ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Dan37tz I just flashed to 1206 but I can get into UEFI but only if I use a USB keyboard and pound the crap out of the Delete key. PS/2 keyboard does nothing when I start hitting the DEL key its almost appears to go to booting process. I was at some 0703 BIOS as this is a new motherboard. Normally a PS/2 keyboard will be attached to this computer so I guess I will have to roll the BIOS back to prior version. This is a glaring problem that should of been caught.

SIGH :mad:

P.S. If you are using a PS/2 keyboard one can use F8 on bootup and select Enter Setup. DEL key is useless.

Should I revert back to the prior BIOS version which is 1015 or does 1206 actually fix glaring bugs that are in 1015?

1) Not sure, they are working on it. I am not the one doing the work so I cannot be definite.

2) "I only changed the frequency" is the likely cause of the non-POSTs. It is not fully stable. As I said earlier, there are some double-POST scenarios that are a requirement but a non-POST is definitely an instability issue.

Hi Raja, thank you for your help b4 (its about the "A0" Q-Code).

You said that double-post is a requirement.

1.My system will show asus logo after system power on then disappear and flash that logo again, only after that it will start the windows does it mean it double-post?? Is it about my 1600Mhz DIMM that J-Dec only read as 1333Mhz?

2. After Extreme auto-overclock in the windows environment, (lets say I got 4.5 ghz after that). After I shutdown the computer do I still get the 4.5ghz or I have to auto-tune again?

Can I make the result permanent in the bios?

3. Should I update my BIOS? I mean there is a lot of issue that being post in here about the 1206 BIOS.:confused:

I want to pickup an Asus Z77 Sabertooth today, and have concerns about memory I've already purchased not being on the QVL. I have Samsung Green DDR3 2 x 4 gig 1600 Mbps dual channel memory, model # MV-3V4G3D/US. I don't necessarily plan to overclock if that matters.

Am I going to have problems with this memory?

I just finished building a system with the following

P8Z77-V Pro BIOS 1206
i5 3570K (not overclocked)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB)
500GB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 32MB Cache (boot drive)
1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
OCZ 600W ModXstream Pro SLI Ready Power Supply
Win7 Pro x64

The bootup time of Win7 is horrendous taking close to 1:15 to get to the desktop! My old AMD600+ w 5GB of RAM is faster. Are there problems with some of the Asus supploed drivers or utils? Using Asus Suite along with the onboard video card.

I just finished building a system with the following

P8Z77-V Pro BIOS 1206
i5 3570K (not overclocked)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB)
500GB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 32MB Cache (boot drive)
1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
OCZ 600W ModXstream Pro SLI Ready Power Supply
Win7 Pro x64

The bootup time of Win7 is horrendous taking close to 1:15 to get to the desktop! My old AMD600+ w 5GB of RAM is faster. Are there problems with some of the Asus supploed drivers or utils? Using Asus Suite along with the onboard video card.

Something is definitely wrong. What onboard devices are you using (onboard sound, wifi, ASMedia USB3, ASMedia SATA etc)?

Did you format your boot drive and do a fresh install of Windows?

What is the longest part of the boot (is it the UEFI POST screen/Asus logo or is it the Windows logo part).

With an SSD, my total time from pressing power to Windows 7 login screen is 16 seconds (6-7s POST and 8-9s to load Windows). I have the ASMedia USB3 and SATA enabled, and have onboard sound/WIFI disabled.

Something is definitely wrong. What onboard devices are you using (onboard sound, wifi, ASMedia USB3, ASMedia SATA etc)?

Only device disabled in BIOS is the WiFi. Hard drives and DVD is connected to Intel SATA3 controller and using onboard video.

Did you format your boot drive and do a fresh install of Windows?
Initally yes I did a format of the drive via the Win7 install DVD

What is the longest part of the boot (is it the UEFI POST screen/Asus logo or is it the Windows logo part).
Its the part with the Win7 colored balls.
With an SSD, my total time from pressing power to Windows 7 login screen is 16 seconds (6-7s POST and 8-9s to load Windows). I have the ASMedia USB3 and SATA enabled, and have onboard sound/WIFI disabled.[/quote]

I restored an image backup with some applications installed but BEFORE Windows updates. The system boots up now in 45secs. I may try formatting the boot drive and do a prestine install of Win7 to see how long that takes.

I want to pickup an Asus Z77 Sabertooth today, and have concerns about memory I've already purchased not being on the QVL. I have Samsung Green DDR3 2 x 4 gig 1600 Mbps dual channel memory, model # MV-3V4G3D/US. I don't necessarily plan to overclock if that matters.

As long as the voltage is 1.5V or under you should be fine. I looked at the specs of that ram and it is so it shouldn't be a problem. I am using Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997002 for a total of 16Gb and it isn't on qvl list and I am not having any problems.

