ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Are 3-pin fans controllable from the CHA_FAN1 & CHA_FAN2 connectors on a P8Z77-V LE?

CPU fan headers on Asus boards, mine and apparently yours as well can control only PWM fans, it'll ignore all controll attempt with none PWM fans

if you connect your fans to chassis header (using splitter to get 2 fans on one header) then mobo will control them

it's the reason I've swapped my Noctua NF-B9 to NF-B9 PWM, before that I had PWM_case fans on CPU_header, and none_PWM_cpu fans on chassis header ;) it was working but it was not pretty

using chassis header is not that bad for temporary solution, since this header it's also controlled by CPU temp
Thanks for the info... I was hoping for a clean solution but I guess I'll have to dig out the fan splitter from my last build. Hopefully the new Corsair fans that are coming out will have PWM and be comparable to the AP-15's, so I can upgrade to those.

Does a single DIMM POST in any of the slots after CMOS clear? And which board? What is the part number on those modules and which revision number?

Thx

I tried with a single DIMM in any of the 4 slot -> no luck
Motherboard is Maximus V Gene ( Z77 )
The part number on the modules are the following :
- CMT8GX3M2A1866C9
- Corsair Dominator GT
- Timings : 9-10-9-27
- Nominal Voltage : 1.50V
- ver8.16
- s/n : 121305884

I'm desperate :-/

I tried with a single DIMM in any of the 4 slot -> no luck
Motherboard is Maximus V Gene ( Z77 )
The part number on the modules are the following :
- CMT8GX3M2A1866C9
- Corsair Dominator GT
- Timings : 9-10-9-27
- Nominal Voltage : 1.50V
- ver8.16
- s/n : 121305884

I'm desperate :-/

Can you flash to the latest beta BIOS using USB BIOS flashback please and see if that makes any difference?

OK I will try this but on the asus website I can only find real BIOSes and not beta BIOS

I found v 0701, can you tell me which version is the latest beta BIOS and where to download it?

Thank you very much

I can't overclock above 4.4GHz without risking system instability on intel's burn test. This is on the Sabertooth Z77

I can run all day long with these settings:
Extreme Power Phase Management
High Load Line Calibration
1.15 V core
100 BCLCK
44 Multiplier
1.575v Memory
All 4 slots filled with G.Skill 4x4 (16GB) 1833 memory. (Runs @ 2000)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus in push / pull config

Soon as I go with a 103 BCLCK (4532MHz), no matter what voltage (up to 1.32 Vcore-load), power phase, or load line calibration I use, I can't get Intel's burn test to run stable for more than 10 minutes.

And yes I have modulation off.

Ivy Bridge is a pain in the tail to overclock. But Maybe I just got a bad 3770k. I'm debating getting a Corsair H80 to tame this beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the 1015 bios on my deluxe, didn't help with my 4x4 Corsairs, still failed an Maximum IBT fairly quickly. Going to try some Samsungs next.

Can you flash to the latest beta BIOS using USB BIOS flashback please and see if that makes any difference?

how should I name the file for the BIOS on the USB stick (for my Maximus 5 gene) ?

R5G.CAP ??

i'm confused with the renaming thing... thanks

Installed the 1015 bios on my deluxe, didn't help with my 4x4 Corsairs, still failed an Maximum IBT fairly quickly. Going to try some Samsungs next.

Which Corsair kit is that (part number)?

-Raja

I can't overclock above 4.4GHz without risking system instability on intel's burn test. This is on the Sabertooth Z77

I can run all day long with these settings:
Extreme Power Phase Management
High Load Line Calibration
1.15 V core
100 BCLCK
44 Multiplier
1.575v Memory
All 4 slots filled with G.Skill 4x4 (16GB) 1833 memory. (Runs @ 2000)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus in push / pull config

Soon as I go with a 103 BCLCK (4532MHz), no matter what voltage (up to 1.32 Vcore-load), power phase, or load line calibration I use, I can't get Intel's burn test to run stable for more than 10 minutes.

And yes I have modulation off.

Ivy Bridge is a pain in the tail to overclock. But Maybe I just got a bad 3770k. I'm debating getting a Corsair H80 to tame this beast.

Enable CPU PLL OV.

