ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Raja@ASUS

All motherboards Asus z87 has a bug, if turn off the onboard controller ASMedia Sata is presented double cold boot.
Passed more than half a year, when the problem will be fixed!!!??? why such a lousy service :(

Is there a big advantage to be had by turning off asmedia Sata controller? M6H I have it turned off I don't get cold boots unless complete disconnected power to the mobo. Even then it's one cold boot then on in. Seems normal like the bios is setting voltages or something.

Ai suite 3 has some quirks about messing with voltages. I think the newest version (came out very recently) is much better and I use it for fan controller. My observation was that the version of ai suite that came with the driver disk is problematic. Installing updated ai suite 3 is difficult on win 7 there continues to be a process you must kill (axinst iirc) b4 the updated installer will begin. The update is worthwhile tho.

M6H I have it turned off I don't get cold boots unless complete disconnected power to the mobo.
I personally checked Deluxe/PRO/HERO/EXTREME/FORMULA/Z87-PLUS
We all have this problem, so I do not believe that you do not have this problem.
Authorized service center concluded that the problem occurs in all versions of the BIOS.
If turn off Realtek LAN also be a cold start double....
Problem affects only motherboards Asus. :(

Raja@ASUS

All motherboards Asus z87 has a bug, if turn off the onboard controller ASMedia Sata is presented double cold boot.
Passed more than half a year, when the problem will be fixed!!!??? why such a lousy service :(

Well, you've identified and provided half of the fix for the problem I've been talking about in the past few pages. Double-boot when you leave the computer off for more than 10seconds with Fast-Boot / Hardware Fast Boot enabled.

So I turned Asmedia and Wireless on in BIOS. Tried the above and guess what, no double-boot anymore if you leave it off for more than 10 seconds.

However, it's not the complete fix. Though it removes double-boot, it still fails to do a fast-boot if you leave it longer than 10 seconds.

When I look at the codes I can see it going to 04 mode when I turn the computer off. I start it within 10 seconds, it'll show 40 (fast-boot). I start it over 10 seconds, it'll show A0 (normal boot).

If you're not interested in getting Fast-Boot yet want this problem fixed; remove Fast-boot and Hardware Fast-boot in BIOS + untick it in Windows. Now you can have Asmedia, Wireless, etc disabled with no double-boot. Still not a fix though .. is it, just a work-around.

add: considering it took me 5mins to confirm this and also confirm it is the cause of my problems - yet it leaves Fast Boot still broken when >10 seconds, let's hope ASUS can spent 5mins to confirm it and actually provide a fix instead of just "BIOS string updates".

Last edited:
I personally checked Deluxe/PRO/HERO/EXTREME/FORMULA/Z87-PLUS
We all have this problem, so I do not believe that you do not have this problem.
Authorized service center concluded that the problem occurs in all versions of the BIOS.
If turn off Realtek LAN also be a cold start double....
Problem affects only motherboards Asus. :(

Well I just tested it again with new BIOS and now I have NO cold boot. I'm on Windows 7 Hardware fast boot is disabled. Fast boot is enabled seems to work fine. Don't really think it's so simple as just ASMedia controller on/off. I've had mine off for a while now and not having double cold boots. But I must admit I had lots of cold boots in the past with previous PSU which was not Haswell cert. but only ready, and other changes been made as well so I am not sure what fixed it for me. For example, currently I am using HD4600 onboard graphics while waiting for new card to arrive.

Last edited:
Duplicate the settings then advise what you see?

For example, I tried what you said and disabled Hardware Fast Boot. Now the boot times are freaking slow as hell as it sits in the POST screen for a life-time, boot is still fast but overall load is as long as normal boot because POST takes a life-time.

With Hardware Fast Boot enabled, the POST is instantaneous and because Fast-Boot also works (when done <10seconds) so is boot, making it a much faster experience.

Yeah it's understandable. Hardware fast boot doesn't work with win 7 so that's possibly part of it. I'll test on win 8.1 later.

After uninstalling AI Suite, I haven't had a single freeze yet. Computer ran fine for about 13 hours yesterday. Was that really it...?

