ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Has anyone started having problems resuming from sleep after upgrading to Windows 10? Tried going back to stock, still having problems occasionally.

I'm having a problem with a X99-Deluxe/U3.1 build for a customer. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to my Asus rep:
We have a build using a X99-Deluxe/U3.1 and 8 sticks of Crucial BL8G4D26AFTA. When we set the XMP setting on the BIOS, or set the frequency manually to 2666MHz the system either does not POST or 2 sticks of RAM will not show up in the BIOS. I have tried playing with the voltage and timings manually. I have also run the system with just 4 sticks and have the same problem. The RAM runs fine and passes Memtest86 at 2400MHz. We are running the newest BIOS (1801).

Does anyone know good voltage/timing settings for this board and RAM? I tried upping the System Agent voltage, CPU and DRAM voltage without luck. Either 1 channel of RAM will disappear or the system will not POST and I have to clear the CMOS.

Running windows 10 with the x99 Sabertooth, I've installed all the drivers from the Asus site, all my gpu drivers, sound card drivers, everything else drivers and my device manager is still full of !

Anyone have any idea what I'm missing drivers for? Windows update can't find anything for them.

yYvpK8c.png

BIOS 1901 for X99 Deluxe is out, changelog says that "improves system stability".
this is like all other asus changelog, they always improve system stability, since the first bios they improved system stability dozens of times.

I think that I can do 6GHz with 1V now.

Installed my new 5820k/X99-AUSB3.1/DDR4 upgrade kit over the weekend. My most expensive upgrade yet (by far) but I really needed to get much more encoding and video editing performance from my earlier 3570k. x264 encoding performance is 40-50% better. That's about where the good news ends.

The bad news is that I get the random windows logo boot hangs (and blank screen with blinking cursor sometimes). As I do most of my video editing/transcoding on Linux, this is a dual boot system and I get boot hangs there too (and being Linux I actually do get an error message although it's confusing, it seems to error while trying to wakeup the CPUs, long before any USB driver/device initialization).

I found this article and many others about this issue. So far these are the workarounds I have implemented:
- disabled fast boot
- disabled xHCI controller (makes the USB3.0 ports USB2?)
- disabled the 3.1 controller (this wasn't recommended but I don't use those ports so I disabled it anyway)
- disabled all "legacy hand-off" except the EHCI one needed for keyboard/mouse which are USB1.0 connected to USB2.0 ports
- updated to the last BIOS version

After doing all this it indeed does seem like it's hanging much less often than before but IT STILL HANGS! This is completely UNACCEPTABLE for an expensive X99 motherboard. I didn't buy the cheapest X99 board, I bought a brand name board like ASUS. I expect quality not problems.

I performed stress tests with 100% all 12 hyper-threads encoding for one hour, no errors (MCE or otherwise). I ran memtest86 for hours, no issues.

My connected USB devices:
- some cheapo logitech keyboard/mouse connected on the first/top-most USB 2.0 ports (rear panel)
- Logitech 3d extreme pro joystick (USB 2.0 port rear panel)
- Creative Labs Arena USB headphones (USB 2.0 port rear panel)
- Logitech Webcam C920 (USB 3.0 port rear panel)

Other than the keyboard/mouse (which are pretty cheap) if this problem turns out to be because of one of the other USB devices used (some kind of incompatibility with this motherboard) please note that changing/not using those devices is NOT POSSIBLE. The C920 is a top web camera used by many game streamers and it's new, I see no reason to just get rid of it/exchange it. The joystick is not expensive but I payed $35 for a joystick because I don't need an expensive one, don't tell me now that I need to buy another one, that's BS. The headphones I love in terms of audio quality and am using the same model on different computers/laptops/at work/etc.

I'm in the 30 days Newegg refund policy term and I'm leaning towards returning the board and getting a different brand. Other than the fact that the other brands aren't as good in terms of build quality (worse board layout, worse overclocking support) at least they probably don't hang because of USB devices.

Can someone confirm that they fixed their windows logo hanging problems simply by getting a non-ASUS X99 motherboard? (ie while keeping the same CPU/memory and set of connected USB devices)

Thanks!

I had that problem before with my x99 deluxe and the boot settings was the cause. Go to the page with the usb initialization/fast boot etc and pick the slowest options. Try mixing and matching too.

Booting up fails 8/10 times right? And sometimes it freezes during the circle boot up screen. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong because it boots up fine with the default settings.

