ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

No replication success last time I spoke to HQ - I will forward them the things you are changing in UEFI and ask them to try. Have Corsair managed to shed any light on this from their side?

I haven't heard anything back from corsair, I might check in with them. In the mean time i swapped out the drive for a Samsung 840 Pro and everything is chugging along.

It's possible it might be down to this particular build of the drive as there were 3 hardware variants of the Force GT (22756, 22757, and 22758) each requiring it's own flavour of firmware. It would certainly explain why the engineering team have been unable to replicate with their test drive.

I even plugged that drive into a Z87-Pro machine and had similar boot issues. In one instance it failed to read the boot info, on the second go round it got as far as showing the windows logo and then just hung.

I think you need to focus on Corsair for this one. No other issues reported like this, and the fact your other SSDs work fine, screams firmware problem. Nothing else I can do for you on this one, sorry.

Is it safe to upgrade my z87 Pro Mobo to the latest firmware i.e., 1602. I'm currently on 1405, so just wanted to check with the experts whether to upgrade, as after reading so many issues I'm in doubt.

Thanks.

Intel RST 12.9 is out (and has actually been out for two weeks). Haven't yet tried it, but I will later. I wonder if it'll solve the occasional BSOD-on-shutdown issue. Spinup-on-shutdown is something that will probably get fixed after my drives die :/

Try the latest BIOS update that's out, it doesn't tell us anything worthwhile in the release notes but that's usual. Really wish they'd fix that part.

1707...? Ugh. You know, ten years ago we'd get giant changelogs for BIOS updates... You could easily see exactly what's changed and if you want to flash or not. But now - if you don't know what's new, then it's playing lottery (and it gets even worse, because a BIOS these days has a billion configuration settings and it's not easy to lose all of them).

Raja, do you have any idea about what has *actually* changed?

Also both ROM and the files for RST 13.x are out so you could try updating to those also, see if that solves your problems. 1707 BIOS doesn't use 13.x OROM.

1707 BIOS: "Improves system stability"

That's a bit of a vague statement. It is better than "does nothing to improve stability", and far better than "produces more instability than the previous version".

1707 BIOS: "Improves system stability"

That's a bit of a vague statement. It is better than "does nothing to improve stability", and far better than "produces more instability than the previous version".

"BIOS revision 1708: Causes more instability but gives a much better flow of data through the NSA backdoor. Internet connection required."

Perhaps the vagueness is mandated by law.

lol.

I think part of the problem is that there are so many things, little things, that don't affect users 99% of the time which they fix here and there. Listing those would make no sense again to 99% of people.

Of course they could meet us half-way and say something about the module they fixed instead of going to the very technical limits or saying nothing like they do today.

Gigabyte guys have various forums going for them and some of those guys are really, really smart and nit-pick everything in their BIOS and the problems they see are crazy. I have no doubt it's the same with ASUS too except they're not out in the open as much.

Hi - Recently my computer has stopped working, and won't even POST. My monitor acts as if nothing is turned on (so black screen), but I hear the computer turning on (PATA & CDROM drives spinning up, all case & CPU fans spinning...). I built it in June, and so the computer is ~6 months old. I'm using the ASUS Z87-A motherboard.

I called ASUS support, and they walked me through the checklist of things to check. The call ended with my Crucial Ballistic 2x4 GB memory sticks not on QVC list, and so until I buy qualified memory, they think the problem is the memory.

I personally have tried the sticks in another computer, and the other computer worked perfectly. They're telling me it's not that the sticks are broken, it's that they aren't compatible with the Asus Motherboard, and so I need to buy new RAM.

Now... I do intend to head to BB at some point and pick up some QVC RAM to appease the support desk.. I had a question in the meantime.

Should I be hearing any beeping? My old Asus motherboards all use to beep, and whenever I heard ONE short beep, that was a GOOD thing. Right now, I'm hearing nothing... but I honestly can't remember if I should be. I do see LEDs instead.. and while the "on" LED stays green the whole time just by having power supply plugged in, the CPU then DRAM LEDs flash red for half a second, before turning off. From what I understand, that's normal and expected.. and it's only if the LED stays on that I have a problem.

I'm just trying to see if there's any other diagnostic tool at my easy disposal before I go buy new RAM. I've stripped the computer to the bare essentials by now: MOBO, CPU/HSF, RAM, PSU. I'm testing using onboard graphics to ensure my graphics card isn't the issue either.

