ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

The reason I don't think it's the PSU is because I used it in my last build. As for VGA, I haven't fitted it yet, I'm using the onboard GPU temporary. I might give that a try tomorrow morning with the pencil. If I can't pinpoint the problem I will loosen up the screws, it's sitting flat currently in a ghetto spec case. As for the heatsink it's a 6 heat pipe monster but I can't tell you the model right now as I forgot which one I fitted.

Anyone know what the SSD/HDD option under SATA does? It's not an available option (at least on my board) but if you check the firmware it's there as a hidden option - you can specify it per port.

Anyone know what the SSD/HDD option under SATA does? It's not an available option (at least on my board) but if you check the firmware it's there as a hidden option - you can specify it per port.

Using AMIBCP, I noticed this option some months ago, but couldn't figure out the meaning and how to make it available in BIOS (UEFI).

Just a wild guess: Maybe it is related to Intel's Rapid Start Technology and /or Smart Connect Technology . Possibly dependant on Power (Hibernation) settings.
But your guess is as good as mine.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, My name is Jim. This is my very 1st post here and I've been searching the internet for answers and this website looked like it would be my best bet to possibly finding the answers that I'm looking for.

I just built my computer and I'm using the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard and I cannot for the life of me get both of the rear eSata Ports to work.

I'm not using my PC as a RAID system, I'm just using it for storage, I have a total of 4 SATA Hard Drives installed inside of the PC already, I have the BIOS set to AHCI with Hot Plug Enabled for all Ports,

The Case that I'm using is the CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case which has 1 eSATA Port in the Front which I had to run a SATA Cable from the MB to the front port in order to get it to work so that one works fine.

The Rear 2 are attached to the Motherboard just like my last ASUS MB the ASUS P5K Deluxe and I didn't have to do anything special to get those to work that I remember.

I tried downloading the newest drivers from ASUS Website but when I go to connect my eSATA Hard Drive to ANY of the Ports Front or Rear, the Hard Drive just starts Clicking and in My Computer the Green Status Bar never finishes crossing the window and I cannot access the Hard Drive.

I tried reading through these threads, I have my settings set to 40 threads per page and there's some 31 pages and the word SATA comes up a BUNCH of times when I did a search on it, it took me almost 2 hours before I even started a post, I'm going to see the word STAT in my dreams tonight :eek: LOL,...

But anyway,... Please, Is there anyone out there who has experienced this before that might be able to help me out with this issue? I would very much appreciate it.

If I've left anything out that you need to know by all means please let me know and I'll try my best to answer it for you in order to help me out.

Again Thank you and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Jim

I'm currently on P8Z77-V BIOS 1606 Windows 7 but gonna upgrade (clean install actually) to Windows 8 soon. So I was wondering if anyone with BIOS 1606 (or 1708) has any problem (ie. compatibility, freezes/hangs, or devices stop working, etc.) with Windows 8?

I have the P8Z77-V Pro.

Has anyone noticed that when you install the 802.11 WiFi add-on into the motherboard, that it does not fit very well with the I/O shield? The I/O shield does have an opening for the antenna connector, but the the body of the 802.11 add-on is virtually flush with the edge of the board, so it really presses into the spongy foam backing on the I/O shield, causing the shield to bulge outward from the back of the case.

Last edited:
Ive been searching and can not find the answer I cant be the only one with this issue. I cant find the adjustment for the multiplier. Also in the bios I set my frq to 103.5 and shows a target speed of 4.2 but when I go into windows it tops at 3.9. Using BIOS 1709. The AI suite no longer shows any option to adjust the multiplier. In BIOS the cpu ratio is locked on auto. The other mode auto,xmp,manual says multiplier will be adjusted automatically. What am I missing? ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe.

Last edited:
Ive been searching and can not find the answer I cant be the only one with this issue. I cant find the adjustment for the multiplier. Also in the bios I set my frq to 103.5 and shows a target speed of 4.2 but when I go into windows it tops at 3.9. Using BIOS 1709. The AI suite no longer shows any option to adjust the multiplier. In BIOS the cpu ratio is locked on auto. The other mode auto,xmp,manual says multiplier will be adjusted automatically. What am I missing? ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe.

What CPU are you using? Don't use any of the "auto overclocking" features in the BIOS or in AI Suite. Make sure EPU & TPU are switched to the off position on your motherboard.

