ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Hey guys, regarding the Z77 Sabertooth, does anyone know if I'm gonna get any clearance issues using a Geforce GTX 680, Xonar Essence STX sound-card, and Noctua NH-C14 cpu-cooler, because of the Thermal Armor?

Supposed to be on sale in places already they are selling out as soon as they land I am told. Keep an eye on Newegg, should be another batch landing soon.

-Raja

Nice! I hope I can get one of these sometime next week. The P8Z77-I looks awesome.

I see that a Noctua NH-D14 will fit on this, any idea if a Thermalright Silver Arrow will? The heatsink portion of the Thermalright is ~4mm lower (40.87mm vs 44mm) than the Noctua. I'm concerned that it might not clear the daughterboard.

I'm looking to buy a Asus board but it's a paradox of choices. I'd like a simple overview of all Z77 models where it's clear what exactly is added / what is it you pay extra for. Tried to simplify my search by going with looks ans V Gene being the only red one I chose that but looking into it I don't really need integrated sound and MPCIE (no idea what to use that for) and who knows what else is extra on this board. mATX is ok but I'm going with a ATX size case so doesn't matter what size the board is. I'm going with one discrete graphics card and USB DAC and going to overclock to a "reasonable" level, for starters.

I found the http://www.asus.com/Compare/ feature but it's still too hard for me to make any sense of it.

Added some more to the lists, sorted by price:

P8Z77-M (mATX)
P8Z77-V-LX
P8Z77-M-PRO (mATX)
P8Z77-V-LK
P8Z77-V
MAXIMUS-V-GENE
P8Z77-V-PRO
P8Z77-I-DELUXE
SABERTOOTH-Z77
P8Z77-V-DELUXE

P8Z77 WS can't find this one in retailers

Could someone help how to easily compare these?

If you could answer this one I would appreciate it.

Which SATA ports are faster on the P8Z77-V Deluxe? The 6G Intel or the 6G Marvell?

Primary purpose would be to hold the SSD boot drive.

Intel AFAIK.

I would say Intel, hopefully I can test it for you tomorrow. :) The way I've got mine setup is my system SSD is on an Intel SATA3 port, and then I decided to throw money to the wind and put a small SSD + SATA3 HDD on the Marvell to let the SSD do the hybrid cache. That HDD will have my games on it. I'll have another slower storage HDD on an Intel SATA2 port.

The one annoying thing about the Deluxe that I didn't know until my 4th or 5th look at the manual was reading that the eSATA ports aren't supposed to be used with ATAPI devices. That was one of the reasons I prefer a mobo with 2 eSATA ports, like my P55 has, one port has a HDD dock on it, and the other has a BD burner in an external enclosure. Since I maybe use optical media twice a year, I skipped putting in an optical drive in my new system.

I'll test the ports out to confirm, but since I read that, I ended up putting in one of those SATA to eSATA brackets that I luckily already had from an external enclosure kit and I'll use that for the BD burner.

Thanks, let me know what you find out. I was reading on one of the sites that they found the Marvell to be faster. Other sites didn't mention which ports they were using for the testing so it's hard to compare numbers (bad... bad.. reviewers).

So far everything has been pointing me to use the Marvell's (since one site specifically said it was faster). Also for RAID purposes... as I am thinking about putting a single SSD as Boot on the Marvell in SATA mode, and setting the Intel as RAID mode (since you loose some chipset features in RAID mode in regards to SSD, it would help to seperate the SSD from the controller running RAID). But, this setup would be much more plausible/desired if I can verify the Marvel is faster. I won't have a CPU to test this out on for a while yet, so if I hear something solid before then that would be awesome. If not I'll post my findings.

I'm looking to buy a Asus board but it's a paradox of choices. I'd like a simple overview of all Z77 models where it's clear what exactly is added / what is it you pay extra for. Tried to simplify my search by going with looks ans V Gene being the only red one I chose that but looking into it I don't really need integrated sound and MPCIE (no idea what to use that for) and who knows what else is extra on this board. mATX is ok but I'm going with a ATX size case so doesn't matter what size the board is. I'm going with one discrete graphics card and USB DAC and going to overclock to a "reasonable" level, for starters.

I found the http://www.asus.com/Compare/ feature but it's still too hard for me to make any sense of it.

Added some more to the lists, sorted by price:

P8Z77-M (mATX)
P8Z77-V-LX
P8Z77-M-PRO (mATX)
P8Z77-V-LK
P8Z77-V
MAXIMUS-V-GENE
P8Z77-V-PRO
P8Z77-I-DELUXE
SABERTOOTH-Z77
P8Z77-V-DELUXE

P8Z77 WS can't find this one in retailers

Could someone help how to easily compare these?

One tool I found was to compare on an online retailer like Newegg, that way you can also compare across brands. For ASUS Z77, start out with a search like this and check boxes that you want to compare against.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600093976%20600315497&IsNodeId=1&name=ASUS#

Let's say you're going to go with an ATX form and not a mATX (no reason to run a cramped MB if you dont need to). That would cut out the mATX boards right off the bat (since you typically loose slots/features for not much if any break in the price). This would trim the list down to these 8... (listed by price even).

