ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

A question for ASUS Z77 motherboard users (especially for Maximus V Formula/Extreme users).

From what I've seen recently with AsRock motherboard (Z77 Fatal1ty and Extreme 9), these boards have what it's called "Additional Turbo Voltage".

"Additional Turbo Voltage" is just like the Offset but works ONLY when the CPU is not in idle state. The Offset mode works ALL the time, even at idle. This setting will allow you to keep a low Offset, and low idle voltage, while still getting the Vcore boost needed for full speed.

I've found it extremely useful. My colleague overclocks his 3770K to 4.5 GHz with the lowest offset and a few bumps in "Additional Turbo Voltage" with all the power management option enabled (C1E, C3/C6).

Does ASUS Z77 motherboard have such features ?
From my googling, it seems ASUS Z77 boards only provide two options (Fixed and Offset) without Additional Turbo Voltage feature.

You're googling was correct. Asus boards, as well as Gigabyte (I think), don't have such option. There is only fixed or offset mode.

Does ASUS Z77 motherboard have such features ?
From my googling, it seems ASUS Z77 boards only provide two options (Fixed and Offset) without Additional Turbo Voltage feature.

The Z68 boards used to have this option, it was removed a firmware version or 2 back for some reason. Not sure if the Z77 ever had it though.

Hey guys, I'm just about to drop the cash for an upgrade, but I'm stuck between getting a ASUS P8Z77-V and a ASUS P8Z77-V Pro. I can't decide, is the 16-phase really much better then the 12-phase? I do plan to overclock (3570k on a Corsair H60), is the difference worth the extra cash?

Looks like you flashed BIOS but for some reason (either unstable system or something else), the flash did not complete and you have corrupted the BIOS.

You will need to RMA the board or get a new BIOS chip. If you are within the US, contact ASUS support and ask for an advanced RMA (you will need to provide credit card security).

Next time you flash the BIOS. Use EZ Flash 2 with a FAT32 format. Make sure the systemn is 100% stable and let the flash complete. If the system needs a dou8ble flash (update of OROM or ME FW), let it complete when the system re-BOOTs.

-Raja

I flashed my P8Z77-V-PRO from 0603 (Initial) to 1504 (latest) with EZ flash and after the reset it did another update in a dos screen with gray percentage bar - I almost pulled it out at this stage.
Is this what you mean by double flash? Does this mean it also updated Option ROM?

Hey all. So I’ve had my Sabertooh Z77 for 2 months and I'm loving it. Definitely one of the sweetest boards out there. However in the last month I’ve experienced 2 similar crashes that just would just lock my computer during games and then after hard rebooting my monitor and all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, mic, etc) would all stay off. Surprisingly 2 or 3 more reboots would fix this. Randomly a coldboot would experience this same behavior of no monitor signal or peripherals on, but overall could always be fixed w/ a certain # of reboots. After the last lock/crash I figured it was time to flash the BIOS. Downloaded the 1504 release and successfully flashed it using EZ flash, but then my SSD’s disappeared from the list. Decided to reset the bios and try again. Resetting the BIOS (using the method on ASUS support page) resulted in the same behavior I’d seen (no monitor signal, no peripherals turning on), except no amount of rebooting will bring the computer back to life...It’s been a weird couple of days.

Did I somehow corrupt my BIOS? If so, anything I can do to avoid doing it next time. It seemed like a pretty straight forward process.

Question: The green USB port on the back. I know that is support to support fast charging for phones, etc. Do I need to install the ASUS software to enable this? Or do it support that naively? P8Z77-V PRO here. Thanks!

I want to update my bios on my new Z77 Pro board while building my rig and it looks like the USB Bios Flashback is the easiest way to do it, but, i find no mention of that program in the user guide. I know there are a few ways of doing it, but what is the easiest and safest way with a new system that does not yet have an OS installed?

FYI to the Asus rep,
To upgrade my Gene V to 1204 I had to remove a FC HBA. The system would not boot to complete the upgade until I removed the HBA.

I want to update my bios on my new Z77 Pro board while building my rig and it looks like the USB Bios Flashback is the easiest way to do it, but, i find no mention of that program in the user guide. I know there are a few ways of doing it, but what is the easiest and safest way with a new system that does not yet have an OS installed?

I've used the USB Bios Flashback on my Gene V.
1. Copy the BIOS file to a USB stick.
2. Make sure it's named correctly. My file had to be named M5G.ROM.
3. Plug the USB stick into the correct USB port. In my case the port was white and right next to the ROG button.
4. With the system off, hold the ROG button until the LED on the motherboard starts to blink. Let go.
5. The BIOS update is complete when the LED stops blinking.