Hi - Recently my computer has stopped working, and won't even POST. My monitor acts as if nothing is turned on (so black screen), but I hear the computer turning on (PATA & CDROM drives spinning up, all case & CPU fans spinning...). I built it in June, and so the computer is ~6 months old. I'm using the ASUS Z87-A motherboard.

I called ASUS support, and they walked me through the checklist of things to check. The call ended with my Crucial Ballistic 2x4 GB memory sticks not on QVC list, and so until I buy qualified memory, they think the problem is the memory.

I personally have tried the sticks in another computer, and the other computer worked perfectly. They're telling me it's not that the sticks are broken, it's that they aren't compatible with the Asus Motherboard, and so I need to buy new RAM.

Now... I do intend to head to BB at some point and pick up some QVC RAM to appease the support desk.. I had a question in the meantime.

Should I be hearing any beeping? My old Asus motherboards all use to beep, and whenever I heard ONE short beep, that was a GOOD thing. Right now, I'm hearing nothing... but I honestly can't remember if I should be. I do see LEDs instead.. and while the "on" LED stays green the whole time just by having power supply plugged in, the CPU then DRAM LEDs flash red for half a second, before turning off. From what I understand, that's normal and expected.. and it's only if the LED stays on that I have a problem.

I'm just trying to see if there's any other diagnostic tool at my easy disposal before I go buy new RAM. I've stripped the computer to the bare essentials by now: MOBO, CPU/HSF, RAM, PSU. I'm testing using onboard graphics to ensure my graphics card isn't the issue either.

I think that's BS. If it's the memory, it wouldn't work in the first place when you first built it. I think it's something else. Do you have any other memory (different brand) to at least prove it's not the memory? I use memory that aren't on their QVL all the time and it has never ever given me any problem.

Having read your post a little closer, your symptom sounds just like mine on a P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 like four months ago. The PC would come on with the MEM and CPU LEDs flashing for 1/2 second then it went off. It kept repeating the same cycle. It was the board. They replaced it and it works flawlessly. I have since sold it.

Last edited:
I think that's BS. If it's the memory, it wouldn't work in the first place when you first built it. I think it's something else. Do you have any other memory (different brand) to at least prove it's not the memory? I use memory that aren't on their QVL all the time and it has never ever given me any problem.

Having read your post a little closer, your symptom sounds just like mine on a P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 like four months ago. The PC would come on with the MEM and CPU LEDs flashing for 1/2 second then it went off. It kept repeating the same cycle. It was the board. They replaced it and it works flawlessly. I have since sold it.

I don't think it's the RAM either... and I fought against the idea that it was. But I'm heading over to BB to pick up some QVC approved Corsair Vengeance RAM now just to test it and be 100000% sure. No stone unturned :D

I want to clarify: my MEM & CPU LEDs don't cycle. They only cycle when the guy told me to hit the MEMTEST button. Otherwise, they flash on once.. then nothing. It SOUNDS like the computer is on (in the sense that fans are running), but nothing happens. Monitor's LED is orange - as if it was in standby/sleep. (Green when it's actively displaying something).

Asus Z87 Pro
i5 4670k
Team DDR3 2400 MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) 10-12-12-31 1.65 volts

From reading this forum and others, I know I need to update the BIOS as there is sometimes an issue with the 4670k and the older BIOS versions. My question is, since the computer won't post, how do I do this?

I also saw others recommending a full clear/short of the CMOS and trying 1 stick of RAM at a time in each of the 4 DIMMS until the board posts...then changing timings, frequency, and voltage manually in BIOS. Will this work or should I try less overclocked RAM to get a clean post?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!!

I own Asus Z87-Plus motherboard.

Is there a hotkey that can be pressed during the boot sequence that will bring up a list to pick a device to boot from? All I see is Del and F2 to get in the BIOS, then within a BIOS I can select device under Boot menu. But in my Lenovo desktop I can press F12 (I think, could be another key) and list of bootable device comes up. Same for Dell desktop.

I downloaded the 1707 BIOS...why should I need to rename it? How do I determine what to name it?

Thanks

As you can't get to your computer or it's BIOS, you need to do the USB flashback. For that to work, you need it to recognise the file name.

