ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

As I understand it, Intel's support of the i7-59xx CPU's for DRAM is limited to 2600 MHz or less (maybe it is 2400 MHz as max) -- WILL Intel ever have an update for the i7-59xx series of processors that support higher frequencies than 2400 or 2600 or are we stuck permanently with workarounds?

2800 is best used with the 125 strap. The 100 strap is good with DDR4-3200, while 3000, 2800 and 2666 need a lot of voltage tuning and a good CPU memory controller to get stable. This is how the platform is, it's also why OC socket was developed. Without it, getting some of the ratios over 2600 100% stable is impossible. I've got a CPU here that has an excellent memory controller - capable of speeds over DDR4-3300, but such beasts are rare.

One needs to tune System Agent voltage, Cache voltage and DRAM voltage for BOOT in most cases to help stabilize the system.

Does anyone know what PCI Simple Communications Controller is exactly? It's the only item in Device Manager that isn't working, and it's just annoying to see all the time. :)

295d2c5.png

I believe that might be the intel management engine interface driver. Seems harmless if you don't install anything for it. But you can install just the driver if you extract it from the install package. If you install the entire intel management engine interface driver package, it installs a boatload of crap that doesn't have any sort of user interface, just a bunch of files that very few people seem to know exactly what it all does. Basically, I think it has to do with the operating system communicating with the bios and the computer can be controlled remotely at the bios level. Beyond that, I don't really have a clue.

For those of you that went from x79 to x99, is there a big difference in performance?

I currently have a Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition with 4930K and Dominator Plat 1866 memory.

Considering going to a RVE with 5930K and DDR4 dominator plats at 2600 or so.

I FINALLY FIXED MY DPC LATENCY ISSUE!!!

Use the black SATA ports since they run the device in ATA mode instead of SCSI.

Note to ASUS: Make the SCSI option toggle-able?

Just finished my X99-A build, and it's working nicely except for one problem. If I turn on fastboot in the bios, the system cold boots just fine, but Win8.1 hangs on a restart. The Asus logo shows but hard locks after a few spins of the wheel thingy.

I played with each of the fastboot settings, but nothing helped other than turning off fastboot. Bios is 1203.

It's a problem I can live with, but I'd like to (a) understand what's wrong, and (b) have the fastest boot possible. UEFI is an utter mystery to me, so if there are obvious troubleshooting steps, please share.

I believe that might be the intel management engine interface driver.... just a bunch of files that very few people seem to know exactly what it all does.

One of the things it does is DRM, and without it you can't bitstream lossless Bluray or high quality Netflix audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, Dolby Digital+) to a receiver.

I get the same thing with fastboot and posted about it early in this thread, but I run Windows 2012 R2 Server and thought it might be specific to that OS, even though it's supposed to be the same as Win 8.1 in most regards. Hopefully ASUS can look into this.

Glad I'm not alone, and just re-read your post. I guess I replicated your error. Additional details: Cold boot, from pressing power to login screen was 28.9 seconds.

I disabled CSM. That cut cold boot to about 20 seconds, and a restart to about 17 seconds. When I enabled fast boot, it seemed to fly through post, but then it hangs on Windows load. (It hangs with or without CSM enabled.) I got a taste of how fast the boot really ought to be.

Video card is a Strix 980. Boot drive is Samsung XP941 in the M.2 socket running the Microsoft default driver. I can't find any drivers on Samsung's website. "Fast starting" is enabled in Windows 8 power options.

Windows boot manager is the only item listed in the boot order (everything else is disabled).

Last edited:
Boot drive is Samsung XP941 in the M.2 socket running the Microsoft default driver. I can't find any drivers on Samsung's website. "Fast starting" is enabled in Windows 8 power options.

Because there is no need for a driver. XP941 is simply an AHCI device, so the default MS AHCI drivers will work. What would a driver add on top of the MS driver ?

Because there is no need for a driver. XP941 is simply an AHCI device, so the default MS AHCI drivers will work. What would a driver add on top of the MS driver ?

