ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

I am having the exact same problem! How did you resolve this issue?

The Sabertooth does not feature the hardware to do auto-tuning. It's not part of the product brief for the Sabertooth series - the focus of this product line is stability and longevity. While automated routines are good, they can't tune a system precisely or as well as a user who dials the voltages and timings down to the lowest possible value.

Maximus v formula vs p8z77-v deluxe....

Trying to decide between those two boards. Wont be running 3 video cards, maybe sli. But highly unlikelly.

I can get the deluxe for 230 brand new. Compared to 290 for formula. Hard to justify price difference.

Will be running i7 3770k with it.

formula has better audio-chip and better components
being part of the rog-family it's a complete different board then the p8-series

never mind bought entirelly differnet board, a gigabyte.... still there is option for return, but i think i made a right choice for price

Maximus v formula vs p8z77-v deluxe....

Trying to decide between those two boards. Wont be running 3 video cards, maybe sli. But highly unlikelly.

I can get the deluxe for 230 brand new. Compared to 290 for formula. Hard to justify price difference.

Will be running i7 3770k with it.

Take P8Z77-V or P8Z77-V Pro. More then enough!

Hey there,
I have a P8Z77-V and a 3570k and I have been trying to get the integrated graphics to work in addition to my 670 so I can power more displays. I have been to Intel's website to get drivers but I get an error message when I try to install them telling me I lack the correct hardware. I get a similar message when I go to my motherboard's page on the ASUS site and try to get the drivers there.

What drivers/ software do I need to get both to work at the same time?

the drivers wont install unless the bios under graphics config is set to Auto (or IGFX) and a monitor is plugged into mobo DVI port and vidcard cable unplugged. Thats why it says incorrect (no) hardware.
Monitors are setup in Win 7 display

I have to say, this motherboard (P8Z77-V) is one of the worst I've had the mispleasure of using. Now not only is my X-Fi card not working (and possibly dead?) But the onboard sound also refuses to work. It is listed as "not plugged in" in Windows...although when I use the Realtek software and change the front port from HD to AC97, it suddenly reads as plugged in and selectable, but there is no sound still. Keep in mind, I don't even have the front panel audio plugged in.

Not only that, but I fear even attempting to OC on this board, last time I did I had to flash just to get it to boot again. This board is an utter piece of crap, gotta say. I'm saving up and buying an MSI Z77 MPOWER as soon as I can to replace this, then just RMA this and sell my replacement. ASUS lost me with this board.

No sound issues can take hours to explain, which I have given up on
So this is the short list

HD and AC '97 are not interchangeable - its either one or the other
So you set HD in bios
You use HD connector from case to mobo (I snip off the AC97 connector)
You use Realtek HD drivers
Realtek also has several options areas where you can mute front or rear when one is playing, or set AC97 or > HD
And you of course have to set stero speakers as default in Win 7 sound, and then set config and properties and vol sliders

You cant run 2 dif basic full sound controllers without eventually getting into trouble.
Win 7 gets confused on which to use
For safety, you disable in dev man one or the other
You also disable any AMD or Nvidia sound controllers in dev man including duplicates for SLI or XFire
And you disable the Intel (not named) Southbridge "HD sound controller"
Until you get your sound working you also disable all other like Bluetooth
XBox
etc.

Both Realtek and Win 7 sound have little sound testing modules that come in handy to see if you got it going.
There are about a dozen volume sliders in Realtek and Windows
You have to max them ALL out including main one in task bar. Ea may also have a tiny speaker icon that if you click it it mutes the sound (red)

Then you must go to control panel/default programs/set associations and associate something like WMP for ea file type like MP4. Or you can right click a media file and set as use WMP or whatever if its there or "open with". Open with and associate are slightly dif - open with is stronger

However, if you have your heart set on hating ASUS, its not for me to intervene

Posted this in the Z77 issues thread then saw this one is more active here's my post:

OK I'm having an issue with my Z77 Sabertooth with the latest drivers that's driving me nuts. No matter what USB port I have the keyboard plugged into (tested 2 different keyboards with and without my KVM switch) I can't change values in boot screens. The BIOS works fine and Windows works fine but I can't, for example, access the RAID menu and I can only occasionally get into the BIOS. What is strange is that the esc key and enter key work but all other keys seem to be ignored. if the system is restarted after a crash and I try to tell it to load windows normally it is ignored or just stops.

I've replaced this motherboard once as I had USB 3.0 issues with the driver always crashing the system but the replacement worked fine until about a week ago. I'm using the latest BIOS which may be the culprit, but if anyone has encountered this issue I would like to hear about it.

Probably worth listing the make and model of the mouse, keyboard and KVM used.

It is a known issue, BIOS patch is incoming. For now roll-back to an earlier BIOS.

-Raja

Last edited:
are there any new P8Z77-V Deluxe bios in making right now?

after upgrading from EVGA X58 to Deluxe, when PC shuts down there is a loud POP/shutter sound comming from the speakers. this never happened on the EVGA.