For Z87 Pro you need the file to be named: Z87P.CAP

Read the manual for the process, once it's close to completion the LED blinks faster and once it stops, all done. Start your computer and see if it helped.

As you can't get to your computer or it's BIOS, you need to do the USB flashback. For that to work, you need it to recognise the file name.

For Z87 Pro you need the file to be named: Z87P.CAP

Read the manual for the process, once it's close to completion the LED blinks faster and once it stops, all done. Start your computer and see if it helped.

This is REALLY helpful...thanks!! I'll report back on my progress later in the week.

Got it up and running...RAM is fine at 2400 MHz..PSU was bad. I am on BIOS 1405...it is stable. Is there a big difference with BIOS 1707? Any risk of an issue by updating BIOS? Should I update all drivers from ASUS website?

Thanks!!

Use the latest drivers. Update UEFI if you need to only.

Note to all: Am currently travelling and won't be "back" til after 10th Jan. Responses may be delayed but I'll get to things as I can.

-Raja

Ah!! finally, installed Windows 8.1 Pro in UEFI Mode with the BIOS upgraded to 1707.

Till now everything looks fine and much responsive and faster. The significant difference I found was in the SATA performance increase to my NAS. Previously on 1405 with Win 8 Pro I was getting a transfer rate of 20-30MB/s from PC->NAS and now after the upgrade I get around 50-65MB/s, now thats great.

I hope that everything works fine without any issues.

Updated to the newest BIOS for the Impact and still HWMonitor shows the wrong values when i'm using offset mode. This is in Win 8.1

Ahh.. new BIOS revision and ACPI driver up for M6 HERO.
I hope this fixes the issues I've been having with away mode. (and dipawaymode.exe errors in log)
Going to do a fresh install of win 8.1 to test this. I have a new driver install CD with all the most recent versions of everything already on it, except for that ACPI driver.
Here we go USB BIOS Flashback! <Wayne's World flashback hands>

Updated to the newest BIOS for the Impact and still HWMonitor shows the wrong values when i'm using offset mode. This is in Win 8.1
Do you have any other programs (like Asus Ai suite) installed that monitor temperatures and voltages? Try only having one if so. I have the same issue always but it seems to be a problem on the software devs' end.

Ahh.. new BIOS revision and ACPI driver up for M6 HERO.
I hope this fixes the issues I've been having with away mode. (and dipawaymode.exe errors in log)
Going to do a fresh install of win 8.1 to test this. I have a new driver install CD with all the most recent versions of everything already on it, except for that ACPI driver.
Here we go USB BIOS Flashback! <Wayne's World flashback hands>

Do you have any other programs (like Asus Ai suite) installed that monitor temperatures and voltages? Try only having one if so. I have the same issue always but it seems to be a problem on the software devs' end.
Nope, no other software. I realize that it is doubling what it should be.

New BIOS seems to address the issue with having ASMedia SATA controller turned off and windows 8.1

But I'm having a ton of trouble getting win 8.1 to go to sleep if dual intelligent processors is installed... Dipawaymode is really buggy.

Last edited:
How can I improve the UEFI boot speed with the Gryphon?

Thses are my current boot settings:

Option ROM Messages: Keep Current
HW Fast Boot: Disabled
Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Devices Control: UEFI Only
Boot From Network: UEFI First
Boot From Storage Devices: UEFI First
Boot From PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices: UEFI First
Secure Boot: Other OS

There are three drives in the machine, all SSDs.

It spends the most amount of time on the GPU and SATA LEDs during POST.

There should be some aux. ASMedia SATA controllers you can shut off. That may help.

I've posted this on two other forums with no luck but does anyone have any suggestions about what to set the Gen3 Compatibility Mode option to (right under NB PCIe Configuration - PEG-ASPM), I'm using a Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87 mobo.

It's not mentioned in the manual and from what I can see this option just became available after I updated the BIOS to 1302. The only options are Mode 1 or Mode 2.

New BIOS seems to address the issue with having ASMedia SATA controller turned off and windows 8.1

But I'm having a ton of trouble getting win 8.1 to go to sleep if dual intelligent processors is installed... Dipawaymode is really buggy.

K, I stand by the statement about the ASMedia SATA controller. There is no longer a need to install drivers for it on windows 8+ before disabling it after this most recent BIOS.