In running through the options, one of the messages that popped up said turning off CSM required a MS certified UEFI driver, or something like that. UEFI is all voodoo to me, so I am exploring even dumb possibilities. We'll cross that one off the list. :)

In running through the options, one of the messages that popped up said turning off CSM required a MS certified UEFI driver, or something like that. UEFI is all voodoo to me, so I am exploring even dumb possibilities. We'll cross that one off the list. :)

Just fyi if you still don't know, UEFI drivers are in the device ROMs, you don't install them in the OS, you would only modify them if you are updating a device ROM.

devil22, thanks for the info -- didn't know.

Since I've been rebooting a lot, I noticed what others have pointed out in this thread. The boot priority list in the bios doesn't stick. I disable my bluray drive, a disc in there or plug in a USB drive, it shows up in the bios as #2 in the boot order anyway. It shouldn't do that.

I like using boot override to choose to boot to something else.

Hi,

1) Which UEFI version is being used?

2) Can you list the hubs? If we have any of them or can get them in Taiwan I will ask HQ to replicate. If not, check if there is a hub on the QVL.

Hi fellow Asus x99 board owners.

I original ordered a rampage 5 x99 board but found it would not boot properly (freeze up at bios start). after a number of hours of troubleshooting I gave up and ordered a different board sending back the rampage and getting the Asus X99 duluxe.

The new board had the same issue of locking with flashing cursor or just as windows will start it will lock up.

Well thanks to the above post regarding USB I have spent the last 2.5 hours really digging into this and find that the issue for me is no any one component.

100% of the time the PC will start and work fine with only the mouse and keyboard and up to 2 further items, but if I go behond 5 USB ports used then it is like it fills the bath up to the limit and it breaks / floods etc.

I am contacting ASUS uk
Here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=280769
Here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3719025#post3719025

I am going to be available for any further work on this next weekend (unless I have my full time projects work to do and no personal time).

If you have an ASUS x99 board be it a ramapage or a Duluxe and you have any boot issues and you have a lot of USB cables..... Remove the cables leaving only the keyboard and mouse, turn on get into windows properly, then only then connect the cables and your PC will work fine.

I have worked with computers first as a bench builder for ten years, then moving into production in finachal markets so I know a little bit about computers which is helpful.

Asus have released a board not ready for use.
I am using the latest firmware here.
Windows is completely stable with HEAVY gaming use and a 4.0ghz OC from 5 way optimization.

Asus if you readying this can you a very basic check if your labs don't have lots of consumer equipment, take just 8 standard USB devices be they mice or keyboards and try to boot with all ports on the mother board occupied, I am expecting even like that it will not work.

Run down of my usb cables here...

-dell keyboard.
-mionix mouse
-warthog hotas
-saltek combat pedals
-t500 wheel
-casio px350 digital keyboard (usb is for midi etc)
-track ir 5

I also have 3xVN279 Asus screens but have not connected the USB hubs for some week or so since I scaled back to connecting my keyboard and mouse directly into the system board.

My full system spec is:
Obutto r3volution - Obsidian 900D - ASUS Duluxe x99 - i7 5820k@4080mhz - 1TB Samsung EVO - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (black) 16gb 2800Mhz - 3GB Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC - 3 x Asus VN279QLB - 1x Oculus Dk2- Blu-ray - Mionix Naos 8200 Mouse - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo - Razer Tiamat 7.1 true - (DT 770 PRO Headphones + PX350 piano + David Smith Prophet 12 + Omnisphere - Focusrite 6i6 - SE2200a IIC )- T500RS Wheel + TH8a Shifter - Warthog Hotas + Saitek Combat Pedals - IPhone6 128gb + QC20i

Also just want to say, other than this USB booting problem I really enjoy the board it is design is very nice indeed and I deeply appreciate ASUS that is why I am prepared to do any log captures or further troubleshooting, it will have to be next week if required as I have worked hard all week and need some down time.

thanks...

rb

Does it work if you try to post with pure stock settings? There's a quick boot glitch that makes Windows lock up during the spinning animation.

I am a quasi - noob, having been an IT Director and built lots of computers but have been retired for 13-14 years and the last computer that I built was over 6 years ago and have always used ATI/AMD/Radeon GPU's, I am a bit out of touch and the learning curve for some of us seniors gets steeper...

-- I set the SLI switch on my X99 Deluxe board to SLI which caused white LED's to light up as per the directions in the manual. Then proceeded to set up the 2nd GTX 980 (which is identical to the first one). Can I assume that the switch needs to stay in the SLI position AND the two white LED's will remain lit or is that SLI switch just to show card slot positions for video cards and can be turned off once both video cards are set up:confused:?>

-- Are there any settings in the UEFI regarding SLI - if so, I missed it in the manual.