Edit: I'm still annoyed by my hard drives spinning up after shutdown. Anyone has an idea how to fix that? It's like this: shutdown - drives spin down - monitor and fans turn off - drives spin up - drives spin down.

Last edited:
Yeah it's understandable. Hardware fast boot doesn't work with win 7 so that's possibly part of it. I'll test on win 8.1 later.

Ok with you seeing different results, I kept playing around and found the reason (I believe on my board at least): drivers.

ASUS doesn't provide Asmedia SATA drivers for Win8.1 for my board (they do however for Win8). I also don't use Asmedia ports so have always disabled it and never cared about it's drivers of course.

So I installed the 1.16.x whatever driver, rebooted to make sure it now sees it as such. Once confirmed, rebooted again and turned off Asmedia in BIOS and guess what, no double-boots anymore once I go beyond 10 seconds.

Thanks to these last few posts I've been able to fix half of my problem (granted, the more annoying part) but the mystery why Fast-Boot disappears after 10 seconds remains.

Last edited:
Ok with you seeing different results, I kept playing around and found the reason (I believe on my board at least): drivers.

ASUS doesn't provide Asmedia SATA drivers for Win8.1 for my board (they do however for Win8). I also don't use Asmedia ports so have always disabled it and never cared about it's drivers of course.

So I installed the 1.16.x whatever driver, rebooted to make sure it now sees it as such. Once confirmed, rebooted again and turned off Asmedia in BIOS and guess what, no double-boots anymore once I go beyond 10 seconds.

Thanks to these last few posts I've been able to fix half of my problem (granted, the more annoying part) but the mystery why Fast-Boot disappears after 10 seconds remains.

Oh thank Lord I don't have to test that on win 8.1 I was just about to give it a go.

As for the 10 second Fast Boot thing. There should be a setting in BIOS for Fast Boot after Power Cycle. Something like that. Is that ON?

Is ErP ON? Turn it OFF. ErP will completely disco all power to PSU as if you had the power cable pulled out. My M6H sometimes take very very long time to bleed out excess charge held when power completely disco, so 10 seconds sounds right.

One of those two changes if available should fix that issue. You can have ErP on if you have a PSU that is cert. for ErP6 iirc. If you have ErP ON you must turn Fast Boot after Power Cycle to ON as well. Then you will need to use Asus's software to get into BIOS or reset BIOS manually on the board.

After uninstalling AI Suite, I haven't had a single freeze yet. Computer ran fine for about 13 hours yesterday. Was that really it...?

Edit: I'm still annoyed by my hard drives spinning up after shutdown. Anyone has an idea how to fix that? It's like this: shutdown - drives spin down - monitor and fans turn off - drives spin up - drives spin down.

Yeah, AI Suite III had some issues, I suspect if you are finding the fan controller portion hard to live without, and you give a shot to the newest version they released last week or whatever, you won't have more problems with it. IF you do I would look into changing your settings as far as VID voltages are concerned. I learned early on it doesn't matter if you want to use a manual voltage setting to keep it LOCKED. You will still spend most of your time in very very low voltage because of C-states. Adaptive and auto are completely unnecessary if you know the correct voltage for your frequency at the highest load possible. For me, at stock speeds, its 1.5v VID 1.23v Cache which is auto bumped by the board to 1.5. I noticed Ai suite early versions were causing crashes and freezes on my system and caught it changing my setting to adaptive once. Even on that old version I messed with it til it stopped doing that by creating power profiles or something like this. Still, the new version is actually quite good and I've become much happier with Asus's software package.

If I stop hearing so many horror stories about their RMA process (I've never had any problems) I might continue buying their products.

The hard drives spinning up after shutdown is really weird. I almost want to ask you about ErP setting as well. There are a lot of settings in these BIOS... Some are so hard to test and not so much is known about their effects yet. I want to say most of the complications for me were caused by all the new power saving features and a PSU that worked fine when those features were turned off or altered, but really wasn't designed in time for the engineers to make them completely compatible. Unfortunately the company stamped "Haswell Ready" on it and made it confusing.

