ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Have a weird problem, started today.

Twice now my computer has shut-down and upon reboot and I'm greeted with ASUS anti-surge protection message saying it detected problem in the last power-on with regards to the PSU. But this is long time since the last power-on.

What is the anti-surge measuring.. current problems meaning the text isn't really accurate or is it really only now telling me about a problem it believes it picked up ages ago?

It means the super io triggered a shutdown event because the voltage on one of the rails breached a certain threshold. The system stores that message and tells you when you power up cos well like all electrical things it needs to be on to tell you.. :)

The polling can sometimes trigger in error if there are multiple tools polling the super io, in which case you can disable the anti surge feature from uefi.

I just built a computer with h100i (z87-a MOBO with 4770k). When I booted for the first time, I got a CPU fan error message (boot device led was turned on in red). I rebooted and the light disappeared. I didn't make any changes to the system so why does it "reset" itself after restart? Is there a way for me to go back and check what that light was about?

It just stopped there in the boot process due to the fan speed or fan not plugged in to CPU header, so that's why you saw the led stop on boot.

You can change the rpm error threshold or disable warnings in uefi.

Howdy:

Got my brand new Max VI Formula up and running.
All stock for now.
Have enabled HD sound in the BIOS as well as S/PDIF enabled in the BIOIS.

Plugged my TosLink in to my Yamaha receiver (this was previously fine using S/PDIF off a X-Fi Titanium sound card). There is light in the port of the MB.

Drivers are the latest off the ASUS website from RealTek.

No sound.

Sound in the Windows control panel is enabled to RealTek digital-optical.

WTF.

Not heard of this issue before. What does Windows control panel show as the default audio device? Edit just saw the last sentence. No idea then. If the sound bar in control panel shows sound playing, then there is an issue between the mobo and receiever somehow. If the sound bar does not move, then mobo side/driver problem.

No other reports of this from anyone but will report to HQ. Just be sure to check as much on your side as you can as I don't want to send HQ on a goose chase.

Hey Raja:
Did more work.
Bought a SoundBlasterZ dedicated PCIe card....they were on sale at newegg for 1/2 off, BTW.
Disabled HD sound in the BIOS, uninstalled all RealTek stuff, installed new card, plugged in TosLink, installed new drivers, enabled the Optical Output in windows.....all the stuff I'd tried three times before on the MB.....
Bingo......sound......how about that......only cost me $60 bucks extra to have sound on my brand new MB.

Word to the wise......RealTek is weaksauce.:mad:

I haven't the faintest what the problem is on the board.
It's most likely a Realtek driver issue since the Creative stuff is just fine, both on this new soundcard and on my old Titanium card.
I really can't directly test the S/PDIF output connector, but it lights up the TosLink so I have to guess it's OK.

Sounds weird. I will try and link HQ to a single post from you for a replication - just list all the relevant things you can think of, as that's what they will ask me for...

Hey Magoo,

Get that single post over to me when you get a mo. All system config, OS, drivers - anything you can think of to make replication accurate.

-Raja

Maximus VI Gene. Clean install,Win 7 64, latest bio's and drivers. Mouse and keyboard are using usb 2.0 (black connections)

Problem- Slow loading of usb devices.

I'm having a problem that when I boot into windows, it takes a good 5-10 seconds before windows loads my usb devices like mouse and keyboard. Ethernet adapter also takes 8-10 seconds to load before i have internet access. I tried reformatting and reinstalling the drivers from scratch but still no fix. Have anyone else experienced this issue or know if its a driver issue or a hardware issue?

After further test problem is the Ethernet driver. I tried the latest driver from the motherboard web page and intel download center, problem still exist.
If i uninstall driver all usb devices load and work properly, except i have no internet w/o driver.

Posted problem on ROG forums and found others having same problem with other boards. Have not received replies.

Last edited:
Raja, is the Z87-PLUS gonna get the USB ASMedia_U3_FW_update that was made available for others boards (PRO,EXTREME,DELUXE,etc)? Because the Z87-PLUS also has 4 ASMedia USB ports...

