ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Well I'm fairly confident now that the update for Fan Xpert 2 is what was causing my system to shut down. I removed the update and went back to the original release version that came with the system, and I haven't had it shutdown since. I guess the next version need to be broken again so that it'll play well with AIDA.

Hi bitgod, are you still using AIDA with the older version of Fan Xpert 2?
At the moment I'm only running aida and nothing of Ai suite...

Does asus sell that gpu key separately? You know the one that will come with the Maximus V extreme an if so how much and does it need the motherboard to work or can it be used on any system?

Hi bitgod, are you still using AIDA with the older version of Fan Xpert 2?
At the moment I'm only running aida and nothing of Ai suite...

Yeah, running the latest AIDA and I basically ended up uninstalling AI Suite and then reinstalling the suite that came on the install disc with the Xpert 1.00.13 in it.

I also saw mentioned in an AIDA forum that there's an option in preferences regarding SMB and ASUS mobos, I tried it both ways without it mattering while running the .13 version, so it's currently unchecked, which is the default option.

Yeah, running the latest AIDA and I basically ended up uninstalling AI Suite and then reinstalling the suite that came on the install disc with the Xpert 1.00.13 in it.

I also saw mentioned in an AIDA forum that there's an option in preferences regarding SMB and ASUS mobos, I tried it both ways without it mattering while running the .13 version, so it's currently unchecked, which is the default option.

Thanks for the info! Is the one under "System stability" -> low level SMBus operations?
If yes, I could try with the latest version of Fan Xpert 2 and that option uncheked to see if anything changes. If not, either I'll stay with older version of fan xpert or simply without...luckily my Noctua fans are quiet enough at stock not to need much of controlling.

PS. since I uninstalled the latest Ai Suite, no more shut downs. System works like a charm. That's definitely a shame for Asus, such good hardware, such crappy software!

I have posted a question regarding an external enclosure issue on the Mediasonic Forums,
and thought this would be a good place to ask as others may have found a solution.

I have a media sonic HF2-SU3S2 4 bay external enclosure that doesn't want to cooperate unless its powered on during post and picked up by the mobo's esata asmedia controller.

Thats not really convenient and I would rather power it on and have it show up in windows 7 whenever I want. I have the latest asmedia drivers installed (and reinstalled) and have alternated the xHCI and handoff settings in the bios to no avail. When I power the enclosure on in windows 7 the drive lights are nearly solid and its confused. I have the latest bios revision for the mobo also.

Just to reitterate - Enclosure works find when on during post and win 7 is loaded. But sits there stupidly when turned on during my win 7 session.

Thank you for your attention.

Hi all,

I see some of you have problem when hit "DEL" to enter BIOS, I have problem too, but I discover that you can hit "DEL" in number keyboard (on the right keyboard) to enter BIOS. I hope that Asus will fix this bug in next release BIOS.

Thanks for the info! Is the one under "System stability" -> low level SMBus operations?
If yes, I could try with the latest version of Fan Xpert 2 and that option uncheked to see if anything changes. If not, either I'll stay with older version of fan xpert or simply without...luckily my Noctua fans are quiet enough at stock not to need much of controlling.

PS. since I uninstalled the latest Ai Suite, no more shut downs. System works like a charm. That's definitely a shame for Asus, such good hardware, such crappy software!

Last week I built a new system with a P8Z77-V DELUXE. Upon updating I was also getting random shutdowns at idle, even though I was rock solid stable under stress @ 4.6x GHz.

I'm not connected to the MB CPU fan header as I'm using an H100 with Corsair link. Sure enough, when I uninstalled AI Suite, the random shutdowns went away. So, it seems that if the software is confused by what it's seeing from the CPU fan header, it will shut down the whole system.

ASUS definitely needs to fix this problem. Most people will assume the shutdowns are an indication of an unstable overclock. It's going to give their boards a bad rep.

Hi.
I have a new Asus P8Z7-V-Deluxe MOBO in an entrely new rig and it shows strange behaviours. I will count them here, hopefully someone can help me sort them out.

with the latest BIOS version from Asus website, the BIOS shows that I have 2 Keyboards, 2 Mice, 3 Hubs - The hubs numbers varies.
120701084252.png

That reflects in windows->Device manager as 2 HID compliant mice and 1 HID Keyboard, that is in addition to the 1 mouse and 1 keyboard I actually have.