@Agenesis thanks for your response.

Like I said I'm already using the "fast boot: false" setting. Previously I tried "fast boot: true and USB initialization: full". I get the hang pretty rare (maybe 1 in 10 boots?) which makes it hard to reproduce and test different settings but it is still often enough that I'm not sure if I want to use this motherboard with such an issue for the next 3+ years (my plan is to upgrade to broadwell-e octo core when a good deal becomes possible after its release in March 2016). Doesn't look like a great idea to use this motherboard long term when it's already having some big issues as new.

When it starts to hang (most often happens in the boot logo animation that Windows 7 does, sometimes more rarely it does the blank screen with blinking cursor before even starting to boot Windows) it keeps on hanging for many (3+) consecutive reboots if I use the hardware "reset" button. But it seems to generally stop doing that if I just shut it down instead.

Test Setup

So yesterday I spent over 3 hours investigating this, over 100 reboots. First, I established a reproducing scenario:
  1. unplug the computer, press the power button (to drain capacitors, etc)
  2. plug it back, power it on (already set to boot automatically to Windows 7 x64)
  3. if it doesn't boot, we're done
  4. if it boots, select restart from the Windows login screen (don't login)
  5. if it doesn't boot, we're done, otherwise go back to step #4 up to 5 times
  6. if it booted all those 5 times, then go back to #1, up to 3 times
  7. if in all these tests it booted fine then we have a rock solid configuration

Usually when the computer did hang it did so in the first 1-3 reboots so it didn't actually need all those many steps, it was when it did NOT hang that I had to make sure it is indeed rock stable so I repeated the reboot procedure many times.

Test Results

The following is the test matrix and its results. Each numbered USB corresponds to to the X99-A/USB 3.1 board layout port numbering as described in the manual[1]. "USB5-B" means the second port (numbering starts from the bottom, from the closest port to the board) of the rear USB row identified as "5" in the manual page. The "Front" is my case front USB connector which was connected to an internal USB2 port (haven't looked up which exactly). The USB ports that aren't listed have not been used (they weren't connected to any device) in any of the tests.

The device codes from the matrix correspond to my USB devices:
  • Key : Logitech Keyboard
  • Mse : Logitech Mouse
  • Joy: Logitech 3D Extreme Pro Joystick
  • Head: Creative Soundblaster Arena USB Headphones
  • Cam: Logitech Webcam C920

Result "fail" means it failed to boot (ie it hanged at least once following the steps described above).

Code:
| Front | USB4-A | USB4-B | USB5-A | USB5-B | USB7-A | USB7-B | Result |
|       |    Key |    Mse |    Cam |   Head |    Joy |        |   [COLOR="Red"]fail[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |    Cam |   Head |        |        |   [COLOR="Lime"]pass[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |    Joy |   Head |    Cam |        |   [COLOR="Red"]fail[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |        |   Head |    Cam |        |   [COLOR="Lime"]pass[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |    Joy |   Head |        |        |   [COLOR="Red"]fail[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |    Joy |        |        |        |   [COLOR="Red"]fail[/COLOR] |
|   Joy |    Key |    Mse |        |        |        |        |   [COLOR="Red"]fail[/COLOR] |
|       |    Key |    Mse |        |        |        |        |   [COLOR="Lime"]pass[/COLOR] |

Conclusion

The ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 motherboard has some kind of incompatibility with the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro that results in boot hangs for both Windows and Linux (I have confirmed that also Linux now boots fine without the joystick connected).

It doesn't matter how many other devices I have connected, in which ports. I even added some bike lights that charge over USB to simulate more USB power load (without actually connecting USB logical devices). It indeed did seem that once I removed all devices other than the Joystick plus the Keyboard/Mouse it hang less often but it STILL did so. Once I realized the system is stable without the joystick connected I went to the BIOS and started enabling back the options I previously disabled trying to fix this:
  • enabled Fast Reboot back, with Partial USB Initialization
  • enabled the xHCI controller back
  • dropped POST report delay to 1 second (the minimum I can set)

System still rock stable, I wasn't able to get any boot hangs, without that joystick connected. If I connect the joystick after booting and tested it for a few minutes in X3AP it worked fine.