P8Z77-V-LX
P8Z77-V-LK
P8Z77-V-LE
P8Z77-V
P8Z77-V-PRO

These 5 are similar w/ minor tweaks afaik, so it's probably best to just check them all out yourself to see what you need and what you dont.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600093976%20600315497%20600009016&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=280%7C13%2D131%2D819%5E13%2D131%2D819%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D820%5E13%2D131%2D820%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D823%5E13%2D131%2D823%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D837%5E13%2D131%2D837%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D824%5E13%2D131%2D824%2DTS

In addition to the 5 previously mentioned, the next 3 stand out from the crowd a bit when it comes to features. I'm extremly paraphasing here but basically...

SABERTOOTH-Z77 <-Thermal armor, eSATA, No Wifi.
P8Z77-V-DELUXE <- This is the 'everything and the kitchen sink' model (lots of connectors, has BT & WiFi, and is probably the 'most complete' model)
P8Z77 WS <- This is to run 4 PCIE Video Cards... not mentioning anything else, because if you don't need to run 4 video cards, you really don't need this model.

check out the comparision here...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600093976%20600315497%20600009016&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=280%7C13%2D131%2D822%5E13%2D131%2D822%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D818%5E13%2D131%2D818%2DTS%2C13%2D131%2D821%5E13%2D131%2D821%2DTS

Hope this helps you out...

Last edited:
One tool I found...
Thanks, I'll check it out! You gave me an idea; I'll use the method of exclusion to start with. Once I've eliminated the ones I know I don't want it should leave a more manageable list.

Hi guys. Does anyone know why i cannot get any settings in the ai tweaker to save? I keep chaing the cpu settings, and at the top of the bios it will read " 3900ghz" but when i go to save and exit, upon restart, nothing is saved. IT ALWAYS reverts back to 3.3. What am i missing? ive tried 20x and it always reverts back to stock. :(

I can not find anywhere any info about power consumption of P8Z77-V PRO, because it has some power saving "techniques" but there is no mention if it actually helps. Does sabertooth z77 provide any better overclocking potential than P8Z77-V pro? Because I need wi-fi and sabertooth costs around 25$ and and comes with warranty of 3 years (same as pro). Btw in case I go sabertooth z77 does it have any clearance issues with SilverArrow SB-E? Thank you.

Hi guys. Does anyone know why i cannot get any settings in the ai tweaker to save? I keep chaing the cpu settings, and at the top of the bios it will read " 3900ghz" but when i go to save and exit, upon restart, nothing is saved. IT ALWAYS reverts back to 3.3. What am i missing? ive tried 20x and it always reverts back to stock. :(

I believe you need to go to the UEFI to make the settings persistent. Changes in Windows will not survived a reboot. At least as far as I understand it.

Hello RAJA!

Thanks for your presence here.

Is the Fan Xpert 2 Suite only available for the Maximus V Gene or can I also use it for the other Z77 MoBos like the P8Z77-M [Pro]?

And is there any overview available which an tell me the differences between the Fan Xpert2 and the Fan Xpert+ versions?

I can not find anywhere any info about power consumption of P8Z77-V PRO, because it has some power saving "techniques" but there is no mention if it actually helps. Does sabertooth z77 provide any better overclocking potential than P8Z77-V pro? Because I need wi-fi and sabertooth costs around 25$ and and comes with warranty of 3 years (same as pro). Btw in case I go sabertooth z77 does it have any clearance issues with SilverArrow SB-E? Thank you.
I just put together a system with the pro board. If I can find my watt meter I'll try to post up some power numbers.

How essential is the 35mm fan near the PCI-E Slots on the Sabertooth Z77?

I ask this because I will have dual double slot video cards and a TV tuner. I'm not sure whatever to put the tuner on the 1x slot closest to the CPU which and remove the fan or put the other 1x slots and the tuner will be directly on top of my video card possibly obstructing the airflow of the video card.

Hello RAJA!

Thanks for your presence here.

Is the Fan Xpert 2 Suite only available for the Maximus V Gene or can I also use it for the other Z77 MoBos like the P8Z77-M [Pro]?

And is there any overview available which an tell me the differences between the Fan Xpert2 and the Fan Xpert+ versions?

Fan Xpert II is available on the Standard, Pro and Deluxe models, too. The M-Pro gets Xpert+ from what I can see which gives full control of each header in software. Xpert II adds auto calibration routines.

-Raja

What do u mean? I just plug in to USB port and that's it. Good in WIndows but blinks in DOS and other boot applications

Accept input means can you actually use it in UEFI to make entry, like typing etc, or using the keys, make sense?

Well good news. Even though in the manual (for the deluxe) in the specs section for the eSATA ports it says "* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported", well as it turned out, my BD burner in an external enclosure worked fine with the built-in port

Raja-

Are the quantity and location of temperature sensors identical between the pro, deluxe, and sabertooth?

What is the ETA for the Z77 rog extreme?