Thanks, that somewhat alleviates my concerns :)

As long as the voltage is 1.5V or under you should be fine. I looked at the specs of that ram and it is so it shouldn't be a problem. I am using Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997002 for a total of 16Gb and it isn't on qvl list and I am not having any problems.

Thanks, that somewhat alleviates my concerns :)

No problem. BTW, I love this Sabertooth board so far. Its been up and running for about a month or so now! I'd say go for it!

FYI This is the specs of my rig

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
Ram: 2 x Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
VGA: ASUS ENGTX560Ti448DC2/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SSD Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
HDD 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: LG Black 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA WH12LS39 LightScribe Support
CPU Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Last edited:
I am about to buy a 3770K which I would like to OC to 4.4 or 4.5
I am undecided between the P8Z77-V and the P8Z77-V LE. I only have one Video Card and one PCIE-X1 card.

I am leaning toward the LE, but I am wondering if the 6+2 power phase on the LE vs the 8+4 on the V will affect my ability to overclock to the levels I mentioned above.

Len

You shouldn't, I'm running 4 of those sticks in my deluxe.

I just ordered this motherboard from Amazon, any tips or tricks for new setup?

Install, flash new BIOS, forget it - LOL

There are no such tricks, m8. I just disable the devices which I do not use, OC CPU and that's it! Try to discover Lucid Vertu MVP, which is interesting for me too, but I didn't use it yet!

Thanks I just orderd a whole new setup so I'm excited!

I5 CPU
Asus Z77
EVGA 670
16GB corsair ven
Corsair 120GB ssd
etc etc

I've used Asus RMA from Canada and it was quite painless. Only took 2 weeks total....

Hi.

Did you advance RMA, where they send you a replacement mobo first, then you send in your defective mobo? Or did you have to send in your mobo first, then get a new one?

I'm just trying to gauge how long shipping takes so I have an idea of when to call in for a RMA when I'm overseas.

Hi.

Did you advance RMA, where they send you a replacement mobo first, then you send in your defective mobo? Or did you have to send in your mobo first, then get a new one?

I'm just trying to gauge how long shipping takes so I have an idea of when to call in for a RMA when I'm overseas.

No...I simple sent it in. It was a spare machine so I was prepared to live without for some time.

Greetings:

Aside from what's in the manual(s), can anyone point me to resources or provide tips on setting up and configuring a pair of SSDs in RAID 0 on the P8Z77WS? Will run Win7 64.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Using the "Search this thread" option searching for "Auto Tuning", this didn't give me any results, so I'm hoping it hasn't already been answered.

I just bought a Sabertooth Z77 and was expecting to find Auto Tuning on the AI Suite bar, as that's what I see pushed on the Z77 videos where Asus reps talk about nothing but this tool to overclock. However, upon installing the AI Suite, all I get is Thermal Radar and no Auto Tuning. Does Auto Tuning not support the Sabertooth Z77? Is there an update in the works?

I'm not sure if I need to install it separately as I'm used to EVGA mobos. I looked at the product pages for the Z77 motherboards on the Asus site, but no board seems to mention it at all.

Thanks!

Using the "Search this thread" option searching for "Auto Tuning", this didn't give me any results, so I'm hoping it hasn't already been answered.

I just bought a Sabertooth Z77 and was expecting to find Auto Tuning on the AI Suite bar, as that's what I see pushed on the Z77 videos where Asus reps talk about nothing but this tool to overclock. However, upon installing the AI Suite, all I get is Thermal Radar and no Auto Tuning. Does Auto Tuning not support the Sabertooth Z77? Is there an update in the works?

I'm not sure if I need to install it separately as I'm used to EVGA mobos. I looked at the product pages for the Z77 motherboards on the Asus site, but no board seems to mention it at all.

Thanks!

Not sure what Ai Suite looks like on the Sabertooth, but check for TurboV Evo, that is the module that does Windows based overclocking, and has the Auto Tune Extreme button (use the Extreme one, it's the one that does iterative reboots and stability tests).

Not sure what Ai Suite looks like on the Sabertooth, but check for TurboV Evo, that is the module that does Windows based overclocking, and has the Auto Tune Extreme button (use the Extreme one, it's the one that does iterative reboots and stability tests).

Here's a screenshot of the TurboV EVO screen, and one of the installed components. I'm thinking I'm missing those buttons?

http://imgur.com/a/L2beC

I have recently bought a P8Z77-V and i am having problems with the front USB-3 ports. My system is set up with 2 ssd,s one running XP-pro the other running Win 7, operating independently of each other using a boot manager. The first OS i installed was XP-pro and the front usb-3,s worked with this but after installing Win 7 they ceased to operate with XP but still work with 7. I have loaded all the necessary drivers from the support cd but its made no difference. Yesterday i started the bios once again to check if i had missed something and out of desperation i made the following changes:

1.Intel xHCI from enabled to smart auto

2.ASM1061 storage controller from enabled

dont know why, as i said desperation.

