ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by Raja@ASUS, Jun 3, 2013.

1. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

here is some comments from me.

My asus z87-plus has ram compatability issues, stability wise. Does also have a possible broken dimm port(s) but I cannot confirm this due to inconsistent testing results.

I went to a local large pc vendor who told me they returned 196 asus/gigabyte z87 boards to asus and gigabyte within the past 3 months and have suspended sales of asus boards due to high fault rates which mainly are related to ram performance but not exclusive to ram performance, they also had issues with gigabyte but were not as bad and were resolved via a bios update so the gigabyte sales are not suspended. I told them about my findings and about corsaig vengeance pro and they said they will do some testing with vengeance pro dimms and ring me back.

Basically right now I am testing 2 8 gig dimms on the 2 black dimm slots, at my expense I decided to go dual dimm instead of using my existing 4x4gig as I think returning my board is too costly in terms of my time, buying new cooler etc. With my 4gig dimms I have the following issues.

all 4 slots used all speeds including underclocked 1066 hci memtest errors.
    3 slots with all 4 dimms (yes I did 12 tests) one at a time no errors. sadly I couldnt test one of the slots on its own as the system wont post.
    the slot that I couldnt test on its when tested with its pair fails hci memtest.
    however that slot works alongside the other pair in a 3 slot combo and has no errors when testing.
    using the other slot of the possibly damaged slot pair in a 3 slot combo causes errors (but same slot tests fine on its own).

There is newer bios updates which 2 have a very vague "improve system stability" - of course such bios updates shouldnt really be happening as it implies boards were shipped unstable and testers on the internet have held back problem reports from the public or been incompetant.

If the asus rep or anyone else comes on and says upgrade your bios dude, the problem is asus stupid policy of blocking bios downgrades is preventing me from upgrading incase I get a regression. The shop told me when they upgraded bios versions on asus z87 boards they did not get an improvement with ram.

It turns out various people on the net have managed to get all 4 slots working with corsair vengenace pro ram, this pro ram in the description states is made for haswell and optimised for haswell, why would ram need optimising for haswell? is there some ram incompatability the industry doesnt want us to know about? The problem is corsair vengeance pro has no low profile models. So I had to buy low profile vengeance 2x8gig for now.

The shop also told me they not seeing the issues with asus special branded boards like republic of gamer boards, the issues are on the z87 branded boards including the z87-deluxe.

With ram issues aside here is a quick review.

The bios is amazing, lots of options. However I would like to see better help descriptions as well as some fail safes added. eg. I disabled my channel A (to test channel B only without removing ram) I then disabled the first dimm on channel B, this made the system not post as that was the same dimm slot that wouldnt post on its own when was only physical dimm installed. I hit the memok button which failed to recover, I assume memok will reset timings but not adjust disabled channels/dimms. I had to do a cmos reset.

The post screen needs to display hit f8 for boot overide, as it does seem f8 does bring a boot overide menu up, I assumed was removed since there was no indication of it. But I accidently found out its still there when I was hitting f8 for windows safe mode.

XMP doesnt fully set timings, I found I had to set some manually (which sadly didnt make my failed tests pass).

New ram is XMP 1.3 tho vs old ram been XMP 1.2 so will see if that helps. (still on SPD).

Adaptive offset is brilliant. A great way to overclock. However asus need to put in all voltage boxes the default as a reference.

A big niggle here and people picked this up on newegg reviews also. What the hell are asus playing at by chipping a bit of the board so it cannot use all 9 standoffs? eg. I may have damaged my board plugging in the psu cable as it bends the board due to it having no support, the cost saving will have been very low, this is just poor product design and decision making from a supposed premium brand, I suspect asus think they only need to worry about their ROG boards as most enthusiasts get those boards and reviewers seem to like ignoring issues like this. This board only uses 6 standoffs, the 3rd row the board doesnt reach.

Also a big thumbs down for the new policy of shipping new boards like used boards to hide RMAs in with new stock.

In addition all cpuid software does not work properly with this board, as a result any asus z87 owners may be getting misleading data.

cpu-z reports the VID not the VCORE in its vcore box.
    hwmonitor misses various fans and has VCORE in its VIN4 box.

I reported to cpuid, and no reply whatsoever, either its deliberate from them or they dont care as the z87-plus isnt a top end board.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Silmatharien

Silmatharien Limp Gawd

I've been having the following issue with my Z87 Pro and i5 4670k processor for quite awhile. Probably move than 50% of the time, when I start my computer up with a cold boot, I will immediately get the Q code 00 which I guess is CPU detect. Fans connected to the motherboard will not start up and nothing displays on my screen. When this happens I can get into Windows by disconnecting the power cable, reconnecting and then trying to start it up again (often it will take trying this four or five times before it will work).

