ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Hey Guys,

someone arround having problems with a USB3 USB Stick ?

I got an Maximus Hero, 4770k with 16GB Corsair Vengeance.
I installed the Win7 on a new Samsung 840pro.

My Problem is, that this thing does not give me any access to my Sandisk Extreme USB3 Stick. After attaching it there is Massstoragedevice in the devicemanager. But nothing else. Nothing in explorer, othing in diskmanager. USB2 or 3 slot doesnt matter.
Intel USB Drivers are installed.
Other USB sticks work as expected, and this Sandisk works at my other systems like normal.
Maybe more trouble with USB than S3 sleep ?

best regards

ok, i solved my Problem by uninstalling all USB roots and hosts and stuff in devicemanager and let the os install it once again after reboot....

have a nice day

There's a downloadable guide on the first page of the thread (look at the bottom of the ROG section). Also this UEFI guide. There is info in both - might not be quite what you're looking for but there's enough there to get you going. I wrote some stuff on adaptive, manual and offset in the UEFI guide here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country=&status=

-Raja

Ok, it makes sense now. Basically I am going to dial my Adaptive voltage in REAL close to my already stable voltage but keeping in mind any AVX instructions will push well beyond that stable voltage. I know right now just setting 1.22 gives me 1.3V when stressing using AVX instructions but I am getting blue screens with it that load when she goes full tilt not using AVX because the voltage is to low. I will just keep ramping up the voltage until I stop getting blue screens and see how much it takes. I know I will have more than enough for AVX instructions. Sounds like leaving the cache speed stock isn't a bad idea. My benches are already almost identical to my 4.8ghz Sandy and yet im only at 4.5ghz with this chip. Thx Raja!

After a lot of rebooting, etc. I found out the cause of the quick repowers before it actually comes up with a bios screen.

To test you hit power button when in the bios to turn off the computer.
Then press the off switch on your power supply. Wait until the lights go out on the mother board.
Then turn the power supply back on. Hit the power button.

On my system I'll get a quick repower. What I mean is soon as the board lights up. It goes dark, then starts up again. Then it'll go dark again and light up again.

The first one is quick, soon as it comes on it powerdowns and backup. The second one it stays on for a few seconds then powers down and backup. So i'll call the first one quick repower, and second one slow repower.

The quick repower is caused by enabling fully manual mode under AI tweaker.
The slow repower is caused by disabling one or all of the following under on board devices.
ASM1061 E12 or E34 storage controller
Realtek lan controller.

When you change one of the settings above hit F10 and save. The board will power down and backup. And it'll do the same if you do what I said at the top of this post.

To me this seems normal, or maybe a bug in the bios. Now this never happens if you just simply turn your computer off. If the PSU never gets turned off, or you never lose power from the wall. The system will boot up normal.

Before I did all this testing I reset the bios using the CLR CMOS button. I have a z87-deluxe.

Last edited:
If anyone have problem with CPU led being red and hard to get it to post from cold boot, exchange the PSU for some more compatible, I just learned that mine new Chieftec BPS 750w C2 is not compatible for me (I have asus z87-A), switched with old LC hyperion 700w and no issue!

At first it looked like mobo/cpu is defect or problems with ram but at the end its compatibility problem PSU - CRAP intel CPU design!

Last edited:
If anyone have problem with CPU led being red and hard to get it to post from cold boot, exchange the PSU for some more compatible, I just learned that mine new Chieftec BPS 750w C2 is not compatible for me (I have asus z87-A), switched with old LC hyperion 700w and no issue!

At first it looked like mobo/cpu is defect or problems with ram but at the end its compatibility problem PSU - CRAP intel CPU design!

Yeah, Cheiftec isn't exactly one of the better brands. My Seasonic 750W works like a champ.

This part does not necessarily apply to you: What I want is direct requests without aversion of why this functionality is needed or semi-info. I don't want to hear about who someone writes for, having legions of followers, what they'll do if they don't get what they want or their twitter account. That's one way NOT to ask for my help, whether it's a threat or fact. I don't mind helping people, it's what I'm here for (North America only, mind), but there is a way of asking, and If I'm going to stick my neck out I want honesty in return. Valid reasons for making changes are needed, without subterfuge.