I have an external USB3.0 seagate HD with it's own power supply. Whenever it is connected to the USB 3 in the back panel, the system will not restart normally. It will get stuck on boot logo screen and the MOBO q-code is "b2".
If I reset the computer it will boot up normally. Then again, if I restart it, it will get stuck.
If I remove the external HD, I have no issues with restarting.
The HD is NOT in the BIOS boot sequence at all, and the Ai Charger is disabled.
Does it have to do with USB 3.0 Legacy support? What does it mean? How can that be fixed?

When the computer is totally off, the external seagate usb3.0 drive continues spinning. As mentioned, the Ai charger is disabled. The HD is connected to the back panel USB 3 port.
With my previous old Gigabyte mobo, it worked without a hitch.

This is a download link for my entire system information:

SYSTEM RIG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i8ofyh02kowkdv/siu_report_1211428.htm

Thanks for the suggestions. The MemTest returned no errors. I set the memory to 1600 and it has lasted over one hour so far which is better than before (fingers crossed). If I have to attempt updating the firmware for the SSD that will essential format it, correct? Can I ghost the SSD so I don't have to reinstall the OS and other programs?

Depends on the SSD, some firmware updates are non-destructive, what SSD are you running?

I have posted a question regarding an external enclosure issue on the Mediasonic Forums,
and thought this would be a good place to ask as others may have found a solution.

I have a media sonic HF2-SU3S2 4 bay external enclosure that doesn't want to cooperate unless its powered on during post and picked up by the mobo's esata asmedia controller.

Thats not really convenient and I would rather power it on and have it show up in windows 7 whenever I want. I have the latest asmedia drivers installed (and reinstalled) and have alternated the xHCI and handoff settings in the bios to no avail. When I power the enclosure on in windows 7 the drive lights are nearly solid and its confused. I have the latest bios revision for the mobo also.

Just to reitterate - Enclosure works find when on during post and win 7 is loaded. But sits there stupidly when turned on during my win 7 session.

Thank you for your attention.

I've had this exact same problem but with the Mediasonic HUR1-SU3S2 (2-bay eSATA/USB3 with two drives in it). I've posted earlier in this thread and had some back and forth with Raja from Asus, and I also posted at Mediasonic without resolution:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038726373#post1038726373
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038734749#post1038734749
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038743223#post1038743223
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038763473#post1038763473
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=858

I just use my enclosure for back-up, so I've been rebooting for back-ups every 2 weeks. Not ideal but workable. I might try it on USB3 and see how the transfer speeds are. I've randomly had Windows recognize the drives when powering on in Windows (works 5-10% of the time, I just reboot if it doesn't recognize them).

In another thread, there is a guy with an ASRock Z77 board with the same ASMedia 1061 SATA3 controller, and his board has UEFI options to toggle AHCI/IDE etc. for the ASMedia ports, which the Asus boards lack, I wonder if that is the issue.

Hi all,

I see some of you have problem when hit "DEL" to enter BIOS, I have problem too, but I discover that you can hit "DEL" in number keyboard (on the right keyboard) to enter BIOS. I hope that Asus will fix this bug in next release BIOS.

This will be updated in an upcoming build.

The one under stability that says "SMBus access through ACPI (ASUS Motherboards)". I didn't try that with the latest Xpert 2, so yeah, if you wanna give it a shot, I'd be curious to see if it helps. Oh, it's unchecked by default, I never tried checking it with the latest Xpert, is that the way you have it set now, with it on?

Hi.
I have a new Asus P8Z7-V-Deluxe MOBO in an entrely new rig and it shows strange behaviours. I will count them here, hopefully someone can help me sort them out.

with the latest BIOS version from Asus website, the BIOS shows that I have 2 Keyboards, 2 Mice, 3 Hubs - The hubs numbers varies.
120701084252.png

That reflects in windows->Device manager as 2 HID compliant mice and 1 HID Keyboard, that is in addition to the 1 mouse and 1 keyboard I actually have.

Hmm, I may have had a different kb & mouse plugged in when I did the OS install, don't recall.
As far as the mouse and KB, I think that's kinda normal. I've got a Logitech G700 mouse and a Logitech G19 keyboard. Looking in the manager, it shows this...
kdkOJ.png

The one under stability that says "SMBus access through ACPI (ASUS Motherboards)". I didn't try that with the latest Xpert 2, so yeah, if you wanna give it a shot, I'd be curious to see if it helps. Oh, it's unchecked by default, I never tried checking it with the latest Xpert, is that the way you have it set now, with it on?

