Asus Z77 issues

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
My issues seem to be...numerous with this board.

To start, USB devices must be detected and reinstalled on EVERY windows boot. The same thing happens in Linux live distros - I have to disconnect the devices and plug them back in. Only my keyboard seems to work, and the rest is horked.

GFlop numbers in Intel Burn test are WAY low - something I'm not overly interested in normally, but when IBT says I'm getting 50 GFlops at 4.1 GHz, and everyone else is getting 100+, I have to wonder.

I'll skip the rest for now, but am I missing something?

Oh, and the on board NIC doesn't have drivers built into Windows. Really?

Last edited:
So, further update: using only USB2 ports DOES NOT fix the issue. It just makes my mouse stop working in the UEFI BIOS.

Turning off EIST, Hyperthreading and all does NOT help my burn test numbers either.

Edit: Changed from my Mionix Naos to an older Sidewinder X8 and it seems to work better - it only takes a second for the drive to get recognized. Really?

Last edited:
Upgrade your IBT to the version that supports AVX and you'll have large gflop numbers too like everyone else...

Upgrade your IBT to the version that supports AVX and you'll have large gflop numbers too like everyone else...

Where can I find this? Edit: Found it here - http://www.gigaflopd.com/downloads/ibt/

My results remain the same. ~50 GFlops.

On an aside, numbers using the trial of Sandra seem fine.

On to the USB crap...is this just an issue with USB3? Am I missing somehting? Does the Mionix Naos 5000 just not work well with this board?

Edit: Tried Linx too, same thing - 49-50 GFlops, hyperthreading on.

Last edited:
Can I take this CPU/motherboard to the firing range and shoot it? I want my i7 950 back. Fuck you, ASUS. Fuck you to hell.
As you obviously lack even basic skills of public communication I would think real support will be a long time coming.

I'll ignore the expletives.

1) I will have to ask HQ to get a Mionix Naos 5000 to test if possible it probably needs patching for UEFI, but in Windows that could also be a driver issue.

2) The Linpack Gflops issue could be down to several things. Immediate thing about AVX is it needs Win 7 SP1 to work - have to mention that as you have not said if you have updated to SP1 or not or if this is a fresh install of the OS. Elsewhere if the CPU is throttling for whatever reason the Gflops would also be low.

3) Windows does not include built in drivers for the Intel NICs. Use the supplied support disc for drivers. If you have no optical drive but are able to post on forums on the net, then just download them to a thumb drive and install.

-Raja

Last edited:
So much anger... if you got a lemon just setup an RMA, my P8Z77-V is rock solid. Stuff happens.

Do you have Win 7 SP1? I installed my Z77-V Pro last night, no issues with USB devices (Logitech G500 and cheap Logitech keyboard), both work fine in UEFI and Windows.

Had to user driver disc for the Intel NIC as Raja said, other than that all good so far, haven't had time to benchmark yet.

I'll ignore the expletives.

1) I will have to ask HQ to get a Mionix Naos 5000 to test if possible it probably needs patching for UEFI, but in Windows that could also be a driver issue.

2) The Linpack Gflops issue could be down to several things. Immediate thing about AVX is it needs Win 7 SP1 to work - have to mention that as you have not said if you have updated to SP1 or not or if this is a fresh install of the OS. Elsewhere if the CPU is throttling for whatever reason the Gflops would also be low.

3) Windows does not include built in drivers for the Intel NICs. Use the supplied support disc for drivers. If you have no optical drive but are able to post on forums on the net, then just download them to a thumb drive and install.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

Sorry for raging, too much stress going on, too little sleep. I edited it out. Again, apologies.

1. For the mouse, unsure on drivers - I usually ignore the drivers from Mionix, but this time I tried to install them after I started having issues, but had little success with them. The experience I was seeing was that I'd boot into Windows, I had the Mouse plugged into the hub built into my Dell monitor (AW2310) along with a MS HD Webcam. On boot, the webcam would fire up fine (after WU/MU installed the Lifecam software, on next boot the webcam software started and displayed video - so the HUB works. However, on every boot, the mouse would try to install drivers, fail to install drivers, then just sit there unpowered. I would then unplug and replug the mouse, and it would get recognized fine.