-Raja
Then I guess that it must be addressed to me. Great. Well. Let's stick to the facts then shall we. First. I did post a direct and polite request, addressed at you, since people told me that you would be able to help. The problem is that somehow hackintosh stuff got dragged into it, and someone kept on talking like this is a USB specific problem. But it isn't! Secondly. I was and still am grateful for your help. I've said it and I say that once more here in this reply to you. Thank you!

However. Then I got mixed up with a dead girl and I was not amused by your error, and the lack of apology thereafter, and thus I said something like: "Let me tweet this error". So no. It has absolutely nothing to do with "not getting what I want" or hackintosh stuff.

In the end it all comes down to this fact: GPT still works with all previous UEFI BIOS versions, for both Sandy Bridge (even before that) and Ivy Bridge motherboards, but not anymore. GPT is part of the specification, but can not be used to boot a legacy operating system. Not when there is a EFI partition. Which is also part of the specification by the way. That to me is the real problem. But now you make it look like I am not honest, lie, cheat or was ungrateful for your support. That itself is a lie Sir!

It was the changes in what you intended to do about returning the board and roping in media and blogs that threw me back to dhp (whoever that was was very similar in their approach, plus had multiple aliases). Fwiw I will apologise for that but I feel I was fair in my assessment of the tactics used - media, blogs, articles etc. That stuff was mentioned before my comment about dhp not after.

Legacy operating system support is not claimed so you'll have to present a valid case to the support folks over in Holland.

That all being said, we have both agreed several times over what the regional policies are so I think its time to move on. Will be my last post addressing this.

Last edited:
How does the Supreme FX on the ROG boards compare to the Asus Xonar PCI? Will my headphones be amped like the Xonar does? Will it do Dolby Headphone or something similar?

The m6f has a headphone amp and dac. Don't think it has Dolby headphone though. The other boards don't have a separate dac or some dont have headphone amp. I have not tried all the sound cards or compared them to the boards so am not sure how they subjectively compare.

Last edited:
How does the Supreme FX on the ROG boards compare to the Asus Xonar PCI? Will my headphones be amped like the Xonar does? Will it do Dolby Headphone or something similar?

Which Xonar PCI? I think are a couple like the D1 and Essense ST etc.. I would not expect any on board to keep up. I don't care if it does have a headphone amp.

It appears the CPU fan header will not throttle 3 pin fans but all others will. Why did they not let us have adjustments to the Opt CPU fan header? This would have been perfect for so many of us running dual fan setups.

Change your CPU QFAN setting in the UEFI. A Z87-Pro will throttle down CPU & Opt CPU 3-pin fans on v1007.

Does ASUS Z87-C support CPU Adaptive Voltage as all other ASUS Z87 motherboards do, because the manual says otherwise...According to the manual only GPU Adaptive Voltage is supported.

The VRM is only 4 phase on that board, so I'd advise not fiddling with voltages much on it anyway.

Got everything up and running now, Z87-WS and 4770k at 4.4Ghz/1.169v with Adaptive (+47).

The CPU isn't downclocking at all when idle neither does the voltage go down. C States were on AUTO by default, setting them to Enabled didn't change anything.

Is there any other setting i'm missing?

Settings I changed related to OC:

Ai Overclock Tuner to X.M.P
Core Ratio Limit to 44 (Sync All Cores)
PLL Overvoltage: Disabled (Didn't want this and remembered it cause problems with Sleep modes before)
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Core Voltage Offset: 47 (to get 1.170v under load which was stable when set as manual voltage)
C States: Enabled

Can I leave the Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio at AUTO or is it recommended to set it to 44 as well?
Should I leave CPU Power Phase Control at AUTO or set it to Optimized for my 4.4Ghz/1.170v OC?