--How can I confirm that both video cards have 16 lanes available - I did use the correct slots which are 16X but confirmation would be nice (i7-5930K CPU)?

THANKS for answers to questions that are too simple for 99% of you!

Does it work if you try to post with pure stock settings? There's a quick boot glitch that makes Windows lock up during the spinning animation.

My system locks on pure stock settings. Ram, GPU and GPU are all at the default speed. Also, I unplugged every USB device besides the keyboard and mouse. System is very solid otherwise. Memtest is clean and all the usual torture benchmarks show plenty of headroom.

I might eventually do a light OC, but I'm waiting to get the system in order before playing around. BTW, the bios fan control is phenomenal -- I get dead silence on light load, and near silence while gaming.

I am a quasi - noob, having been an IT Director and built lots of computers but have been retired for 13-14 years and the last computer that I built was over 6 years ago and have always used ATI/AMD/Radeon GPU's, I am a bit out of touch and the learning curve for some of us seniors gets steeper...

-- I set the SLI switch on my X99 Deluxe board to SLI which caused white LED's to light up as per the directions in the manual. Then proceeded to set up the 2nd GTX 980 (which is identical to the first one). Can I assume that the switch needs to stay in the SLI position AND the two white LED's will remain lit or is that SLI switch just to show card slot positions for video cards and can be turned off once both video cards are set up:confused:?>

-- Are there any settings in the UEFI regarding SLI - if so, I missed it in the manual.

--How can I confirm that both video cards have 16 lanes available - I did use the correct slots which are 16X but confirmation would be nice (i7-5930K CPU)?

THANKS for answers to questions that are too simple for 99% of you!

You actually should be able to see if SLI is turned on by going to the Nvidia Control Panel. As for figuring out if both are running at 16x you should try out GPU Z that application should let you know what speeds the cards are running at.

I set the SLI switch on my X99 Deluxe board to SLI which caused white LED's to light up as per the directions in the manual. Then proceeded to set up the 2nd GTX 980 (which is identical to the first one). Can I assume that the switch needs to stay in the SLI position AND the two white LED's will remain lit or is that SLI switch just to show card slot positions for video cards and can be turned off once both video cards are set up?

AND Are there any settings in the UEFI regarding SLI - if so, I missed it in the manual.

THANKS

I founded that the default PCI Express on X99 Deluxe is PCI Expr gen 1.0
I change the settings from auto to Gen 3 and now CPU-Z says that my cards is running at PCIe 3.0.

3DMark Fire Strike Extreme improved by 150 points :D

I cannot find the option in the UEFI of my X99D running the latest BIOS to set it to Gen 3 -- my options are Auto, Gen 1 and Gen 2.

When I run GPU-Z and the Render test, both GTX 980's start out X16 PCIE 3.0 and then one of the drops X16 PCIE 1.1

Wondering WHY I don't have the Gen 3 option in my UEFI since you did?? Anyone else have the GEN 3 PCI-EXPRESS option in their UEFI on their Asus X99 Deluxe board?

Last edited:
I cannot find the option in the UEFI of my X99D running the latest BIOS to set it to Gen 3 -- my options are Auto, Gen 1 and Gen 2.

When I run GPU-Z and the Render test, both GTX 980's start out X16 PCIE 3.0 and then one of the drops X16 PCIE 1.1

Wondering WHY I don't have the Gen 3 option in my UEFI since you did?? Anyone else have the GEN 3 PCI-EXPRESS option in their UEFI on their Asus X99 Deluxe board?

you have the option but you need to know where to find it :D
In the "Advanced Tab" select "System Agent Configuration" -> "NB PCI-E Configuration" -> Set the correct link speed.

I set the SLI switch on my X99 Deluxe board to SLI which caused white LED's to light up as per the directions in the manual. Then proceeded to set up the 2nd GTX 980 (which is identical to the first one). Can I assume that the switch needs to stay in the SLI position AND the two white LED's will remain lit or is that SLI switch just to show card slot positions for video cards and can be turned off once both video cards are set up?

AND Are there any settings in the UEFI regarding SLI - if so, I missed it in the manual.