If I plugged the mouse into the motherboard directly, same issue. The second I moved to my sidewinder, everything worked. What irks me is that the Naos 5000 was fine on my old x58 Sabertooth board, and that this issue happens in Parted Magic (a Linux distro I used to secure erase my SSD) as well, which makes me think this is not a Windows only issue, but a larger issue I don't understand. I don't fully understand the settings in the BIOS for the USB modes, could you go over the correct settings?

2. I've done an interactive WU scan, but I don't remember if I picked up SP1 - I'll look in my update history when I get home - interesting point though. What would cause the CPU to throttle? Temps remain at 61C or below while running IBT and Linx, which is pretty far from the point at which the CPU should throttle?

3. I seem to remember my x58 board however worked fine - looks like that had a Realtek NIC on it - why does the Realtek NIC get a driver but not the Intel NIC? Why don't generic drivers work here?

Thanks Raja!

Realtek was used on virtually every motherboard when Windows 7 was released, so it made sense to include them.

Intel NICs are only recently becoming more popular (really, only the Z77 generation of boards), and are mostly reserved for the $150+ boards. In older generations, you would need a $200-300+ board to get Intel NICs, and even then, it was only a few select boards.

Hi Raja,

Sorry for raging, too much stress going on, too little sleep. I edited it out. Again, apologies.

1. For the mouse, unsure on drivers - I usually ignore the drivers from Mionix, but this time I tried to install them after I started having issues, but had little success with them. The experience I was seeing was that I'd boot into Windows, I had the Mouse plugged into the hub built into my Dell monitor (AW2310) along with a MS HD Webcam. On boot, the webcam would fire up fine (after WU/MU installed the Lifecam software, on next boot the webcam software started and displayed video - so the HUB works. However, on every boot, the mouse would try to install drivers, fail to install drivers, then just sit there unpowered. I would then unplug and replug the mouse, and it would get recognized fine.

If I plugged the mouse into the motherboard directly, same issue. The second I moved to my sidewinder, everything worked. What irks me is that the Naos 5000 was fine on my old x58 Sabertooth board, and that this issue happens in Parted Magic (a Linux distro I used to secure erase my SSD) as well, which makes me think this is not a Windows only issue, but a larger issue I don't understand. I don't fully understand the settings in the BIOS for the USB modes, could you go over the correct settings?

2. I've done an interactive WU scan, but I don't remember if I picked up SP1 - I'll look in my update history when I get home - interesting point though. What would cause the CPU to throttle? Temps remain at 61C or below while running IBT and Linx, which is pretty far from the point at which the CPU should throttle?

3. I seem to remember my x58 board however worked fine - looks like that had a Realtek NIC on it - why does the Realtek NIC get a driver but not the Intel NIC? Why don't generic drivers work here?

Thanks Raja!

Hi,

1) Last thing to check, remove the Dell monitor hub from the board entirely and see if the UEFI and Windows issues persist. For Windows this might have to be patched by Mionix. If there is a UEFI issue with the mouse plugged into the board and the Dell hub removed entirely then it is something we will need to look at.

2) CPU throttling would be either CPU temp too hot or VRM temp too hot. If neither of those are then your Gflops issue lies elsewhere and is not down to the board, more likely a setup issue or missing patch as stated earlier.

3) Tsumi answered this perfectly above. MS only added the drivers they saw most used. The Intel NICs are a more expensive part and are thus less used than their cheaper Realtek counterparts.

-Raja

Hi,

1) Last thing to check, remove the Dell monitor hub from the board entirely and see if the UEFI and Windows issues persist. For Windows this might have to be patched by Mionix. If there is a UEFI issue with the mouse plugged into the board and the Dell hub removed entirely then it is something we will need to look at.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

This has nothing to do with the hub. I have the mouse plugged DIRECTLY into the motherboard. Plugging the mouse into the USB ports, and the behavior is as so: if the mouse lights up when the system is POSTing, then it'll work in Windows too. If the mouse DOES NOT light up during POST, then it will not work in Windows until I unplug/plug the mouse back in. I really don't understand why this doesn't work: this is just a mouse. Windows needs no special drivers for this mouse to work, and this seems totally external to Windows, and very much related to the ASUS firmware. Also, it seems to happen more often from a cold boot, less often from a warm boot. Unplugging/plugging the mouse back in while within the UEFI bios, and the mouse will then work in the UEFI bios. I have also tried two separate Mionix NAOS mice: my one at home, and my one from work. Both exhibit the same problem.

