ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Looking for ASUS Z77 motherboard recommendations... I'm planning a new build as I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. My only real requirements are an eSATA port, onboard sound and a decent price. The P8Z77-M Pro looks to fit the bill, but are there an disadvantages with the mATX form factor over the larger motherboards? I'll install in an Antec P180 case, so plenty of room for a larger motherboard...

Thanks for recommendations :)

Last edited:
To Raj or anyone else.

Does this the P8Z77 V LK come with overheat protection....

My previous motherboard had an option in the BIOS to turn off the PC if it hit a certain temp, i can't find it in this bios, unless its under another name.

I have coretemp running, but id rather have it done by my BIOS

There are controls for thermal protection in the CPU configuration section of UEFI and also CPU VRM current and temp thresholds on some bords in the DIGI+ section. You can set either or all to act as a suitable failsafe.

OK, just timed mine and it takes 22 seconds from power-on to when the POST appears to be finished. I think that's longer than you were talking about. I didn't really think anything of it. I have the following:

To compare to yours, I have a P8Z77-V (BIOS 0906), i5-3570K @ stock, 8 GB RAM @1600, 8800GT, Intel 80 G2 SSD, Hitachi 250 GB from 2004 (slow, slow), no DVD.

I'm still playing with this machine. The video card and drives came off my shelf. I plan to use this SSD for caching, and I've configured it that way, which includes RAID mode. I think RAID mode slows things down because of the RAID Option ROM banner, and there is a Post Report feature in the UEFI Boot settings set at 5 seconds.

If you want to see how fast you can possibly boot, I'd say unplug the HDD, the DVD-ROM, use AHCI mode, Post Report to the ESC option, and time that. Without making any changes, it takes about 15 seconds before the ESC prompt is displayed on my system. I don't want to disable RAID as long as I have this caching setup, so I don't know what effect that would have.
Ok, I updated BIOS to 1015 and disable almost everything that I don't use in the BIOS (Asmedia SATA, Serial Port, Intel LAN option ROM(?), etc.). Now it POST a bit faster. I guess my expectation from the start was too high.

Return the system to stock parameters to debug this. If the system passes at stock the issue lies somewhere within the overclock settings. If not, then some kind of peripheral/driver problem.

-Raja
I'm not the only one with this problem. I've read many posts of users with the same problem as me with different specs but same line of Asus motherboard (like this). In the post I link, he only did a modest OC of 4.2Ghz while mine is 4.4Ghz, and even disabling Internal PLL Overvoltage doesn't fix the sleep problem. I don't think we should give up sleep for modest OC like these (maybe for 4.5 and up then yes), but apparently we have to. I think it's a problem inherent in the BIOS/motherboard, which I hope you'll bring it up to Asus headquarters.

I will reset to stock and test sleep tonight when I get home from work. But I definitely won't be staying at stock.

I will reset to stock and test sleep tonight when I get home from work. But I definitely won't be staying at stock.

If the issue does not occur at stock the issue will be down to the OC. This is not common on this platform so you will need to tune it out or chase the offending peripheral/driver on your end. If you find a peripheral or driver with an issue that is up to us to fix I will report it to HQ but you need to debug thoroughly on your end first.

BTW Prime95 is not a good test for IB CPUs at this point. The other thing we have noticed is a lot of people run Prime95 at default Blend parameters which assigns only 1GB or so of memory to the test. Now that users are running 8GB and upwards one should assign all available memory (leave enough for the OS) to the test. In truth I think it is probably wise to avoid Prime considering the patches that IB CPUs have or still need with this program.

If you are using an SSD don't rule out the drive firmware or Intel IRST drivers, this has been an ongoing problem. One last thing I can think of is debugging with a different PSU also. I know there were some Corsair PSUs in the wild that had different pull up times from standby causing issues for some users so another thing to consider.

-Raja

Last edited:
Are you asking about wake from S3, or from hibernate to desktop?

To be honest I have no real idea, it varies from system to system according to what the user has installed, drivers, caching etc etc.

-Raja

Manuel going to sleep and waking it up

Looking for ASUS Z77 motherboard recommendations... I'm planning a new build as I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. My only real requirements are an eSATA port, onboard sound and a decent price. The P8Z77-M Pro looks to fit the bill, but are there an disadvantages with the mATX form factor over the larger motherboards? I'll install in an Antec P180 case, so plenty of room for a larger motherboard...

Thanks for recommendations :)

Definitely the Sabertooth.

I just bought the P8Z77 WS and have five fans setup. Vortex 140 mm on Cha Fan 1, 4x coolermaster 200mm fans on other chasis fan pin. But the fan xpert 2 doesn't allow me to customize the speed of the fan. Am not too concerned about the 200mm fans but i mainly wanted to control the 140mm fan. What do I need to do in order get this working. Also the chasis fan jumper is on the 3 pin fans mode. I have Bios v0601. Not sure what the new bios 0703 does.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me which rear USB 3.0 ports are Intel and which are Asmedia? Which ports support USB charger+?