I searched about this particular 2 device combination and found [2]. There the problem seems to have been fixed when the reporter started using an USB2 port but note from the test matrix above that I HAVE used plenty of USB2 ports (including a case Front USB connected to an internal USB2 port) and it still hanged if that joystick was connected.

Message to ASUS representatives: please buy a Logitech 3d Extreme Pro and follow the procedure described to reproduce the Win7 x64 (non-UEFI) boot hang on a X99-A/USB3.1 motherboard. Once you do please release a BIOS update to fix it. No, it is not acceptable to say that the device is to blame. The device worked just fine in at least 2 other motherboards (non-X99). Even if there indeed the blame lies with the device somehow, it is much better if you workaround it with a BIOS update. Workarounds in the BIOS firmware for hardware bugs is a very common thing to do, we're not asking for special handling. Seeing other people's reports about boot hangs on ASUS X99 boards, they don't even have this joystick (although some do say they happen to have some other joystick models/brands). So if you do not find a workaround for this problem with a BIOS update, it means that likely even if I buy a more expensive joystick in the future I may run into the same problems or possibly with other USB devices in the future. It makes me afraid now to buy any USB device because I don't know if it will hang my system on boot or not.

TODO

Other things I could try is to set the Fast Boot USB initialization to "no devices", ie no USB device initialization (until the OS boots which loads its own drivers). Some people are saying this fixed all the problems for them and it sounds like something that could indeed help but I worry about cutting me out of SETUP then, since my keyboard is USB, if I set that no USB device is initialized by Fast Boot how do I ever get back to the SETUP? :)

More Technical Information

Could be just a coincidence but when I connect the Joystick (after booting) I noticed that it is recognized as a HID Low-speed USB device. It is the only Low-speed USB device on this system other than the mouse/keyboard. Could it be that the motherboard does some special initialization for the keyboard/mouse but then it doesn't do that for other HID Low-speed devices and so it runs into trouble later when the OS boots? This is something that I could test by connecting more HID devices (ie more keyboards/mices that I have laying around the house).

Also, a question for ASUS or anyone reading this, in Linux boot messages I see a bunch of xHCI controllers being configured but also one EHCI controller. I would have expected that all rear USB ports marked as USB1.1/2.0 would be connected to the EHCI controller but they are NOT: according to the Linux kernel messages when connecting devices to them they actually are connected to one of the xHCI controllers. So then it bears the question: where are the USB ports that connect to the EHCI controller? Are those internal ports? Which ones exactly?

I'm asking because one thing I could try is to connect the Joystick to a port that would be connected to the EHCI controller, maybe that won't affect booting with it connected.

References
[1] http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A_USB31/e9932_x99-a_usb_31_for_web_only.pdf section 2.3.1
[2] https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logi...stick-interfer-with-windows-7-64/td-p/1355016

Last edited:
Hello

The Logitech 3D Extreme Pro Joystick has had issues from release of the Z97 platform onward. The only fix is for Logitech to provide updated firmware that complies with Intel's latest USB specifications or connect the joystick to a non-Intel USB port.

I'm unable to find any links on Google searching for "logitech 3d extreme pro boot hangs" that don't refer to an ASUS X99 board. I also searched for "logitech 3d extreme pro boot hangs z97" and did not find any relevant links. Could you point me to some previous posts about this issue? Thanks!

I will try the joystick on all the various USB3.0 rear ports, the specs are showing that one of them is connected to the intel controller, the others to the asmedia one.

Please note that it's absolutely normal for the BIOS firmware to implement workarounds to defective or not entirely standards compliant hardware, it's part of its job. If this wasn't the case we wouldn't be able to use most of our hardware because almost all hardware has its own quirks. If it's possible to workaround this issue by changes to the BIOS firmware then I'm asking ASUS to make such changes or at least publish a list of known incompatible USB devices so that I don't end up buying a new device that might also not work in the future.

Having major issues with AISuite3 on my X99-S. Just wanted to change the boot logo for fun, but it is being very difficult.

Tried installing the whole thing at once, but I got some error that made it refuse to start up 'access violation at 00000...' or something like that.

So I uninstalled it and just installed the part I wanted, EZUpdate. App works, I can get into it, and then when I try to select the BIOS I downloaded 'X99S-ASUS-1801.CAP' the following crapload of errors happen:

Can't open AsIO.sys !! (2) (twice)
"" is not a valid integer value (twice)
The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present.