Maybe it was forgotten?

Maximus VI Gene. Clean install,Win 7 64, latest bio's and drivers. Mouse and keyboard are using usb 2.0 (black connections)

Problem- Slow loading of usb devices.

I'm having a problem that when I boot into windows, it takes a good 5-10 seconds before windows loads my usb devices like mouse and keyboard. Ethernet adapter also takes 8-10 seconds to load before i have internet access. I tried reformatting and reinstalling the drivers from scratch but still no fix. Have anyone else experienced this issue or know if its a driver issue or a hardware issue?

After further test problem is the Ethernet driver. I tried the latest driver from the motherboard web page and intel download center, problem still exist.
If i uninstall driver all usb devices load and work properly, except i have no internet w/o driver.

Posted problem on ROG forums and found others having same problem with other boards. Have not received replies.

I guess that's just how the drivers load from your storage to the OS. You can try enabling USB full initial in UEFI and see if that will help at the expense of some post time, but I dont think there's anything else you can do.

@Raja I just got an email today from the etailer I bought the Fomula VI from today stating return to customer physical damage, however they do not state what the damage is. So I have no idea what could have been wrong. I inspected the board, pins etc and did not see a single issue when I first got it before installing. So if the etailer is sending the same board back then what do I do next, send it to ASUS?

They sent the board out on the 22nd and did not even send the email untill the 26th and it will be delivered on the 27th. So at this point I do not know if ASUS will honor the warrenty since I have no idea how it got damaged or what the damage is. Unless it was obviously damaged in transit then I do not know if I can expect any claim I make with ASUS to go any where. I'm starting to think I'm going to get screwed out of 299.99.

You'd need to see what the damage is - RMA policy is that all physical damage is not covered by warranty. Shipping damage is something between the sender and the courier company.

Raja, is the Z87-PLUS gonna get the USB ASMedia_U3_FW_update that was made available for others boards (PRO,EXTREME,DELUXE,etc)? Because the Z87-PLUS also has 4 ASMedia USB ports...

Maybe it was forgotten?

Being worked on. Give it a few days.

@Raja I just got an email today from the etailer I bought the Fomula VI from today stating return to customer physical damage, however they do not state what the damage is. So I have no idea what could have been wrong. I inspected the board, pins etc and did not see a single issue when I first got it before installing. So if the etailer is sending the same board back then what do I do next, send it to ASUS?

They sent the board out on the 22nd and did not even send the email untill the 26th and it will be delivered on the 27th. So at this point I do not know if ASUS will honor the warrenty since I have no idea how it got damaged or what the damage is. Unless it was obviously damaged in transit then I do not know if I can expect any claim I make with ASUS to go any where. I'm starting to think I'm going to get screwed out of 299.99.

Hmmm i wonder which etailer this is. Gonna have to take a wils stab in the dark it was Newegg? it is always possible, i suppose, that the board got damaged during installation, but sending an rma back with no explanation of damage is very shady. I'm going to have to suggest you get your credit card company or bank involved.

Hey Magoo,

Get that single post over to me when you get a mo. All system config, OS, drivers - anything you can think of to make replication accurate.

-Raja

Thanks for the reply.

System......nothing is overclocked. BIOS is all default unless otherwise indicated.
Maximus VI Formula, 16 GB Vengence RAM at 1866, one MSI R9 290X for the moment(no AMD audio drivers installed) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 all updated. Intel chipset, RealTek Sound, AMD graphis drivers.....downloaded the day the MB was installed off either the AMD or ASUS website. The sound is directed into a Yamaha RX-v365 receiver through a working TosLink optical cable. The optical out is enabled in the control panel, and S/PDIF is enabled in the BIOS.

As I stated, I installed a SoundBlasterZ dedicated soundcard in the same PCI-e x1 slot and using the same set-up now have fully functioning sound, through the S/PDIF connection on that card.
The optical out is enabled in the control panel, and S/PDIF is enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Raja... I wrote about my RAID-ed hard drives spinning down-up-down on shutdown.

