Asus Z370-g Strix, no lan nor wifi driver, what to do?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I don't have a cd reader as I have not used those for 10 years so I can't use the cd that comes with the motherboard (when will hardware manufacturers start using 2-4gb USB sticks? They are dirty cheap).

After installing Wondows 10 Pro I went to Asus website and downloaded Intel Lan driver but the installation fails saying that there is no Intel adapters present in the system!
I of course downloaded drivers for the right motherboard.

I also can't seem to flash BIOS. I downloaded some .cap file but it complains it's not a valid BIOS file.

I have no way of connecting to internet. Fortunately I have other computers I can download drivers from, but this is ridiculous. There are no drivers on the damn Asus page for the motherboard.

Any suggestions?

So I tried to install Intel Lan drives downloaded directly from Intel.
Same problem.
I only have Bluetooth drivers on which I finally managed to connect to the internet through my Note 8.
However it's so damn slow and it's pointless anyway since I can download stuff on my other computer and transfer through USB stick.

Now, BIOS from Asus isn't working. Invalid bios file (USB stick is formatted to FAT32).
Lan drivers from BOTH Asus and Intel are not working. Same problem on both.
I tried 3 different wifi drivers from Realtek, Broadcom and one more and none work.

Is the motherboard busted or what the hell is wrong?
But everything is working fucking normally except the software.
It's almost 2018, why is the shit still not working out of the box?

Omg I solved the network issue.
I downloaded the lan driver (same model) from the future Windows update through Microsoft page, then extracted it, went to device manager and installed the drivers by searching on my computer.
What a piece of shit. If I download a driver directly from Asus then the motherfucking thing should work.

Now only if I could get bios to update...

Never use stuff like Intel drivers from Asus download page. They're always seriously outdated.

For the Intel NIC on that motherboard you can look here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V (if you download and unzip the whole drivers CD you should be able to install the drivers with the autorun.exe in that folder)

Generally speaking you can find any Intel driver at https://downloadcenter.intel.com and it will be the latest official release, not some old crap Asus found on a memstick in a moving box from last year.

The correct bios for your motherboard is located here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download

If that doesn't work you either got a broken usb stick (use one of the ports directly on the motherboard, no hubs or frontpanel extensions), or you need to double check what motherboard you actually have. It should be a .cap file. That part is correct. In my experience modern Asus uefi updaters will even read ntfs formatted usb sticks. But generally speaking, use a plain FAT formatted stick to be sure. Size is not really an issue with these uefi firmware files anyway.

Get 7-zip to unpack any compressed files, that should eliminate any snafu due to bad unzipping.

I'll try that link when I get home. But it looks like the one I downloaded before. Version 0430.
I went to Asus website for Strix Z370-G Gaming and then support and downloads and downloaded BIOS ver 0430. It's not a mistake someone who's been working with computers for 20 years make ;)

Thank God for Microsoft software, without them we would be in deep shit with hardware manufacturers drivers.

In general never use motherboard oem vendor pages for anything. Bios updates and extremely custom hardware drivers only (in-house controller). And you often have to flash from certain ports, typically black 2.0-only or dual-mode 2.0/3.0 pch ports, not other controller 3.0 ports; and even some back panel ports are actually hubs now.

Laptops used to be more annoying but win10 has finished killing almost all of that stupidity. The only recent thing that can be a pain sometimes is thunderbolt drivers/software, which is usually ends up a firmware problem anyways.

In general never use motherboard oem vendor pages for anything. Bios updates and extremely custom hardware drivers only (in-house controller). And you often have to flash from certain ports, typically black 2.0-only or dual-mode 2.0/3.0 pch ports, not other controller 3.0 ports; and even some back panel ports are actually hubs now.

Laptops used to be more annoying but win10 has finished killing almost all of that stupidity. The only recent thing that can be a pain sometimes is thunderbolt drivers/software, which is usually ends up a firmware problem anyways.

Hmm I'll try through USB 2.0 port then as I've only tried 3.0.
USB stick was found though, and the file was preset as well, but BIOS just complained that it's not a valid file.

If you look on the ASUS website, some MoBos have a small piece of software from ASUS called a re-namer.
It is downloaded with the BIOS .cap file so it is recognized properly.

USB 3.0 should work fine. I just got a Maximus X Hero and flashed the BIOS using the back panel 3.0 ports, no issues.

Secondly, does the board have more than 1 BIOS chip?
If so try switching to the other chip.

Dumb question, but you extracted the BIOS file from the zip file you downloaded before trying to use EZ-Flash, correct?

Hi Nebell!

I'm glad you found a solution for this. I have the same motherboard and the SAME problem :(

Affirmative, the ASUS website drivers won't do a thing. But how did you download the correct drivers and install them from the Windows Update?? I hope you can help me.

Thank you!

Reminds me, I have to flash the fuking bios on my asus mobo cuz of that dumbass intel exploits.

Now I have got to take fucking photos of every bloody page in the bios so I can put the correct settings back in after the flash, arghh.

Reminds me, I have to flash the fuking bios on my asus mobo cuz of that dumbass intel exploits.

Now I have got to take fucking photos of every bloody page in the bios so I can put the correct settings back in after the flash, arghh.

You can't save your settings and export them?
Look in the Tools menu.

Actually never thought of that.

I barely if ever use my pc anymore, I can do everything except proper gaming on my ipad, if I need to use my pc I waken it via ipad and vnc into it.

The last time I was even in my bios was I built my z170 6700k rig, I will have a look and see what can be done.

Cheers for the tip ;)

Back