If the system is stable at 4.4GHz, then it is more likely a CPU stability issue rather than memory. The only time memory kits can create issue with increasing IO is when users wrongly put together multiple kits rather than purchasing a single kit rated at the density they wish to run. If that is the case here, you might want to underclock the DIMMs and see if you can break the 4.4GHz barrier using the multipliers rather than adjusting BCLK.

Last edited:
So M5G.CAP worked out.

Flashed through this method with latest beta bios found on kingpin forum (BIOS 0078)

Still stuck at QCODE 55.

Now what the hell can I do? this is getting ridiculous :(

please help thanks

I opened up a ticket with ASUS support and it's pretty quiet. Quicksync is not working in d-mode with virtu MVP. I have the latest version of the software running and enabled. Monitor is hooked up to my GTX 680. After starting up Media Converter, I notice that quicksync is not an option in the hardware acceleration list -- just CUDA or none. When I switch to i-mode (monitor hooked up to iGPU), I can see the quicksync option. Anyone else running into issues with d-mode? I'm wondering if GTX 680 is not supported.

So M5G.CAP worked out.

Flashed through this method with latest beta bios found on kingpin forum (BIOS 0078)

Still stuck at QCODE 55.

Now what the hell can I do? this is getting ridiculous :(

please help thanks

Have reported to HQ and am awaiting a response.

-Raja

Which Corsair kit is that (part number)?

-Raja

The CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(B if you want to get specific of the color). It's listed in the manual's compatibility chart. Started with the 1050 bios, just running the system at stock speeds and the RAM at 1333. I had some weirdness where it passed 1 pass of memtest86+ 4.20, installed the OS, ran HCI memtest, it failed, went back to memtest86+, failed on 2nd pass. Pulled 2 sticks, it failed. Pulled and put in the other 2 sticks, passed, so figured bad stick.

So I put in a 2x4 of the vengeance 1866 (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) that's on the compat list, that passes. So RMAed the 4x4. I had my 4x2 Dominators from my decommissioned system, so I put that in the system, it passes. Get the 2nd set of 4x4, it's still failing. Tried the new 1015 bios to see if it helped, still failed. I *think* that the sticks needed more power. I tried giving them a little more juice in the bios, 1.515 I think I set it at, and I think it took longer to fail HCI memtest that way, it got to around 350% coverage when it failed (was just running it overnight). But call me old fashioned, I'd hope that at stock settings, I wouldn't need to play with power (and the 4x2 Doms worked fine).

Anyhow, my local Fry's had those Samsungs that everyone seems to love in stock, so I picked up 2 pairs tonight and I'm running a maximum IBT on the 4 sticks as I type just for a quicky test, it's passed 6 of 10 so far (for comparison, the Corsair 4x4 failed the same test on the 2nd pass) I'm going to stick with these, cuz I know they can run the same speed as the Corsairs, but with looser timing and lower power, and that gives me some room to play with.

BTW: On the 2 16GB sets, the first was version 8.16 and the 2nd was version 2.12 (I happened to have taken pics of the RAM for some reason)

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just put together a P8Z77-V Pro board with an IB, but i am suffering random BSOD's

Is there any software i can use to try an test various components to try and isolate the BSOD and make it repeatable??

Hi,

I have just put together a P8Z77-V Pro board with an IB, but i am suffering random BSOD's

Is there any software i can use to try an test various components to try and isolate the BSOD and make it repeatable??

Stress test like Memtest outside the office and the latest version of Linpack inside. Some more details of the setup and configuration would help us to debug also...

So on the deluxe, the CPU_OPT header doesn't have any fan controller in Fan Xpert 2, correct? Actually, looking at the manual, in BIOS, there's no control of the CPU_OPT speed either? So I currently have the H100 sensor cable plugged into the CPU_FAN header so it sees a RPM on it. Since I don't need any control for that plug, would it be perfectly fine to plug it into the CPU_OPT header and then use the CPU_FAN for one more case fan?

BTW: On the 2 16GB sets, the first was version 8.16 and the 2nd was version 2.12 (I happened to have taken pics of the RAM for some reason)

So were you using two different sets at the same time? If so that's the problem. The SPD and XMP is for a single kit only. If there are two versions the ICs on those DIMMs are likely completely different. Corsair use the version number as an IC identifier.

My advice, is always to purchase a single kit at the rated density, far easier to get stable.