Intel is telling me that my mobo is faulty and that I'm the only one in the world with that problem.

Asus is telling me that Intel's controller is faulty and that I'm the only one in the world with that problem.

If this keeps up, I'm going to lose my hard drives very quickly, since consecutive spin cycles are just nasty, especially for 3yo drives. It can't be the drives themselves, nor the PSU, since they behaved under XP and staggered spinup is a specific SATA feature. I also don't think Windows 8 is to blame, because there's no reason for it to write anything to the RAID array at the end of the shutdown cycle to cause them to spin back up again.

Do you have any ideas what I could do? I'm still on BIOS 1405. Have there been any changes for the drive controller in the two newer BIOS versions?

The only thing I have seen online about this is that this is an issue with Intel's IRST driver. Not much more I can help you with on this. The later UEFI versions have an ME update I believe and that's all I know. I do not know if that will play any part with your situation.

Searching the internet shows that other have had issues like you when using certain IRST drivers for RAID: http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-R-RST-RSTe-Drivers-actual-v-v-WHQL-10.html

Last edited:
Hm... That's similar, although PeRRo_RoJo has problems with two arrays. With only one array, he doesn't have the spinup problem :/ Also, he's on 8.1.

I'll ping Intel with that info. Maybe it's the same problem, maybe it's not... Thanks!

Did you try what we discussed previously; using older driver? You can tell Intel that you're not the only one.. there's quite a few of us who have/had that problem. Like I said, I had to move mine to the Asmedia ports to solve that issue, you can't of course due to RAID1 atm.

Also, do you really need RAID1 on the HDDs? It's no backup solution, one drive goes there goes all your data anyway. It's not making things faster either so personally I don't see any benefits.

I used to run my HDDs in RAD0 but got over that fast as it was pointless. Sure it was faster as I have SSDs but it's just storage and it's still transfers >100MB/s.

In the last 13 years, since assembling my first array, I've had two occasions where RAID-1 saved my ass. One drive goes, the data stays intact. I know it's not backup, but it's a major difference between "well, your last backup was six hours ago and you also didn't commit to source control today" and "whoops, I should buy new drives after work".

Since latest updates (BIOS, RST Driver, Windows 8.1 updates) my Z87-WS is sometimes not shutting down properly.

At the end of the shutdown process the display signal goes off and the system would just stay like that without turning off the PC. It happens at like 1 out of 20 shutdowns and I honestly cant tell if it started with the latest BIOS update or Windows 8.1 updates. I also updated the RST driver to the latest version from the ASUS website (12.8.0.1016).

After shutdown failed I can turn it off manually and back on and there are no errors logged.

Any suggestions whats causing this?

Raja,

I've got a Z87 Pro, 4770k, W7/64. I lost all sound. Kind of.

It -was- working fine, for about a month, then...I tried to do an update.

I tried the Asus AI suite autoupdate and it loaded the 1504 bios. THAT might've been the issue. The sound was working fine before that, now it's not. (I can't say THAT did it, because I didn't use the sound for a few hours prior to the update or for a day after the update.)

With the sound cranked up to ridiculous levels via the sound manager and with volume knob on my Klipsch Pro Medias so high I'm fearful, I can -just- barely make out the sound. When I test it with the HD sound manager, there is no stereo. (The test with the melody from the left, then the right, speakers.) Instead, it comes mainly from the right.

I reloaded the latest realtek drivers from the Asus website, v6017023, no joy.

Next, I noticed a NEWER bios, v1602. I installed that, manually, and still no change.

The onboard sound is busted. Unlike the poster, upstream, I'd rather not pay $60 to get it back. How do we get this thing recovered?

Thanks,
Ken

Edited to add: I fixed it!

Full disclosure so that I don't waste your time. Sigh. My right speaker has a small 3.5mm plug for headphones. My son left his ipod headphone connected. Sooo, this whole time I was cranking the volume and hearing what was coming out of the little earbuds sitting on the far corner of the desk.