I'm using the P8Z77-V Pro motherboard.

Last edited:
Check out page 2-3 in the manual and pages 2-17,18,19. The black connectors are 3 Gbps ports on the Intel chipset. The ASMedia ports are the two grey ones. The two brown ports (Intel) and two grey ports (ASMedia) are SATA 3.0 (6 Gbps).

I appreciate the correction. Im at home now and will reexamine my connection. Thanks ^^

Last night I decided to reinstall Windows to rule out any driver\software problem. I also made sure not to install IRST drivers.
Today I went through extensive machine testing, and while testing RAM with memtest86, I found out one module of DRAM is faulty (just one, the other one is rock solid).
I thought "finally! that's the culprit!". I was so happy...but sadly my happiness didn't last long :( I just had another shut down, while running on the single good ram stick, no OC whatsoever, everything at default. :rolleyes:
I guess the mobo must be faulty too...I tried it all!

What do you think Raja?

Last night I decided to reinstall Windows to rule out any driver\software problem. I also made sure not to install IRST drivers.
Today I went through extensive machine testing, and while testing RAM with memtest86, I found out one module of DRAM is faulty (just one, the other one is rock solid).
I thought "finally! that's the culprit!". I was so happy...but sadly my happiness didn't last long :( I just had another shut down, while running on the single good ram stick, no OC whatsoever, everything at default. :rolleyes:
I guess the mobo must be faulty too...I tried it all!

What do you think Raja?

Keep at stock, increase Vcore by around + 0.02V~+0.04V and see if anything changes.

If the issue does not occur at stock the issue will be down to the OC. This is not common on this platform so you will need to tune it out or chase the offending peripheral/driver on your end. If you find a peripheral or driver with an issue that is up to us to fix I will report it to HQ but you need to debug thoroughly on your end first.

BTW Prime95 is not a good test for IB CPUs at this point. The other thing we have noticed is a lot of people run Prime95 at default Blend parameters which assigns only 1GB or so of memory to the test. Now that users are running 8GB and upwards one should assign all available memory (leave enough for the OS) to the test. In truth I think it is probably wise to avoid Prime considering the patches that IB CPUs have or still need with this program.

If you are using an SSD don't rule out the drive firmware or Intel IRST drivers, this has been an ongoing problem. One last thing I can think of is debugging with a different PSU also. I know there were some Corsair PSUs in the wild that had different pull up times from standby causing issues for some users so another thing to consider.

-Raja
Ok, I did several tests last night. I installed the latest version of IRST 11.1 from Intel (even more updated than the one at Asus website). I also made sure that IRST is started before I put my PC to sleep. I did not install the DVD drive in any of the tests. I'm not sure if pressing the power button vs pressing the keyboard to wakeup is any difference, so I did 2 tests per setup (except the last two because it was so late so I have to sleep).

Here are the results:

testwakeup.png

My theories:
1) Enabling hotplug will definitely cause wakeup to fail.
2) The motherboard (or PSU) doesn't have enough power to wakeup from sleep if an additional hard drive is used.

Unfortunately, I don't have another power supply to test the PSU part of theory (2).

Last edited:
Hia all.

Just installed my system with a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe and and Intel 520 SSD.

Ive tried both Sata3 controllers but still have a strange problem.
When i run speed tests on the SSD disk i get seq Read ~ 475MB/s but only seq write ~ 170MB/s.

I have downloaded the latest chipsetdrivers and made sure drives are set to AHCI in bios.
Right now the SSD is connected to the Intel controller.
Can this be a driver issue and i have to wait for a fix or do you guys have any other idéa what might be causing this?

Cheers
Jimmie

Last edited:
Keep at stock, increase Vcore by around + 0.02V~+0.04V and see if anything changes.

Just installed a different PSU, an Enermax MODU 82+ 525w instead of the Corsair. Just to rule out more things. I read of many users having troubles with Asus mobos (not only of z77 family) and Corsair PSUs!
Let's see...

I have just bought a Asus P8Z77-V and have it up and running but on all the other Asus mobo,s ive used there has been a section in the bios were you could select wether to start PC from the keyboard or with the mouse, its one of the reasons i like Asus boards. I have looked through the bios but cant find it, can you help with this< Thanks

Any update on this from last week Raja? I also ensured that write-caching was disabled on the two drives in the external eSATA enclosure and no change.

Thanks

Regarding my eSATA hot swap enclosure, I discovered something just now.

