Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura Boot_Device_LED on after sleep

epander

n00b
Hello all, I've got an annoying issue with my z170 aura board. The device doesn't seem to have any issues as far as stability goes, however, after being brought back from sleep the Boot_Device green LED stays lit. On a fresh boot or restart the led does not light up, and it hasn't lit up prior to going to sleep. I've tried disconnecting all drives except my primary ssd (850 evo), disconnecting my gtx 960 gpu, swapping out RAM, running ram at xmp/non xmp speeds, and turning off my cpu overclock. So far nothing seems to stop it from staying lit. Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Like I said there haven't been any stability problems so far, but it is kind of annoying.

Hey, i have exactly the same Problem with the same mobo (just without Aura). Asus Support basically said i should not care if there is no other Problem. I will try a clean install of win10 today, all the other stuff made no difference ( Switch energy modes, unplug hdd's. cmos reset etc.)

Asus Z170 pro gaming
840 Evo 120GB
I7 6700K
KFA2 GTX 1070
2 X 8GB Corsair Vengeance Led

Hey, i have exactly the same Problem with the same mobo (just without Aura). Asus Support basically said i should not care if there is no other Problem. I will try a clean install of win10 today, all the other stuff made no difference ( Switch energy modes, unplug hdd's. cmos reset etc.)

Asus Z170 pro gaming
840 Evo 120GB
I7 6700K
KFA2 GTX 1070
2 X 8GB Corsair Vengeance Led

Huh, I wonder if a bios update might fix it then? I might try downgrading my bios to a previous version and see if that works. Pretty sure I remember seeing the led shortly after my fresh install of W10 so I don't think that will help you unfortunately.

I'm on the newest Bios Version, you too? I did a fresh indtall too, but did not secure erase the ssd in the bios before.
Maybe we should both just ignore it, but somehow it is annoying :D

I'm on the newest Bios Version, you too? I did a fresh indtall too, but did not secure erase the ssd in the bios before.
Maybe we should both just ignore it, but somehow it is annoying :D

Haha it is SO annoying! It's throwing off the LED vibe in my case! Also I was installing from a new out of the box SSD so that shouldn't have any effect.. Yeah I'm on the latest bios version too, I upgraded pretty much immediately. I guess I'm going to try and roll back to see if it is fixed. If it is then I'll call too and let them know it is a bios issue.

Ok thanks, you saved me 10 hours of work, in that case i will not reinstall. If your SSD was out of the box then mine can't be an issue at all. Last Option: Bios rollback, i will give it a try too tomorrow.

I have the same board I think, z170 pro gaming, but what is this aura boot device, I have never heard of it and I dont think its in my bios, although I am not using latest bios, I am one down from the latest.

Nevermind, mines is the z170 pro gaming, non aura and has no rgb leds, just red leds i believe.

I have the same board I think, z170 pro gaming, but what is this aura boot device, I have never heard of it and I dont think its in my bios, although I am not using latest bios, I am one down from the latest.

Nevermind, mines is the z170 pro gaming, non aura and has no rgb leds, just red leds i believe.

It's one of the startup LED checks, your board should have it as well.

It maybe has, but i have disabled all my leds as I hate the red glow through the side window, I did buy a metal side for my case corsair 800D, but I have never got around to putting it on, maybe one day ?

It maybe has, but i have disabled all my leds as I hate the red glow through the side window, I did buy a metal side for my case corsair 800D, but I have never got around to putting it on, maybe one day ?

Ah I see, is there a way to disable the status led's?? That would be perfect, but I don't see an option to do it

I dont think you can disable the status LED's, an yes - they are red on the non aura version.

There are 4 Leds on the top right of the Motherboard

VGA_LED
MEMORY_LED
CPU_LED
BOOT_DEVICE_LED

And another one at the bottom.

I dont think you can disable the status LED's, an yes - they are red on the non aura version.

There are 4 Leds on the top right of the Motherboard

VGA_LED
MEMORY_LED
CPU_LED
BOOT_DEVICE_LED

And another one at the bottom.

Oh those leds you cant disable, the ones beside the ram sticks ?

I was on about the red breathing mode etc that has a huge red line flash on and off, it goes along the mobo and around the sound chip and breathing mode is one of a few different modes, I disabled that as it was annoying.

It seems like on the Z170 Board its not possible to downgrade the Bios :/

It is not possible to downgrade the bios using software supplied by Asus. I destroyed my Asus Z170-A updating to (3007). My only alternative now is to send the board back to Asus for chip replacement. Pretty stupid if you ask me , I ended up replacing the board and will be hesitant in the future to buy a Asus branded MB again after this. Update at your own risk

Ok here the reply from ASUS support:

thank you for your request to our support.

This might be a problem with the bios version 3016. There will be a new version soon.

You can perform a cmos reset:

> 1. Disconnect the power supply from the computer or switch off the power supply
> 2. Remove the battery (button cell)
> 3. Replace the battery and insert it "turned around". Please wait 5 minutes
> 4. Replace the battery correctly
> 5. Reconnect the power plug or switch on the power supply and the computer
start anew
> 6. Please go to the BIOS and load the default settings with F5

and check again.