Raja, is this a bug that can be addressed RIGHT NOW. If not, I am going to pack this board up and return it as a DOA and move away from ASUS, given I'm also having zero luck with the Wifi AP built in. I'm unwilling to reach under my desk and have to fiddle with USB connectors EVERY time I cold boot.

Thanks,
RA

Last edited:
Raja, is this a bug that can be addressed RIGHT NOW. If not, I am going to pack this board up and return it as a DOA and move away from ASUS...
Dude, just use another mouse. I have the exact same board and have had zero issues of any kind. Your board is not DOA. :rolleyes:

Just because the mouse worked on another system does not mean that you don't have some wacky driver issue going on with your new machine. USB hardware is not overly complicated. The USB port either works or it doesn't. If other USB devices work properly on that USB port, then there is nothing wrong with the motherboard and the issue is certainly related to software drivers.

Sometimes there are "optional" windows updates that have drivers for various mice, keyboards. Maybe your mouse driver is somehow incompatible with your new hardware. Is there a newer mouse driver version that you can try?

Personally, I really appreciate Raja and his presence on this forum. His presence here is why I chose to go with an Asus board for my build. Don't abuse him, please. I want to be able to have a civilized chat with him if I have an issue. :)

You can fix this issue, you just need to relax a bit. I understand the stresses of a new build all too well. Just realize that with the sheer complexity of computer hardware / software integration, there are a near infinite number of possible combinations of things that can go wrong. You found one of them, so now there are only infinity -1 more possible combinations. :D

Dude, just use another mouse. I have the exact same board and have had zero issues of any kind. Your board is not DOA. :rolleyes:

Just because the mouse worked on another system does not mean that you don't have some wacky driver issue going on with your new machine. USB hardware is not overly complicated. The USB port either works or it doesn't. If other USB devices work properly on that USB port, then there is nothing wrong with the motherboard and the issue is certainly related to software drivers.

Sometimes there are "optional" windows updates that have drivers for various mice, keyboards. Maybe your mouse driver is somehow incompatible with your new hardware. Is there a newer mouse driver version that you can try?

Personally, I really appreciate Raja and his presence on this forum. His presence here is why I chose to go with an Asus board for my build. Don't abuse him, please. I want to be able to have a civilized chat with him if I have an issue. :)

You can fix this issue, you just need to relax a bit. I understand the stresses of a new build all too well. Just realize that with the sheer complexity of computer hardware / software integration, there are a near infinite number of possible combinations of things that can go wrong. You found one of them, so now there are only infinity -1 more possible combinations. :D

No, USB isn't so simple, as this board is proving. If the mouse lights up (gets powered) on boot, it works fine. Fine in Windows, fine in Linux, fine in UEFI. It isn't a driver issue, given this is external to windows. As I said earlier, if I enter UEFI and the mouse isn't working, unplug it, plug it back in. Voila, it works.

Change mice? No. I bought this mouse because it is comfortable for me. I have large hands, and this mouse is perfect. I went and bought one for work. Why should I spend MORE money just to make this board work?

DOA? To me, yes. The USB is non-functional most of the time which to me means it is not working as it should be. I have 15 days to return the board, hence why I am saying if it cannot be fixed NOW, the board goes back and I buy an MSI board. Or an Intel board. Or something else. Out of the box this thing should JUST WORK. I shouldn't need to sit around going "why isn't my mouse working" - it worked on an X58 sabertooth. It works on my 2600/P8P68 machine at work. If it cannot work here, then I'm not staying with this board. I will not throw out an item I know and like for one I so far dislike. Given USB is an issue, AP mode on the wifi doesn't seem to be functional, coming back from suspend does not work...this board has nothing to really like. About the only good thing I can say is "I have UEFI now" - which pretty much any other board will also get me.

My Z77 board has USB issues too, you're not alone man.