I just flashed my Z77-V Pro to bios 1406.

Now they released 1504. When I go on Asus website 1406 has been removed. Was there something wrong with this bios? Should I reflash with 1504?

I hate flashing bios always makes me a bit nervous.

I just flashed my Z77-V Pro to bios 1406.

Now they released 1504. When I go on Asus website 1406 has been removed. Was there something wrong with this bios? Should I reflash with 1504?

I hate flashing bios always makes me a bit nervous.

I think there 1406 was recalled due to a serious issue so it is probably advisable to flash to 1504. I have done this and no issues so far also non reported by other people that I am aware of.

I have created a WINPE boot disk for my P8Z77-V but when I boot it, I cannot get the USB mouse and USB keyboard which are plugged into the top two usb 3.0 ports on the rear panel to work. When I move the them down to the next two USB ports which are USB 2.0 and reboot they work fine.
I have read that the top two USB connectors are Intel USB and have added the drivers from here:
\Intel(R) USB 3.0 Controller Driver V1.0.4.225\Drivers\Win7\x86
to the WINPE ISO but no luck

Am I not using the right drivers or am I missing something else.

I have also played with the BIOS USB settings but to no avail.

Len

When I first got my board, it had BIOS 1015 on it. I was going through the BIOS and configuring my boot options and one of them was my DVD Writer. Then I flashed the BIOS to 1406 and the option to choose my DVD Writer is not available. Anyone else see that? My drive works fine in Windows/Linux.

I have updated it to 1504 and the issue remains.

Burner27,

I upgraded from 0603 to 1406 and just today 1504. My DVD writer is still available in the boot menu. Is it gone from both the UEFI and the F8 boot menu?

Have you tried unplugging it rebooting then reconnect it. Maybe the bios will redetect it.

I hope you get it worked out.

I think there 1406 was recalled due to a serious issue so it is probably advisable to flash to 1504. I have done this and no issues so far also non reported by other people that I am aware of.

Do you have any idea what this issue might have been? I cant find anyone saying anything other than the boot process is to fast for them to get in bios. This did not affect me.

Against my better judgement I upgraded to 1504:). I'm still curious though.

When I first got my board, it had BIOS 1015 on it. I was going through the BIOS and configuring my boot options and one of them was my DVD Writer. Then I flashed the BIOS to 1406 and the option to choose my DVD Writer is not available. Anyone else see that? My drive works fine in Windows/Linux.

I have updated it to 1504 and the issue remains.

You are not alone.

BIOS 1406 & 1504 have a problem where it makes my Pioneer DVD drive not appear in the Boot Priority selection either. The DVD drive does however show up at in the SATA Configuration section in both BIOS's.
I have all SATA ports being used. 6x hard drives, 1x DVD drive, 1 Blu Ray drive.
(The DVD & Blu Ray drives are connected to SATA3G_3 & 4).
If I remove the 2 hard drives connected to SATA3G_5 & 6, the DVD re-appears in the
BIOS Boot Priority.
Also...
If I reconnect those 2 hard drives to SATA3G_3 & 4 and move both DVD & Blu Ray Drives to SATA3G_5 & 6, the DVD re-appears in the BIOS Boot Priority.
Please note, reverting back to any previous BIOS version also fixes the issue.

Do you have any idea what this issue might have been? I cant find anyone saying anything other than the boot process is to fast for them to get in bios. This did not affect me.

BOOT time sensing of drives I believe. I think there was issues when several drives or BOOTable devices were used in tandem. So don't worry about being on 1504 it should fix up some of the 14** issues. If you still have problems flash back to an earlier build until it is patched.

After installing my DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Express (PCI-e x 1) TV tuner card,
the system locks up at boot. The on board VGA-LED stays lit solid. Therefore my LCD monitor stays in standby mode, plus there's no lights lit on either my Logitech G15 keyboard or Logitech G9x mouse.
This motherboard came with BIOS 0703. I have tried all firmwares up to 1504. The
same problem exists. With my video card in place, I have tried all other PCIe slots with
the TV tuner card.. Same issue.
I had the same issue on another P8Z77-V Pro. But that motherboard I had replaced
due to a fault with no sound from the onboard audio chipset.
This TV tuner card works perfectly with my (Asus P8Z67-V Pro) as well as my (Asus
P5Q Pro). But I need it to work with my P8Z77-V Pro.

I've exhausted just about every option I can think of.
I contacted Asus Support. They suggested I contact my reseller for further checking.

