ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Raja@ASUS

ASUS Community Support
This is the official go to thread for all ASUS Z77 motherboard questions, UEFI updates, tips and tricks!

Post away!

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l34d6j6c4wqfx69/Z77_UEFI_OC_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Maximus 5 Gene Overclocking Guide/Tips:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1p63cctaoap6gtt/M5Gguide.zip

Motherboard Overview Videos on Youtube:

1. P8Z77-V Deluxe - http://youtu.be/GDqpO-S-4Xs
2. P8Z77-I Deluxe - http://youtu.be/oC5urB5NoBU
3. P8Z77 WS - http://youtu.be/DNUph3VxNh0
4. Sabertooth Z77 TUF - http://youtu.be/w9t8MIlNGzc
5. Maximus V Gene - http://youtu.be/NOq2jEwjonE
6. GTX680 3-Way SLI on ASUS Z77 - http://youtu.be/XVCzqgkBeSE

Last edited:
Thanks for making yourself available here.

Do you know if the P8Z77-V Pro board comes with an expansion card containing an eSATA port (plus USB ports)? I've seen pictures showing it, but the parts list/spec doesn't seem to show it.

Thanks

My max v gene came in today! Now all i need is my 2600k from the microcenter sale and new case and it's system building time. Eager to play with this mobo.

Installed a Sabertooth Z77 with a 2500k this weekend. Easiest board I have ever overclocked.

As a side note, I haven't been able to get Ai Charger+ or USB Charger+ to charge my Transformer Prime. USB Charger+ recognizes that the device is a ASUS, but doesn't kick out any juice. Think there might be an update to address this at some point?

PS. It works fine on an iPad 2 and Nexus S phone

I know it's not the purpose of this thread, but can you comment on P8Z77-I Deluxe availability?
And just to make this a legitimate support question :))): it's my understanding that the Z77-I will not support T-Topology in the RAM due to its only having one DIMM per channel. Is this an accurate conclusion?

Installed a Sabertooth Z77 with a 2500k this weekend. Easiest board I have ever overclocked.

As a side note, I haven't been able to get Ai Charger+ or USB Charger+ to charge my Transformer Prime. USB Charger+ recognizes that the device is a ASUS, but doesn't kick out any juice. Think there might be an update to address this at some point?

PS. It works fine on an iPad 2 and Nexus S phone

Which USB port are you using for charging the Android Device and also which version of BIOS + Ai Suite?

-Raja

That is a real nice guide right there.

Well written and easy to understand. Awewsome. Thanks.:D

I know it's not the purpose of this thread, but can you comment on P8Z77-I Deluxe availability?
And just to make this a legitimate support question :))): it's my understanding that the Z77-I will not support T-Topology in the RAM due to its only having one DIMM per channel. Is this an accurate conclusion?

No idea on the Deluxe-I availability off the top of my head, will find out if possible.

You are correct on T-Topology, the ITX layout only has one slot per channel, so no need.

-Raja

No idea on the Deluxe-I availability off the top of my head, will find out if possible.

You are correct on T-Topology, the ITX layout only has one slot per channel, so no need.

-Raja

How about pricing? lol Is it really going to be ~$230?

Supposed to be on sale in places already they are selling out as soon as they land I am told. Keep an eye on Newegg, should be another batch landing soon.

-Raja

Which USB port are you using for charging the Android Device and also which version of BIOS + Ai Suite?

-Raja

Hmmm... How to describe this... I'm using the same port that the Sabertooth uses for USB Flashback. It's the only port that detects a device in USB Charger+. Currently running 0906 UEFI and the Ai Suite on the Asus support page

Last edited:
Hmmm... How to describe this... I'm using the same port that the Sabertooth uses for USB Flashback. It's the only port that detects a device in USB Charger+. Currently running 0906 UEFI and the Ai Suite on the Asus support page

Is the keyboard dock connected to the Prime?

That is a real nice guide right there.

Well written and easy to understand. Awewsome. Thanks.:D

Even better, it applies to all of ASUS' Z-chipset motherboards (from enthusiast to budget) - while components differ from motherboard to motherboard, the UEFI implementation does not. Therefore it's no harder (in general terms) to overclock on a P8Z77 V-LX vs. a Maximus V Extreme via UEFI settings.

Also, it's of few enough pages to be printed as a *cheat sheet* for builders/upgraders.

When you say no juice you mean no charging at all or that the device is not seen by the OS when fast charging is enabled?