Sadly, looking online I don't find much info though. The BIOS from 2 days ago didn't help any. :(

What issue are you having?

Edit, further info: When the device does not work in Windows, I see a "USB Device" in device manager. Windows is reporting error code 43 with it.

Last edited:
Hi Raja,

This has nothing to do with the hub. I have the mouse plugged DIRECTLY into the motherboard. Plugging the mouse into the USB ports, and the behavior is as so: if the mouse lights up when the system is POSTing, then it'll work in Windows too. If the mouse DOES NOT light up during POST, then it will not work in Windows until I unplug/plug the mouse back in. I really don't understand why this doesn't work: this is just a mouse. Windows needs no special drivers for this mouse to work, and this seems totally external to Windows, and very much related to the ASUS firmware. Also, it seems to happen more often from a cold boot, less often from a warm boot. Unplugging/plugging the mouse back in while within the UEFI bios, and the mouse will then work in the UEFI bios. I have also tried two separate Mionix NAOS mice: my one at home, and my one from work. Both exhibit the same problem.

Raja, is this a bug that can be addressed RIGHT NOW. If not, I am going to pack this board up and return it as a DOA and move away from ASUS, given I'm also having zero luck with the Wifi AP built in. I'm unwilling to reach under my desk and have to fiddle with USB connectors EVERY time I cold boot.

Thanks,
RA

Hi RA,

I understood this part earlier, what I would like to know is if the hub is plugged into any port at all if that affects the mouse at POST (when the mouse is plugged directly into the motherboard USB ports). Maybe I should have made myself a bit more clear. Card readers and external hubs can interfere with device detection even when the device in question is not plugged into them directly, hence the question.

HQ will first need to get the mouse, replicate and then patch so it could take some time. UEFI is not like legacy BIOS, some devices need a patch to work properly (you will find that with all vendors using UEFI now, some may have one device patched while others are still outstanding).

BTW be sure to use the latest AI Suite version for AP mode. I am having no issues with the latest version, the shipping version had some bugs.

-Raja

Last edited:
Hi, I have P8Z77-V pro and somehow the bios/board itself pretty much always while just browsing bios puts CPU Current Capability to 140%, That is one thing bothering me. What effect does it have for longevity of CPU and motherboard and what does it actually do?

Another thing is also about USB 4g modem through which I connect to internet and during 2 times I had to clear CMOS it was being detected by windows but somehow it wasnt receiving enough power because it just wasnt able to connect to nearest transmitter and powering whole PC on/off few times "somehow" cleared that issue, and yet it is an issue. Not sure if it is going to help but USB modem is manufactured by zte corporation model no: ax326 Wimax usb modem. Thank you.

Hi, I have P8Z77-V pro and somehow the bios/board itself pretty much always while just browsing bios puts CPU Current Capability to 140%, That is one thing bothering me. What effect does it have for longevity of CPU and motherboard and what does it actually do?

Another thing is also about USB 4g modem through which I connect to internet and during 2 times I had to clear CMOS it was being detected by windows but somehow it wasnt receiving enough power because it just wasnt able to connect to nearest transmitter and powering whole PC on/off few times "somehow" cleared that issue, and yet it is an issue. Not sure if it is going to help but USB modem is manufactured by zte corporation model no: ax326 Wimax usb modem. Thank you.

1) CPU current capability is related to the CPU VRM, it just sets the maximum current the VRM will deliver before the CPU throttles or the system shutsdown. This has no direct impact on the longevity of the processor on its own.

2) The USB ports will supply 500ma to any device on a USB 2.0 port. Is the system overclocked in any way (BCLK especially or unstable memory?)?

-Raja

Hi RA,

I understood this part earlier, what I would like to know is if the hub is plugged into any port at all if that affects the mouse at POST (when the mouse is plugged directly into the motherboard USB ports). Maybe I should have made myself a bit more clear. Card readers and external hubs can interfere with device detection even when the device in question is not plugged into them directly, hence the question.

HQ will first need to get the mouse, replicate and then patch so it could take some time. UEFI is not like legacy BIOS, some devices need a patch to work properly (you will find that with all vendors using UEFI now, some may have one device patched while others are still outstanding).