@rgraze911

missing multiplier options indicates corrupted bios flash - which means you did one recently
3.9 is the Intel Turbo mode max
never run any BCLK other than 100.0 which comes naturally after setting XMP profile
You can use the ASUS ME firmware update tool, which may bring back your multipliers, make sure you have Intel MEI 8.0 or higher drivers in dev man/sys devices
You will have to do an unplugged CMOS reset afterwards
If you are manually overclocking, you should disable Intel Turbo mode before anything in bios - not to be confused with AI Suite Turbo
If you need to reflash to get back multi's use the CodeRush method decribed on thei forum - 100% successful

@sabertooth guy

The 20 pin molex in mid front of mobo is 2 Intel Southbridge USB 3.0
You can purchase the correct 3.5" case front breakout box from Newegg if it did not come with mobo.
The three lower edge of mobo USB are 6 Intel USB 2.0
In back:
The top 4 USB in rear plate are Intel USB 2.0
The two RED eSATA are ASMedia powered USB type ports
There are two ASM USB 3.0 ports BLUE
There are two Intel Southbridge USB 3.0 ports just above the red ones

You should enable REAR (and front) ASM storage in onboard devices in BIOS and also both oprom and also make sure force bios is set on boot page, not keep current. After running external a few times you can turn off OROM, or if either is not a booter, then set keep current so you dont have to look at OPROM screens

With this stuff turned ON in bios, you should run the Intel chipset utility 9.3.xxxx again to see if it picks up anything else.
Then install BOTH ASM USB 3 and ASM storage drivers
http://www.overclock.net/t/1248928/...ers-bioses-overclocking-reviews-updated-11-23

Well I have the i7-3770k. I disabled TPU and EPU, BCLK is 100, I ran the ASUS ME update tool had MEI 8.0, did the unplugged bios reset. Disabled turbo mode. I reflashed to 1607, not sure what coderush meant but did a search and followed the official asus bios routine flash routine. I noticed that in the AI suite auto oc only has a level up option no fast or extreme. In the bios in cpu mang, cpu ratio I try to change the option to 42 and it just goes back to 35, any number above 35 goes back to 35. I was at some point able to adjust everything and had system running stable at 4.4.

Well I have the i7-3770k. I disabled TPU and EPU, BCLK is 100, I ran the ASUS ME update tool had MEI 8.0, did the unplugged bios reset. Disabled turbo mode. I reflashed to 1607, not sure what coderush meant but did a search and followed the official asus bios routine flash routine. I noticed that in the AI suite auto oc only has a level up option no fast or extreme. In the bios in cpu mang, cpu ratio I try to change the option to 42 and it just goes back to 35, any number above 35 goes back to 35. I was at some point able to adjust everything and had system running stable at 4.4.

suggest you read this thread carefully

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&board_id=1&model=P8Z68-V PRO&page=1&count=30

So I read the article, tried the linux rescue and got an error that image size does not match dead end for me there, I then read the coderush article booted to DOS via usb with the DOS ftk. I did a biosrfl to ver 1206. still unable to chage ratio just goes back to 35, still no AI Auto option of fast or extreme. Only now the system wont go past 37 on auto. What be next?

@rgraze911

I guess you know you have to hit ENTER after typing in new multi (CPU Power config) and after hitting enter if you scroll down the number should have turned black, moving off that bios page to another and back again lets it register and then do the exit AND SAVE.
http://i.imgur.com/lULxM.jpg

Flashrom saying image size wrong means you are missing piece of bios, or had a bad download of previous bios, like from using flakey AI Suite update module.
CodeRush FTKtool always fixes this

You might run memtest 86+ from booted usb/CD

I also recommend uninstalling AI Suite - I dont use that thing and have no idea what its doing with your system now
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...id=1&model=P8Z77-V+PRO&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

You could also go to Win 7 power options, additional power plans, hi perf, advanced and set processor to 2% min 100% max

edit:
That failing, if you are in US or Canada, think you should buy a chip from ASUS E-Store
At least that will get that big question mark out of the way, cheap to find out at $16
Comes in 5 days (Indiana)
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3885

Last edited:
Yes, I enter the new number and hit enter and that is when it goes back to 35, The power plan is already set to 2 and 100.

rgraze911, why don't you read my guide properly?
Your problem is ME corruption and must be solved by reflashing ME. biosrefl flashes BIOS only and you can't do anything with ME using that command.
Please use reflash command and read guides better next time.

