Back