BTW be sure to use the latest AI Suite version for AP mode. I am having no issues with the latest version, the shipping version had some bugs.

-Raja

And when would you expect this to actually be finished? And would fixing it in UEFI fix it in Windows?

1) CPU current capability is related to the CPU VRM, it just sets the maximum current the VRM will deliver before the CPU throttles or the system shutsdown. This has no direct impact on the longevity of the processor on its own.

2) The USB ports will supply 500ma to any device on a USB 2.0 port. Is the system overclocked in any way (BCLK especially or unstable memory?)?

-Raja

Thank you, It happens both when overclocked and at stock it just happens to correct itself over time (and now modem is not working correctly after a lot of powering on/off and I was able to replicate it every single time after clear CMOS so it must be bios issue).

And I also would like to know how accurate are on board voltage sensors for this motherboard because it sometimes reports both cpu and +12V as 0.00V?

Thank you, It happens both when overclocked and at stock it just happens to correct itself over time (and now modem is not working correctly after a lot of powering on/off and I was able to replicate it every single time after clear CMOS so it must be bios issue).

And I also would like to know how accurate are on board voltage sensors for this motherboard because it sometimes reports both cpu and +12V as 0.00V?

1) For the zte corporation model no: ax326 Wimax usb modem, which port is it connected to? Does it happen on all ports or just specific ones?

2) Are you using any other monitoring software like AIDA, HWinfo etc with Ai Suite? If you do then sensor readings will misreport. Use only one tool at a time or disable some of the sensors that are being polled by other tools.

-Raja

1) all ports are the same, even when I connect to my case front usb headers. Somehow today when I powered on pc and only then connected usb modem it connected fine (not a single bios change happened) but yesterday that didnt help :confused: . But funny stuff is when this usb modem manages to connect to internet it will connect every single time no problem whatsoever (it doest matter if I leave it plugged in when I turn on pc or if I connect it only when I'm already in windows it will connect every time until I clear CMOS).
2) thank you and yes I'm using cpu-z+aida64+ai suite so you just solved this problem :)

1) all ports are the same, even when I connect to my case front usb headers. Somehow today when I powered on pc and only then connected usb modem it connected fine (not a single bios change happened) but yesterday that didnt help :confused: . But funny stuff is when this usb modem manages to connect to internet it will connect every single time no problem whatsoever (it doest matter if I leave it plugged in when I turn on pc or if I connect it only when I'm already in windows it will connect every time until I clear CMOS).
2) thank you and yes I'm using cpu-z+aida64+ai suite so you just solved this problem :)

Hi,

1) Will pass on to HQ. Not sure if the drievrs are at fault here also. Depends if HQ can get the same USB dongle in Taiwan.

PS what UEFI version are you using and what other USB devices do you have plugged in? They will ask this info, it is relevant.

-Raja

UEFI (bios?) 1015 but it was also happening on stock bios shipped with motherboard (this is why I flashed to newest bios in the first place). The only 2 other usb devices plugged in motherboard usb2 ports are logitech g15 rev2 keyboard and logitech G5 mouse with newest drivers from logitech website.

Btw on another note when modem started working today at the same time my overclock which was stable for 12 hours prime95 blend stress test yesterday, is not stable today for even 5 minutes (tried few times already, now testing stock just to be sure its not something else) and it is not stable, even after upping voltage from 1.28 to 1.3 (manual voltage because I was still testing stability of overclock which seemed rock stable yesterday). I'm confused, will update later about results...

Last edited:
OK I'm having an issue with my Z77 Sabertooth with the latest drivers that's driving me nuts. No matter what USB port I have the keyboard plugged into (tested 2 different keyboards with and without my KVM switch) I can't change values in boot screens. The BIOS works fine and Windows works fine but I can't, for example, access the RAID menu and I can only occasionally get into the BIOS. What is strange is that the esc key and enter key work but all other keys seem to be ignored. if the system is restarted after a crash and I try to tell it to load windows normally it is ignored or just stops.

I've replaced this motherboard once as I had USB 3.0 issues with the driver always crashing the system but the replacement worked fine until about a week ago. I'm using the latest BIOS whic may be the culprit, but if anyone has encountered this issue I would like to hear about it. :(

Back