Enjoy a chuckle. ;)

Last edited:
Raja,

I tried the Asus AI suite autoupdate and it loaded the 1504 bios. THAT might've been the issue. The sound was working fine before that, now it's not. (I can't say THAT did it, because I didn't use the sound for a few hours prior to the update or for a day after the update.)

With the sound cranked up to ridiculous levels via the sound manager and with volume knob on my Klipsch Pro Medias so high I'm fearful, I can -just- barely make out the sound. When I test it with the HD sound manager, there is no stereo. (The test with the melody from the left, then the right, speakers.) Instead, it comes mainly from the right.

Next, I noticed a NEWER bios, v1602. I installed that, manually, and still no change.

The onboard sound is busted. Unlike the poster, upstream, I'd rather not pay $60 to get it back. How do we get this thing recovered?

Thanks,
Ken

Full disclosure so that I don't waste your time. Sigh. My right speaker has a small 3.5mm plug for headphones. My son left his ipod headphone connected. Sooo, this whole time I was cranking the volume and hearing what was coming out of the little earbuds sitting on the far corner of the desk.

Enjoy a chuckle. ;)

Raja has reported your problem to headquarters and their response is PEBKAC :D.

Since latest updates (BIOS, RST Driver, Windows 8.1 updates) my Z87-WS is sometimes not shutting down properly.

At the end of the shutdown process the display signal goes off and the system would just stay like that without turning off the PC. It happens at like 1 out of 20 shutdowns and I honestly cant tell if it started with the latest BIOS update or Windows 8.1 updates. I also updated the RST driver to the latest version from the ASUS website (12.8.0.1016).

After shutdown failed I can turn it off manually and back on and there are no errors logged.

Any suggestions whats causing this?

I have Z87-Plus, not WS. I also run Win7 x64.

What I found in my tests was that RST driver provided no speed improvements at all vs generic Microsoft driver. Maybe try uninstalling RST driver and see if it helps (unless you have a RAID and actually need it - I don't)?

Maybe try uninstalling RST driver and see if it helps (unless you have a RAID and actually need it - I don't)?

I rely on the RST drivers, 1 SSD in single disk mode and 2 HDD's in RAID 0. Its probably the latest BIOS or the Windows 8.1 updates, maybe Raja got some information about the board sometimes not turning off the PC after shutdown. I have yet to try if the same happens under Linux but since its so rare it will probably take a while to reproduce.

I rely on the RST drivers, 1 SSD in single disk mode and 2 HDD's in RAID 0. Its probably the latest BIOS or the Windows 8.1 updates, maybe Raja got some information about the board sometimes not turning off the PC after shutdown. I have yet to try if the same happens under Linux but since its so rare it will probably take a while to reproduce.

I have no info on this other than I heard from other users it's an Intel IRST driver issue. If you have to use IRST drivers then you will have to put up with this until Intel patches the drivers.

Thanks for Info - "Maximus VI Gene stability test at 4.8GHz DDR3-2400" Great benchmark results :)

Raja,

Thanks,
Ken

Enjoy a chuckle. ;)

This post made my day...lol Thanks for being honest...

Update from Intel about my HDD spin cycles:

Since the issue seems to be happening with Intel RST v12.8 then there is no workaround currently available for a Z87 chipset motherboard. Z87 chipset motherboards support Intel RST v12.8 or newer. Previous Intel RST versions will not install.

At this moment all that we can do is to wait until higher level of support checks the issue and find a solution for it.

Hmph...

That's what you get for talking 1st line monkey's. If they actually knew their own product they'd see what it install automatically on a clean-install running RAIDx and it isn't 12.8.

Out of interest, can you tell me if the system was running at bone stock settings, or was it overclocked in any way on 1504 upwards? Overclocking includes memory running over DDR3-1600. A longshot is that the system is so unstable it cannot BOOT the drive (can happen with memory instability as well in some cases..). HQ are going to try and replicate so I need all the info you can give in a single post I can link them to. Be as complete as you can please and include everything you are changing in UEFI.

