ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

I read through all the posts here and earlier on people where having problems with memory in all 4 slots causing non booting/memory code errors or I think even BSOD. I am looking at building a system with P8Z77-V Pro and using Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) [CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9] along with a i5-3570K. Will not be overclocking the system.

Have the memory problems been solved with this model of motherboard and can all 4 slots be populated?

Make sure you flash the most up-to-date version of the firmware. I tried 2 different kits of that memory on my Deluxe and it kept failing memtest+, so I ended up using Samsung RAM which is fine. I just got some feedback from my review of that RAM on Newegg from Corsair, advising a newer firmware should address the issue I was having with that Corsair RAM.

Make sure you flash the most up-to-date version of the firmware. I tried 2 different kits of that memory on my Deluxe and it kept failing memtest+, so I ended up using Samsung RAM which is fine. I just got some feedback from my review of that RAM on Newegg from Corsair, advising a newer firmware should address the issue I was having with that Corsair RAM.

So did you just use one stick of memory during the BIOS update?

I didn't, I ended up giving up on the Corsair after the 2nd kit still failed, but other RAM passed.

I'd say if you wanted to play it safe when you first put it together, that would be the safest way to go.

1) That is a normal code displayed on these boards.

2) DDR3-1333 is the highest Jedec timing set on thiose modules. If you want DDR3-1600 simply set it manually or use the XMP to set it for you.

3) If you have no drive plugged in and don't intend to use the Marvell ports then you don't need the driver. Not sure which driver version you are trying to install or where, but the driver should install either way.

4) You need an SSD for caching for Smart response. For Rapid Start check the motherboard manual for instructions and requirements.

-Raja

I have some weird issue with the -V Pro and Mushkin Blackline 997015 2133. Whenever I set it to use XMP timing, my PC would crash randomly. The only solution is set it to Auto and let it use the 1333 timing. I think there may be a compatibility issue between the two components. I do not have another 2133 kit to use, so I really can't pinpoint the problem out.

I read through all the posts here and earlier on people where having problems with memory in all 4 slots causing non booting/memory code errors or I think even BSOD. I am looking at building a system with P8Z77-V Pro and using Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) [CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9] along with a i5-3570K. Will not be overclocking the system.

Have the memory problems been solved with this model of motherboard and can all 4 slots be populated?

Hey there again, just wanted to update: my success rate with 4 sticks of RAM was 100%.

The system booted just fine on the second attempt. The first power-up gave me a BOOT DEVICE error. Note that I did use the usb biosh flash feature, I figured it would help to have the latest BIOS version to help with the initial post.

Regarding the boot device error however, it may have been a fluke. I was wondering why my monitor was saying "no signal detected". Turns out, I had plugged into the wrong DVI port, haha! I have no idea why I put it in the integrated GPU port instead of the proper one.

Again, components used to enter BIOS/install W7:
Asus P88Z77-V
Intel 3770K
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHZ CL9 16GB
Gainward GTX 680 Phantom
Crucial M4 256GB

Also had an optical DVD-player in there.

Good luck dawg!

lates BIOS fro Maximus Gene V - harder to time DEL key to eneter BIOS at start-up.

Not sure if this was the case before, but case fan duty won't go below 60% now.

Hi!

Thought I might post about a few issues I have. Perhaps the solution have already been provided? I searched, but couldn't find them.

Mostly I have two issues.

The first is with FanXpert 2. This seems to be a continuing issue, with different symptoms as the issue evolved. First, it would simply not load profiles upon startup of the computer. I noticed that other people have (had?) this issue as well. However, the issue is a bit different now. It still doesn't load any profile on startup, but when I open aisuite and click on FanXpert 2, the profile (standard I believe) will actually load. I don't have to manually select the profile; simply opening the application does it. Would be nice if it could load automatically! I believe I have the most recent version.

Another issue I have is an intermittent one. It wills sometimes happen upon boot. I press the power on button (from a completely shut down state). All the fans spin up to 100% speed, and remain like so for about 10-15 seconds, then the computer turns off and restarts. It will then either do the same thing, or will actually boot. When it does actually boot, the fans do spin up to 100% for about 5 seconds, then throttle down to normal speeds.

Any ideas?

e: this is on an p8z77 / intell 2700k btw :)

Thanks all. :)

Last edited:
Hi!