Also, it looks like I have finally tracked down what was causing problems for Sleep/Away Mode and the errors from dipawaymode.exe that gets installed with AISuiteIII:
Nvidia drivers default to multiple display performance mode in Nvidia Control Panel for some reason... and if you only have one display this is not the appropriate setting. Switching the Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration mode to single display performance allows Sleep and Away Mode to function properly. That particular issue has been confusing me on fresh win 8.1 installs for about as long as I've had the OS available to me.

I've posted this on two other forums with no luck but does anyone have any suggestions about what to set the Gen3 Compatibility Mode option to (right under NB PCIe Configuration - PEG-ASPM), I'm using a Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87 mobo.

It's not mentioned in the manual and from what I can see this option just became available after I updated the BIOS to 1302. The only options are Mode 1 or Mode 2.

Leave at default if all is working well. By default it will run Gen 3 anyway. Any toggles for these settings are for setups with issues on the default settings only.

Leave at default if all is working well. By default it will run Gen 3 anyway. Any toggles for these settings are for setups with issues on the default settings only.

Thanks for the response and the help.

Two other BIOS options I've seen mixed answers on -

The PCIE_X16/X8_1 Link Speed, should that be set to Gen3 or Auto?

PCIe Speed option, is it best to leave that on Auto or should I use Gen1 or 2?

K, I stand by the statement about the ASMedia SATA controller. There is no longer a need to install drivers for it on windows 8+ before disabling it after this most recent BIOS.

Also, it looks like I have finally tracked down what was causing problems for Sleep/Away Mode and the errors from dipawaymode.exe that gets installed with AISuiteIII:
Nvidia drivers default to multiple display performance mode in Nvidia Control Panel for some reason... and if you only have one display this is not the appropriate setting. Switching the Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration mode to single display performance allows Sleep and Away Mode to function properly. That particular issue has been confusing me on fresh win 8.1 installs for about as long as I've had the OS available to me

Could you expand on the part I've bolded? I have a new build that used to sleep (W7/64), now it doesn't. I had been using multiple displays (GTX670), now I'm back to one. It no longer sleeps. I haven't had time to dig deeply into it.

Thanks.

Could you expand on the part I've bolded? I have a new build that used to sleep (W7/64), now it doesn't. I had been using multiple displays (GTX670), now I'm back to one. It no longer sleeps. I haven't had time to dig deeply into it.

Thanks.

I never really had many problems with sleep in W7 but in W8 it is extremely problematic. I'm not 100% sure that's what solved my issue, but it's something easy to check. In Nvidia Control Panel >>> Manage 3D Settings >>> Multi-display/GPU acceleration should be set to single display if you only have 1 monitor. It doesn't have anything to do with SLi so idk why they put GPU in the description.

If you are using AI Suite III it may help to simply run 4-way optimization and uncheck everything but EPU-then check your EPU settings and control your Sleep setting from there. Another thing that is tricky, at least for Win 8, is being connected to other devices through LAN, some just don't want to let go of your machine.

Thanks for the response and the help.

Two other BIOS options I've seen mixed answers on -

The PCIE_X16/X8_1 Link Speed, should that be set to Gen3 or Auto?

PCIe Speed option, is it best to leave that on Auto or should I use Gen1 or 2?

Leave all these on Auto.

BIOS 1707:

I downloaded the compressed file from the Asus site for my Z87-Pro mobo, then extracted the cap file. I planned on installing this bios to replace the 1605 (?).

I rebooted, hit "Del", entered the UEFI. I selected "advanced" and went to the tools. In the bios update selection window, I went to the 1707 cap file, selected it, but then got a warning: The BIOS selected is NOT a UEFI.

So...If I load the 1707 bios I'll lose the UEFI?

Ken

Might as well ask.. I always use BIOS backflash method, even with new BIOS as it the safest (computer off etc). However, are there any negatives with doing it this way (such as possibly not updating ME if there's an update or something else)?

Might as well ask.. I always use BIOS backflash method, even with new BIOS as it the safest (computer off etc). However, are there any negatives with doing it this way (such as possibly not updating ME if there's an update or something else)?

No it's fine updating this way. Any updates that require power on state will be made when the board POSTs - either the board will pause on a POST code for a while (1-2 mins), or it will display a message stating it is updating controllers etc. Just leave it be and let it complete the process.

Back