I already had the newest AI Suite.

Honestly, I thought it was just a monitor that has a couple of features which interact with the BIOS if you tell them to. Had no idea that AIS would actually change settings on its own. Seemed like a simple front-end. Then again, I should have suspected that the "AI" part will try to be all Skynet...

I am yet to read the manual and teh internetz about all the BIOS settings and what each voltage is for. You know, back in my day, we'd just switch a couple of jumpers on the motherboard and that was it... So I'm almost entirely clueless about 80% of the stuff that's in a BIOS these days.

I'll check out ErP settings when I get home. It's weird, yeah. Thought that disabling hybrid shutdown would make it go away, but it didn't.

I haven't got any testing time really with 8.1 and AI suite3 so I can't speculate on that. As far as my experience with recent version and windows 7: much improved. It listens.

I really need to start thinking of things in terms of win 7 and 8+ being completely separate. They really behave differently in some ways and I didn't know until I picked up a copy this week. I don't like it, but at least I know a little more about what's going on with it. I actually have it up for sale I don't like it so much. I'm sure I'll be keeping it--no one really seems interested. Especially now that people seem to be pirating it. I don't know if that's true or not really but that's what I heard. I personally have really begun to enjoy spending money on good software now that I have a little money to spend for the first time in my life. So far I don't see win 8.1 as particularly good software.

Raja@ASUS

I dont't care about double BOOT, I think people worry about this too much - and I've never seen anything die as a result of it, so not going to engage with these things and waste time.. You'll need to take this up with your local service. I don't see it as a bug at all, sorry.

The Corsair Force GT is not SF1200 based, it's a SF2200 controller. As the drive is hooked up directly to the first SATA port on the board using the Asus provided SATA leads and only thing only variable was the UEFI version for the Z87 Deluxe (1405 to 1502) I'd say it's pretty clear that it's a firmware issue as rolling back immediately resolves the problem. The system was not over clocked during the update or during testing (only a crazy person would try to troubleshoot like that). The drive is running the most recently available firmware (5.05a).

Okay so you have an issue with the Corsair SF2200 (GT) SSD. I guess the 840 Pro was not an issue at all correct (seeing as you removed the info about that drive from the quote of my post)? You'd be surprised how many crazy people are out there, so I have to ask some of these bizarre questions.

Have you tried enabling the "Hot plug" setting in in UEFI on the port the SF2200 controller drive is attached to? That should cure any issue with this controller on the latest firmware going by what I heard from OCZ recently (they have drives with this controller too and apparently the latest FW will do this if the hot plug setting is not enabled).

I will ask HQ about the SF2200 also. You will need to supply a screenshot of UEFI this time (as the 840 Pro was a wild goose chase) - HQ wont look into it unless there is some form of effort on the end-user's part to be accurate.

-Raja

Last edited:
There should be a setting in BIOS for Fast Boot after Power Cycle. Something like that. Is that ON?

Fast Start after AC, yeap set to Fast Start (instead of Normal).

Is ErP ON?

Nope, ErP disabled.

One of those two changes if available should fix that issue. You can have ErP on if you have a PSU that is cert. for ErP6 iirc. If you have ErP ON you must turn Fast Boot after Power Cycle to ON as well. Then you will need to use Asus's software to get into BIOS or reset BIOS manually on the board.

Fast Startup isn't related/option which disables access to BIOS (ie: Asrock ultra-fast or whatever which disables mouse/keyboard during POST). From what I see, our Seasonic PSUs are rated exactly the same re: Haswell and Seasonic have confirm X-760W is just fine with it also. AFAIK you know you're in trouble if after enabling C6/C7 and using sleep it starts causing problems - I don't have issues there.

Thanks for the ideas though, pretty much exhausted everything. there's really not that much to change let's be honest. It just doesn't work as-is.

Thought that disabling hybrid shutdown would make it go away, but it didn't.

Disable hibernation file and issue solved (that's if you have no use for it).

I dont't care about double BOOT, I think people worry about this too much - and I've never seen anything die as a result of it, so not going to engage with these things and waste time.. You'll need to take this up with your local service. I don't see it as a bug at all, sorry.