Thought I might post about a few issues I have. Perhaps the solution have already been provided? I searched, but couldn't find them.

Mostly I have two issues.

The first is with FanXpert 2. This seems to be a continuing issue, with different symptoms as the issue evolved. First, it would simply not load profiles upon startup of the computer. I noticed that other people have (had?) this issue as well. However, the issue is a bit different now. It still doesn't load any profile on startup, but when I open aisuite and click on FanXpert 2, the profile (standard I believe) will actually load. I don't have to manually select the profile; simply opening the application does it. Would be nice if it could load automatically! I believe I have the most recent version.

Another issue I have is an intermittent one. It wills sometimes happen upon boot. I press the power on button (from a completely shut down state). All the fans spin up to 100% speed, and remain like so for about 10-15 seconds, then the computer turns off and restarts. It will then either do the same thing, or will actually boot. When it does actually boot, the fans do spin up to 100% for about 5 seconds, then throttle down to normal speeds.

Any ideas?

e: this is on an p8z77 / intell 2700k btw :)

Thanks all. :)

1) That is a known bug. Might be fixed in an update.

2) This could be down to system overclocking (BCLK change from default), or memory configuration. There are some configurations that require double POST from AC cycle. If the system sometimes no-POSTs then it is likely down to system instability of some sort during memory training/test. Fan speed is full-on until polling gets to the point where it applies any fan profile settings.

Last edited:
1) That is a known bug. Might be fixed in an update.

2) This could be down to system overclocking (BCLK change from default), or memory configuration. There are some configurations that require double POST from AC cycle. If the system sometimes no-POSTs then it is likely down to system instability of some sort during memory training/test. Fan speed is full-on until polling gets to the point where it applies any fan profile settings.

Thanks for your answer!

1) It's sad that you can't give a definitive answer on this; whether or not it WILL be fixed. That really breaks an otherwise good piece of software. It still is an advertised part of the product, after all :(

2) Well, I'm at work at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change the BCLK. I only increased the frequency. If I recall correctly, I didn't even set the voltage manually, it wouldn't take it, it's on automatic voltage control. I haven't touched the memory yet. While I plan to do so, I wanted to see if I could get the thing to run flawlessly first (it never crashed once actually started correctly, mind you).

The first thing I would do is compare the serial number on the mobo against the serial number on the box. They should match. If they don't I'd return the board immediately.

They did match, the one big tell tale sign apart from bits of plastic/lint was underneath the CPU latch was discolored.

The store strongly denied it being refurbished and claimed to of checked with Asus but issued me the refund regardless (Australian consumer law requirement).
They tried to say they check by looking at the holes for the screws around the heatsink, I told them the stock heatsink is plastic and doesnt leave marks.

Raja I think the new bios may be worse than the 1015 for me.

Old computer 1015 BIOS:
3770k 4.5-5Ghz
2400 Cas10 RAM
CPU SPEED/VCCIO Voltage needed: 4.5GHz 1.1v , 4.9Ghz 1.225v, 5GHz 1.3v ALL OKAY.

New computer 20xx BIOS:
(replacement V Deluxe)
3570K 4.5GHz (other CPU didnt like Prime 2.77 @ 1.6v :) )
VCCIO 1.1v and 1.15v
2400MHz Cas10 SAME RAM sticks: Q-Code 23 :(
2200MHz RAM is okay though.

RAM is 2 sticks(half the kit) of CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @ 1.63v

This Q-Code is not in the manual.

I still need to try adjust DRAM voltage frequency in Digi+ which has always been left to Auto.

AFK for 3 weeks so wont be able to work this out until then.

Raja do you know the amps for each fan output on the motherboard? The manual only lists CPU_FAN. I am having trouble with my 10 FANs and not sure if its wiring or not enough power on the motherboard.
Still dont have my Aquaero fan controller.

If I had to guess FAN1-4 is all on the same output? I didnt have any trouble until I added 2 fans yesterday.

Last edited:
This is not relating to any problem I'm having atm, but I'm just curious. I'm currently using AIDA64 to measure my voltages. It sometimes reports the following for 3.3V, 5V, and 12V:

+3.3V: 3.408
+5V: 5.040
+12V: 12.192

The 3.3 and 12 voltages are higher by over 0.100. Is anything bad gonna happen? What (if any) could be causing the 3.3 and 12V to be higher than they should?