Well haven't installed Fan Xpert 2 last version yet...actually I feel so good now that the system is working flawlessly that I don't feel quite comfortable to dive in the tests again! :D
But I'll do it, I don't know when, but I'll do it. At the moment that AIDA option is off as per default.

Raja, what about my problem with AverMedia Gamer HD??? I've contacted with AV support guy too. Plz respond and send the info to HQ to investigate and fix the trouble...

Anyone can help please? I'm battling with this mobo and I'm doing everything I can to keep it but it seems that RMA is inevitable.

When I use a USB3.0 device with one of the ASmedia USB3.0 ports, the computer will get stuck on boot with "b2" q-code error. Only Intel port works fine.

The Intel port for charging devices won't charge anything. I've connected my Asus EEE pad TF101 to the port. I used Asus AI to select the ASUS device and clicked on the battery icon to start charging. The pad just kit up but wasn't charging anything.

And also why do I get 2 keyboards and 2 mice in BIOS? When I disconnect the keyboard and mouse, I get 1 keyboard and 1 mouse displayed in the BIOS. Where the hell does it take them from?

Please, anyone, help on this....

I've had this exact same problem but with the Mediasonic HUR1-SU3S2 (2-bay eSATA/USB3 with two drives in it). I've posted earlier in this thread and had some back and forth with Raja from Asus, and I also posted at Mediasonic without resolution:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038726373#post1038726373
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038734749#post1038734749
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038743223#post1038743223
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038763473#post1038763473
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=858

I just use my enclosure for back-up, so I've been rebooting for back-ups every 2 weeks. Not ideal but workable. I might try it on USB3 and see how the transfer speeds are. I've randomly had Windows recognize the drives when powering on in Windows (works 5-10% of the time, I just reboot if it doesn't recognize them).

In another thread, there is a guy with an ASRock Z77 board with the same ASMedia 1061 SATA3 controller, and his board has UEFI options to toggle AHCI/IDE etc. for the ASMedia ports, which the Asus boards lack, I wonder if that is the issue.

Thankyou for your reply and the links, Grambo. It would sure be great to know wherein the fault lies: either the z77 board or the Mediasonic probox. Perhaps later down the road someone will find a solution. In the interim I, like yourself, I will power on the enclosure during a boot and do less frequent backups. Good luck also in hunting for a solution.

Can anyone tell if ASUS P8Z77-V-Deluxe uses ASM1041/ASM1042 USB3 Controller ??

How can I verify the Firmware version and the driver version of the USB3 controller?

I know for sure it uses Asmedia ASM 106x SATA Controller - For SATA, but what's for USB3?

Can anyone tell if ASUS P8Z77-V-Deluxe uses ASM1041/ASM1042 USB3 Controller ??

How can I verify the Firmware version and the driver version of the USB3 controller?

I know for sure it uses Asmedia ASM 106x SATA Controller - For SATA, but what's for USB3?

I can tell you that the Usb 3.0 controller on my Z77 Sabretooth is indeed an Asmedia
ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller.. Not sure on your particular P8Z77-V. My particular
driver version is 11/03/2011 ver 1.14.3.0

Regards.

I can tell you that the Usb 3.0 controller on my Z77 Sabretooth is indeed an Asmedia
ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller.. Not sure on your particular P8Z77-V. My particular

Regards.

in ASmedia they have a newer driver version and firmware upgrade for both SATA6 and USB3 controllers.

For the USB 3 driver, the version is ver 1.14.8.0

Check it here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

Regards.

It is - the ASMedia controller is the same on all ASUS Z77-chipset motherboards. (By all I mean exactly that - from the P8Z77V-LX up.)

There's a reason for that - ASUS is big on commonality, and unless a feature is noticeably superior *enough* to restrict it to the more expensive part of the line (Intel PHYs for example), it will use the same parts from high end to low. The *dividing line* (this was equally true of P8Z68 as well) has remained the P8Zxx-V (separates budget from midrange); the -V is no longer the beginning of the high end of ASUS' ATX lineup.

The P8Z77-V has (like the P8Z68-V it replaces) settled in quite nicely as a solid and dependable *midrange* ATX motherboard.