So on the deluxe, the CPU_OPT header doesn't have any fan controller in Fan Xpert 2, correct? Actually, looking at the manual, in BIOS, there's no control of the CPU_OPT speed either? So I currently have the H100 sensor cable plugged into the CPU_FAN header so it sees a RPM on it. Since I don't need any control for that plug, would it be perfectly fine to plug it into the CPU_OPT header and then use the CPU_FAN for one more case fan?

CPU_OPT is same as CPU_FAN profile.

Hi,

Are you using the latest Bios?

P8Z77-V PRO BIOS 1015
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
here's the direct link for the downloadables for the P8Z77-V Pro
http://support.asus.com/download.as...9&m=P8Z77-V+PRO&os=&hashedid=euntYpCDv4qZjTYS

Did not see this thread before. On the Asus z77 saber tooth will the Thermalright silver arrow heatsink with corsair vengeance ram with the big heat spreaders fit if I put the dimms in slot 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3? Is there a downside to this? I Plan on watercooling eventually so I want the fancy looking ram if I can make it fit.

Thanks

this is a question for Raja@ASUS

I'm looking to buy a new z77 system and I have a few requirements. One of them is the VT-d capabilty. I was shocked that none of Asus mobo actually support this especially when Asrock, Msi and Gigabyte have it. Could you explain why and if this will be added to later z77 bios ? If not I think I'll but an Asrock one.

this is a question for Raja@ASUS

I'm looking to buy a new z77 system and I have a few requirements. One of them is the VT-d capabilty. I was shocked that none of Asus mobo actually support this especially when Asrock, Msi and Gigabyte have it. Could you explain why and if this will be added to later z77 bios ? If not I think I'll but an Asrock one.

I had the same question and this is the response with a question from me later:

From Raja:
That depends on what the chipset supports. Intel only validated VT-d on Q series chipsets last platform launch, I have no reason to believe that will be changing for this platform. We tried to validate on P67 and only 25 of the 50 tests would pass. So we can't support if Intel can't.

From Me:
Thank you for an answer. Curious though, other Z77 boards from other manufacturers, including from Intel, have VT-d support; even though Ark says the chipset does not support VT-d.

Ark says there is no support for VT-d (http://ark.intel.com/products/64024/Intel-BD82Z77-PCH). Yet, Intel has Z77 motherboards with VT-d support. Intel needs to consolidate this because it is supposed to be the chipset that handles VT-d not the CPU (q.v. Core i7-900 series), but they do have something now that relates to processor and supposedly the chipset). Meaning that there are many errors/mis-information in how to be capable/compatible.

thanks for your response Shikami

I wouldn't trust intel own specs because they constantly make mistakes... ex ark site says that no processors support SLAT or EPT but most processors since nehalem support it. Also, intel says that theses motherboard SUPPORT Intel VT with Directed I/O:

Chipset Desktop Board
Z77 DZ77GA-70K, DZ77BH-55K, DZ77GA-70K
H77 DH77KC, DH77EB, DH77DF
B75 DB75EN
Q67 DQ67EP; DQ67OW; DQ67SW
Q57 DQ57TM; DQ57TML
Q45 DQ45CB; DQ45EK
Q35 DQ35JO; DQ35MP

Which include Z77 chipset. In a mail from Asrock tech support, they says ALL z77 chipsets support VT-d. The problem is thoses manufacturers like Asus who making broken or incomplete Bios...

So were you using two different sets at the same time? If so that's the problem. The SPD and XMP is for a single kit only. If there are two versions the ICs on those DIMMs are likely completely different. Corsair use the version number as an IC identifier.

My advice, is always to purchase a single kit at the rated density, far easier to get stable.

Oh, no, I'm saying I had 2 different kits of 4X4GB RAM, I was just letting you know what version was marked on the different kits. All 4 sticks used at the same time came in the same kit and had the same version.

thanks for your response Shikami

I wouldn't trust intel own specs because they constantly make mistakes... ex ark site says that no processors support SLAT or EPT but most processors since nehalem support it. Also, intel says that theses motherboard SUPPORT Intel VT with Directed I/O:

Chipset Desktop Board
Z77 DZ77GA-70K, DZ77BH-55K, DZ77GA-70K
H77 DH77KC, DH77EB, DH77DF
B75 DB75EN
Q67 DQ67EP; DQ67OW; DQ67SW
Q57 DQ57TM; DQ57TML
Q45 DQ45CB; DQ45EK
Q35 DQ35JO; DQ35MP

Which include Z77 chipset. In a mail from Asrock tech support, they says ALL z77 chipsets support VT-d. The problem is thoses manufacturers like Asus who making broken or incomplete Bios...