Please don't hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions.
We are committed to customer satisfaction.
You will receive in the next few days by e-mail a link to your satisfaction survey.
We would be very happy if you take the survey and evaluate our service.

Your answers will help us identify the areas where we could improve.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,kind regards

Technical Support Division ASUS Germany
i.A. Torsten Heitmann
Cool thanks for the info, hope they get that bios update out soon. Resetting cmos definitely doesn't work

I guess that the company's busy with their new AM4 boards and they forgot to fix the issue plaguing their Z170 mobos. Maybe ask for a BETA bios that has supposedly fixed the issue?

Still no bios update for the Aura unfortunately, that sucks the non Aura didn't get fixed though

Same problem here on different mobo - Asus Rog Strix B250F Gaming.

Boot_Device_LED stays lit after wake up from sleep.

Same problem here on different mobo - Asus Rog Strix B250F Gaming.

Boot_Device_LED stays lit after wake up from sleep.

I spoke to Asus and they indicated it is a problem with 'your HD/SSD not going into sleep state correctly'. They said it can be effected by boot and non-boot drives. I have a few older hard drives which I guess could be causing the problem. Still really annoying and if that's the case they should give us an option to turn the indicator off. Anyway they also just released new bios, so I will try that as well

I spoke to Asus and they indicated it is a problem with 'your HD/SSD not going into sleep state correctly'. They said it can be effected by boot and non-boot drives. I have a few older hard drives which I guess could be causing the problem. Still really annoying and if that's the case they should give us an option to turn the indicator off. Anyway they also just released new bios, so I will try that as well

Just wondering what SSD are you guys using for those with the same issue? I'm using Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" without any HDD.

As our PC have no issues before and after waking up from sleep apart from Boot_Device_LED staying lit after sleep, I doubt our SSD has any problem. Has anyone else tried with a different brand?

EDIT: Another user with the same Strix B250F motherboard with Sandisk SSD have the same issue too so it's not limited to a particular SSD. Pretty sure it's an Asus bios bug instead.

Last edited:
I have same problem with Asus STRIX H270I GAMING, the VGA_LED [white] comes on and stays on after suspend/resume. Video works fine though, so it looks like a BIOS bug.

its probably just the bios triggering that LED because of the mobo's diagnostic state, if your boards had the full LED Diagnostic screen on it like the higher end boards do instead of just the basic LED's it would be spitting out a two digit code at all times even when everything is working normally. on my IX Formula board normal fresh boot up final code is A0 but sense i have fastboot enabled if i shutdown and start back up my standard last code at that point is 40 (which just means fastboot handoff or something i forget when i looked it up) i did accidentally put my PC into sleep mode the other day and upon resuming the Code was something else all together but i forget what it was. I can check tonight if you wish but that diag code for whatever reason most likely is triggering the boot device LED on the more basic boards. its something they could perhaps fix in a bios update but in reality theres no actual problem so either A) ignore it or B) stop using suspend.

My personal suggestion is stop using suspend/sleep modes because they often cause strange issues and for me at least with a 960 Evo as my boot drive and fastboot enabled my computer starts up and shuts down faster the normal way vs sleep mode anyways.

Just an update to my previous post. My new STRIX H270I died after a week and I had it replaced. The replacement's BOOT_DEVICE_LED (yellow-green) comes on and stays on after suspend/resume. I'm using the same M.2 drives as on the first mobo, 1 SATA & 1 PCIEx4 and they both work fine, so it looks like a BIOS bug. Asus has put too much useless bling and LEDs on these mobos, I hope they can fix this mess.

reb00tin i have the vga_led white light after wake from resume on my b250f gaming board. Jesus, I hope this doesn't mean mine is about to die too, I just built this machine last week!?!

The only change I have made is I updated to the latest bios release 7/28 0809, and at the same time purchased a new monitor and switched from dvi to display port. not sure if its the bios, or fact I'm using display port now.

Area all you guys using display port, does same thing happen if you use dvi or a diff monitor? I have to get my old one out of storage to check and will report back.

One more question...did any of you have a problem with the windows loading screen. After the Bios Logo i get the w10 loading screen then i get a black screen and then the loading screen again but a bit laggy and then the windows Login.

yes I have same exact issue. maybe thats normal.?

reb00tin i have the vga_led white light after wake from resume on my b250f gaming board. Jesus, I hope this doesn't mean mine is about to die too, I just built this machine last week!?!

The only change I have made is I updated to the latest bios release 7/28 0809, and at the same time purchased a new monitor and switched from dvi to display port. not sure if its the bios, or fact I'm using display port now.

Area all you guys using display port, does same thing happen if you use dvi or a diff monitor? I have to get my old one out of storage to check and will report back.

I don't think it means your mobo will die, it's just a BIOS bug from all the useless aura-LED bling.

After a BIOS update mine now has VGA_LED [white] staying on after suspend/resume, instead of BOOT_DEVICE_LED (green), though video works fine and there's no VGA card.