That's DC pop. Not really something you can fix from BIOS. Only workaround is to turn off the amp before you shutdown Windows...

why my EVGA X58 didn't do that?

At a guess, depends on the audio IC used, and probably the order of driver release when Windows shuts down, and lastly the order of power rail lifting at shutdown - that comes down to rail power distribution choices to attached hardware. Last I checked EVGA were not using any relays to decouple the outputs at switch on or switch off, so it has to be one of the former. I suppose you can ask them to provide a more comprehensive answer if that's not enough...

-Raja

LOL, u've just put Asus in the corner. Asus these days are not as it was previously. Cheap elements, sad support and lots of bugs in their BIOSes

Not sure what corner that is, as the response is honest and above.

Raja, LOL! I've asked ur help twice already when I rly needed help and all ur suggestions were to reset to defaults and nothing more!

1) And still my G510 and G9x do not work in some bootable applications

since P67 chipsets and even now on Z77

2) lots and lots of people working at PC shops whom I've asked about PCI-E stucking @x1 told. They've answered: "LOL u have Asus or Gigabyte board? That's no wonder!"

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=522

and don't need to tell me a fairy tales like old article and so on. The problem that Asus boards have and it's confirmed. You haven't probably faced it personally but heard a lot

3) You said that I killed ME and needed to change BIOS chipset when I could re-program all blocks and problem fixed as some guys did here and fixed their problem too

Not to abuse u of course you man, but you are just a eye drop in ocean which is called Asus, but believe me ur Asus as ur personal support is not far away from Logitech, Creative, BigFootNetworks. And yeah believe me - you are far far away from EVGA's, AverMedia and so on companies concerning support. I can go on and on just do not wanna continue ... facts

Hope these words will make Asus next products better ...

P.S. Commerciality kills trust!

Last edited:
Actually the responses I gave you were well laid out and is basic debugging that one has to perform. You chose not to try them, because you have it in your head or a belief structure that things work a certain way.

Recall the time you updated to a new driver which crashed BF3 and then sent emails out to everyone asking what was wrong? The simple debug was to roll back the driver to work out if it was the driver, rather than do that you wanted someone else to setup a test rig and do it for you. Your response to that was "I just send out emails to the companies and ask them to fix it". That's the problem with trying to help you, you won't do what anyone asks. So there's little people like me can do to help you.

In later cases you have updated to a new BIOS which gives you a BSOD. I ask you if you are overclocked and you say yes. So my first debug is to get you back to stock. Why? Because Intel may have changed PCU parameters, so if you are applying an OC from a previous UEFI build the voltages may need changing. But that's not what you want to hear or try. So what can anyone do to help you when you are opposed to basic debugging?

Then you post here that I implying I gave you poor support...

And that is an old article, things have changed significantly since its introduction, the voltage rails are segregated to VCCIO and VCCSA. You wanted me to ask the BIOS guys to "unlock" VMCH - I told you that the way these rails interact has now changed, but you choose to ignore it. If you don't want to believe what I tell you, that is up to you. There is nothing I can do to help you at this point, I tried but it was not what you wanted to hear.

As for number 3, there was no official tool available at the time from ASUS. Reprogramming using some of the other methods is risky and may not work, so I don't endorse them as it leads to further issues. Reprogramming the ME should be done at low level with light load on the system, that's why there are tools to do it and methods of employing those tools. If you had followed my advice you would have got another BIOS chip sent out, so it hardly would have prevented you from rescuing your system. Might have taken a bit longer, but I have procedures to which I have to adhere. You want to use other methods that is up to you. Anything that we have not tested in house to work 100% I won't endorse and that's not a canned response, there are reasons just like the ones I pointed out above. Some of the protocols are in place for good reason. If I start to endorse everything on forums, I could end up with more RMAs than having to deal with a few. You are not the one offering a warranty with your methods, the warranty is left to ASUS, and we are not about to endorse every method someone posts on a forum.

Behaving the way you do will get you ignored by most people on forums and even some support staff. It's not the way to go about getting help. I don't have the time to go through these things with you at every turn and then take insults from you - I'd rather spend my time with people that want help and can listen to advice without clinging to mis-beliefs. So if you do get issues from here on in, please contact ASUS support directly.

-Raja

Last edited:
Is there a page that lists all Asus Z77 boards and their specific features? Looking for a new board for a 3570K, I intend to overclock on air but have no idea what boards are good and not-so-good, Asus has too many with unclear differences.

Most will OC the same. The only real differences are form factor, slots and ports.

OK. Is there a page explaining what M, V, MX, LE, Deluxe, Pro, etc mean?

So you expect customers to play "Find the X differences"? I think most customers don't like that game.
Don't you think it'd be nicer if Asus provided this kind of info such that customers have an easier time making a better decision?

It probably would be nicer, but there is no such option at present and I'm not the one that makes the call of how to present the info. Why don't you tell me your price range and work from there?