If I disable the ASMedia Option ROM in the UEFI, I can now turn the enclosure on in Windows and the drives appear (hot swap works).

The only issue now is that I cannot "safely remove" one of the drives in the enclosure, the other will safely remove fine. If I power the unit down in Windows (after safely removing the one drive) and power it back on, the drives do not reappear.

Since I only power the unit it on once every 2 weeks, it's not a huge deal as I reboot more often than that anyway. Just thought I'd update you Raja.

Nope...changing the PSU didn't work. Still had a shut down a minute ago.
So: it's not the psu, it's not the ram, it's not the software\drivers...I also guess it's not the cpu. I think I might really consider the RMA.
Raja, I live in Italy, how does Asus operate here for the RMA? What should I do?

Thank you!

I have just bought a Asus P8Z77-V and have it up and running but on all the other Asus mobo,s ive used there has been a section in the bios were you could select wether to start PC from the keyboard or with the mouse, its one of the reasons i like Asus boards. I have looked through the bios but cant find it, can you help with this< Thanks

I have the exact motherboard. And I'm pretty sure there are no such options in the BIOS. I went to each and every section to disable anything I don't need just to speed up my POST time, and I don't see any option to turn the PC on using keyboard/mouse.

Yes there is, I have keyboard combo CTRL-Esc to start computer.

APM options is the right place to look.

Just installed a different PSU, an Enermax MODU 82+ 525w instead of the Corsair. Just to rule out more things. I read of many users having troubles with Asus mobos (not only of z77 family) and Corsair PSUs!
Let's see...

Should not make any difference at idle, the issues you speak of were with S3 resume.

Please change Vcore and let me know - keep all else the same.

BTW, i am off work for a couple of days now but will try and get back to you guys ASAP if possible.

-Raja

I assume it is a fresh install with no additional drivers etc?

EDIT: One thing to try, can you offset CPU Vcore by around +0.02V please?

-Raja

OK, I'll give that a shot. I really didn't think trying the other RAM would make a difference, it's just that I hadn't had the issue happen in the limited time I tried using that RAM, so I decided what the heck.

Well, it didn't matter. :) It worked ok on Friday, but today it turned off on me during the first hour of use. I confirmed it still wouldn't turn on from the on-board power button, and I thought to try pulling the Q-connector off in case it was some case short, but it still wouldn't turn on from the on-board button at that point. Plugged it back in, powered off the PSU, it's on again now. I'll try the Vcore. Also went back to 2 sticks of the Samsung.

Regarding the install question, if you mean if this was a fresh install when I put the system together, yes. If you mean have I reinstalled since I started talking about these issues, no. If you think it could be something SW related that causes the power off and then not being able to turn on until I turn off the PSU, I could try a fresh install to a HDD and remove the Intel 520 SSD.

I have the exact motherboard. And I'm pretty sure there are no such options in the BIOS. I went to each and every section to disable anything I don't need just to speed up my POST time, and I don't see any option to turn the PC on using keyboard/mouse.
I thought i had gone through every option in bios setup but jaska915 is correct it is there. Found it here,

Enter bios make sure your in advanced mode, then scroll along top selections to advanced, click on it, then select APM from the menu that opens and you will find start from space key.

Have a weird one for the collective.

Built my machine a few weeks ago, no real hitches to speak of. However in the past week or so I've noticed that it won't cold boot without asking me to confirm BIOS settings. Warm boots are fine, no prompt. Strange. It won't save anything, and the time has been off lately too. I'm obviously leaning towards a dead battery, but the board isn't even a month old. For the first week or so I was using the first release bios, and then updated it to 0813. Only real significant change I can think of.

I don't think I've ever had a battery go dead in a board inside of a month, but I guess it's possible. Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this. Board is a Maximus V Gene.

I am having the same random shutdown problem as Hendrix83, laukinisvilkas and bitgod.

System specs are in my signature.

The PC has been up and running for a few days now and the shutdown problem only started today. Twice so far. Once when the PC was idle and I was out at the store. When I came home it was off and I had to turn the PSU off and on to get the PC to turn back on.

The second time was while playing Diablo 3. Everything is at stock and temps are great.

The only thing that changed was I installed the Asus AI Suite II lastnight prior to shutting down for the night. I am uninstalling that to see if that is somehow causing the problem.

It still turned off on me with the +.02 offset, currently bumped to +.04 for testing.

Vcore Offset to +0.05 and still shut down Raja.:mad:
Bitgod and I have a very different configuration, but have the exact same problem. The only similar thing is the Asus Z77 motherboard...if 1+1 makes 2... :rolleyes:

Pc was randomly turning off at stock and when OC, it made no difference. Now somehow, and I seriously do not know why or how, random reboots just stopped. Nothing disabled apart from c3/c6 and asus anti-surge protection. And all of us are using different components while having the same problems, the only thing which connects us all is asus motherboard and ivy bridge cpu. Are all of us using 3770k? edit: "Hedrix83" is using 2500k so cpu is also out of equation...