@CodeRush

Lets say I have a P9X79 Del
I have always wondered if the FTK tool will flash a 1203.rom to an already converted image file that is now 3009.cap by renaming the original .rom

P9X79-DELUXE-ASUS-1203.ROM make as bios.bin

In other words, once converted to .cap structure (Win 8) can FTK unconvert it back to .rom structure?

cisco_guy, the difference between ROM and CAP file is only in 2kb CAP-header. Basically, CAP = 2kb + ROM. So the conversion is simple - strip this 2kb from the beginning of the file out and conversion is complete.
This stripout is made by FD44Copier during data copy or by FD44Editor during save.

@cisco guy

Thank Very Kindly for your Help.
I use my Ext Hard Drive for viewing movies with my WDTV Device which is currently connected to my TV right now but I'm going to check and or make those changes or corrections you suggested.

The Ext Hard Drive that I have supports both USB and SATA. The WDTV device only has USB ports on it and I suppose that also is for computers that that don't yet support eSATA Devices like my old PC did and my new MB should be doing, I just couldn't find where in this new fancy BIOS to look for it,... My old PC which I still have and am using is the ASUS P5K Deluxe and the BIO's has more of a Dos/Windows feel to it if that makes any since to you and this new BIOS is more,... Umm,.. Digital Feeling to it and I'm still learning where everything is located at in it and what everything does in it, There's a lot more features too.

Again,... Thank You very much for your help friend. /bow
I'll let you know how things woke out.

Jim

@CodeRush

So lets say now I want to upgrade image from
P9X79-DELUXE-ASUS-2002.CAP
to
P9X79-DELUXE-ASUS-3009.CAP
and I need to use FT44Editor to add lost GBe MAC manually to new bios 3009
So that will automatically strip the cap header from 3009 when I save.
Then I take renamed bios.bin and flash the new edited 3009 with stripped cap - so it gets the cap header from the old bios?
In other words, if the cap header is there in old bios, it automatically uses it, and if old bios is already a .rom, it just simply flashes as rom?

Your tool is easy to use and always works, I am just interested a little bit in whats going on.

I did a full reflash and system is back up to normal. Thank you cisco guy and code rush for your help. I did not know I had an ME corruption I was unclear which reflash to do even reading the article. I figured biosrfl seem better than your standard asus flash, and once i posted what I did someone would tell me which reflash to do. Maybee I missed the part where I had a ME corruption. If so my bad.
Thanks again for your help. I am glad my system is back to normal and I can OC again.

@Cisco_guy
CAP header is present only in BIOS files, not in BIOS chip itself. That is why CAP files are 8194 Kb and BIOS chip is only 8192 Kb and that's why flashing unmodified CAP file with SPI programmer leads to BIOS corruption.

@rdgaze911
My English is way not perfect and I wrote wall of text, that is hard to read, but your issue was addressed at very beginning:
0. Problems and solutions
P: BIOS setup shows ME:N/A on Main tab.
P: Turbo-multipliers are absent or not working.
P: System detects all the RAM, but can use only a half of it.
P: Integrated GPU is not working.
S: ME region is corrupted. Reflash ME region, as described in section 5.

last question (and thnx)
So, I flash new 3009 bios using EZ Flash 2 - it ALSO strips the .cap 2Kb during flash routine?
If so, what the hell is it there for?

@cisco_guy, Yes.
EFI Capsule is a new Intel format for packing all UEFI firmware code to one file. Link to design document.
I think, it is used by USB Bios Flashback microcontroller in UBF process, but I am not sure.
This 2Kb header must be stripped out, that is enough for me to know about.

@sabertooth guy

Hi again,...

I'm the one having problems with the rear eSTAT ports with the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB that your trying to help me with. ( Please see post #1205 for my original post. ) and ( Post #1212 for your reply to me. )

or

@sabertooth guy

The 20 pin molex in mid front of mobo is 2 Intel Southbridge USB 3.0
You can purchase the correct 3.5" case front breakout box from Newegg if it did not come with mobo.
The three lower edge of mobo USB are 6 Intel USB 2.0
In back:
The top 4 USB in rear plate are Intel USB 2.0
The two RED eSATA are ASMedia powered USB type ports
There are two ASM USB 3.0 ports BLUE
There are two Intel Southbridge USB 3.0 ports just above the red ones

You should enable REAR (and front) ASM storage in onboard devices in BIOS and also both oprom and also make sure force bios is set on boot page, not keep current. After running external a few times you can turn off OROM, or if either is not a booter, then set keep current so you dont have to look at OPROM screens

With this stuff turned ON in bios, you should run the Intel chipset utility 9.3.xxxx again to see if it picks up anything else.
Then install BOTH ASM USB 3 and ASM storage drivers
http://www.overclock.net/t/1248928/a...-updated-11-23

Okay so my findings are this,... When I went in to the configurations it was already setup as this,...