This is not relating to any problem I'm having atm, but I'm just curious. I'm currently using AIDA64 to measure my voltages. It sometimes reports the following for 3.3V, 5V, and 12V:

+3.3V: 3.408
+5V: 5.040
+12V: 12.192

The 3.3 and 12 voltages are higher by over 0.100. Is anything bad gonna happen? What (if any) could be causing the 3.3 and 12V to be higher than they should?

That is the power supply rail voltages and they are well within spec. :)

Hey there again, just wanted to update: my success rate with 4 sticks of RAM was 100%.

Again, components used to enter BIOS/install W7:
Asus P88Z77-V
Intel 3770K
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHZ CL9 16GB
Gainward GTX 680 Phantom
Crucial M4 256GB

Also had an optical DVD-player in there.

Good luck dawg!

Ok thanks for the update on the progress. Going to go with the Pro board and the Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) [CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9]. Will flash the BIOS to 1206 which is current version. I assume thats the same BIOS version you wound up going to?

They did match, the one big tell tale sign apart from bits of plastic/lint was underneath the CPU latch was discolored.

The store strongly denied it being refurbished and claimed to of checked with Asus but issued me the refund regardless (Australian consumer law requirement).
They tried to say they check by looking at the holes for the screws around the heatsink, I told them the stock heatsink is plastic and doesnt leave marks.

Old computer 1015 BIOS:
3770k 4.5-5Ghz
2400 Cas10 RAM
CPU SPEED/VCCIO Voltage needed: 4.5GHz 1.1v , 4.9Ghz 1.225v, 5GHz 1.3v ALL OKAY.

New computer 20xx BIOS:
(replacement V Deluxe)
3570K 4.5GHz (other CPU didnt like Prime 2.77 @ 1.6v :) )
VCCIO 1.1v and 1.15v
2400MHz Cas10 SAME RAM sticks: Q-Code 23 :(
2200MHz RAM is okay though.

RAM is 2 sticks(half the kit) of CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @ 1.63v

This Q-Code is not in the manual.

I still need to try adjust DRAM voltage frequency in Digi+ which has always been left to Auto.

AFK for 3 weeks so wont be able to work this out until then.

Raja do you know the amps for each fan output on the motherboard? The manual only lists CPU_FAN. I am having trouble with my 10 FANs and not sure if its wiring or not enough power on the motherboard.
Still dont have my Aquaero fan controller.

If I had to guess FAN1-4 is all on the same output? I didnt have any trouble until I added 2 fans yesterday.

1) Code 23 is IMC/memory related. Check DRAM sub-timings and set manually if need be. Depends on the ucode changes to training, if it is not quite as stable then you need to relax the timings until it is.

2) Should be 1 amp per header.

-Raja

Thanks for your answer!

1) It's sad that you can't give a definitive answer on this; whether or not it WILL be fixed. That really breaks an otherwise good piece of software. It still is an advertised part of the product, after all :(

2) Well, I'm at work at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change the BCLK. I only increased the frequency. If I recall correctly, I didn't even set the voltage manually, it wouldn't take it, it's on automatic voltage control. I haven't touched the memory yet. While I plan to do so, I wanted to see if I could get the thing to run flawlessly first (it never crashed once actually started correctly, mind you).

1) Not sure, they are working on it. I am not the one doing the work so I cannot be definite.

2) "I only changed the frequency" is the likely cause of the non-POSTs. It is not fully stable. As I said earlier, there are some double-POST scenarios that are a requirement but a non-POST is definitely an instability issue.

1) Not sure, they are working on it. I am not the one doing the work so I cannot be definite.

2) "I only changed the frequency" is the likely cause of the non-POSTs. It is not fully stable. As I said earlier, there are some double-POST scenarios that are a requirement but a non-POST is definitely an instability issue.

Oh, ok, I think I had misread your post. I'll start tweaking other stuff I haven't changed yet and see how it goes. :p

I doubt this is a BIOS issue. I have used the same settings with 1015, 1050 and 1206 and the system has been fully stable at 4800Mhz with 32GB of ram at 2400MHz.