Clear, as mentioned earlier, terrible service! for me and for many it is a critical bug...

Asus probably made &#8203;&#8203;a mistake in the PCB layout that's BIOS not correct the problem.
I have no other explanation.
I throw Asus Hero, and go to buy ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer! she had no such problems and support staff work very quickly! write to technical support is possible directly from the BIOS! solve the problem for a week and then send the beta BIOS for testing! That's what I understand service!

Good luck, I'm sorry for Asus

Okay so you have an issue with the Corsair SF2200 (GT) SSD. I guess the 840 Pro was not an issue at all correct (seeing as you removed the info about that drive from the quote of my post)? You'd be surprised how many crazy people are out there, so I have to ask some of these bizarre questions.

Have you tried enabling the "Hot plug" setting in in UEFI on the port the SF2200 controller drive is attached to? That should cure any issue with this controller on the latest firmware going by what I heard from OCZ recently (they have drives with this controller too and apparently the latest FW will do this if the hot plug setting is not enabled).

I will ask HQ about the SF2200 also. You will need to supply a screenshot of UEFI this time (as the 840 Pro was a wild goose chase) - HQ wont look into it unless there is some form of effort on the end-user's part to be accurate.

-Raja

I still have a problem with the 840 pro, however I suspect that is related to this boards somewhat temperamental behaviour with solid state drives being plugged into the Corsair 800D's hot swap bays (seems to change it's mind on what works and what doesn't between firmware revisions). I just wanted to correct the mistake with regards to what flavour of sata controller the Force GT comes with.

I'll have another go with 1504/1602 and the hot plug setting in the morning and see if that helps.

I still have a problem with the 840 pro, however I suspect that is related to this boards somewhat temperamental behaviour with solid state drives being plugged into the Corsair 800D's hot swap bays (seems to change it's mind on what works and what doesn't between firmware revisions). I just wanted to correct the mistake with regards to what flavour of sata controller the Force GT comes with.

The chipset itself is very tight for SATA timing spec. Any additional interconnect such as the drive bay you mention is a potential issue. Corsair had to revise them once already. This isn't a UEFI/board issue per se, it's more a chipset thing with certain interconnects. Some cheap SATA cables cause problems too (noise etc).

Clear, as mentioned earlier, terrible service! for me and for many it is a critical bug...

Asus probably made &#8203;&#8203;a mistake in the PCB layout that's BIOS not correct the problem.
I have no other explanation.
I throw Asus Hero, and go to buy ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer! she had no such problems and support staff work very quickly! write to technical support is possible directly from the BIOS! solve the problem for a week and then send the beta BIOS for testing! That's what I understand service!

Good luck, I'm sorry for Asus

To be honest, when I read he's reply I laughed, couldn't really believe the attitude. After 3 generations of asus Z boards this will be the last. Z77 was the best, the Z87 is almost as bad as Z68 was and over the years, the care level has dropped considerably.

Any time AC power is removed from a PSU or ErP modes are used, after a certain amount of time the residual charge stored in the onboard capacitors drains - that's any device attached to a rail that is no longer powered. After that happens, the onboard controllers will be fully reset so there's no mystery about this at all and it really doesn't matter either way.

Possibly IRST driver related - that would be an Intel thing and perhaps it's also something to do with data being written to the drives for fast BOOT(depending on how configured. If it's IRST, you're at the mercy of Intel).

It's a HDD RAID array... My boot drive is an SSD. I don't know why it would write anything to the HDDs :/ And I think I have disabled everything "fast" in BIOS. I'll check when I get home.

I need IRST for the RAID, though. It's just weird that IRST on my old computer never did that.

The new IRST drivers have a few issues and I think I have heard from someone else, what you are seeing is a facet of them. That being the case, you are kinda stuck as you have to use the drivers.