ASM1061 Storage Controller Rear = Enabled
ASM1061 Storage OPROM = Auto

ASM1061 Storage Controller Front = Enabled
ASM1061 Storage OPROM = Auto

So if I understood you correctly all I needed to do was change the Auto's to Enabled which I did and then under the Boot Up section I checked out to see if Force BIOS was Enabled and it already was so I left it alone,...

I created a new BIOS Setup Label and saved and restarted with my Ext HD Off and Plugged in, When Windows 8 Loaded I turned my Ext HD on and Nothing,...

I turned my Ext HD off and connected it to the other cable that is connected to the other eSATA Rear Port, Turned my Ext HD on and Nothing,...

I then did a complete shutdown of the PC, turned it back on waited for windows to load again, when through the same steps with the same results. :confused: :( :mad:

Soooo,....

I was hoping that maybe I did something wrong or maybe you might have another suggestion for me please? :D

My BIOS Version is v1304 This is the Direct Link to the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB Support Page ( Please Click Here )

I don't know if it'll help or not but this is the link to the Ext HD's that I'm using also,...
( Please Click Here ) Fantom Drives GreenDrive Pro 2TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive GDP2000EU

I really do appreciate your help or anyone else's help that might know what might be happening here with my problem with the Rear eSTAT Ports Not Working on my MB.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks friend. /bow

Jim

Oh, didnt realize you had Win 8 running
Win 8 has 2 big bugs right out of the box (among others)
USB 3 issues:
USB 3.0 running as 2.0
USB 2.0 running very slow
USB 3.0 ports dont work
eSATA ports not working or intermittent or non detection

The second big bug is not waking from sleep

Why do people think a new MS O/S will work flawlessly right from the get go? Dont be a first adapter.

Its either the Win 8 O/S or your eSATA drive not being detected by bios
To get to the bottom of this you should take an old HDD, unplug everything else and throw Win 7 X64 on it and see if your eSATA drive works then.

Edit:
Just looked at your link. Your drive comes with its own power supply (self powered). And its USB 2.0.
And you need a good quality cable (SNUG fitting - you had to buy a cable - none comes with drive)
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-sata-and-esata/
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...1&model=P8Z77-V+DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1025779
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/79645-35-express-card-adapters-usb3-esata
http://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE
I hate eSATA drives. Dont trust them - dont use them. I dont like my drives power having to go thru some dinky companies PCB circuitry.

And have you read the NewEgg user reviews?
This external is crap!
Buy a GTech per the NE reviews
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@cisco guy

AHH HA!! :D:D
I figured it out,...

Don't ask me what made me do this but for some reason I decided to click on that little Up Arrow down there next to the time and I seen that it said " Intel Rapid Storage Technology Off " and when I opened the program and tried to run it to turn it on it gave me a IAStorUI.exe error,... :confused: So I searched it out. Redownloaded it, Uninstalled it, restarted, Installed it again, Connected my Ext HD, Turned it on,... Nothing....
I opened up that "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" and this time there was a bunch of new options so I hit refresh and it found my Ext HD and a Window with the contents of the Ext HD opened up,... I thought HOLY $%*!

So Bing Bamm Boom,...

I'm glad that this is over with, Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it and as far as the replies that people have left for this drive on Newegg,.. I cant speak for them but I own two of them and I use them with a WDTV Device to watch Movies on my TV, I don't know what they use them for and I've had mine for over year now and knock on wood " Knock Knock Knock " Their still going strong and their pretty quick when using the eSATA but pretty slow if you want to transfer a 3 or 4gig movie using USB I'll admit and to confirm I just ripped the warranty tag off the bottom of mine and it is a Seagate in the one that I opened up But I also bought a New 2T Seagate Drive for my New I7 3770k, 16gig, Blah Blah Blah PC too,... Which reminds me, My Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner comes today,... Maybe there will be a new sort of problems you can help me with LOL,... :eek:

Have a GREAT Weekend if you don't hear from me first friend.

Jim

@Sabertooth guy

fwiw some of the Hauppague Tuners caused a no boot condition. Dont know about your particular one. For the Z77 V Pro it wasnt corrected until bios 1616. Not familiar with Sabertooth bios. So your fun probably isnt over yet.