I haven't overclocked yet. My BIOS is updated to 1802. My CPU is rock solid when I actually do get into Windows and I've tested my RAM with memtest86. All power cables are connected to the motherboard. I tried reseating the CPU. My power supply was fine with my last computer so I don't think it will be the issue here. Having my motherboard out of the case makes no difference so I don't think anything is shorting. Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

my 2x8 has passed hci memtest at stock so I expect will be fine when I goto XMP speeds and cpu overclock (as all my previous testing wasnt affected by either).

4. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

I suggest hci memtest (online version) as memtest86+ I have seen many times pass a dodgy setup. As recent as last night it passed my ram on 7 passes overnight, yet when I started hci after I woke up within 10 mins it reported an error.

5. batmanwcm

batmanwcm Gawd

I had this happen before and it ended up being a bad PSU.

6. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

I can confirm 2 things.

new ram is ok using just the 2 first channel dimm slots, passes fine with o/c cpu and XMP speeds.

next XMP still only partially auto applies settings, it sets the primary timings but not the secondary.

7. Milena

Milena Limp Gawd

I got a question about my Z87-WS's onboard sound.

I want to connect both a pair of stereo speakers and my headphones at the same time and it says the Realtek 1150 can remap the input/output jacks to whatever the user wants.

I want to use 2 of the rear outputs for this but there is no such option in the in the driver software and using quadraphonic output is not working either.

I tried to find a solution and several google search results lead to a registry hack where you need to assign the pins to a specific output, duplicating the front output.

Is there any guide for the Realtek 1150 how to do this?

8. Raja@ASUS

Raja@ASUS ASUS Community Support

Never heard of remapping two outputs or tried it, so can't help.

9. error-id10t

error-id10t Limp Gawd

There's so much conflicting information out there..

Raja, could you advise if the up-coming Haswell Refresh (the K series/sku whatever) works on our Z87 boards?

From the BIOS:
    Support New 4th-Generation Intel Core Processors

Hoping you know either way and lay rest to the confusion?

10. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

As I have understood it the haswell refresh processors are still haswells and will work in z87. Devils Canyon will only work in z97. I'm not seeing a lot of conflicting info about this.

11. error-id10t

error-id10t Limp Gawd

If you're not finding conflicting information you're not visiting enough forums. Everyone has a different opinion. Some base it on what you've stated others see it as I believe (hope) is the case. Or rather maybe if you know, why wouldn't they work?

Either way, I'm waiting for Raja to advise either way as nobody beyond Intel and mobo manu would know for 100%.

12. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

You'll see. ;)

But you're right, though. These are opinions of mine.

It helps to go to reliable sources, though.

Mostly I based them on this article from legitreviews which I read when DC was first announced.

In the article, it's clear they didn't yet understand that Devil's Canyon isn't technically part of the Haswell Refresh release. This is now known.

Me: It has a different code name for a reason. It has a slightly different pin layout than Haswell (including the Haswell refresh SKUs, which are still codenamed Haswell). z97 can accomodate both Haswell and DC, but z87 can only accomodate Haswell. Bummer.

Anyway if Intel isn't letting anyone "official" say anything about it yet... why are you asking Raja? lol

13. Sparrow_69

Sparrow_69 Gawd

Anyone know if there are any known incompatabilities between the z87 chipset (namely the Asus Maximus hero motherboard) and the Intel x25-m gen 2 80gb ssd? I seem to remember reading something similar but can't seem to find the specific info atm.. tks!

14. Raja@ASUS

Z87 chipsets onwards have issues with SF1200 (Sandforce 1200 series controllers) based drives which are non-compliant with SATA Spec. The newer chipsets have tighter tolerances so drives need to be within spec to work properly with them.

15. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Raja,

I'd appreciate your insight into an issue I'm having with a clean Windows 7 install on an Asus H87-Plus mobo.

My buddy bought some parts, relying on my advice, and Windows will not install on this new build.

Asus H87-Plus mobo
    Intel i5 cpu
    Nvidia 750 GTX gpu (he's not a gamer)
    Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    Asus DVD drive
    8 gb g-skill 1600mhz ram (2 x4gb)

Windows install (off a disk) hangs with a "could not find driver" message. When I put the mobo driver disk into the dvd drive to find the driver, the shear number of available drivers means I've got to pick one. I've done that many times, in an iterative process, trying to guess at the driver that Windows is looking for.

