ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Hi, the two USB 3.0 located upper to the three wifi antenna doesn't work.
If I connect something into it, nothing happen, other ports works correctly.

SHould I RMA my Asus X99 Deluxe?

Another issue on my Asus X99 Deluxe, the most flawed motherboard I ever bought since I use computers.

I download the asmedia drivers from the Asus site.
asmedi.JPG

When I try to install it I get this error:
asmedia.JPG

Two USB3 ports doesn't work at all.
It seems dead. I mean the two usb ports upper to the three connectors for the wifi/bt antenna.

Asus completely lack quality assurance.

The usb ports and sata ports seem bit temperamental. I built my new Asus X99 Deluxe system yesterday...no expert but this is my 6th PC build and was the most irritating.

I think everything seems to be working ok now. On the latest Bios and hoping for better ones down the road....

The usb ports and sata ports seem bit temperamental. I built my new Asus X99 Deluxe system yesterday...no expert but this is my 6th PC build and was the most irritating.

I think everything seems to be working ok now. On the latest Bios and hoping for better ones down the road....

probably my motherboard is fault.
can you install the asmedia drivers? if yes, does your USB ports works? I mean the last two usb in the bottom of the motherboard.

probably my motherboard is fault.
can you install the asmedia drivers? if yes, does your USB ports works? I mean the last two usb in the bottom of the motherboard.

Yes I could. My last two and some other USB ports were not working but after installing the two (Intel and Asmedia) USB drivers they started working. Few times during startup, keyboard and mouse would not work, seems to have auto resolved itself.

Did you try resetting stuff? I hope you can sort it out.

For the money I paid the MOBO seemed bit buggy, I just hope the hardware is not flaky and future BIOS will make it all perfect. Right now everything seems ok though.

My MOBO package was perfectly sealed (not tampered) but I am 99% sure there was no driver CD inside. I am very organized so either I am getting old and placed it somewhere too safely or it was never in it :p

EDIT- Btw found the driver CD under the printer :)

Last edited:
Question 1- I have Asus X99 Deluxe + 5820k + 32GB RAM. In the Bios I went under the tweaking section and selected performance setting with tower cooler etc. That bumped my CPU speed to 4GHZ from 3.3GHZ when under load.

If 4GHZ is good enough for me then I don't need to mess with the Asus AI suite 3 utility, correct?

Question 2- What is FULLY SAFE overclock that the 5820k is capable of?

Thanks

Yes I could. My last two and some other USB ports were not working but after installing the two (Intel and Asmedia) USB drivers they started working. Few times during startup, keyboard and mouse would not work, seems to have auto resolved itself.

Did you try resetting stuff? I hope you can sort it out.

For the money I paid the MOBO seemed bit buggy, I just hope the hardware is not flaky and future BIOS will make it all perfect. Right now everything seems ok though.

My MOBO package was perfectly sealed (not tampered) but I am 99% sure there was no driver CD inside. I am very organized so either I am getting old and placed it somewhere too safely or it was never in it :p

EDIT- Btw found the driver CD under the printer :)

I tried resetting, the two USB ports are dead. :(

Question 1- I have Asus X99 Deluxe + 5820k + 32GB RAM. In the Bios I went under the tweaking section and selected performance setting with tower cooler etc. That bumped my CPU speed to 4GHZ from 3.3GHZ when under load.

If 4GHZ is good enough for me then I don't need to mess with the Asus AI suite 3 utility, correct?

Question 2- What is FULLY SAFE overclock that the 5820k is capable of?

Thanks

Yeah, 4ghz with 1.3v will likely be rock solid on all chips without stress testing.

There's no unsafe overclock, keep you voltage under 1.35v and temperature under 90c and you can clock as high as you want within those two limits.

The average for the hexacores are 4.3ghz stable and anything above will depend on luck.

Raja, I am going to by the ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard, but I am concerned about the PSU.

It has a "1 x 6-pin EATX 12V_3 Power connector", which I cant find any information on.

Even the QVL ENERMAX EMR1350EWT-AS does not have that Power Connector.

Downloaded the Manual and the Connector Diagram shows a plug that I cannot find anywhere and I am starting to think this is in error.

Can you please find out a bit more about this and shed some light?

Thanks

PowerDiagram_zpsae1a4b05.jpg

That's a PCIe power connector to supplement PCIe slot power for multi-GPU setups.

Thanks for the quick reply Raja, but does not match any PCIe power connector I looked at.

Here is a picture of the one from my current PSU

WP_20141217_13_06_19_Pro__highres1_zpsd964a7b4.jpg

Take off the extra 2 pins and it should fit totally fine.

I still have not heard back regarding these devices:

I can't figure out what this unknown device is... It's obviously something on my motherboard, but none of the drivers on the disk or downloaded from the site clear this unknown device.

Can't figure out why there's an interrupt conflict on this device either.

