ASUS Z71V versus Dell 9300

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Looking into a laptop that is moderately portable, games good, and has decent battery life. Thinking of either a Dell 9300, or an ASUS Z71V. Specs:

Code:
[B]Dell 9300[/B]
Pentium M @ 1.73GHz
1GB DDR2-533
nVidia 6800go
80GB Hard Drive (4200RPM, 8MB Cache)
1-year warranty with accidental damage coverage

[B]$1700[/B]

Code:
[B]ASUS Z71V[/B]
Pentium M @ 2.0GHz
1GB DDR2-533
nVidia 6600go
80GB Hard Drive (5400RPM, 16MB Cache)

[B]$1400[/B]

In short, the differences are:

Code:
Cost - Dell is $300 more
Video card - 6800 vs 6600
Processor - 270MHz is a lot on the Pentium M
Hard Drive (upgradeable, but stil...)
Warranty - The Dell has 1 year of "don't think about it," while the ASUS has the headache of having to fix everything myself (yes, I can fix it myself.  no, I don't want to)
Battery - The ASUS will obviously get more life with it's smaller video card

What to do?

WHOS SAYING THAT?

9300 80gb hdd with 5400rpm dude.
and it's 6800go not 6600go as asus.
and it will only cost you $1400 shipped after using coupon.

sniff sniff

1more comment.

it's not even a game....

for the price spec lcd quality 9300 way better....

maxkilla said:
WHOS SAYING THAT?

sniff sniff

wrong, z71v has a 6600go, you are wrong.

go with the dell, more powerful gpu and depending on your games (you never stated what you played) i'd just go with the dell.

maxkilla said:
WHOS SAYING THAT?

9300 80gb hdd with 5400rpm dude.
and it will only cost you $1400 shipped after using coupon.

sniff sniff
Nope, 6600go in ASUS. And that price is WITH the $750 off coupon. Original is like $2250, $750 off, robbery on tax, totals right at $1700.

most "built on asus" laptops will have a 1 year reseller warantee... I've been looking at the z71v and z70va and the cheapest place I could find the z71v was at mwave.com and the z70va was at c9tech.com

the z70va (refresh model) is pretty good. Standard assortment of optional parts, with 15.4 screen, carbon alloy (very light) body, and a x700.

the dell's screen is shit, my coworker has one, its only WXGA+, it has HORRIBLE Light leakage, and plus its dell, dell is always cheap plasticy construction, the z71v has a WSXGA+ screen, and also its not even in the same class, it has a 15.4" screen and was designed to be portable, the dell is a DTR, the asus will slaughter the dell in battery life and portability while retaining the ability to play any new game.

also the dell does not have a gigabit lan card, you cant even use the clone mac function with the cheap card it has

the asus has a broadcom gigabit card and it DOES support clone mac,

gulp25: You are aware that the z71 model mwave.com has for the 'cheap' price is the one without the good videocard...right? Its the z71a. If you want the one with the 6600go, its the z71v model you want. geared2play.com has it for quite a bit less than mwave.com.

EDIT: Alright, maybe not. I didn't see you get some basic stuff with the mwave.com version. Pretty low end parts though.

klowngoblin said:
dell is always cheap plasticy construction, the z71v has a WSXGA+ screen, and also its not even in the same class,
Everybody else's laptop (with the exception of the Thinkpad) is made out of plastic numb nuts, in any event the newer Dells have alot more internal frame work than prior models that were prone to flexing. Definitely sturdy Laptops.

you cant even use the clone mac function with the cheap card it has
I don't see how anyone other than a l337 h4x0r needs that function. If you have to spoof your MAC address to get on a network, you probably shouldn't be on that network IN THE FIRST PLACE. If it's your ISP being ghey, just get a router and be done with it. Hell, the 3Com internal NIC on my i8200 doesn't support MAC address cloning and 3Com is by no means cheap nor shit.

Mr_Evil said:
Everybody else's laptop (with the exception of the Thinkpad) is made out of plastic numb nuts, in any event the newer Dells have alot more internal frame work than prior models that were prone to flexing. Definitely sturdy Laptops.

I don't see how anyone other than a l337 h4x0r needs that function. If you have to spoof your MAC address to get on a network, you probably shouldn't be on that network IN THE FIRST PLACE. If it's your ISP being ghey, just get a router and be done with it. Hell, the 3Com internal NIC on my i8200 doesn't support MAC address cloning and 3Com is by no means cheap nor shit.

Don't feed the trolls, man :)
Just ordered a 9300 myself with the TrueLife display (40% off coupon? Why not!)
Waiting, but I'll certainly make a thread or add a shit ton to another once I get it.

Mr_Evil said:

MAC cloning can be done with most any card in Linux ;)

well if you don't like Mwave here are the other resellers I've search'd and Priced the z71v at... from least expensive to most:
mwave.com
rjtech.com
Directron.com
c9tech.com
Geared2play.com
istnc.com
DiscountLaptops.com ProPortable.com (unsure b/c I didn't calc in shipping, but it was on the high end)

Note this is not barebones but full system prices. If you want a barebones system look over here: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about2677.html

Back