How do I get Windows to install on this clean build? Or, how can I install the driver that Windows seems to be looking for?

Thanks,
    Ken

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  16. RangerXML

RangerXML [H]ardness Supreme

Is there any way to disable the charge boost, it's a nice feature, but unstable if anything else is plugged into that port.

17. Raja@ASUS

Disable the feature in AI Suite or UEFI - depending upon where you enabled it.

-Raja

18. Raja@ASUS

No idea Ken. Would start wit any drivers Windows does not hav embedded by default. Marvel or USB 3.0 perhaps. Other than that, first time I've had someone ask me, so not sure at all.

-Raja

19. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Raja,

Thanks.

One customer service note: the documentation could be far better. I would love to know where the various drivers are located on the mobo utility disk. I think I'm lacking a sata driver, but windows 7 isn't telling me.

Fresh OS install instructions could be far clearer than what's in the manual.

Thanks,
    Ken

20. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

I always found win 7 DVD installs to be terrible. You can get ISOs of windows 7 with updates included I think that are much easier to install on newer boards. Then put the ISO on a dis or flash drive. I'm also wondering if maybe you need to mess with the boot compatibility mode settings.

21. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Thanks.

I've built 4 W7 computers for myself, using new W7 disks with no issues. It figures that the first time I try to do it for a buddy, it screws up. Over on sevenforums one of the ms helpers (not ms employees), has suggested the same course of action, to download an ISO and put it on a thumb drive.

I wouldn't -think- boot compatibility mode settings would be a player, but if so, in the ASUS H87 PLUS uefi bios, which settings should I tell my buddy to look at and change?

Thanks,

Ken

Update: I used one of my older w7 disks and his install worked flawlessly. He had received a bad disk.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  22. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

Either I'm going nuts, or they've broken the Manual voltage exploit on z87 too somehow. Not working for me anymore after reinstalling my M6H. Now I'm like, crap--what did I put this board back in again for? 2 usb ports? Nah, I swear the z87 boots faster but I'm really confused about the manual mode trick not working anymore, I was able to have my voltage drop (or say it's dropping) even in manual mode while idle until I installed a z97 Hero other day, now I'm back to square zero.

/sigh I got the exploit working again... It looks to me like you also have to have a C-state setting very specifically set. Instead of Auto for C-states, set it to enabled, then change package support to enabled. Sucks... because I am pretty sure this is why it wasn't working on my z97 Hero... so now... in order to be a thorough "exploit" tester I have to go back and reinstall the damn M7H.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  23. Milena

Milena Limp Gawd

Does enabling "ErP Ready" under Advanced\APM cause the USB ports to power off when the system was shutdown?

Z87-WS here and I recently bought an USB DAC/AMP for my headphones that keeps getting powered even when I shutdown the PC.

If the ErP feature does this are there any side effects on other parts of the system I should be aware of?

Thanks

24. RangerXML

RangerXML [H]ardness Supreme

How do you disable the quick charge USB port? Every time I plug stuff into it I lose connectivity for other stuff plugged into other HUBs, really starting to get annoying. I can not find it in the UEFI or the Asus AI suite manager, even when I disabled it in software it was still buggy. I uninstalled the quick charge part if the software, but it didn't fix anything. Its really starting to get annoying to have one less USB port on a motherboard that is already lacking in USB port, even onboard there is only 1x 10-pin connecter and 1x USB SS. I like everything else about the my z87 Sabertooth, except not enough USB ports and because of the quick charge port my HUBs don't seem to work right.

25. Matija

Matija Limp Gawd

OK, so there's BIOS 2005, with "improve system performance".

What does it mean? Likewise for 1802 and "improve system stability".

I'm still on 1602 (and I'm still getting drive spinup on shutdown + occasional BSOD on shutdown). Should I update?

26. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Guys, on your z87 boards, when you boot into the UEFI menu, at the bottom does it say version is 2.10 or 2.4? I'm curious if the 8 series boards shipped with the most updated version of UEFI spec or not.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  27. GeneO

GeneO Limp Gawd

with the 2000 BIOS the Frozen system clock bug is reportedly fixed.

28. Draconian

Draconian Limp Gawd

I recently built a new system with the following:

Gryphon Z87 Motherboard
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 680 SC
    Intel i7-4790k
    Seasonic 860W Platinum PSU

I started out with a Pentium G3220 for about a week on this board and it worked great. Was even able to play a few rounds on BF4 no problem. No issues with start up, flashed to the latest BIOS for the 4790K support and after that everything was still good.