One thing to note about to board: The Z87-WS is a great successor of the Z77 WS but has one design flaw that really made think why was ASUS doing that. The CHA Fan Headers 3 and 4, placed directly under PCIe slot 1.... I wasn't able to fit my Geforce Titan into the slot when I had a Fan cable connected to either header, they are really bad placed there. I can only use CHA Fan Headers 1, 2 and CPU Opt for my 3 Case Fans now.

Thanks and kind regards

Last edited:
If you have the ability to type in the Adaptive voltage do that instead of using an offset. Just type in the final load voltage into the adaptive box.

Make sure Windows is set to the right performance plan.

The rest of your questions, read this guide (ignore any ROG settings).
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country=&status=

Thanks Raja, I had Windows 8 in Maximum Performance mode, thats why it didn't lower clock speeds and voltage when idleing. I set it to Balanced now.

Kind regards

Regarding AVX not playing well with Offset/Adaptive, does the 0.1v bump count for everything or just extreme load situations like Prime95? In the guide it is recommended to use manual voltage when using any AVX programs.

The new GRID 2 racing game for example comes with AVX support which give a nice performance boost. Is load like that causing problems as well?

Maybe the load is not heavy enough so you might be okay. I think its going to come down to how much AVX code is being executed. Difficult to say without testing things I guess.

If you have the ability to type in the Adaptive voltage do that instead of using an offset. Just type in the final load voltage into the adaptive box.

Settings for the WS seem to be a bit different, I still have to set an offset value. Is this the correct way to set the Adaptive mode:

u30l.jpg

I can probably tweak it further and set -20 or -30 to get lower idle voltages (1.007v for 800Mhz idle now, 1.174v under load at 4400Mhz).

Thanks again.

You would ordinarily just enter the value into the "additional turbo mode CPU core voltage" box and leave it at that. Idle voltage offset makes no real difference when the CPU enters C states as it draws so little current, up to you if you want to "tweak" for that or not.

You would ordinarily just enter the value into the "additional turbo mode CPU core voltage" box and leave it at that.

Thanks again, I have it set like that now. One last question, leaving the cache ratio on AUTO is ok or should I set that to x44 as well for min and max? I tried both and couldn't tell a difference performance wise. Both multiplier and cache ratio at x44 is stable for me, AUTO will probably leave it at x39.

Kind regards

I did say you in the guide the performance difference is not large. Make your choice - whatever suits you best.

I've run into a small problem with my Z87-Pro regarding my USB 3 ports on the front of my case (the ones that connect via the USB 3 connector on the motherboard, near the 24-pin power connector). I can't seem to get my WD Elements 1TB external drive (apologies for the NewEgg link, I do not have NewZon on this computer) to connect properly when I use the front IO panel. The drive shows up as a "Local Disk" instead of the normal "Elements" label and it locks up Disk Management and the Computer window whenever I try to do anything with it. My computer specifications are:
  • ASUS Z87-Pro
  • Intel i5-4670K OC'd to 4.3 GHz
  • Noctua NH-D14 HSF
  • Two ASUS GTX 660's in SLi
  • Samsung 830 128 GB SSD
  • WD Black 1 TB
  • Corsair Carbide 300R Case
  • Seasonic x750 Gold 750W PSU
  • Windows 8 Pro
Here's what I've tried:
  • Replaced the front I/O panel with a new one from Corsair and made sure that the cable was firmly connected. Before I replaced the I/O panel, my drive would mount correctly in Windows 8, but whenever I tried to transfer any large amount of data (1 GB or higher) it would rapidly unmount and remount the drive. This is why I requested a new I/O panel from Corsair, believing it was a bad part from Corsair as that seemed more likely.
  • Uninstalled all the USB devices I could (without disabling use of my mouse/keyboard) in my Device Manager. Trying to uninstall the external HDD in Device Manager just locks up Device Manager.
  • Installed the latest chipset drivers from ASUS's web site.
  • Tested with my USB 2 flash drive...works without issue.
  • Tested the drive in my laptop (which doesn't have USB 3 ports) and it worked fine.
  • Tested the drive in the USB ports in the back and it worked just fine.
  • Booted into a live Ubuntu environment with a USB2 flash drive in one of the front IO ports and plugged the drive into it and it told me that the NTFS partition on it may be corrupt...however, I believe this is due to my computer and I mounting and unmounting the drive constantly. I have it plugged into my Windows 7 laptop and repairing those issues now. I did try plugging it into the back and got the same error, so I'm going to try it again after work and after the laptop is done fixing it.
  • UEFI BIOS recognizes the drive.
If my second attempt at trying the drive in Ubuntu doesn't work, is there anything else I can try before I attempt an RMA of my motherboard? Thanks for the help!