Holy crap what a buggy annoying piece of ****. I just want to change the damn boot logo and nothing else. Googling isn't really helping either. Any ideas? It goes without saying this is a brand new, fresh install. Windows10 Pro.

I also note that the current BIOS version isn't even detected in the app at all, so that's really helpful.

Got this, this morning on my G502. Mouse cursor stopped moving, I unplugged and replugged, and saw this in device manager in Windows 10 on the X99 deluxe:
dWogx9g.jpg

Is this a known issue or just a bad mouse maybe? I wonder if it's related to bios 1901, since I installed it my post times are 5x longer, and after Windows loads it takes another 30 seconds for the mouse/keyboard to respond. (Edit: Problem persists after downgrading back to bios 1801 and POST times are abnormally long with all USB devices removed)

Last edited:
This thread is making me lean towards Gigabyte if i go X99

While it's likely that you will run into fewer USB problems with a Gigabyte X99 board do note that when I searched for "x99 boot hang" I did get a few hits on some Gigabyte models (but still the large majority were ASUS). I don't remember any MSI hits so maybe that's a better _bet_. And I don't mean it metaphorically here, unfortunately it appears we live in times where we get to "bet" how our (working, not broken, we're not talking about getting some broken board that you can replace to fix) $250 motherboards will work with USB devices, current and future ones.

Better yet, search for "gigabyte x99 usb" and see what you hit.

Got this, this morning on my G502. Mouse cursor stopped moving, I unplugged and replugged, and saw this in device manager in Windows 10 on the X99 deluxe:
http://i.imgur.com/dWogx9g.jpg[/IG]
Is this a known issue or just a bad mouse maybe? I wonder if it's related to bios 1901, since I installed it my post times are 5x longer, and after Windows loads it takes another 30 seconds for the mouse/keyboard to respond. (Edit: Problem persists after downgrading back to bios 1801 and POST times are abnormally long with all USB devices removed)[/QUOTE]

I had weird issues with my Corsair M95 mouse as well recently, not like this where it just plain stopped working, but it would randomly lose power and the macro buttons would seemingly input random characters. The fix? Plugging it into the only USB 2.0 port instead of any of the USB 3.0 ports. Hasn't been an issue since, hope this helps.

Unrelated to that, I'll put out there that I've been having the issue with my X99-Deluxe that many others have been having where on a cold boot it will not post until I power cycle and go through the "Overclocking Failed" screen to go into BIOS and effectively change nothing and reboot, then it will post. I updated to 1901 last night and it seemed to happen again, though I haven't had much time to test since then to confirm.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a shortened version of what to look for first? I already have on my list to disable fast boot, though I have to admit I'm inexperienced when it comes to manually adjusting voltages as some have suggested to play with for RAM. Here are the rest of my specs:

i7 5930k @ 4.3ghz all cores, 100 BCLK 43 multiplier
16gig kit Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666mhz (I believe I disabled the XMP profile and set it to 2666 manually, keeping other settings on auto)
Corsair RM1000i PSU (brand new, would like to think i've got solid power going to everything)
2x 980 Strix in SLI @ 1400mhz

EDIT: Are you experiencing these problem with stock settings/no overclocking? If not then likely you don't have the problem I had and can ignore what I wrote below.

I can tell you what fixed it for me but I can't be 100% you are experiencing the exact same issue (even if it may be USB related) so the fix may be different.

For me the issue was because of one of the connected USB devices, a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro joystick. In order to discover that I basically first established a set of steps that can be used to determine if it's hanging or not with the current configuration (see "Test Setup" section of my long post on this page). Once that was done I started pulling out USB devices until I got it not to have boot hangs. Then I started plugging in the removed devices, one by one (ie if one device passed the boot, then I removed it and moved to plug in the next one) until I determined it was hanging with the joystick connected. Then I added all my USB devices back (except the joystick) and again it was working fine. So now I have to keep that joystick unconnected when booting.

Other workarounds that people have said it seems to make it better for them (but unless you develop a procedure like I described above to say for sure if it's happening or not, it's not sufficient just to reboot it once or twice, you can't be sure):
- disable fast boot
- disable xHCI controller (so no more USB 3.0 support)
- disable most/all of the "hand-off" features (from the same menu where you can disable the xHCI controller)
- or, enable fast boot and set USB initialization to "none", so no USB devices are initialized

I haven't tried the last workaround because I have a USB keyboard and I'm afraid that once I do that I won't be able to enter the BIOS SETUP program but I'm actually expecting that it might solve my joystick problem, even if I keep it connected at boot.