I am looking at purchasing the P8Z77-V PRO w/the i5-3570K. I am looking for a 2x8GB memory recommendation. I was looking at the QVL and to my surprise I did note see anything listed. I am not looking to overclock, but it could be an option.

I have been having problems with my P8Z77V-Pro that I purchased from Microcenter.

The LAN port stopped working after two weeks, I returned it and received another one. This board has issues with the onboard iGPU, I cannot for the life of me disable it. Any help??

I have been having problems with my P8Z77V-Pro that I purchased from Microcenter.

The LAN port stopped working after two weeks, I returned it and received another one. This board has issues with the onboard iGPU, I cannot for the life of me disable it. Any help??

If you have nothing plugged into the onboard display output ports the iGPU is effectively in low power state and not really on. If you have changed anything in UEFI at all then you may find it is showing up as a device that Windows can see. You can set the discrete GPU to be the only POST device in the Advanced section of UEFI. Your motherboard manual has details of UEFI in case you don't know where to find it. Other than that, if the GPU is not being used in any way (including for Virtu) then there is nothing to be concerned about as it will be in low power state.

-Raja

If you have nothing plugged into the onboard display output ports the iGPU is effectively in low power state and not really on. If you have changed anything in UEFI at all then you may find it is showing up as a device that Windows can see. You can set the discrete GPU to be the only POST device in the Advanced section of UEFI. Your motherboard manual has details of UEFI in case you don't know where to find it. Other than that, if the GPU is not being used in any way (including for Virtu) then there is nothing to be concerned about as it will be in low power state.

-Raja

Thanks Raja,

So should I leave it enabled? Because windows detected the video card under device manager. I heard that video encoding programs that uses Intel Quick Sync can take advantage of the igpu, so would it be best to install the drivers for it and have both video cards active at once?

You can use that if you wish to do some encoding. Have a read up of Virtu also, and see if it suits you :)

Hi again, I have another problem... My PCIEX1_1 slot doesnt seem to be working, PCIEX1_2 seems to be working normal (I have xonar dx and that is the only pci express device I have). By not working I mean it doesnt even receive any power from the slot (when sound card is connected to and is receiving power (even if) from only pci express slot there is red light, and in PCIEX1_1 it doest light up. Is there any bios setting which disables PCIEX1_1 slot (I have already tried setting pciex16_3 to all three different setting with no luck). Thank you once again.

Edit: P8Z77-V pro motherboard

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the update on the progress. Going to go with the Pro board and the Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) [CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9]. Will flash the BIOS to 1206 which is current version. I assume thats the same BIOS version you wound up going to?

Hey again.

1205 was the update I flashed to. It's listed as the latest BIOS on the Asus website, per 2012.06.08 (8th of June).

Just flashed my P8Z77V-Pro to the latest bios. 1206.

That fixed my issue with the igpu, it now properly detects my GTX680 and doesn't enable the igpu along side it.

BUT....now I can't get into bios.

Tried 3 different keyboards, 2 USB and 1 PS2. No amount of pounding the DEL key will get me into Bios.

Trying to downgrade to 1015 now.... =(

Just flashed my P8Z77V-Pro to the latest bios. 1206.

BUT....now I can't get into bios.

Tried 3 different keyboards, 2 USB and 1 PS2. No amount of pounding the DEL key will get me into Bios.

Trying to downgrade to 1015 now.... =(

Dan37tz I just flashed to 1206 but I can get into UEFI but only if I use a USB keyboard and pound the crap out of the Delete key. PS/2 keyboard does nothing when I start hitting the DEL key its almost appears to go to booting process. I was at some 0703 BIOS as this is a new motherboard. Normally a PS/2 keyboard will be attached to this computer so I guess I will have to roll the BIOS back to prior version. This is a glaring problem that should of been caught.

SIGH :mad:

P.S. If you are using a PS/2 keyboard one can use F8 on bootup and select Enter Setup. DEL key is useless.

Last edited:
There are controls for thermal protection in the CPU configuration section of UEFI and also CPU VRM current and temp thresholds on some bords in the DIGI+ section. You can set either or all to act as a suitable failsafe.

I don't see where i can set temperature in those sections? is it not available on my MOBO

Can an official Asus guy post about how close the Maximus V Extreme is?? Like do I need to buy a Maximus V Gene to hold me off?