Finally managed to get back to this today. On the previous runs the CPU was running at stock however the memory was set to XMP. I re-ran a test with 1602 tonight using completely stock system settings (no xmp, memory was clocked to 1333). I changed my normal integrated peripheral settings (disabled on board audio, the third party SATA controller , wireless and realtech lan) and enabled intel virtualisation. The system immediately refused to read the boot info off the drive and threw out a disk read error.

I went back through an changed back all of the peripheral settings one at a time to see if any of them were at fault but I couldn't clear the error. I've now rolled back to 1405 again and everything is working fine.

Finally managed to get back to this today. On the previous runs the CPU was running at stock however the memory was set to XMP. I re-ran a test with 1602 tonight using completely stock system settings (no xmp, memory was clocked to 1333). I changed my normal integrated peripheral settings (disabled on board audio, the third party SATA controller , wireless and realtech lan) and enabled intel virtualisation. The system immediately refused to read the boot info off the drive and threw out a disk read error.

I went back through an changed back all of the peripheral settings one at a time to see if any of them were at fault but I couldn't clear the error. I've now rolled back to 1405 again and everything is working fine.

No replication success last time I spoke to HQ - I will forward them the things you are changing in UEFI and ask them to try. Have Corsair managed to shed any light on this from their side?

That's what you get for talking 1st line monkey's. If they actually knew their own product they'd see what it install automatically on a clean-install running RAIDx and it isn't 12.8.
If I uninstall RST, what's going to happen? I know I had a functional mirror after a fresh Windows install, but I'd really like to be able to set caching options, and I think the SSD also wouldn't mind having a fresh RST driver.

You can only uninstall the GUI but that won't help, you're still left with the driver. You can use the older driver/GUI 12.0.x something, I didn't have this problem with that but starting 12.5.x it appears.

I have no info on this other than I heard from other users it's an Intel IRST driver issue. If you have to use IRST drivers then you will have to put up with this until Intel patches the drivers.

Thanks for the hint. I've been looking up Intel forums and there seem to be some bugs in the 12.x series that probably cause this. Its rare and I can deal with it until new drivers are out.

Ok with you seeing different results, I kept playing around and found the reason (I believe on my board at least): drivers.

ASUS doesn't provide Asmedia SATA drivers for Win8.1 for my board (they do however for Win8). I also don't use Asmedia ports so have always disabled it and never cared about it's drivers of course.

So I installed the 1.16.x whatever driver, rebooted to make sure it now sees it as such. Once confirmed, rebooted again and turned off Asmedia in BIOS and guess what, no double-boots anymore once I go beyond 10 seconds.

Thanks to these last few posts I've been able to fix half of my problem (granted, the more annoying part) but the mystery why Fast-Boot disappears after 10 seconds remains.

I know it's been a while since you found this solution but I just wanted to bump it because I have found that it has an effect on some other things as well. My sleep states weren't working right with Asmedia SATA disabled. It was because I didn't have the driver installed. Once I did what EI suggests above in the quote--enabled the ASmedia SATA controller in BIOS, update driver through Device manager and point it to downloaded driver from win8 off ASUS site (don't use the installer) and THEN finally diable ASmedia controller in BIOS--no more cold boots after shutting down power, no more lost settings in chrome (I was having to resign into everything every time the comp went to sleep) and sleep is not randomly waking up or refusing to engage. I want to say my boot time was improved but I'm not positive. BIOS timer in task manager says I'm booting to win 8.1 in 6 seconds. This is using Hardware fastboot + fastboot on win 8.1 UEFI install.

Got another bug on my system, easy to replicate if it's around or not.

Using Manual mode and C3 enabled, sleep fails to function. If you manually do it, it works fine but it won't "engage" via the power plan. Changing over to Adaptive, it works as expected and goes to sleep at the defined time.

Manual mode + C3 enabled = Adaptive with no C states. So if you want to avoid that huge hike in volts on certain programs, this is one way to do it. I also cannot see any difference when you enable C6/C7, both Manual and Adaptive drop volts the same way.