Then I got my 4790K and initial boot was fine, but after every reboot, the system will not post, the fans are all on high speed and the CPU LED is solid red. I have to hold in the power button until the system shuts off and if i power it back on, it boots just fine.

Trouble shooting:
    Tried stock cooler and Corsair H105 no difference in boot behavior
    Loaded optimized defaults, no change.
    Removed GTX 680 No change
    Cleared CMOS and initial boot was fine, but after a restart, issue persists.

Any ideas?

29. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

Try raising the vccin/input voltage. Shot in the dark. Could be something like that.

30. Draconian

Draconian Limp Gawd

i'll try that and report back.
    I also removed the CPU to make sure I didn't muck up any pins and they look good.

31. RedLord

RedLord n00b

Hey,

I've exactly the same problem as Draconian but I've a completely different configuration, except the i7-4790k.

Asus Sabertooth Z87
    Intel i7-4790K
    G.Skill ram
    Be quiet power supply

And I tried the same things to solve the issue and nothing works but I didn't try to increase the voltage.

I'm happy to see that I'm not alone because I made a lot of searchs on google and didn't find anyone else with the same issue.

32. Draconian

Draconian Limp Gawd

I set XMP profile to profile one 1 (Also did in the past) and also loaded the ASUS performance settings from easy mode. I set the over clocking to sync all cores, and iirc I disabled at least 1 over voltage setting but i'd have to take a look again to be sure on what I changed. So far the system hasn't shown any issues but I will need to play with it more tonight to be sure.

Tom's has quite a few forum posts about Asus Z87 boards in particular having the Red CPU LED issue. One common culprit was certain corsair power supplies, or bent pins on the socket.

33. RedLord

RedLord n00b

Our problem with the red CPU_LED is not common I think, because people have generally this problem at the first boot, sometime randomly but when they got it a simple reboot can't fix it.

For us, everything is fine except after a reboot and a simple start/stop fix it. As you, my fans are not slow down what should be happen briefly during a reboot. Another strange thing, when we're is this state the rest button of the tower doesn't work.

I will try to apply your changes to find which one could fix the issue.
    - About the XMP profile, I never use it, I set manually the latency and voltage of my ram because by default it didn't recognize it correctly.
    - About the Asus performance, did you mean the load of defaults settings into the bios? Because I always did it from the easy mode by using F5...F10.

On my side, on the "Ai Tweaker" section of the Bios, I set everything to "automatic", except for the ram. Extreme Overvoltage is "disabled". OC tuner is set to "As is".

One more information, after any change on the bios, when we do the "Save & Reset" we got the CPU_LED problem, except if you change the value of "EPU Power Saving Mode" into the "Ai Tweaker" section. If you switch it, you will have a normal reboot but just once.

34. Draconian

Draconian Limp Gawd

Went to turn on the PC this morning after it had been off all night, and it happened. Shut it off and powered it back on and it booted as expected. and I was wrong about the XMP, i'm not using it either, Ai Tweaker is set to auto as well. But I had tried using the XMP profile before.

In easy mode there are 3 easy set options, one is Normal, the other is power saving, and the third one is performance. But our interfaces are probly a lil different.

35. RedLord

RedLord n00b

Well, my problem is solved.

My first try was to modify some properties from the bios as you suggest Draconian. Unfortunately for me, nothing works. More things I change... worse it was. At the end, I got the red cpu led at the first boot which I never had before (only on restart).

From some days, I exchange some emails with the asus support for fixing my issue. For my second try, I applied their last suggestion and it worked! It was one more bios update...

From the start, I've the last revision of the bios but I installed it in different ways. At start, I updated the bios under DOS using an utility called Bupdater.exe from asus. (Got red cpu led) Later, I updated it using an utility called EZ Flash 2 Utility directly from the bios itself. (Got red cpu led) And last but not least, I updated the bios using the Bios Flashback system. For that, with the computer shutdown, I've to plug an usb driver with the bios and to push on a specific button. (Fixed red cpu led)

I hope that it could help you, good luck.

36. vick1000

vick1000 [H]ard|Gawd

Specific button? What, is it a secret?

37. RedLord

RedLord n00b

38. Draconian

Draconian Limp Gawd

Thanks, i'll give this a try :)

39. dahlberg

dahlberg n00b

I have USB3 disks that won´t show up after power on or restart. Device Manager gives me:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful.

This has been a problem for me with Window 7 and now after fresh install also on 8.1.

Is this the C1 stepping bug? Any suggestions?

40. Matija

Matija Limp Gawd

What happened to software support? Almost every software package for my motherboard (Z87 Pro) is well over a year old. Basically nothing was released in 2014. Just some BIOS updates.