Raja arleady replied about ROG variant. It will be by the end of month\next month... So it was confirmed!!!

Raja-

Are the quantity and location of temperature sensors identical between the pro, deluxe, and sabertooth?

What is the ETA for the Z77 rog extreme?

Pro and Deluxe should be same, Sabertooth is based on a different design.

Maximus Formula will be next to release, should be some time this month (early June at latest).

Which mATX boards have the TB header? Is it only the Maximus V Gene and the P8H77-M PRO boards?

Raja-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNRz5Omom8
This Asus video for fan xpert 2 only shows temperature sensors for cpu and motherboard. On the Z68 pro, all fans were controlled off the cpu temperature sensor. I am looking for a motherboard with a temperature sensor near the video cards that can be used to control fan speed.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMzNDkxODc0MGdPTGkzcFlTTVRfMl8zX2wuZ2lm
This screencap for Sabertooth Z77 shows a plethora of temperature sensors, which is tits. Can fans be assigned to the temperature sensor(s) near the video cards? If yes, are there any other boards in the Z77 lineup that can do this?

Raja-

This Asus video for fan xpert 2 only shows temperature sensors for cpu and motherboard. On the Z68 pro, all fans were controlled off the cpu temperature sensor. I am looking for a motherboard with a temperature sensor near the video cards that can be used to control fan speed.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMzNDkxODc0MGdPTGkzcFlTTVRfMl8zX2wuZ2lm
This screencap for Sabertooth Z77 shows a plethora of temperature sensors, which is tits. Can fans be assigned to the temperature sensor(s) near the video cards? If yes, are there any other boards in the Z77 lineup that can do this?

For the Sabertooth they can. In fact, you can set up a weighted average of up to 3 sensors to do this. I do the same thing - setting a fan based on GPU temp. I use the USB3.0 sensor for that.

Raja-

No, that level of control is specific to the Sabertooth - the cooling options are one of the things centric to the Sabertooth boards.

No, that level of control is specific to the Sabertooth - the cooling options are one of the things centric to the Sabertooth boards.

Now you guys just need to fix the software that at times just forces my fans to operate at the min point of the curve when I boot up. -.-

Now you guys just need to fix the software that at times just forces my fans to operate at the min point of the curve when I boot up. -.-

That's probably down to the OS starting up and waiting for the profile to be loaded. Not sure it can be fixed.

New Build Memory Issue.

- MB - Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
- CPU - Ivy Bridge 3770k
- Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO
- MEM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 CML16GX3M4A1600C9
- PSU - Corsair 650HX Pro

I am unable to post with more than one memory stick installed. Adding more than one stick gives me Q-Code 55 (Memory not installed).
I can only get the computer to post if I install one memory stick in slot A2 (Single Channel). I checked all memory by installing them one
by one in slot A2 and was able to post with each of them. If I use any other slot I get Q-Code 55 & no post.

Last edited:
New Build Memory Issue.

I am unable to post with more than one memory stick installed. Adding more than one stick gives me Q-Code 55 (Memory not installed).
I can only get the computer to post if I install one memory stick in slot A2 (Single Channel). I checked all memory by installing them one
by one in slot A2 and was able to post with each of them. If I use any other slot I get Q-Code 55 & no post.

Not sure what CPU you are using or cooler.

1) Remove power from the board and reseat CPU, check for any bent pins in the socket.

2) POST with a DIMM in A2 again, go into UEFI and manually set memory frequency to DDR3-1333 for now and go into the DRAM timing section and disable MRC Fast BOOT. Save and exit UEFI, let the system POST, and when it does press del to enter UEFI.

3) When in UEFI, power down the board and remove power (switch off at mains AC). Add a second module and lets see if it POSTs. If not, something deeper is amiss..

-Raja

Not sure what CPU you are using or cooler.

1) Remove power from the board and reseat CPU, check for any bent pins in the socket.

2) POST with a DIMM in A2 again, go into UEFI and manually set memory frequency to DDR3-1333 for now and go into the DRAM timing section and disable MRC Fast BOOT. Save and exit UEFI, let the system POST, and when it does press del to enter UEFI.

3) When in UEFI, power down the board and remove power (switch off at mains AC). Add a second module and lets see if it POSTs. If not, something deeper is amiss..

-Raja

I did as you said and still can't post with more than one memory stick. Same Q-Code 55.

- CPU - Ivy Bridge 3770k
- HSF - Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO

I did as you said and still can't post with more than one memory stick. Same Q-Code 55.

- CPU - Ivy Bridge 3770k
- HSF - Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO

One last thing you can try is updating UEFI to the latest version using the slot that works and see if anything changes. If no change and there is no visible damage to the socket and that cooler is not warping or shorting against the board in any way, then RMA is the only other thing I can suggest.

I am getting the qcode 55 as well with my new Gene V. I tried my new 3770k and my old 2700k, same results. I cannot even get it to boot with 1 stick of RAM. I am using the same RAM I used in my Gene IV (G.Skill 1600). The system just sits there at code 55... I have never actually been able to get it to POST at all.

Back