Last edited:
Apparently there are two versions of the 6-pin PCIe connector:

ele-154_3.jpg

Looks like he has version 2 and the motherboard accepts version 1.

Doesn't matter, a V2 plug fits into a V1 socket. The physical pinout is identical.

V1 PEG6 only had 2 12v conductors. V2 PEG6 has 3 12v conductors like PEG8.

Pretty sure this was done so that V1 PEG6 couldn't be used in '6+2' fashion because it would be lacking the third conductor and not be able to supply full power to a PEG8 connection.

Take off the extra 2 pins and it should fit totally fine.

Apparently there are two versions of the 6-pin PCIe connector:

ele-154_3.jpg

Looks like he has version 2 and the motherboard accepts version 1.

Doesn't matter, a V2 plug fits into a V1 socket. The physical pinout is identical.

V1 PEG6 only had 2 12v conductors. V2 PEG6 has 3 12v conductors like PEG8.

Pretty sure this was done so that V1 PEG6 couldn't be used in '6+2' fashion because it would be lacking the third conductor and not be able to supply full power to a PEG8 connection.

Thanks a lot for the responses. Now it all makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the responses. Now it all makes sense.

Glad it's cleared up.

If you have anyone nearby that builds PCs would get them to help you on this build if you decide to go for it. It's not something one should be undertaking with little experience.

Glad it's cleared up.

If you have anyone nearby that builds PCs would get them to help you on this build if you decide to go for it. It's not something one should be undertaking with little experience.

No worries. I have built plenty of PCs before. I just never heard of PCIe power connector called what it is called in that manual.:confused:

Hi, I have just spent sometime reading through the previous posts to see if there are any similar issues to the ones I'm having, some are similar, some aren't.

Firstly my build is

Creative SB ZxR 70SB151000001
512GB Crucial MX100 2.5 7mm
1 Samsung LU28D590DS 4K LED
1 4x4 2666Mh CMK16GX4M4A2666C16R
1 Core i7 5820K + Asus X99-DELUX
EVGA/04G-P4-2978-KR 4GB EVGA GTX970 FTW ACX2 running 2-way SLI
Corsair RM1000 1000W FGold PSU

I am running windows 7 64, and have the latest bios from asus 1103. I built this comp two days ago and have had nothing but problems. I have never tried to oc this, it has always been run at stock. My problem at the moment and this has been a recurring one amongst others, is the system booting, windows logo loading, then nothing, I lose signal to monitor and the system hangs until I restart. This is using display port 1.2 and I have had the same results using hdmi. Then when I restart the bios tells me that overclocking has failed (even though I have not tried to overclock!) and to run setup. Now previously I have run setup, not changed anything and then the system loads again, as normal, windows loads fine. I have had no stability problems once in windows. But now since the past hour the system will not load windows and I am in an endless cycle of restarting, overclock fail message, setup, restart, windows logo, display signal lost, system hangs, then back to restarting again.

Raja@asus can you advise?

A bit more info... I have re installed windows perhaps 5 times in the past two days, tried both windows 7 and 8. System seems more stable when NO nvidia drivers at all are installed (although not fully stable, still have had the overclock failed ,estate happen). I have updated windows 7 with all important updates, and bios is flashed to latest version as of yesterday (1104).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am thinking this is a mixture of bios issues and nvidia drivers (particularly in SLI) or could be a faulty mobo. I have tried with single graphics cards, with both of them, I.e. Graphics card 1 on its own and graphics card 2 on its own and still have the same problems, although at least some of the time windows loaded, but now it will not.

EDIT BIOS VERSION IS 1103 (not 1104 as I previously stated)

Last edited:
Is the Ai Suite for the X99 Deluxe worth the effort or ignore it and just go directly to the UEFI BIOS and use it -- I am not after OC'ing my i7-5930 but to 4 GHz, so am not after a record OC and am using RipJaws 2800.

Thoughts/Opinions? Thanks

Is the Ai Suite for the X99 Deluxe worth the effort or ignore it and just go directly to the UEFI BIOS and use it -- I am not after OC'ing my i7-5930 but to 4 GHz, so am not after a record OC and am using RipJaws 2800.

Thoughts/Opinions? Thanks

It's always better to run fewer background programs if you can. In fact, I read a post in the game forum about someone with game stuttering issues, turned out it was caused by running Ai Suite in the background, so I would advise using the UEFI to overclock, it's really simple.

Hi, I have just spent sometime reading through the previous posts to see if there are any similar issues to the ones I'm having, some are similar, some aren't.