When I look at the codes I can see it going to 04 mode when I turn the computer off. I start it within 10 seconds, it'll show 40 (fast-boot). I start it over 10 seconds, it'll show A0 (normal boot).
Seems to be a bit of misadventure here concerning fast boot. Q-Code 40 indicates the system is resuming from the S4 power state not fast boot. Pre-Win8 the S4 state is what has previously been referred to as hibernation. If using Win8/8.1 with default settings the S4 state is a hybrid form of hibernation. The current state of the kernel is saved to the hard drive, all other user sessions are dumped and all components are put in the D3 state. If upon resuming the system does not boot from the S4 state there is a system configuration error, power has been removed from the system or not all components properly support the D3 state.

Fast Startup isn't related/option which disables access to BIOS (ie: Asrock ultra-fast or whatever which disables mouse/keyboard during POST).

Disable hibernation file and issue solved (that's if you have no use for it).
This is not correct. ASRock ultra-fast is equivalent to the ASUS hardware fast boot. To use either requires that all devices initialized during POST are UEFI compatible. Also, as noted above if there is no hibernation file fast boot cannot be implemented. At this point I would suggest reviewing Microsoft and Intel docs related to the S and D states to understand how mucking about with settings can affect the behavior of these states and the requirements of the used components needed to use these states.

Seems to be a bit of misadventure here concerning fast boot. Q-Code 40 indicates the system is resuming from the S4 power state not fast boot. Pre-Win8 the S4 state is what has previously been referred to as hibernation. If using Win8/8.1 with default settings the S4 state is a hybrid form of hibernation. The current state of the kernel is saved to the hard drive, all other user sessions are dumped and all components are put in the D3 state. If upon resuming the system does not boot from the S4 state there is a system configuration error, power has been removed from the system or not all components properly support the D3 state.

This is not correct. ASRock ultra-fast is equivalent to the ASUS hardware fast boot. To use either requires that all devices initialized during POST are UEFI compatible. Also, as noted above if there is no hibernation file fast boot cannot be implemented. At this point I would suggest reviewing Microsoft and Intel docs related to the S and D states to understand how mucking about with settings can affect the behavior of these states and the requirements of the used components needed to use these states.

Wow. That's some interesting reading right there. Guess I have some more learnins to do! Thanks for the accurate input on this.

TY Raja as well.

Hey jkramp, thanks for providing assistance. After reading this wall of text give me your thoughts.

Let's start from the beginning to ensure nothing is missed: system is Win8.1 in EFI mode with CSM disabled to ensure only EFI ROMs are loaded so we're all talking about the same thing here. Disable hibernation file = no fast-boot, hybrid sleep etc. Shut down the Computer and it will go into S5 sleep as confirmed by the Q-code. Turn the Computer on and it shows A0 which is your bog standard boot-up. It doesn't matter what you have in your BIOS enabled/disabled.

Nothing fancy about the above, just wanted to ensure it's covered but please tell me if you disagree?

Now to the problem, when I enable hibernation file and have Fast Boot enabled things change of course; shut down the Computer and it will go into S4 sleep as confirmed by the Q-code. Code 40 as we know states it's resuming from S4. That is the state Win8 (Win8.1) goes into when you utilise Fast-Boot and shut down the Computer. If I use Sleep then it goes into S3 etc and with sleep there are no problems at all (I'm including this part to ensure we're noting the differences and that sleep S3 does not have a problem).

Fast-Boot works as expected up until 10 seconds, have the Computer turned off any longer and it loses this "knowledge" (lack of a better word - maybe as Raja noted earlier, capacitors lose the charge for a weird reason I don't know) for some reason and therefore does a normal boot (A0). No double-boots after fixing the Asmedia problem with drivers that ASUS doesn't even supply or acknowledgment todate that a controller which is disabled in BIOS for some reason actually needs them.

I know how this works/behaves because it works to an extent as noted, it does not remove ability to access BIOS (and therefore is not equivalent to Asrock ultra-fast boot - to get an equivalent on ASUS you disable USB initialisation completely, I have it on Partial so it sees my USB keyboard/mouse and yes; I've also tried this with disabled to remove it being a possible cause).

