ASUS Z77 Sabertooth CPU socket pin broke off completely...

• Thread starter Deleted member 273615
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 273615

Is there a DIY method for fixing completely broken pins? I only have one like that... It happened after it was bent and unbent almost 2,years ago but today it just broke the hell off...

I've done some micro soldering and one of my close relatives has equipment to make jewelry, something he does as a hobby. Is there a way to use jewelry-making equipment to fix this problem? Could I use a very thin copper wire to insert it into the pin socket where the broken pin leftover resides? I would use several short words for the very bottom part to guarantee mothervoard contact and then use a slightly longer one for CPU contact.

PC will not boot without that pin... I would prefer DIY over RMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with attempting repair is that you'll probably void the warranty (if it even covers broken socket pins?) if you're unsuccessful. :(

It probably doesn't... I also used custom BIOS which may have voided warranty, but maybe not because many OROM updates can be flashed manually, which does not void warranty...

I would think the BIOS wouldn't matter, especially since it isn't the problem. Maybe a different answer if you were having firmware issues with an unsupported BIOS, but...

Have you contacted them to see if they would replace it?

Hello

Broken CPU socket pins are not covered by the motherboard's warranty. Depending on the function the broken pin provides a wire small enough to fit alongside the broken piece may not carry the necessary current.

It didn't work but I hope I have not ruined the CPU now...

Why don't they cover bent pins though? Some boards arrive with broken ones! How do you prevent broken pins? I never push hard on the CPU with HSD units...

If I remember right the socket replacement cost directly via ASUS is $120. Not worth the effort IMO.

As far as receiving a mobo with bent pins, that's why you don't purchase from NewEgg if you are worried about receiving a mobo with bent pins ;) Purchase from Amazon and they will take it back if you get one with bent pins.

Bah! The replacement came and it also had a broken pin! Are you saying NewEgg will not take it back? WTF? THEY BETTER! I did nothing wrong, just opened the CPU socket properly, not removing the plastic cap until the notch is un-done, etc. I will just tell them RAM channel A is not working, which is true.

Lol ya but ram channel a is probably not working because of the broken pin. Y would u put it together if it had a bent pin when you opened it. We're you on crack at the time ?

Bah! The replacement came and it also had a broken pin! Are you saying NewEgg will not take it back? WTF? THEY BETTER! I did nothing wrong, just opened the CPU socket properly, not removing the plastic cap until the notch is un-done, etc. I will just tell them RAM channel A is not working, which is true.

They list it under Customer Induced Damage, similar to manufacturers of the boards not replacing bent pins under warranty. NewEgg is notorious for refusing board returns due to bent pins, and don't expect the Better Business Bureau to be any help either.

I've helped too many people with bent pin issues, and NewEgg is simply the worst UNLESS you call in and happen to be lucky and get a sympathetic customer service rep that pushes it through for you.

Most recent happening, a friend picked up an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with bent pins, no prob, call NewEgg and ask for an RMA due to bent pins and being unable to use the board. They accepted the board for RMA, then a week later he got his board back with the message "Customer Induced Damage". When he called in they told him there was nothing they could do unless he wanted to purchase a new mobo. I told him to call in the next day to get someone different and have the issue not present. He called in, asked if they could cross-chip, to which they agreed, he got his new board in that had NO broken pins and worked GREAT, and the board they got from him, they sent back.... Again, for Customer Induced Damage. They told him they would be double-charging the card associated with his NewEgg account, but in short he contacted the BBB and they were useless, he ended up reporting the incident to his bank and had the extra charge removed. His NewEgg account wasn't suspended or anything, but that was a lot of hassle and bs he had to jump through due to a simple manufacturer error.

Back