I don't think it means your mobo will die, it's just a BIOS bug from all the useless aura-LED bling.

After a BIOS update mine now has VGA_LED [white] staying on after suspend/resume, instead of BOOT_DEVICE_LED (green), though video works fine and there's no VGA card.

ok cool i was hoping thats all it is, tks man.

welp now a red light is coming on after wake from sleep, so the red and white lights is on. I think red light means cpu, i'm not quite sure its hard to tell? I'm wondering again now if I should be concerned.

welp now a red light is coming on after wake from sleep, so the red and white lights is on. I think red light means cpu, i'm not quite sure its hard to tell? I'm wondering again now if I should be concerned.

red light hasn't come back on again, maybe the cpu was hot not sure. it happened after a real long sleep maybe is the issue. now i'm back to ju8st the white light on after wake.

red light hasn't come back on again, maybe the cpu was hot not sure. it happened after a real long sleep maybe is the issue. now i'm back to ju8st the white light on after wake.

I too have VGA_LED [white] staying on after suspend/resume. The computer works fine otherwise, so it's a BIOS bug or wrong wiring of the POST state LEDs.

I too have VGA_LED [white] staying on after suspend/resume. The computer works fine otherwise, so it's a BIOS bug or wrong wiring of the POST state LEDs.

well I disabled sleep altogther now in windows 10. I don't know if was a bios or windows update that created further problems or not. But I also have sound issues when wake and resume. Audio Crackling.

The Audio Crackling only happens after wake form sleep. not a huge problem, but for an audiophile like me noticeable. I have to disable sleep, and I think a good thing to do in case any other problems. I didn't notice earlier probably because I was playing with an dac/amp (sennheiser gsx 1000), which was crackle/pop free.

As I said only other problem I had with the strix b250f, besides vga light and audio crackle after resume from sleep, is having to reseat the graphics card to avoid random win 10 boot crashes. (tk goodness to these forums for that one, I would of ended up returning the pc...lol) Performance wise everything is as expected.

I've left all the same power save settings. I only disabled system sleep mode. It is common to have wake from resume problems with most operating systems, and I figure why take the risk at this point. It does have a 3 years warranty but I would like it to last double that.

Latest BIOS update fixes all my issues. chipset update even improved performance tremendously. Asus is great! Happy New Year all.

Problems with ALL kinda Asus mobos.... the Strix boards man..a bunch..the Z270F is stuck on the yellow Dram LED still....Blows I thought it was a better board though...clocked better at least. And Asus Arguably has always been one of the Stronger Forces in Power Delivery, mosfets/phases. This Gigabyte seems Reliable though...does seem a little weaker in the Power Delivery area though.

Last edited:
Problems with ALL kinda Asus mobos.... the Strix boards man..a bunch..the Z270F is stuck on the yellow Dram LED still....Blows I thought it was a better board though...clocked better at least. And Asus Arguably has always been one of the Stronger Forces in Power Delivery, mosfets/phases. This Gigabyte seems Reliable though...does seem a little weaker in the Power Delivery area though.

did you report the bug to asus? They seemed to have fixed this one for my on my strix b250f. Also contrary to popular beliefs about this latest patches for meltdown and spectre. I got a huge increase in performance, not a loss, after updating bios and chipset. This has made me a huge fan of asus right now.

I always prefer gigabytes for workstations and server boards. I like their security better. But i have a gigabyte board only 3 years old, they didn't even have a bios update for it...

Well I spoke too soon. It seems no board manufacturer updates a board with security patches more then 2 years old. Wow. This is a huge revelation. We now entered the time where we have to upgrade our pc every year to stay up to date security wise? like its an android phone!?! I guarantee you these types of attacks are only going to get worse.

Also, I'm still having slight audio pops after pc resumes from sleep. doesn't matter if from admin account or not.

I think all asus did, was stop the vga light from showing, but they didn't address the actual problem thats going on....lol I'm still scared to use suspend mode with this board. I guess this is not a critical issue, but still disappointing.

Last edited:
Ok I take it back. must of fixed it self. or maybe its so rare now its of no concern. I'm suspending again and not noticing any issues. Asus did a great bios update too. because I have none of this supposed slowdown from the microcode update. In fact I got an increase in performance lol. Bravo.

latest audio drivers actually had a wrose problem. had to roll audio drivers back to 8090. Found out that I was getting random pops because of sonic studio in particular.. and with latest drivers and sonic getting random audio dropouts and stutters, almost crashing bf1 game. system instability even tabbing out back to desktop with programs.. even reinstalled fresh copy of windows same problem.

Thought it was my vid card drivers at first. Till I realized I didn't get the issues if I didn't run sonic studio. But not only that. now after rolling back to 8090 realtek drivers. I even have way more bass and much fuller sound. so something was def not right with the latest audio drivers.

Turns out no matter what I do sleep mode causes audio dropouts and random pops, especially with intensive games like bf1. Still have to avoid sleepmode on this b250f board even after they fixed the vga light issue.

Back