Edit: I can use TeamViewer to access my computer now if there's anything I can try. The external drive is not plugged in at the moment, however.

Edit 2: I have found a solution, but not my preferred one. It works though.

Last edited:
Don't think RMA'ing the board is going to help, sounds like the cables/front panel are the problem if it works on the rear IO ports.

Don't think RMA'ing the board is going to help, sounds like the cables/front panel are the problem if it works on the rear IO ports.

Hmm, well the drive works without issue on my laptop and when I use the rear IO ports. I'm assuming that if the drive didn't work on the rear ports as well then it would be a motherboard issue? And so my next step should be to go bother Corsair again? Haha.

Well thats what hangs in the balance, your laptop does not use the front panel, and on top of that the rear IO have no issues. That leads one to look at the front panel.

Well thats what hangs in the balance, your laptop does not use the front panel, and on top of that the rear IO have no issues. That leads one to look at the front panel.

Okay, I'll see if I can get Corsair to send me another front I/O panel. Thank you Raja!

Hey all!

So pardon the somewhat broad nature of this, but I'm a little out of practice on some of the new motherboard features, and frankly, have never used an ASUS mobo in a build.

I just got a new Z87-Pro and 4670k. :) upon visiting the ASUS site to get the latest drivers, I am overwhelmed. There are a ton of different things there, and honestly, I'm not sure what is required vs optional for this board.

I'm looking to just run the CPU and RAM (1866) around stock speeds. I generally prefer to avoid optional software as I don't like a bunch of extra stuff on the machine.

Can someone provide some guidance on all those downloads? FYI I'll be running Win 8 64-bit.

Additionally, this TPU/EPU thing confuses me. Do I just pick one? Which one lets me just run in normal mode? :)

Very impressed with the new Asus offerings and knowledge on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help! !

1) At this stage I would suggest updating UEFI to 1007, chipset driver, ME, Wi-Fi and audio - only if the ASUS site drivers are newer than the ones on your support disc.

2) For normal use, don't use either TPU or EPU. :)

Okay, I'll see if I can get Corsair to send me another front I/O panel. Thank you Raja!

Just a heads up I have been having issues on a couple systems I built with the front USB ports. Both were Corsair and they replaced them for me for free and it resolved the problem. Good luck!

Just a heads up I have been having issues on a couple systems I built with the front USB ports. Both were Corsair and they replaced them for me for free and it resolved the problem. Good luck!

Hmm, okay, then maybe Corsair did indeed send me another bad I/O panel. D'oh! Thanks for the heads up Copyright! Were you having problems similar to mine?

Last edited:
Hmm, okay, then maybe Corsair did indeed send me another bad I/O panel. D'oh! Thanks for the heads up Copyright! Were you having problems similar to mine?

On boot page, fast boot, set USB support to full utilization
Why on Earth ASUS made disabled the default setting is not fathomable by me.

On boot page, fast boot, set USB support to full utilization
Why on Earth ASUS made disabled the default setting is not fathomable by me.

CG - This is for fast BOOT and how devices are initialized OUTSIDE the OS. Not his front panel USB issue in the OS. It is Full Initial or partial initial. Partial initial picks up almost all keyboards barring a few, for which we tell users to engage full initial. FWIW people like having short POST-BOOT times.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

-Raja

Back