It could have been coincidence since this problem only just started for me yesterday but I uninstalled the AI Suite II software and left my PC on all night. Woke up this morning and it was still on and did NOT reboot.

Now to see if it stays on all day too

So this morning I woke up and noticed I had a warning from AI Suite saying my +12V rail was measured as ~24 volts. I checked the log and it said yesterday the measurement hit a little over 24 volts and then went back to 12 volts (within the same minute, timestamp didn't go down to seconds in the gui).

I also noticed the 5V rail went to 0 volts then back to 5 volts (within the same minute).

Also, the motherboard temperature sensor was reading -60C... Not sure what that is all about.

I'm very slightly overclocked, mostly because i'm lazy, at ~4.2 Ghz on a i3570k, P8Z77-V Pro.

Any thoughts on this? My power supply isn't that old, and is a decent corsair 650W.

edit: There were some power surges in my house yesterday, i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. My computer's run through a power conditioner connected to an active UPS, so I wouldn't think that would let any of the spikes, etc, through

Last edited:
I was getting a lot of false alarms regarding my case fans with the AI Suite. The way my case is, I can easily see the fans at any time. As soon as I would receive an error stating a fan was at 0 RPM I would look at it and clearly see it was operating fine.

These false alarms are one of the main reasons I suspected the AI Suite to be the shutdown culprit.

Vcore Offset to +0.05 and still shut down Raja.:mad:
Bitgod and I have a very different configuration, but have the exact same problem. The only similar thing is the Asus Z77 motherboard...if 1+1 makes 2... :rolleyes:

RMA is last option.

So this morning I woke up and noticed I had a warning from AI Suite saying my +12V rail was measured as ~24 volts. I checked the log and it said yesterday the measurement hit a little over 24 volts and then went back to 12 volts (within the same minute, timestamp didn't go down to seconds in the gui).

I also noticed the 5V rail went to 0 volts then back to 5 volts (within the same minute).

Also, the motherboard temperature sensor was reading -60C... Not sure what that is all about.

I'm very slightly overclocked, mostly because i'm lazy, at ~4.2 Ghz on a i3570k, P8Z77-V Pro.

Any thoughts on this? My power supply isn't that old, and is a decent corsair 650W.

edit: There were some power surges in my house yesterday, i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. My computer's run through a power conditioner connected to an active UPS, so I wouldn't think that would let any of the spikes, etc, through

Sounds like you are running another monitoring tool at the same time as AI Suite. HWinfo32, CPU-Z, AIDA - anything like this will cause misreads with AI suite as both tools poll the super io at the same time. Fix is to use just one tool or disable monitoring in one of the tools

Sounds like you are running another monitoring tool at the same time as AI Suite. HWinfo32, CPU-Z, AIDA - anything like this will cause misreads with AI suite as both tools poll the super io at the same time. Fix is to use just one tool or disable monitoring in one of the tools

For me, this is accurate. I run AIDA so that explains the false alarms.

So far, since I've uninstalled AI Suite I have not had a random shutdown. Up time as of this writing is 13:48. I don't plan on rebooting or shutting down until I'm confident the problem is resolved.

Perhaps multiple monitoring tools running could be causing a conflict resulting in random shutdowns and/or reboots?

My computer's run through a power conditioner connected to an active UPS, so I wouldn't think that would let any of the spikes, etc, through

This happens to me too, AI Suite keeps giving me this kind of warnings, although other softwares says the voltages are perfectly normal.

It's important to notice that AI suite gives such messages with bot PSUs I tested the PC with (although it's more frequent with the Corsair HX650 than with the Enermax Modu+).

Also my pc is running through an UPS, so I think it receives very "clean" current.

It could have been coincidence since this problem only just started for me yesterday but I uninstalled the AI Suite II software and left my PC on all night. Woke up this morning and it was still on and did NOT reboot.

Now to see if it stays on all day too

I had too the sensation that Ai suite was causing all this mess, but didn't try to unsistall it until now. I'll do it straight away and let's see if it changes anything. I'll keep only Fan Xpert

For me, this is accurate. I run AIDA so that explains the false alarms.

So far, since I've uninstalled AI Suite I have not had a random shutdown. Up time as of this writing is 13:48. I don't plan on rebooting or shutting down until I'm confident the problem is resolved.

Perhaps multiple monitoring tools running could be causing a conflict resulting in random shutdowns and/or reboots?

I'm also using AIDA in parallel with Ai Suite...maybe that could cause the problem as you said.
Raja, are there any chance it could be a software conflict causing reboots\shut downs?

Back