So, I'm not sure where the "misadventure" part comes in here but happy to be shown what I'm doing wrong to get this fixed, I know you've provided input for others so maybe you're my saviour also? After all this time - nobody here has shown it working or proven me wrong. I want this working, this is not a bash against ASUS so if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong please do. Hell, maybe it is RST (not the GUI which I can remove but the actual drivers or even the bloody OROM).

With this part I'm lost on. Were you under the impression I don't have hibernation on when I'm trying to get this working and/or because I suggested the other user to disable it as it will remove his problem (as a work-around incase he has no use for the hibernation file)? Also see earlier comment re: ASUS vs. Asrock.

Note that I didn't mention HW Fast Boot in the first part at all. it's because it's not related to Fast Boot in anyway. You can disable Fast Boot and have HW Fast Boot enabled as they provide different behaviour.

- Disable HW Fast Boot and even in EFI / CSM disabled mode and in RAID0 SSD you're stuck with a very, very long POST screen. It does not affect/change BOOT at all.
- Enable HW Fast Boot and suddenly your POST is very fast, yet you can still access BIOS no problems, again enabling it has no impact on your BOOT at all.

HW Fast Boot works beyond 10 seconds, it's a separate functionality from Fast Boot. My system is listed below with everything up-to-date. ErP in BIOS is disabled and the computer is plugged into a wall socket (not a power-saving add-on etc).

Last edited:
There is nothing weird about caps losing charge - it's simple physics.

Any changes in BOOT behaviour after X time are either down to reset of controllers and or training requirements (longer memory training process) - issues with setup of things withstanding.

Last edited:
- Disable HW Fast Boot and even in EFI / CSM disabled mode and in RAID0 SSD you're stuck with a very, very long POST screen. It does not affect/change BOOT at all.
- Enable HW Fast Boot and suddenly your POST is very fast, yet you can still access BIOS no problems, again enabling it has no impact on your BOOT at all.

HW Fast Boot works beyond 10 seconds, it's a separate functionality from Fast Boot. My system is listed below with everything up-to-date. ErP in BIOS is disabled and the computer is plugged into a wall socket (not a power-saving add-on etc).

I could test the part in bold but I don't like RAID. It's a mental block kinda thing. Anyway it's certainly a slight incompatibility somewhere, but it's getting to be really esoteric :D

IF RAID is part of the problem you're kinda stuck with it but, I am left with the feeling that this is really really splitting hairs. We're talking about the difference of 5 seconds over the constant gains you get from your RAID setup. And unless you sit all day cycling the PC between power up and wait 10 seconds in between it's not going to affect your life at all unless you let it continue to bother you. As a slightly (or totally) obsessive person I can respect working at a detail like this for your own amusement or torture but I'm sorta with Raja about it being irrelevant. And like you said, this is the lesser of the two annoying problems you were left with.

To be fair to ASUS/Raja (and yes I'm glad it works for my own sanity), I've tested and my fast boot+Hardware fastboot works past 10 seconds of power off on windows 8.1, but I have to use CSM legacy oprom for boot drive. In fact...

I didn't understand I needed hibernation enabled for it to work as I've had it disabled like I always did in windows 7. Now I'm a little more interested in getting used to windows 8.1--not just because it boots in 3 seconds to desktop but I have both 7 and 8.1 up and running and I don't exactly feel like 8.1 is this complete pile of crap as I am getting more used to it. I wish they hadn't removed Aero in the way they did but I suspect they did it to get some kind of gains that weren't possible otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, with Win8.1 there really isn't that much to complain anymore. It doesn't take long to get used to what you need and I for example don't use metro at all basically and I can still avoid crap on the screen etc.

Thanks for the checking too, pretty much confirms then it's my end. I'll keep at it and update if something changes.

There is now a Z87-EXPERT BIOS 1602 out. Anyone tried that with the 840 pro? Specifically two or more 840 pro in raid?

edited/updated: Fark it. Something has broken it again. wtf.

It's only fair I update on my saga and the victorious ending for it (well, sort of).

I'd had enough trying to find a problem with a system that had old information on it. So I reinstalled Win8.1 (not as easy as you'd think if you've got an upgrade), but here's a link that worked for me. You still need your Win8 upgrade key etc for it to work so it's nothing illegal.