Thats an interesting problem/solution on the eSATA. I am wondering if the eSATA introduction caused the Intel SATA to shut down "to prevent system damage". I can think of no other reason it would be off. Similarly if you introduce DDR3 1600 RAM with bad settings it kicks down to 1333. I will now offer your solution (check status of Intel RST CC) to others. You might want to right click the task bar in a blank space and click customize notification icons and click show icons and notifications for all system devices like Realtek, Internet, Intel RST AMD/Nvidia control center and antivirus

Edit: 1.62 version of CPU-z not correctly detecting clock speeds. Ignore post. Stability issues seem to only be with HyperPi.

CPU is not downclocking when idle after upgrading to BIOS 1708 on my P8Z77-V Pro.

Downflashed to 1616, no change.

Downflashed back to 1506 which I had prior to updating and loaded my settings saved to my USB drive to be absolutely sure I wasn't missing a setting, no change.

Something changed when upgrading to 1708 that apparently can't be fixed by rolling back; what happened?

The only way to get the CPU to downclock when idle now is to change Windows' power settings for the CPU minimum, which results in Windows running sluggish when the CPU isn't being stressed. This is unacceptable. Previously I had the min/max set to 100% and suffered no sluggishness with proper downclocking to 1.6GHz.

If anyone has an explanation for what could've happened, I would appreciate any information, as now I am suffering stability issues due to the voltage dropping when idle but not the CPU clocks. That or suffering sluggishness if I change the power plan settings.

Last edited:
I'm having a weird network issue with my P8Z77-V Pro. Every time I reboot, my computer doesn't see the Intel NIC (I think it's "failed to start, code 10"). It sees the WiFi fine, just not the wired connection.

If I reinstall the Intel Driver (latest ProWinx64 from Intel website), the NIC pops up and connects just fine. I reboot, have the same issue again. Anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to have to reinstall those drivers every time I restart my computer, lol.

I'm having a weird network issue with my P8Z77-V Pro. Every time I reboot, my computer doesn't see the Intel NIC (I think it's "failed to start, code 10"). It sees the WiFi fine, just not the wired connection.

If I reinstall the Intel Driver (latest ProWinx64 from Intel website), the NIC pops up and connects just fine. I reboot, have the same issue again. Anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to have to reinstall those drivers every time I restart my computer, lol.

This should fix it:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22026

If anyone has an explanation for what could've happened, I would appreciate any information, as now I am suffering stability issues due to the voltage dropping when idle but not the CPU clocks. That or suffering sluggishness if I change the power plan settings.

What are you using to monitor this.. I know on my system running Win8 the CPU-z doesn't work as expected anymore. The latest versions always show my clocks at max. while the older 1.61.3 shows correct behaviour.

Either way it does sound like something is wrong if you have stability issues, maybe try clearing cmos and check how it behaves when at stock.

What are you using to monitor this.. I know on my system running Win8 the CPU-z doesn't work as expected anymore. The latest versions always show my clocks at max. while the older 1.61.3 shows correct behaviour.

Either way it does sound like something is wrong if you have stability issues, maybe try clearing cmos and check how it behaves when at stock.
Well, looks like you solved it.

Just loaded up 1.61.3 and it's reporting 1.6GHz.

Guess nothing was wrong with the BIOS after all. Didn't think CPU-z folks could screw something up. But.. why does 1.62 correctly report it when the power profile is set to a low %? Maybe 1.62 fixed something instead of breaking it? This is all confusing me now.

Oh well. Suppose I'm reflashing back to the newest BIOS. Someone mentioned it having USB problems, but I didn't experience any when I was using it.

*sigh* What a huge waste of time.. Remind me to cross-check between multiple programs now instead of relying on something with a huge reputation in the enthusiast scene.

Still, not explaining why hyper-pi is crashing after updating.. Ran it just fine prior to the BIOS update, but every time I've tried to run it now it's crashed most if its threads and hung on the main one.. and then crashed.

Hi guys i'm new to this forum.

So i have this problem with my new pc.

I have a p8z77-v motherboard with a core i7 3770k processor and 120gb kingston hyper x ssd and 2 other normal hdds.

I have g.skill ripjaws x f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl rams which doesn't work at all when i put them in all 4 slots.

The bios and all loads but windows doesn't, it just gives a error for new hatdware and goes to 'launch startup repair or start windows normally' and none them works either.

However it works fine with 3 sticks in any 3slots, like totally fine.

I have the latest bios version.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Back