Burner27,

I upgraded from 0603 to 1406 and just today 1504. My DVD writer is still available in the boot menu. Is it gone from both the UEFI and the F8 boot menu?

Have you tried unplugging it rebooting then reconnect it. Maybe the bios will redetect it.

I hope you get it worked out.

It's gone from both UEFI and F8. Unplugging drive and reconnecting the drive did not help. I think I should go back ro basics and clear the CMOS. Although I thought the bios flash process would clear the cmos?

I doubt it was because of the fast boot - I had no issues with this either.
But unfortunately I do not know.

It's gone from both UEFI and F8. Unplugging drive and reconnecting the drive did not help. I think I should go back ro basics and clear the CMOS. Although I thought the bios flash process would clear the cmos?

Does it show in the Sata Configuration & just not the Boot Selection ?
I have the default set here. Sata Mode Selection set as AHCI with all drive Hot Plug disabled & it show up in the list, just not the boot selection list.
Did you try another Sata port ?
My workaround got it to show in the boot selection list. (See 5 posts back).

The Asmedia USB3.0 ports don't play nicely with my Plantronics Gamecom headset.
While connected, the headset appears & disappears repetitively (& almost rythmically) in Windows. Selecting the recording properties on the headset seems the most problematic, making it disappear instantly, before reappearing again. Vicious cycle.

All Intel USB3.0 ports work fine, as well as all USB2.0 ports. It's only the Asmedia USB3.0 ports that are troublesome.
Anyone else have similar issues ?

You are not alone.

BIOS 1406 & 1504 have a problem where it makes my Pioneer DVD drive not appear in the Boot Priority selection either. The DVD drive does however show up at in the SATA Configuration section in both BIOS's.
I have all SATA ports being used. 6x hard drives, 1x DVD drive, 1 Blu Ray drive.
(The DVD & Blu Ray drives are connected to SATA3G_3 & 4).
If I remove the 2 hard drives connected to SATA3G_5 & 6, the DVD re-appears in the
BIOS Boot Priority.
Also...
If I reconnect those 2 hard drives to SATA3G_3 & 4 and move both DVD & Blu Ray Drives to SATA3G_5 & 6, the DVD re-appears in the BIOS Boot Priority.
Please note, reverting back to any previous BIOS version also fixes the issue.

Yes, mine shows up in the configuration section as well. My DVD Writer is set to hot plug disabled and all my other drives are set to Hot plug. I am in RAID mode and it still doesn't show as a boot device.

I was told by an Asus rep on their forum page for the P8Z77-v Pro board to flash to a pre-1406 bios. Mine originally came with 1015 installed. Any suggestions of how to go back to that BIOS safely? Is it just like any other BIOS flash? (Just specifying the file - It shouldn't complain that I am going to an earlier BIOS rev is what I am getting at)

Yes, mine shows up in the configuration section as well. My DVD Writer is set to hot plug disabled and all my other drives are set to Hot plug. I am in RAID mode and it still doesn't show as a boot device.

I was told by an Asus rep on their forum page for the P8Z77-v Pro board to flash to a pre-1406 bios. Mine originally came with 1015 installed. Any suggestions of how to go back to that BIOS safely? Is it just like any other BIOS flash? (Just specifying the file - It shouldn't complain that I am going to an earlier BIOS rev is what I am getting at)

It's easy to go back to an earlier BIOS revision. Just use the USB BIOS Flashback solution. I've done this several times without a problem.

How to Flashback to an earlier BIOS revision:
For the P8Z77-V Pro, first rename your BIOS firmware file you want to use to Z77VP.CAP then put that file on a FAT or FAT32 USB drive (NTFS won't work) & plug it in the rear USB3.0 port marked with the green rectangle, then press the onboard Flashback button for 3 seconds. Power supply must be connected.
If your USB stick has an LED, you will see both it & the Flashback LED blink, go out, blink, go out for approximately 20 to 30 seconds then both LED's will go out completely. Once this happens, remove your USB & restart your PC.
Depending which revision you go back to, at boot time you may see a BIOS install progression bar which reboots when 100% installed. Some revisions do this, some don't. Obviously if you see it, let it run. It only takes a few seconds.
Then you can access your BIOS. ;)

Last edited:
The Asmedia USB3.0 ports don't play nicely with my Plantronics Gamecom headset.
While connected, the headset appears & disappears repetitively (& almost rythmically) in Windows. Selecting the recording properties on the headset seems the most problematic, making it disappear instantly, before reappearing again. Vicious cycle.