Thanks for the reply dizzy, and I did find your post a few pages back showing all of the testing you did to find your answer, so big props for taking the time to do that and share the results with us. I got home from work and was ready to spend the evening in the bios restarting over and over again, however it seems that it has not hung up at post a single time as I've been messing around with my existing OC. I've done several warm boots as well as full shutdown/turn off PSU until power completely drains and cold-booting from there, and it hasn't happend again. It does appear that I turned down the ram speed to 2400 which I bet has a lot to do with it (was getting bd error codes displaying when it hung, which I understand is a memory related issue) and I'm comfortable leaving it at that. If it happens again though, I'll have your post to go back to, so again thanks.

I'll bring up a new quirk with my fans I've ran into though as I've been trying to validate stability by running Intel XTU stress tests and Heaven Benchmark, and I can't recall seeing anyone having similar behavior in the threads I've been reading today:

I let AI Suite 3 auto-create the fan profiles with it's auto-tuning feature. I have a Silverstone FT02 with the stock 180mm fans on the bottom plugged directly into the mobo (they're 3-pin fan connections on the fans). When I begin stress-testing, they ramp up as they should, however when I stop stress-testing, the fans all stay at full speed no matter what temp the CPU goes down to. The only thing that will cause the fans to spin back down is to go back into AI Suite and make any change to the fan settings and applying; so far I've just been re-selcting the standard fan profile that was created. This has only happened after the bios update. Is there something else I should be looking at as far as fan control goes with this mobo?

Scratch that, x99 Deluxe all of a sudden died and took my 5930k with it. Asus support was unsympathetic and refused to do anything but offer an RMA on the board and, even if/when they discover the board was at fault for my cpu dying they would not do anything about replacing it. I should have read all the threads and feedback out there about their OC socket doing this even if the user was running stock speeds.

Just FYI I had some odd boot problems on my Rampage V, about every 6 boots or so it would give some damn qcode (usually but not always in the 60's) and I'd have to cut power until the mother board lights went out then it would boot normally. I went through all the usual 'it must be the USB' (one good thing I got a $30 USB 3 card that's twice the speed of the onboard USB 3).

Well I finally traced the problem down to an out of spec DisplayPort cable to my 4K monitor. I won't go through how I finally figured that out, but replaced the cable with a certified display port cable and have not had one single boot problem in the past month.

So USB is probably getting the blame for some things it's not responsible for on the ASUS and other x99 boards.

Hi,
is there a reason to control CPU Fan and Optional CPU Fan separately?

I have my H80i GT AIO pump connected to the CPU Fan header and I want it always at max and I have a 140mm fan connected to the CPU Optional Fan header and I want to modulate its speed.

Is it possible to do it with Asus X99 Deluxe?
I see only one regulation for both CPU Fan and Optional CPU Fan header, why?

Hi,
is there a reason to control CPU Fan and Optional CPU Fan separately?

I have my H80i GT AIO pump connected to the CPU Fan header and I want it always at max and I have a 140mm fan connected to the CPU Optional Fan header and I want to modulate its speed.

Is it possible to do it with Asus X99 Deluxe?
I see only one regulation for both CPU Fan and Optional CPU Fan header, why?

You can not control them separately. You typically want both CPU fans to go the same speed.

the problem is that one is the cpu fan and another is the CPU pump so I don't want to run them at the same speed.

Just look elsewhere for water pump power. Another fan header or aux 12V via an adapter since you'll be running it at max RPM anyway. BTW, some of the Skylake boards have a separate header for the pump with its own profile. So you can run it at max or choose to save on bearing wear during low CPU utilization.

Last edited:
Just look elsewhere for water pump power. Another fan header or aux 12V via an adapter since you'll be running it at max RPM anyway. BTW, some of the Skylake boards have a separate header for the pump with its own profile. So you can run it at max or choose to save on bearing wear during low CPU utilization.

my crappy Corsair H80i GT can't be managed like every three pin pump because it works like a 2PIN, it neither give the motherboard the RPM information.

So USB is probably getting the blame for some things it's not responsible for on the ASUS and other x99 boards.