"those" manufacturers have to validate it fully otherwise we get complaints that this or that will not work (some vendors dont mind that). The information I supplied on previous chipsets was correct, this time I think if it were possible it would have been added already. I will ask HQ again tomorrow morning and see what they say about it.

"those" manufacturers have to validate it fully otherwise we get complaints that this or that will not work (some vendors dont mind that). The information I supplied on previous chipsets was correct, this time I think if it were possible it would have been added already. I will ask HQ again tomorrow morning and see what they say about it.

This VT-d stuff is already working for Z77 chipset on Xen or ESXi so it's definitely not an hardware issue. It seem's to me that asus focus more on useless crap (like overclocking) than stability and high end features theses days (granted you'r not alone). But you know, in the end this translate to missed sales for Asus because of this simple option...

This VT-d stuff is already working for Z77 chipset on Xen or ESXi so it's definitely not an hardware issue. It seem's to me that asus focus more on useless crap (like overclocking) than stability and high end features theses days (granted you'r not alone). But you know, in the end this translate to missed sales for Asus because of this simple option...

Well We will wait until validation rather than making a claim that it works without checking all items - some vendors didn't bother and if you think that makes things better then we should agree to disagree. As I said earlier we were right with Q series on the last gen, so if all 50 tests don't pass it is not valid. As I said I will ask HQ again tomorrow and see what they say.

P8Z77-V Pro question: the PCH heatsink has some plastic film on it, but it doesn't feel like it wants to come off easily. Is this supposed to be removed? I'm worried it will take the logo off with it, but of course I don't want to melt plastic to metal either. Pic:

TkcrM.jpg

Well We will wait until validation rather than making a claim that it works without checking all items - some vendors didn't bother and if you think that makes things better then we should agree to disagree. As I said earlier we were right with Q series on the last gen, so if all 50 tests don't pass it is not valid. As I said I will ask HQ again tomorrow and see what they say.

hum...last gen ? z68 chipset works as tested here

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037576149&postcount=7

or here :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1200725/vt-d-is-your-friend-a-success-in-passthrough-to-xen-hvms

Code:
Some info on my setup:
Intel i7-2600 (non-k ) -- VT-d only available in non-k or intel Vpro capable northbridges
ASrock H67M-ITX -- ASrock is awesome because they have enabled VT-d in a lot of the new UEFI capable 1156 and 1155 boards
Xen Hypervisor (4.1.2) Running a Fedora 16 x86_64 dom0
Passthrough done with a work-around with virt-manager to release the PCI resources, xm pci-attach to reassign

VT-d is incompatible only with Asus boards it seems :eek:

P8Z77-V Pro question: the PCH heatsink has some plastic film on it, but it doesn't feel like it wants to come off easily. Is this supposed to be removed? I'm worried it will take the logo off with it, but of course I don't want to melt plastic to metal either. Pic:

http://i.imgur.com/TkcrM.jpg?2

Don't worry, it won't remove the logo. You can use a sharp X-Acto knife to pry up one of the corners or use a hair dryer on the hottest setting to lift it off easier.

http://tinkertry.com/vmdirectpath/

Z68 boards tested for VT-d. MSI and ASRock passed but Gigabyte and Asus failed. I would definitely ask someone with a non K CPU to look it up on your new Z77 board. Don't assume it works. I will hear 900 responses of people who obviously haven't tested it themself say something like "It depends on the CPU not the Mobo." Sure, but even if its a feature on the North Bridge, it could be disabled by default or not even have an option to enable in BIOS. The fact is 99.999% of people don't give a rat's ass about VT-d, much less on a consumer board.

So I would take people's words with a grain of salt unless they've personally investigated this issue. It's far too easy to say just get a non-K CPU and you're good to go because clearly the two most popular brands didn't work for VT-d in the Z68 lineup....

I'm having an issue with my P8Z77-V pro. It will not post if there are DIMMs in B1 or B2. The red dram led remains lit. It works fine with A1 and A2 populated. I've already tried clear cmos. Should I bring it back to microcenter for an exchange, or is there some BIOS setting I'm not seeing that's needed to activate the other two DIMMs?

Back