While it does indeed have what would be considered *some* high-end-only features (in addition to the Intel PHY, it also uses the Realtek Semiconductor ALC892 codec found in the ROG and ATX workstation boards), it is not overloaded with features that midrange users won't use - nor is it even close to the price of the MAXIMUS V GENE, for example. (What finally convinced *me* to settle on the -V, for example, was not the Intel PHY - though I've had solid experience with Intel PHYs, I haven't had any bad experiences with Realtek Ethernet PHYs - nor was it the Realtek ALC892 codec [considering I'll be using discrete PCI-based audio, such a codec is utterly useless to me] - instead, it is WiFi-GO. The P8Z77-V is the lowest-priced ASUS motherboard to support it.)

It is - the ASMedia controller is the same on all ASUS Z77-chipset motherboards. (By all I mean exactly that - from the P8Z77V-LX up.)

There's a reason for that - ASUS is big on commonality, and unless a feature is noticeably superior *enough* to restrict it to the more expensive part of the line (Intel PHYs for example), it will use the same parts from high end to low. The *dividing line* (this was equally true of P8Z68 as well) has remained the P8Zxx-V (separates budget from midrange); the -V is no longer the beginning of the high end of ASUS' ATX lineup.

The P8Z77-V has (like the P8Z68-V it replaces) settled in quite nicely as a solid and dependable *midrange* ATX motherboard.

While it does indeed have what would be considered *some* high-end-only features (in addition to the Intel PHY, it also uses the Realtek Semiconductor ALC892 codec found in the ROG and ATX workstation boards), it is not overloaded with features that midrange users won't use - nor is it even close to the price of the MAXIMUS V GENE, for example. (What finally convinced *me* to settle on the -V, for example, was not the Intel PHY - though I've had solid experience with Intel PHYs, I haven't had any bad experiences with Realtek Ethernet PHYs - nor was it the Realtek ALC892 codec [considering I'll be using discrete PCI-based audio, such a codec is utterly useless to me] - instead, it is WiFi-GO. The P8Z77-V is the lowest-priced ASUS motherboard to support it.)

Thankyou for enlightening us regarding z77 features on that whole line. It reminds me of all those old Asus mobo's I have purchased through the years that where midrange and rock soid stable. Its really a no brainer when buying a new mobo to go with an Asus. This time I went out and grabbed something a little higher end for my overclocking needs with the Sabretooth Z77. Ill tell you it sure is nice to OC and not ever have a double post like with my P2B-E. All the best with your P8Z77-V ^^

in ASmedia they have a newer driver version and firmware upgrade for both SATA6 and USB3 controllers.

For the USB 3 driver, the version is ver 1.14.8.0

Check it here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

Thankyour for the heads up ill check those out Gil80.

I will post back if these drivers solve an issue Grambo and I have with our mediasonic enclosures not showing up in windows when we power them on inside windows7. We need to turn them on before/during post or the enclosure gets confused.

Last edited:
Thankyour for the heads up ill check those out Gil80.

I will post back if these drivers solve an issue Grambo and I have with our mediasonic enclosures not showing up in windows when we power them on inside windows7. We need to turn them on before/during post or the enclosure gets confused.

Yep that would be interesting. I hope it will solve the problem.
For me, I still have the 2 keyboards 2 mice thing....

Yep that would be interesting. I hope it will solve the problem.
For me, I still have the 2 keyboards 2 mice thing....

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Go into Device Manager and find the USB VID and PID for your keyboards (Details tab, Hardware Ids Property), then look them up. In my case I have two "keyboards". One is my logitech G9x mouse, probably so it can send keystrokes to Windows.

Thanks.

But it still annoys me to see that in BIOS - trying to figure out why does the BIOS think I have 2 keyboard, 2 mice and 3 hubs... :)

I guess my biggest fear is that I might have applied to much pressure when I closed the CPU lead for the first time. I didn't take the plastic protective cap while doing so... as the mobo manual illustrated - but looking in youtube, JJ shows that he actually takes that plastic cap off before installing the CPU....

Thanks.

But it still annoys me to see that in BIOS - trying to figure out why does the BIOS think I have 2 keyboard, 2 mice and 3 hubs... :)

I guess my biggest fear is that I might have applied to much pressure when I closed the CPU lead for the first time. I didn't take the plastic protective cap while doing so... as the mobo manual illustrated - but looking in youtube, JJ shows that he actually takes that plastic cap off before installing the CPU....

LOL u sir an ...

Thanks.

Did you follow up and investigate in Windows? If you have devices that are reporting themselves as multiple USB devices, then you want your BIOS to understand that.