That's something to keep in mind but:
- I use only DVI-D connections (2 monitors to the Nvidia card)
- there are no boot hangs if I unplug the joystick and I start getting boot hangs if I plug it back (no matter of what port I use and what other devices I have connected) so it's definitely related to some kind of USB incompatibility

That's something to keep in mind but:
- I use only DVI-D connections (2 monitors to the Nvidia card)
- there are no boot hangs if I unplug the joystick and I start getting boot hangs if I plug it back (no matter of what port I use and what other devices I have connected) so it's definitely related to some kind of USB incompatibility

Yeah, rather than "some" I should have said "a few." I didn't go into details above, but I tried HDMI 2.0 with a high speed HDMI cable (not a HDMI 2) cable, it worked for a few days then suddenly the computer wouldn't boot at all, so I switched back to the display port cable, the old one, and it booted but went back to the occasional boot problem, which is when I realized the video cables might be the problem and picked up the certified dp cable. That said I keep my joysticks plugged into pcie card and plug my external usb 3 drives into it since like I said I get twice the speed vs. the motherboard ports.

Hey guys, I have the boot issues too, I noticed anytime I have the PS4 controller hooked up to the front USB ports it wont boot. Only other 2 things I have are the Logitech G710+ keyboard and G602 mouse. Im on the original bios which seems to be the best, 1901 was a mess for me.

Hey guys, I have the boot issues too, I noticed anytime I have the PS4 controller hooked up to the front USB ports it wont boot. Only other 2 things I have are the Logitech G710+ keyboard and G602 mouse. Im on the original bios which seems to be the best, 1901 was a mess for me.

what happen exactly when it hangs?
when it hangs? before starting windows? during windows loading, when?

Well, After 1 year from the release I'm very surprise to read about trouble with x99 with simple things like usb mouse, cable monitor or failed boot... :rolleyes:
I'm glad that I've choose the x79 and Ivy bridge just about 2 years ago to skip the x99 with the fear of a immature platform with too many new technologies. Until now my latest rig has been the most stable, trouble free ever.
It's unfortunate that these top of the line products don't perform flawless in times with no competition with all the time to perfect it before the launch... still some glaring bugs slip past any QA... with Intel that simply not bother anymore to fix anything. no more cpu stepping to fix glaring errata in CPU, you must buy the next gen to find about that something else is broken.
With tiny performance boost by every new generation it don't makes sense anymore to buy the latest and greatest at launch.. to be a paying beta tester for months.
The Asus boards rocks for me, no questions... but the QA process from Intel on the latest products is a big letdown... with no competition they have simply cuts some corners... compatibility problems, rising prices, cripple products and spotty availability ...

Last edited:
We don't know yet what is happening, other X99 boards do not experience similar problems (as far as a Google Search can tell). It appears to be mostly Asus specific. Even if it isn't and it's entirely because of Intel breaking USB compatibility for older devices, Asus can still do some things about it:
- use different USB controllers[1]
- black list known incompatible USB devices to not initialize them on boot

[1] There seems to be some confusion regarding the USB controllers on these boards. If you use a USB hierarchy viewer application (like USB Tree View) you will see the way the USB connections are actually made on these boards. It's a bit mind blowing... Everything is connected directly or indirectly to a single Intel xHCI controller and its root hub, just that for some reason the motherboard does not connect all the ports that root hub supports (a ton of them, up to 16 or so), instead a few ports are directly connected and others are available through intermediary USB hubs that run chipsets made by ASMedia, that's why when the system boots the POST message says something like "USB mouse, keyboard, 3 hubs". So it doesn't appear that there is ANY non-Intel USB controller on my X99-A/USB 3.1, there are some non-Intel USB hubs connected to the Intel xHCI root hub but that's a different thing altogether.

And it's not like older motherboards don't have problems too. One annoying thing on my old Sandybridge for example was any time I switched monitor input or turned it off I'd lose sound and have to go into the sound manager every time (always meant to, but never got around to, fixing the cable to hopefully stop that). Now on the x99 the only time that happens is in the rare instance when the video driver crashes. Still I do wonder about some of these "features" like detecting the monitor status they seem to me to be too prone to problems like the above.

Also in the interests of being accurate my new 5GB USB 3 drive is only 50% faster on the USB card vs. motherboard ports not 100% like the older 3GB drives and this when copying large video files (which is mostly what I do with these drives) in small file copy the difference is not really noticeable (haven't bothered to check what the difference is).

Back