THANKS

Led switch is a simple led switch.
Set it in two way sli if you have two cards if you want the led one, set it to off if you don't need the led.
There is no settings for SLI in bios, only the PCI Exp Gen mode to use, see the post above.

If you want the led on when the PC is on but off when the PC is off you need to set the APM S4+S5 state in bios.

you have the option but you need to know where to find it :D
In the "Advanced Tab" select "System Agent Configuration" -> "NB PCI-E Configuration" -> Set the correct link speed.

Thanks for both of your helpful answers -- very much appreciated

I had looked at Advanced-->PCH Configuration-->PCI Express Configuration and you pointed me to the RIGHT place!!

Another issue on my Asus X99 Deluxe, the most flawed motherboard I ever bought since I use computers.

I download the asmedia drivers from the Asus site.
asmedi.JPG

When I try to install it I get this error:
asmedia.JPG

Two USB3 ports doesn't work at all.
It seems dead. I mean the two usb ports upper to the three connectors for the wifi/bt antenna.

Asus completely lack quality assurance.

OK I had the same problem, no bottom 2 usb's on the I/O rear working, nor did windows or the UEFI find the DVD drive?
I have a Plextor M6e M.2 connected to the M.2 port configered to x4, running the OS.
To solve the problem I changed the x4 to Auto, Rebooting Windows installed the ASmedia drivers.Windows now sees the bottom 2 USB's and the DVD drive.

I have a weird problem with RVE, I'm using one of the Asus0supplied temperature probes to monitor graphics card temperature and regulate its cooling. But for some reason, the probe has failed, twice. That's two different probes that stopped working for no reason, they don't even get that hot (up to about 70-80C max and even that is rare). What is stranger is that once the probe fails the system will not even POST as long as the defective probe is plugged in. Q-Codes will display various, seemingly random, error messages. Once the probe is disconnected and the system repowered, it'll POST and report overclocking failure (nothing is overclocked anyway). Then the system will work normally. Has anyone experienced this? Are these probes so crappy that they fail after less than a few weeks of use? Why would a failed probe prevent system boot?

I have a weird problem with RVE, I'm using one of the Asus0supplied temperature probes to monitor graphics card temperature and regulate its cooling. But for some reason, the probe has failed, twice. That's two different probes that stopped working for no reason, they don't even get that hot (up to about 70-80C max and even that is rare). What is stranger is that once the probe fails the system will not even POST as long as the defective probe is plugged in. Q-Codes will display various, seemingly random, error messages. Once the probe is disconnected and the system repowered, it'll POST and report overclocking failure (nothing is overclocked anyway). Then the system will work normally. Has anyone experienced this? Are these probes so crappy that they fail after less than a few weeks of use? Why would a failed probe prevent system boot?

Is the probe contacting anything that would leak current into the header? You might want to move it somewhere else. Suspect the probe is shorting against something you are attaching it to.

Is the probe contacting anything that would leak current into the header? You might want to move it somewhere else. Suspect the probe is shorting against something you are attaching it to.

It's taped to the back of video card PCB (over the VRMs) with electrical tape. Maybe there is some currant leakage there but I thought the probes were in insulated plastic? They look they are anyway. But I'll put electrical tape on both sides of the probe and see if it lasts.

OK I had the same problem, no bottom 2 usb's on the I/O rear working, nor did windows or the UEFI find the DVD drive?
I have a Plextor M6e M.2 connected to the M.2 port configered to x4, running the OS.
To solve the problem I changed the x4 to Auto, Rebooting Windows installed the ASmedia drivers.Windows now sees the bottom 2 USB's and the DVD drive.

mine was always to Auto and the problem still there.

@ dividave, #539
@ Taxcheat, #567

I have a big problem with X99-DELUXE, Win 8.1 x64, which seems related to yours.
If I restart, the computer freezes at Win logo loading circles.
I have to turn off several times in order to reach desktop.

The problem is because of Broadcom drivers (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi). Maybe together with UEFI bios.
How to replicate:
- do a fresh Win install;
- install drivers;
- uninstall Broadcom Bluetooth and restart;
=> loading circle freeze
=> BSOD + MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Waiting for a fix.

