:( asus Z170 sabertooth mark1 - boot_device_led

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I just built a new system with the above Mobo, booted up at first and basically all I did was in the ai menu change to XMP profile, so the g.skill ram would run at 2800 etc. Rebooted, and now, all I get is red boot_device_led.

I tried every manner of resetting the bios to default, from C.P.R. to clearing cmos jumper, then I successfully updated the bios via the rear USB port (with the blue blinking bios update light).

The only thing I didn't do was remove the battery. I also tried removing basically every peripheral cable except the HDMI.
Results are always the same. boot device led. It seems weird, I was in the bios for 10-15 minutes before saving the changes, and now it's dead?!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

unplug the power cable, remove the cmos battery, hit the power button a couple times to discharge all the caps and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. put the battery back in and plug it back in. see if that clears it properly. if that doesn't help, rip it all apart and try getting it going outside the case with just the basics; one stick of ram, nothing else connected, use onboard video if you can. test the cmos battery if you can, should be 3.2v. hope that helps and good luck.

Hi, thanks pendragon1! I did get it going, the unfortunate thing was is that there was absolutely nothing wrong - the lack of video output after the first post was entirely due to a dp-hdmi adapter. So, it was kind of a comedy of errors but without the humour! Because it posted to the monitor at first, I had no reason to suspect anything wrong with the display output. I also didn't know the the mobo's hdmi port works (I mistakenly thought that those ports only function with intel cpu's that have gpu on die). But after removing the battery, draining caps etc. as per above didn't work, I eventually pulled the gpu, tried the hdmi port and it booted right up.

The adapter has a glitch that every time it loses signal, like on a reboot, it needs to be unplugged and replugged to reacquire source video! It's 2 hours I'll never get back!

Back