Is there a fix to my voltage readings being wrong in HWMonitor? When I use offset it shows double of what the actual voltage is for IA and LLC/Offset?

Hey Raja,

I just built a Haswell box using the Z87I-DELUXE.

I'm having several issues that I haven't run into in the past with Asus mobos.

1) AI Suite reads completely wrong CPU temperature. I know that AI suite reads a different sensor than TJunction, so different temperatures can be expected. In the ~ dozen Asus boards I've used since P67, this temperature is ~ -10, and it scales linearly with TJunction. On this board, AI suite reads a temperature that is MUCH lower than actuality (-40), and only varies 1-3 degrees no matter what Tjunction is.
2) Fan Xpert does not honor the fan ramps that I set. In the screenshot below, I have the fan set to ~ 35% duty until a ramp temperature of 40 degrees. AI suite is reading a temperature of 40 degrees, however, it is assigning a 100% duty cycle to the fan, and ignoring the ramp completely. I have no idea why there are 2 yellow dots either. I am using a PWM fan BTW.

bn4Gto3.jpg

3) Speedstep doesn't seem to be working. It will not go below a 35x multiplier. It will turbo up to 42x no problem, but will not go below 35x no matter how long I let it sit.

2iJDyCh.jpg

I've reinstalled AI Suite several times, reformatted and reinstalled Windows. I have also upgraded bios to the most recent version, and cleared CMOS. Nothing has changed my 3 problems above.

I'm installing all of the correct and updated drivers from the Asus site. I've also tried INF and graphics drivers straight from Intel on subsequent formats without any change in behavior.

Do I have a bad mobo?

Thanks for the help.

I've narrowed down another issue with restarts and trouble engaging Sleep or "away" mode.

Package C State Support is finicky. For me C3 is the correct setting.

Do I have a bad mobo?
Very doubtful. Mobo looks fine.
As for Ai Suite I think I'm the only person in the world that likes and uses it but I can tell you that my install of the program has the same low CPU temp issue as yours. However my fan ramps act according to ACTUAL cpu temp instead of ai suite's low reading. This would support why your fan curve is running at 100% while at 80+ degrees in prime95. Also those temps look normal for p95 27.8 at 4.2Ghz on air. Ai suite reports cpu temp differently than normal, but since a month ago or so my fan ramps work as they should. I just wish you could map them to the GPU temp OR the CPU temp.

I am upgrading my P8z68 to the z87 deluxe quad. I have CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B. Will I have any problem going to this board with a 4770K?

I am using them in XMP for 2 years now with no issues. Was going to just move them on to the new board. I had to bump up the voltage on the z68 to get stable. I assume I will need to do the same here...Any advice before I make the swtich would be appreciated. I want to know if I will have a known issue early to avoid down time. I have the parts just waiting for time and planning the job.

Thanks!!

Ps. advice other than "not to do it." As someone stated earlier. from here out the gains will be small and long time in between them. In 3 yrs from now I will upgrade again. I dont see anything earth shattering in the near future. DDR4 will be killa expensive when it launches and that likely wont be for another year and half and Intel has delayed the next "tick." The board I have has thunderbolt 2 (nothing uses it yet), So My feeling is to not sit around waiting for something. I will be kicking up my GPU up to a gtx780 a few months after this upgrade but dont want too change too much at once so if things go bad I dont have too much to figure out.

Anyway advice and warning welcome for this upgrade, I DO NOT Plan on Overclocking and I am not currently overclocked, so hoping to feel a little gain around the MOBO more so than the chip.

Last edited:
I am upgrading my P8z68 to the z87 deluxe quad. I have CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B. Will I have any problem going to this board with a 4770K?

I am using them in XMP for 2 years now with no issues. Was going to just move them on to the new board.

Those corsair modules SHOULD work fine on an ASUS z87 board. The only question would be if they are flat out compatible but no warnings or caution needed in trying them out. 4770k runs fine at higher 1.65V+ mem if bump is needed for post.

Back