Behaving the way you do will get you ignored by most people on forums and even some support staff. It's not the way to go about getting help. I don't have the time to go through these things with you at every turn and then take insults from you - I'd rather spend my time with people that want help and can listen to advice without clinging to mis-beliefs. So if you do get issues from here on in, please contact ASUS support directly.

-Raja

Don't worry about that guy Raja, he is an idiot.

You provide great support and presence and most people appreciate that.

So you expect customers to play "Find the X differences"? I think most customers don't like that game.
Don't you think it'd be nicer if Asus provided this kind of info such that customers have an easier time making a better decision?

Customer have been doing that for years, so yes it is expected. I have yet to see a MFR have a nice pretty layout with charts and graphs like you are expecting.

this page lists the main highlights of each motherboard, you can further narrow down your selection from here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Intel_Z77

I was upgrading my Mom's computer, an ASUS P5Q-E with a new bios, and got a message "Bad boot block header" or similar, what does that infer?

It means the flash failed to complete succesfully, possibly due to system instability.

It didn't flash anything, the message was immediate after selecting the bios update file and attempting to flash. The EZ Flash utility reject the file before commencing the flash operation. What system instability could cause this to happen Raja?

It means the flash failed to complete succesfully, possibly due to system instability.

Actually the responses I gave you were well laid out and is basic debugging that one has to perform. You chose not to try them, because you have it in your head or a belief structure that things work a certain way.

Recall the time you updated to a new driver which crashed BF3 and then sent emails out to everyone asking what was wrong? The simple debug was to roll back the driver to work out if it was the driver, rather than do that you wanted someone else to setup a test rig and do it for you. Your response to that was "I just send out emails to the companies and ask them to fix it". That's the problem with trying to help you, you won't do what anyone asks. So there's little people like me can do to help you.

In later cases you have updated to a new BIOS which gives you a BSOD. I ask you if you are overclocked and you say yes. So my first debug is to get you back to stock. Why? Because Intel may have changed PCU parameters, so if you are applying an OC from a previous UEFI build the voltages may need changing. But that's not what you want to hear or try. So what can anyone do to help you when you are opposed to basic debugging?

Then you post here that I implying I gave you poor support...

And that is an old article, things have changed significantly since its introduction, the voltage rails are segregated to VCCIO and VCCSA. You wanted me to ask the BIOS guys to "unlock" VMCH - I told you that the way these rails interact has now changed, but you choose to ignore it. If you don't want to believe what I tell you, that is up to you. There is nothing I can do to help you at this point, I tried but it was not what you wanted to hear.

As for number 3, there was no official tool available at the time from ASUS. Reprogramming using some of the other methods is risky and may not work, so I don't endorse them as it leads to further issues. Reprogramming the ME should be done at low level with light load on the system, that's why there are tools to do it and methods of employing those tools. If you had followed my advice you would have got another BIOS chip sent out, so it hardly would have prevented you from rescuing your system. Might have taken a bit longer, but I have procedures to which I have to adhere. You want to use other methods that is up to you. Anything that we have not tested in house to work 100% I won't endorse and that's not a canned response, there are reasons just like the ones I pointed out above. Some of the protocols are in place for good reason. If I start to endorse everything on forums, I could end up with more RMAs than having to deal with a few. You are not the one offering a warranty with your methods, the warranty is left to ASUS, and we are not about to endorse every method someone posts on a forum.

-Raja

You deserve credit for taking this customer as seriously as they took themselves. I will never get this much attention from you, but then, I don't deserve it. This was just a special case. Thank you Asus support raja for caring!

My computer is not shutting down at random times (once every 5 days or so), and just did it as I was sitting here watching a stream. This, on top of the audio that refuses to work, the likelihood the board has killed my X-Fi, my complete inability to OC and a handful of ther problems, its pretty obvious I have a bad board. This is pretty shitty, seeing as I've seen nothing but horror stories from Asus RMA, and hear people talking about what a joke it is. Looks like I have no choice but to pony up the money for another board, and hope the MSI Big Bang has a better success rate.

Hi Raja,

I recently replaced my P8Z68 mobo with a P8Z77 because two of the PCie slots in the old board stopped working. I did not do a new windows installation but updated the chipset and other component drivers on my current Win7 installation. I am running the 1015 bios and running everything (CPU and GPU) at stock settings with no overclock. I have two issues:

The first is I cannot get the WiFi Go software to work. When I try to use the WiFi Go software on my Galaxy Nexus phone, it is unable to find my PC. I have tried updating to the current version of the WiFi Go software and Wifi drivers. I also downgraded to older versions of the WiFi Go software and Wifi device drivers with no success. I should mention that I can use the Wifi module to connects successfully to my wireless router.

The second issue is my PC restarts right after shutdown. When I shutdown my PC, it turns off completely and then reboots after a few seconds. Your assistance will be much appreciated.

It didn't flash anything, the message was immediate after selecting the bios update file and attempting to flash. The EZ Flash utility reject the file before commencing the flash operation. What system instability could cause this to happen Raja?

Are you using a FAT32 formatted flash drive or is it an NTFS?

Back