All Intel USB3.0 ports work fine, as well as all USB2.0 ports. It's only the Asmedia USB3.0 ports that are troublesome.
Anyone else have similar issues ?

I have a simular issue where my external USB 3.0 drive does not want to work on the Asmedia USB 3.0 ports but does work on the Intel USB 3.0 ports...

It's easy to go back to an earlier BIOS revision. Just use the USB BIOS Flashback solution. I've done this several times without a problem.

How to Flashback to an earlier BIOS revision:
For the P8Z77-V Pro, first rename your BIOS firmware file you want to use to Z77VP.CAP then put that file on a FAT or FAT32 USB drive (NTFS won't work) & plug it in the rear USB3.0 port marked with the green rectangle, then press the onboard Flashback button for 3 seconds. Power supply must be connected.
If your USB stick has an LED, you will see both it & the Flashback LED blink, go out, blink, go out for approximately 20 to 30 seconds then both LED's will go out completely. Once this happens, remove your USB & restart your PC.
Depending which revision you go back to, at boot time you may see a BIOS install progression bar which reboots when 100% installed. Some revisions do this, some don't. Obviously if you see it, let it run. It only takes a few seconds.
Then you can access your BIOS. ;)

Computer not powered on but power supply connected, correct? I should see the green power LED lit on the board before I start?

Thank you

I have the same sleep problem people have described here (with P8Z77-V Pro, newest BIOS 1504):

When I put computer to sleep mode either from Win7 start menu (or automatically after
X minutes), the computer will not wake up from sleep.

When I move mouse or press keyboard either:

1. the computer goes on, but screen stays black and nothing happens. I then need to
take power off and on again. then it boots into the same black screen. Then when I
again turn machine on and off, it offers an option to reboot from scratch and then I get
the machine back on.

2. same as 1, but there comes the lock screen of win7 where you need to write your
password, but mouse does not work, keyboard does not work, nothing works and I
have no alternative than to press the power button again down for as long! as power
goes off. Then it will again boot into crashing and I have to repeat power on/off once
more before it offers to boot win7 from scratch and then it works again.

Specs: intel i7 3770K 3.5ghz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, processor is not overclocked, BIOS
settings are almost default, BIOS is updated to 1504.

Internally there are two hard drives, Samsung 830 128GB SSD which is a boot drive
and 1TB WD Caviar Black (both in Intel SATA, not Asmedia), no display adapter except
for i7 HD-4000, only addon card is firewire PCI adapter. I do have some peripherals,
Canoscan 9000F scanner, Samsung CLP-320 color laser printer, Microsoft Lifecam
HD-3000, M-Audio Firewire 1814 audio interface.

I put a 160GB SATA harddrive to my external SATA dock that is also connected to Intel
SATA (not Asmedia), then I installed Win7 again to this harddrive and installed all Asus
drivers to this fresh installation. It does not have the sleep problem so problem seems
to be difficult to trace. When I boot from SSD wi! th exactly same peripherals connected,
sleep hangs machine, when I boot from the harddrive, sleep works.

Some programs that I have installed are: Avast antivirus, Acronis Trueimage, Skype,
Dropbox, Sandboxie, MS Office 2007 SP2, Evernote, Photoshop CS3, Virtual
Clonedrive, Foxit Reader, 7zip, Treesize Free, Google Chrome, VLC Media player.

So you might think that the problem is either caused by the SSD-drive/sleep
combination or some of the installed programs.

Btw it is Win7-64 SP1

Any ideas how to get rid of the problem, or trace the source of it?

I have the same sleep problem people have described here (with P8Z77-V Pro, newest BIOS 1504):

When I put computer to sleep mode either from Win7 start menu (or automatically after
X minutes), the computer will not wake up from sleep.

When I move mouse or press keyboard either:

1. the computer goes on, but screen stays black and nothing happens. I then need to
take power off and on again. then it boots into the same black screen. Then when I
again turn machine on and off, it offers an option to reboot from scratch and then I get
the machine back on.

2. same as 1, but there comes the lock screen of win7 where you need to write your
password, but mouse does not work, keyboard does not work, nothing works and I
have no alternative than to press the power button again down for as long! as power
goes off. Then it will again boot into crashing and I have to repeat power on/off once
more before it offers to boot win7 from scratch and then it works again.

Specs: intel i7 3770K 3.5ghz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, processor is not overclocked, BIOS
settings are almost default, BIOS is updated to 1504.