Also, even if you have no external USB hubs attached, you may have multiple USB hubs. I know some Motherboards use hubs to provide more USB ports, although I'm not sure about yours.

I installed the newest driver ver 1.14.8.0 found on Gil80's link on page 34 of this thread and it did not solve the mediasonic enclosure confusal. Interesting there is an asmedia controller firmware update there too to support 3tb drives. Im assuming my board has that or it would not be able to see the drives at all even the way we are forced to use the enclosure. But who knows ^^

I tried to use the dos flasher (which is the only way to flash the firmware) but was unable to boot from a dos 1 gig flash drive setup several ways in the bios (ie floppy/forced dd/hard drive) at all perhaps the board doesn't like old dos 6.22 ? Ideally I would have backup up the firmware first and see what version was on the board.

Regards.

I agree, that's a nice model with good features for the price

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a GTX 460 as a dedicated Physx card alongside the GTX 670. I want to keep it in the bottom x16 port for airflow reasons but there it only runs at x1 instead of x4 or else it would disable all the x1 ports.

Is this speed enough for Physx, or should I move to the other port and restrict airflow.

hello!
I have a problem.
I can not update orom 11.2 on bios 904 asus maximus gene.
Using this method http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038071484&postcount=4814 orom and is updated but when I go to load the bios gives me error (security verification failed) why? can someone update this bios or post the correct procedure? excuse my English.
EDIT:maximus v gene updated with intel raid bios rom 11.2 and solved with asus bios rollback :) thanks.

anyone using P8Z77-I Deluxe with an all-in-one CPU water cooler like Antec Khuler 620 or Corsair H60? How's the backplate compatibility?

Grambo, I have not yet solved this issue, though a workaround from mediasonic was to add in a new controller and see if that solves the issue. Im not really keen on filling another slot for airflow reasons. And the bottom slot will perhaps be used for the thunderbolt header in the future. The reason for this post is to ask if you have tried usb 3.0 yet? Im not expecting write speeds to be amazing but from what ive heard read speeds are good. Nothing near the 150MB/s Im getting at the moment ^^ either read or write is simillar to internal drive speeds. That enclosures only nerfed by the speed of the drive and im pretty impressed. An older drive from ~2009 only gets about 95MB/s as one would expect.

Regards !

Grambo, I have not yet solved this issue, though a workaround from mediasonic was to add in a new controller and see if that solves the issue. Im not really keen on filling another slot for airflow reasons. And the bottom slot will perhaps be used for the thunderbolt header in the future. The reason for this post is to ask if you have tried usb 3.0 yet? Im not expecting write speeds to be amazing but from what ive heard read speeds are good. Nothing near the 150MB/s Im getting at the moment ^^ either read or write is simillar to internal drive speeds. That enclosures only nerfed by the speed of the drive and im pretty impressed. An older drive from ~2009 only gets about 95MB/s as one would expect.

Regards !

Yeah the Mediasonic rep on their forums suggested the same thing to me (~$20 add in card) and I was not keen for the same reasons as you.

I still haven't actually tried USB3, maybe I will now as it sounds like it is just as fast (and my MB has USB3 boost and UASP if it is supported on the device). I'll dig out the cable and give it a shot next time I back up.

OK a little off topic. This concerns Lucid MVP.
Asus P8Z77-V Intel 3770K, 2x 4G G.skill 2133.
Windows 7 SP1 -X64

I have the IGPU enabled and Multi Monitor enabled in the bios. I also have the IGPU set as the primary display adapter. I also have an EVGA 560Ti installed. I have installed the latest drivers for both the Intel IGPU and the 560Ti. I then installed Lucid MVP latest driver from the Lucid site.
Monitor is hooked up to the IGPU.

I tried running a few games that were listed in the Lucid MVP panel and then I tried running 3DMark11. No matter what options I pick in the MVP control panel, the discrete GPU utilization never goes above 0. Frame rate in 3dMark is between 3 and 5. If I reset the BIOS to set the 560Ti as the primary display adapter and move the monitor to the 560Ti, frame rates jump to 20-28 and GPU utilization indicates its in use.

I am clueless on what I am doing wrong. I thought that having the IGPU set as primary, and Lucid MVP set to I-mode I would see a 3d app cause the 560Ti to turn on and be used but NADA. Not even if i set the app in MVP to D-mode.

Of course if you go to the Lucid site they tell you to go to the MB manufactured for help. So here I am.

Len

Back