No juice meaning no charging. I'm able to read and write to internal storage just fine

Are the back USB3 port always on? My external WD 2TB harddrive never shut down/always active when I shut down my P8Z77-V 906 bios build. On my HP laptop when I shutdown, the external also shutdown/is not active

Does your PSU support ErP/EUP? If so enable ErP in the APM section of UEFI and that will limit standby current to 5V.

No juice meaning no charging. I'm able to read and write to internal storage just fine

Okay, will relay this back to HQ for replication. As far as I am aware charging should take place when the battery of TP is below 70%. With the keyboard dock removed, what happens when you plug the tablet into the fast charge port when the battery is below 70%?

Okay, will relay this back to HQ for replication. As far as I am aware charging should take place when the battery of TP is below 70%. With the keyboard dock removed, what happens when you plug the tablet into the fast charge port when the battery is below 70%?

Not sure, I'll try it when I get home and report back. Thanks for all the help!

Hi,

Will ASUS be providing the specifications for this board pre release. I'm needing a new Z77 board and its kinda hard to make an informed decision without all the info.

Thanks

Hi,

Will ASUS be providing the specifications for this board pre release. I'm needing a new Z77 board and its kinda hard to make an informed decision without all the info.

Thanks

The specs will be released before it is on shelves I think.

Hey Raja, when can we expect the equivalent Z77 ROG Maximus or Rampage ATX boards to be released? I would love to go ASUS, but unless we get some news soon regarding ETA I am probably going to defer to my second choice, being the gigabyte G1 sniper board.

How does one get fan xpert2 to apply fan settings on boot up? My selected profile only activates if I go into fan xpert2 on every reboot and click the "standard" button. If I don't do that the fans spin at the BIOS controlled speeds. Is that a known issue?

Thanks for the info, not sure I can wait that long though :(

Curious about this as well, and Raja can you answer my post (2nd in thread):

Do you know if the P8Z77-V Pro board comes with an expansion card containing an eSATA port (plus USB ports)? I've seen pictures showing it, but the parts list/spec doesn't seem to show it.

Thanks

Curious about this as well, and Raja can you answer my post (2nd in thread):

Thanks

You mean an e-SATA and USB BRACKET (not expansion card)? I will ask if a bracket is included.

Thanks

If you download the product manual, you will find the "bracket" listed in there, so it is supplied with the motherboard.

-Raja

How does one get fan xpert2 to apply fan settings on boot up? My selected profile only activates if I go into fan xpert2 on every reboot and click the "standard" button. If I don't do that the fans spin at the BIOS controlled speeds. Is that a known issue?

Which board and which version of AI Suite?

If you download the product manual, you will find the "bracket" listed in there, so it is supplied with the motherboard.

-Raja

Thanks, last time I looked only the French and Chinese manuals were on the Asus website, I now see English there.

cheers

If you could answer this one I would appreciate it.

Which SATA ports are faster on the P8Z77-V Deluxe? The 6G Intel or the 6G Marvell?

Primary purpose would be to hold the SSD boot drive.

If you could answer this one I would appreciate it.

Which SATA ports are faster on the P8Z77-V Deluxe? The 6G Intel or the 6G Marvell?

Primary purpose would be to hold the SSD boot drive.

Intel AFAIK.

I would say Intel, hopefully I can test it for you tomorrow. :) The way I've got mine setup is my system SSD is on an Intel SATA3 port, and then I decided to throw money to the wind and put a small SSD + SATA3 HDD on the Marvell to let the SSD do the hybrid cache. That HDD will have my games on it. I'll have another slower storage HDD on an Intel SATA2 port.

The one annoying thing about the Deluxe that I didn't know until my 4th or 5th look at the manual was reading that the eSATA ports aren't supposed to be used with ATAPI devices. That was one of the reasons I prefer a mobo with 2 eSATA ports, like my P55 has, one port has a HDD dock on it, and the other has a BD burner in an external enclosure. Since I maybe use optical media twice a year, I skipped putting in an optical drive in my new system.

I'll test the ports out to confirm, but since I read that, I ended up putting in one of those SATA to eSATA brackets that I luckily already had from an external enclosure kit and I'll use that for the BD burner.

Not sure, I'll try it when I get home and report back. Thanks for all the help!

Hi Raja,

I tried everything that you mentioned. I even did a fresh installation of Windows just to make sure there wasn't some driver or something getting in the way.

What I noticed is that it seemed to be trickle charging. Only gaining a few % of battery power per hour. The battery indicators on the tablet itself never indicate that its charging.

Looking forward to hearing from the team

Back