Internally there are two hard drives, Samsung 830 128GB SSD which is a boot drive
and 1TB WD Caviar Black (both in Intel SATA, not Asmedia), no display adapter except
for i7 HD-4000, only addon card is firewire PCI adapter. I do have some peripherals,
Canoscan 9000F scanner, Samsung CLP-320 color laser printer, Microsoft Lifecam
HD-3000, M-Audio Firewire 1814 audio interface.

I put a 160GB SATA harddrive to my external SATA dock that is also connected to Intel
SATA (not Asmedia), then I installed Win7 again to this harddrive and installed all Asus
drivers to this fresh installation. It does not have the sleep problem so problem seems
to be difficult to trace. When I boot from SSD wi! th exactly same peripherals connected,
sleep hangs machine, when I boot from the harddrive, sleep works.

Some programs that I have installed are: Avast antivirus, Acronis Trueimage, Skype,
Dropbox, Sandboxie, MS Office 2007 SP2, Evernote, Photoshop CS3, Virtual
Clonedrive, Foxit Reader, 7zip, Treesize Free, Google Chrome, VLC Media player.

So you might think that the problem is either caused by the SSD-drive/sleep
combination or some of the installed programs.

Btw it is Win7-64 SP1

Any ideas how to get rid of the problem, or trace the source of it?

I always disable sleep after a fresh install because it has always problematic for me no matter what hardware I have.

using a ASUS P8Z77-V LK the mobo wouldnt recognise my USB mouse/keyboard in the OS install screen.

Spent hours trying all sorts of different things and finally got it to work after an upgrade to the latest bios..
Might be helpful for anyone having similar issues..

using a ASUS P8Z77-V LK the mobo wouldnt recognise my USB mouse/keyboard in the OS install screen.

Spent hours trying all sorts of different things and finally got it to work after an upgrade to the latest bios..
Might be helpful for anyone having similar issues..

USB 3.0 ports or USB 2.0? If keyboard works in UEFI but not during the install, it is usually when people use the USB 3 ports as Windows does not have native drivers.

I now have a replacement P8Z77-V Pro.

With regard to my previously mentioned issue, I have verified on this motherboard that the DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Express (PCI-e x 1) tv tuner card works perfectly up to BIOS revision 1015.
All BIOS revisions after 1015 up to the current 1504 causes the VGA_LED to stay lit & the system won't boot.
I require a later BIOS revision to fix an incompatible with my USB Plantronis Gamecom headset & the Asmedia USB3.0 ports. It simply doesn't see the device in Windows using BIOS 1015.
Also as I've previously posted, Asmedia USB3.0 compatibility is flakey/partly fixed on later BIOS revisions such as 1504, but I have to remove my TV Tuner card.

I've read that I am not the only person having issues with this motherboard & PCIe TV Tuner Cards & BIOS revisions over 1015.

Raja, what are the chances of getting a later BIOS revision that addresses these issues ?

Need some help here.

The Asus P8Z77V-LX mainboard has been giving me random restarts since the day i bought it. After much testing and changing parts like hdd, usb devices and even the graphics card. I think i have narrowed it down to a power issue. Bear in mind that i am using a UPS and a Cooler Master 650W PSU.

Seems that my 12V Rail is not stable. The other voltages like the CPU, 3.3V and 5V are very stable. The 12V rail seems to fluctuate alot. Sometimes as low as 10.5V until i have seen it go red in the BIOS. Does anyone know how much it should fluctuate within the 12V range. I am assuming it should be -5% and +5% at most.

In the beginning i was using a GTX560 card decided to test using a lower card like GT440. System still restarts even with the GT440 and the 12V voltage was still spiking up and down.

So know i have removed the graphics card and am using the on board graphics, the 12V voltage seems stable and no restarts yet. The GTX560 need additional power via power connectors while the GT440 does not require any additional power except what the PCI-E slot is providing.

I don't have any other devices except for a 1TB and DVD Burner. So the 650W should have ample power to spare.

So my question is what is the cause of the problem? The mainboard or power supply or both.

Well, that was slightly depressing. I'm running a 3770K @ 4,2 GHz and thought that I might get some lower temps with a bit of negative CPU Offset Voltage (Offset Mode) at -0,100 V. That made the system crash. :eek:

Does I just have a bad performing chip since 1,1 Volt should be fairly stable: :confused:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

Or should I try with a manual CPU Volt @ 1,1 Volt?

Now this is odd. I just tried to set the CPU Voltage @ 1,1 with the Asus TurboV EPO and so far it works great. Lower temps and a stable system. Then why didn't the offset mode work? :confused:

Voltage drops too much when idling and/or switching from work to idle or vice versa, same thing here with 2500K when using offset.

Default clock@1,02V fixed running just fine.

Back