I tried again with a well insulated probe and after a day the board failed to POST again. Removing the probe and unplugging it from AC then powering back up resolved the issue. I tried the sensor with another connector on the MB and it works fine. The board would not POST with the probe plugged in however, until I disconnected it, unplugged AC and powered it back up and then connected it again. Not sure why this is happening, I'm pretty sure there is no short anywhere with regards to the probe. But once it fails to boot it will not boot until unplugged. I kept getting Q-code 79, but sometimes it would hang on other codes as well, like 66 and 77. I wonder if it's not the probe at all and just a coincidence. One of the PCI-E indicators also kept blinking, but nothing's even plugged into that slot.

@ dividave, #539
@ Taxcheat, #567 I have a big problem with X99-DELUXE, Win 8.1 x64, which seems related to yours.
...The problem is because of Broadcom drivers (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi)

Our boot problems may be related, but mine definitely isn't caused by broadcom drivers. The X99-A has no wireless. I have also now have had once a boot freeze on a cold boot and a restart, even with all the settings loosened. With fastboot on, it locks on every restart, no exceptions. Very frustrating, since Microsoft hides what's happening -- the boot log is useless.

I tried again with a well insulated probe and after a day the board failed to POST again. Removing the probe and unplugging it from AC then powering back up resolved the issue. I tried the sensor with another connector on the MB and it works fine. The board would not POST with the probe plugged in however, until I disconnected it, unplugged AC and powered it back up and then connected it again. Not sure why this is happening, I'm pretty sure there is no short anywhere with regards to the probe. But once it fails to boot it will not boot until unplugged. I kept getting Q-code 79, but sometimes it would hang on other codes as well, like 66 and 77. I wonder if it's not the probe at all and just a coincidence. One of the PCI-E indicators also kept blinking, but nothing's even plugged into that slot.

Sounds more like a coincidence. Might want to unplug other devices plus set the system to stock settings (if not done already) and see if it still happens.

Last edited:
@ dividave, #539
@ Taxcheat, #567

I have a big problem with X99-DELUXE, Win 8.1 x64, which seems related to yours.
If I restart, the computer freezes at Win logo loading circles.
I have to turn off several times in order to reach desktop.

The problem is because of Broadcom drivers (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi). Maybe together with UEFI bios.
How to replicate:
- do a fresh Win install;
- install drivers;
- uninstall Broadcom Bluetooth and restart;
=> loading circle freeze
=> BSOD + MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Waiting for a fix.

Check for memory instability - machine check exception can be caused by faulty memory, memory OC or driver issue.

Might be something to do with the OS install then. Seems to be too isolated to be called an outright driver issue to me.

Just got this board.

some warnings

first of all, your keyboard and mouse wont work unless you disable the usb smart mode on bios.

2nd of all, the drivers on the cd that came with the mobo should be tossed in teh bin as it installed the wrong LAN drivers and spent hours figuring out why my LAN wasnt working(even reinstaleld windows again).

If i identify any other issues i will let u know

I did a fresh install at least 10 times with different config: RAM, CPU cooling, HDD, SSD.
Steps:
- install window = OK
- restarting 1 = OK
- loading circle = OK
- black screen = OK
- loading circle = OK
- "Getting devices ready 100% = OK
- Getting ready = OK
- restarting 2 = OK
- loading circles = FREEZE

It freezes at each install after the second restart.

Extra info:
- tried witk several versions of bios 1103, 1004, 0904;
- 4x4 GB RAM is tested (1, 2, 4 RAM);
- freezing is present also with a single RAM;
- 2 variants of CPU cooling = temp 33 (Corsair H60), 37 (air cooling);

Just got this board.

some warnings

first of all, your keyboard and mouse wont work unless you disable the usb smart mode on bios.

2nd of all, the drivers on the cd that came with the mobo should be tossed in teh bin as it installed the wrong LAN drivers and spent hours figuring out why my LAN wasnt working(even reinstaleld windows again).

If i identify any other issues i will let u know

I dont have that issue on my keyboard and mouse here. You might want to list the model of keyboard and mouse together with which ports they were plugged into. If they are older devices, they may need firmware updates to work properly with XHCI.

I also had no issue with the LAN driver on my deluxe using win 7 or win 8.

w64bit: You acknowledged TaxCheat's post, but did you try turning off fast boot? (in the boot options section of the UEFI)

Back