Booted into XP tried my usb3 flash drive and nothing, i had read somewhere on the net to try a usb2 device in the second front socket, this i done and it starts working so does the usb3 flash drive which i transfered files to to load onto win 7.

Closed the pc down returned about an hour later then on rebooting front panel usb,s not working again not even with usb2 flash drive. What is happening have i got a faulty board.

Raja (or anyone else with ideas), my specs are listed below for my new computer build. I am having an issue with the computer freezing (both after it is booted into windows and while I am in the Bios). The freeze seems to happen at random times. Sometimes it freezes right away and sometimes it takes over a half hour for it to freeze up. There is no blue screen or error message at all. I have made sure that all of the drivers are up to date and I have updated to the latest bios (left bios at default settings for now). I am currently running a memtest right now (sure takes awhile) to see if the sticks are bad. I was wondering if there is something that you notice might be incompatible with the motherboard. Any insight or direction to look in trouble shooting this is greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Graphics: nVidia QUADRO 4000 2GB
HD1: OCZ Petrol 128GB SATA III SSD (OS Installed)
HD2: Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB SATA 7200RPM
Bios: P8Z77-V DELUXE BIOS 1206 (Default Settings)
Power Supply: Corsair HX650W
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower

EDIT: I am using this exclusively for CAD software.

Last edited:
Hey Raja I need some help as well. Ive searched for this but it seems like I am the first to have this problem with the Gene V.

Im having some problems with my Gene 5 motherboard in regards to being able to control the CPU or CPU OPT connectors either in the bios or in windows with fan xpert. I did update the bios to the most recent version recently, so I originally thought that this had something to do with it.

My system was running fine until a couple of days ago when i realized that the fan speed was at a steady 520-540 rpm. As a FYI I have a H100 with Push pull setup, using a 1 to 4 y split pwm adapter cable (uses a 4 pin molex for power, it only uses the pwm and rpm wires going to the fan header on the mother board) all 4 fans are PWM fans. Everything I have tried to resolve this problem:

Tried all of the PWM fans in my case on the CPU header, still no good.
Tried the Intel OEM heatsink fan, still no good.
Tried different versions of fan xpert, still no good.
Flashed back to Original Bios, Still no good.
Tried every other Bios, Still no good.

:confused:

I know the connector has good power, ground, and rpm signal because i took a 3 pin fan and hooked it up and it spun at 100% rpm. All the fans works on any of the other fan connectors on the board and are fully controllable. I also tried all the components in another system as well, including the 4 pin PWM fan 4 way split, everything works.

I think the Board it self has a hardware issue with a controller of some sorts. I don't see any damage to the board at all in regards to the CPU and CPU opt fan connectors. No burns. no broken pins, no shorts...etc ... everything looks great.

Was wondering if I am missing anything here before I call up to RMA this board. Maybe I am missing something here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Called up RMA support, 2 hour wait so they are going to call me back. After researching this issue further Ive concluded that the board is faulty and needs replacement. Sigh....

Last edited:
I really hope there is not a long wait for the Asus Maximus V Extreme. I firmly decided to wait for it but it is also the only part holding up my build.

Hey

Would it be possible to boot W7 from the mSATA drive of the Asus P8Z77-V Premium (either the one you receive with the board or a larger one) and do not install any other drives?

Thanks.

Raja, hey buddy! My AverMedia Gamer HD doesn't work at PCI-e 1x... The device can't be detected. It works only in PCI-e x16. Many people has such problem too and it's global not only me one... I've already sent this info to AverMedia support and forums. Plz assist with such support ticket to ur Asus HQ. I would be appreciated

Source: http://forum.avermedia.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4956&p=5711#p5711

config:

My config:
> CPU Intel i7-2600k 4.2 Ghz XMP Profile 1.220v
> Case Thermaltake VH6000BWS
> Asus P8Z77-V Pro Bios 1206
> Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) 2x4Gb 1600Mhz 1.5v XMP 8-8-8-24
> Palit GTX 670 Power Target 122%/GPU Clock Offset +120Mhz/Mem Clock Offset +25Mhz/1.150v
> Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Pro Champion Series – driver 2.18.0015a
> Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC card – driver 6.1.0.315
> AverMedia Gamer HD card - coding/streaming/capturing 06/01/2012
> Corsair Hydro H70 with Enermax Everest x2 coolers
> Sony Optiarc AD-7260S Firmware 1.03
> HDD WD 2Tb Black Caviar (logical disk for video recordings)
> Port 1 SSD OCZ Vertex 3 60Gb (main for OS) FW 2.22
> Acer GN245HQ 3D monitor with 120Hz
> PSU Enermax MaxRevo 1350Wts
> SteelPad 9HD
> Coolers 2xEnermax T.B. Silence, 2xEnermax T.B. Vegas Duo in case