I don't see where i can set temperature in those sections? is it not available on my MOBO

If your mobo does not have those features then just set OCP instead (they all have that). You can also make sure temp is monitored by keeping T.Probe Enabled. That's pretty much all the safety you need.

Last edited:
Using P8Z77-V Pro a 3570K w stock cooler and Corsair Carbide Series 300R case with Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC3-14900 DDR3 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 4GB) running at XMP . This CPU is not overclocked and seems to be idling on the hot side. The Asus and UEFI shows idle temps of 38C when I believe it should be 10c lower at idle should it not? Using the current 1206 BIOS which I discovered has a bug in that DEL from a PS/2 keyboard is not being intercepted properly on POST.

Hi,

Have a problem with P8Z77WS and HBA card - LSI 3041E HBA does not initialize during system boot.

Card is flashed with newest BIOS and firmware. It doesn't matter in which PCIe slot it
is installed, nor which else cards (VGA, RAID) are installed at the same time. This
card initialize without any problems in my other computer (Striker Extreme
motherboard) but not on P8Z77 WS.

I have had the same problem with MegaRAID LSI 9266-8i on P8Z77 WS before. With
motherboard BIOS 703 the problem disappeared.

Any suggestions about the solution beside new BIOS?

Wrote about the problem to ASUS support three weeks ago, got the reply that "your case is moved to R&D" and they'll contact me in "a few working days". Three weeks later there is no followup.

Hi gang, I'm about ready to shoot myself now... have a read:

Today while messing with my setup I found that my idle voltages were incorrect. To get to the point, I eventually wanted to clear the CMOS because something wasn't running right. Even after defaulting everything back to stock and manually inputting all my OC setting, my idle vcore was still not behaving how it once was.

So I set the jumper that clears the CMOS.

However, once the rig posts, it only shows 8 out of the 16GB (4x4GB) of memory as detected. But strangely enough, the SPD tool in the UEFI sees all 4 sticks correctly.

On top of this, the 4 sticks will not run at its rated XMP speed (1866mhz). Anytime I try to put the 8GB detected memory above 1600mhz, the board will give me a 55 code.

I hold down the memOK key, it blinks a few times, computer restarts, and memory will be back at 1333mhz.

The cycle continues. Everytime I use my XMP profile (1866mhz), the computer will not post and give me a 55 code. I use memOK and again, only 8GB is detected and is stuck at 1333mhz. Pushing it beyond 1600mhz doesn't work.

I don't get this. Even after reseating and mixing the 4 sticks around, I'm still not seeing more than 8GB during bootup and any attempt to push the memory to its XMP settings keeps giving me a 55 q-code. The board was working beautifully for over a month with all 16GB detected (the sticks all passed memtest86+ and HCI memtest, both ran for 24 hours).

Perhaps the BIOS is corrupted? I looked into the other settings in the UEFI and I'm no longer able to locate anything related to the iGPU (i.e. iGPU memory size, iGPU idle state, etc etc).

What should I do at this point?

Okay, it gets crazier...

...flashed back to the previous bios through UEFI EZ Flash utility.

No difference at all to the weird ram behaviour. So I flashed backed to the latest bios (0703).

But that's not the crazy part.

Just to test things out, I put in x46 multi in the UEFI but every time I press enter, it goes right back to x35, like some sort of auto-correct function.

So what in the heck is going on here?

Sounds like corrupt EC - bad UEFI flash I think. You will need to RMA the board to get that sorted or see if the RMA dept can get you another BIOS chip instead. Most of the time it's easier just asking for a new board with advanced shipping if your region supports it.

Sounds like corrupt EC - bad UEFI flash I think. You will need to RMA the board to get that sorted or see if the RMA dept can get you another BIOS chip instead. Most of the time it's easier just asking for a new board with advanced shipping if your region supports it.

Sigh. I'm from Canada so naturally shipping things back and forth here isn't that easy. I guess I'll have to write directly to Asus support or something.

Going to leave the battery and have the CMOS jumper set to clear overnight to see if that does anything.

Failing that, I'll try to reseat the CPU. If that doesn't work, it's RMA time...

..except in about 4 day's time, I'm going overseas for 2 months. Have to take care of this thing when I get back :(.

Last edited:
Back