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/19/download-windows-81-iso-using-windows-8-product-key/

Anyhow, with the clean system it had no drivers and of course no network for Windows to update anything which was the aim. First thing I tried was Fast Boot - and it worked. I then plugged in my 2 HDDs and went to BIOS to put back my OC settings - and it kept working. I then installed Network driver and it kept working. Good stuff.

However, after a reboot Windows installed Nvidia drivers for me (full set of 331.65 for those playing at home). Anyhow, with them installed I went ahead and enabled SLI - tried Fast Boot: gone, no worky, back to square one. Disabled SLI (didn't touch drivers) and tried again - back to working. Kept testing, still working after mins waiting. So I used DDU to remove it all as I don't use 3D etc and right now, I can't use SLI if I want to play around with Fast Boot to make sure it keeps working.

Now I know my problem. Excluding RST (windows installs old 12.0.1 driver), I've installed all my normal programs and drivers that I use and I still have working Fast Boot (fingers crossed it remains so). Something about the drivers and SLI is wonky (have not tried older set yet, need a brake and end this on a happy note for once).

Last edited:
Raja, what installs all this ASUS stuff onto my computer?

http://i.imgur.com/CXXIFDx.png

I did not install any ASUS software myself. There was also a service called ASUS COM or something which I had to remove using AI SUITE III uninstaller. Why are these getting installed?

I also have that atkexComSvc.exe running and I only installed 2 things from Asus:

Network Drivers (network adapter not working after windows 8 install)
Chipset Drivers (had an unknown device reported in device manager)

I also noticed Windows was pulling some Asus software on windows update, I tried to deselect them but perhaps something also got automatically installed (I have it that way)

Last edited:
Yeah Windows installs those services for AI Suite automatically. Win 8 is like that, has stipulations for WHQL etc I suppose. Another thing I would not worry about - not worth fretting over things like this or a few seconds of BOOT time IMO. There are bigger things in life and on PCs one should be focused on.

Why do you think there would be an issue with the 840 pro?

Well, my system runs of a 4x 840 pro raid with win7. It boots with 1405 but not with 1504. It freezes at GUI start. Every GUI, so no install or recovery console is possible. MB diag code is different between versions, see earlier post.

Thanks

Link me to the earlier post and provide as much detail as you can about the problem in a single post that I can link HQ to please. If you are using any drive bay or interconnect other than a SATA cable to connect the drives tell me about that as well.

EDIT: 1504 is an ME update, so it's possible that breaks RAID config on older ME version. If that's the case, you're going to to make a new array on the ME.

Last edited:
However, after a reboot Windows installed Nvidia drivers for me (full set of 331.65 for those playing at home). Anyhow, with them installed I went ahead and enabled SLI - tried Fast Boot: gone, no worky, back to square one. Disabled SLI (didn't touch drivers) and tried again - back to working.
Maybe SLI breaks D3 somehow. In the APM section of the motherboard's UEFI set the PCIe entry to enabled. This will keep minimal power to the PCIe slots when in the S4 state if Win8 does not override it.

Raja, what installs all this ASUS stuff onto my computer?

http://i.imgur.com/CXXIFDx.png

I did not install any ASUS software myself. There was also a service called ASUS COM or something which I had to remove using AI SUITE III uninstaller. Why are these getting installed?
This is normally the AMDA000 driver being install during Win8/8.1 updates. This is a low level interface driver for ASUS software such as AI Suite and ASUS Boot Setting.

Link me to the earlier post and provide as much detail as you can about the problem in a single post that I can link HQ to please. If you are using any drive bay or interconnect other than a SATA cable to connect the drives tell me about that as well.

EDIT: 1504 is an ME update, so it's possible that breaks RAID config on older ME version. If that's the case, you're going to to make a new array on the ME.

I was thinking of documenting my problem at http://vip.asus.com/ Is that what you mean with HQ?

I´ll try the new 1602 bios now. If it is not booting I might try to rebuild the array.

Back