USB devices:
> 1-Logitech G9x – driver SetPoint 6.30
> 2-Logitech G510 keyboard – Logitech Gaming Software 8.30
> External HDD Transcend StoreJet 25C 250GB TS250GSJ25C 2.5 USB 2.0
> Logitech QuickCam E2500 - driver Logitech WebCam Software 1.10.1113.0
> Transcend HDD Down 5 and 6 USBs - connected with APC Smart-UPS 1500VA and Logitech Webcan E2500
> APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 230V - PowerChute Business Edition 5 Node v9.0.1

Acoustics:
> Reciever Yamaha RX-V659
> Front speakers Energy C500
> SubWoofer AudioPro

Win7x64

Updated, but sadly I still have the same TurboV EVO screen. No new buttons that I could see. :(

Should I enable something in the BIOS for this to become available, or something else entirely?

Thanks for the help!

Hmm, I'm not at home right now, but referencing this AnandTech article, you should have an "Auto Tuning" button where the "Thermal Radar" button is now:

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1957/ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Software 01 - PowerUp_575px.png

Looks like Ai Suite is different on the Sabertooth boards, not sure if they have put the button elsewhere?

Raja (or anyone else with ideas), my specs are listed below for my new computer build. I am having an issue with the computer freezing (both after it is booted into windows and while I am in the Bios). The freeze seems to happen at random times. Sometimes it freezes right away and sometimes it takes over a half hour for it to freeze up. There is no blue screen or error message at all. I have made sure that all of the drivers are up to date and I have updated to the latest bios (left bios at default settings for now). I am currently running a memtest right now (sure takes awhile) to see if the sticks are bad. I was wondering if there is something that you notice might be incompatible with the motherboard. Any insight or direction to look in trouble shooting this is greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Graphics: nVidia QUADRO 4000 2GB
HD1: OCZ Petrol 128GB SATA III SSD (OS Installed)
HD2: Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB SATA 7200RPM
Bios: P8Z77-V DELUXE BIOS 1206 (Default Settings)
Power Supply: Corsair HX650W
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower

EDIT: I am using this exclusively for CAD software.

Things I would try:

1) Ensure SSD is updated to latest firmware
2) Run the memory at DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600, as 1600 is technically the max spec for Ivy Bridge/Z77, if you run at faster than 1600 you are overclocking the memory controller which is not 100% guaranteed to work (although IB is typically fine with 2800-3000+ speeds but you never know)
3) MemTest on the memory at both 1600 and 2400 (I see you have started this already)

Does asus have a recommended mpcie wireless card or wireless + bluetooth for the max v gene? I'm looking to go to wireless when we move and was thinking a wireless + bluetooth combo could be handy if they aren't too much more money over straight wireless.

I've tried searching the interwebs and have seen people on the rog site having issues with some cards that are combo BT and wireless. Does asus have a recommend card or chipset that can do both or am I better off going wireless only?

I am about get the P8Z77-V or PRO and am having difficult time finding the proper memory for this computer without ordering online. The memory I am trying to get is: KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G which is on the QVL list but can only order online to get this.

Why is 1.65V memory recommended for smaller than 4G dimms if 1.5V is the recommended voltage by Intel? Even the QVL has 1.65V volt memory suggested.. I am confused.

All these stores are pushing this 1.65v ram everywhere and it's not even true 1600 memory it's 1333 tested at 1600 then everyone wonders why it's not picked up by the BIOS automatically...

Also what's with these ridiculous heat spreaders on all this memory? How am I to fit my noctua on this thing lol.. The only memory I found was Corsair but I will not touch corsair memory again.

Anyway I haven't built a system in 5 years and it seems it's just as complicated as it ever was to do it right, looks like I will just order online.

Things I would try:

1) Ensure SSD is updated to latest firmware
2) Run the memory at DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600, as 1600 is technically the max spec for Ivy Bridge/Z77, if you run at faster than 1600 you are overclocking the memory controller which is not 100% guaranteed to work (although IB is typically fine with 2800-3000+ speeds but you never know)
3) MemTest on the memory at both 1600 and 2400 (I see you have started this already)

Thanks for the suggestions. The MemTest returned no errors. I set the memory to 1600 and it has lasted over one hour so far which is better than before (fingers crossed). If I have to attempt updating the firmware for the SSD that will essential format it, correct? Can I ghost the SSD so I don't have to reinstall the OS and other programs?

Well I'm fairly confident now that the update for Fan Xpert 2 is what was causing my system to shut down. I removed the update and went back to the original release version that came with the system, and I haven't had it shutdown since. I guess the next version need to be broken again so that it'll play well with AIDA.

Back