Firstly my build is

Creative SB ZxR 70SB151000001
512GB Crucial MX100 2.5 7mm
1 Samsung LU28D590DS 4K LED
1 4x4 2666Mh CMK16GX4M4A2666C16R
1 Core i7 5820K + Asus X99-DELUX
EVGA/04G-P4-2978-KR 4GB EVGA GTX970 FTW ACX2 running 2-way SLI
Corsair RM1000 1000W FGold PSU

I am running windows 7 64, and have the latest bios from asus 1103. I built this comp two days ago and have had nothing but problems. I have never tried to oc this, it has always been run at stock. My problem at the moment and this has been a recurring one amongst others, is the system booting, windows logo loading, then nothing, I lose signal to monitor and the system hangs until I restart. This is using display port 1.2 and I have had the same results using hdmi. Then when I restart the bios tells me that overclocking has failed (even though I have not tried to overclock!) and to run setup. Now previously I have run setup, not changed anything and then the system loads again, as normal, windows loads fine. I have had no stability problems once in windows. But now since the past hour the system will not load windows and I am in an endless cycle of restarting, overclock fail message, setup, restart, windows logo, display signal lost, system hangs, then back to restarting again.

Raja@asus can you advise?

A bit more info... I have re installed windows perhaps 5 times in the past two days, tried both windows 7 and 8. System seems more stable when NO nvidia drivers at all are installed (although not fully stable, still have had the overclock failed ,estate happen). I have updated windows 7 with all important updates, and bios is flashed to latest version as of yesterday (1104).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am thinking this is a mixture of bios issues and nvidia drivers (particularly in SLI) or could be a faulty mobo. I have tried with single graphics cards, with both of them, I.e. Graphics card 1 on its own and graphics card 2 on its own and still have the same problems, although at least some of the time windows loaded, but now it will not.

EDIT BIOS VERSION IS 1103 (not 1104 as I previously stated)

Hi,

1) The "Overclocking Failed" message is displayed if the POST process does not complete succesfully OR the power button is held down for 5 seconds to shut the machine down when it locks up. The latter is a feature that puts settings into safe mode so that the board can POST and the user can change settings etc. Given your issues, seeing this message displayed is not outside expectations - so this isn't an issue in itself.

2) Power down the system at the wall socket (AC off) and remove two memory modules. Leave them out for now. Clear CMOS and the power up the machine. See if you still have issues getting to the Windows desktop. If you don't or there is more consistency in success we know the issue is being caused by DRAM instability which we can tackle if need be.

-Raja

Hi,

1) The "Overclocking Failed" message is displayed if the POST process does not complete succesfully OR the power button is held down for 5 seconds to shut the machine down when it locks up. The latter is a feature that puts settings into safe mode so that the board can POST and the user can change settings etc. Given your issues, seeing this message displayed is not outside expectations - so this isn't an issue in itself.

2) Power down the system at the wall socket (AC off) and remove two memory modules. Leave them out for now. Clear CMOS and the power up the machine. See if you still have issues getting to the Windows desktop. If you don't or there is more consistency in success we know the issue is being caused by DRAM instability which we can tackle if need be.

-Raja
thanks Raja!

It makes sense now seeing the overclock failed message.

I will try the RAM now and see how it goes. I am currently using the computer fine, sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't, but normally once I restart and run setup then restart again it seems to work.

I will get back to you about the RAM

thanks gain

Okay, let me know :)
Raja, apologies for not sticking to the plan, but just after your response i found a beta nvidia driver that I installed and (touch wood) everything seems fine now for over 4 hours. I have restarted, shutdown, switched off and all seems to be well in terms of loading to windows successfully.

I am heading away for Xmas/new year so won't be able to get more confirmation until then. I will get in touch on here to update u if that's ok? Hopefully that's it sorted though.... But I wouldn't be surprised if I come back and it does that same again... We'll see.

Cheers

I have trouble with new build having X99-S. I'm stuck with the fact that mobo doesn't post, mobo gets power because power/reset leds are on but nothing happens trying to turn it on.

My question is that what it means if bios flashback button at the back of the mobo is blinking(slow blinks) immediately and all the time when power is connected from psu?

I originally thought that bios is just corrupted and waiting to be flashed so I put the CAP file in usb stick and connected that to flashback usb port without pressing the button. Now the flashback light starts a sequence of slow, faster, fast blinks and eventually starts this sequence from a beginning. It almost looks like flash operation fails and it just starts it again but I've always thought that light should stay on when something goes wrong?

I'm pretty sure all cables, etc are connected(double checked myself) because I got this build from a company specializing these builds but somehow it was broken when I got it.

I have trouble with new build having X99-S. I'm stuck with the fact that mobo doesn't post, mobo gets power because power/reset leds are on but nothing happens trying to turn it on.

My question is that what it means if bios flashback button at the back of the mobo is blinking(slow blinks) immediately and all the time when power is connected from psu?

I originally thought that bios is just corrupted and waiting to be flashed so I put the CAP file in usb stick and connected that to flashback usb port without pressing the button. Now the flashback light starts a sequence of slow, faster, fast blinks and eventually starts this sequence from a beginning. It almost looks like flash operation fails and it just starts it again but I've always thought that light should stay on when something goes wrong?

I'm pretty sure all cables, etc are connected(double checked myself) because I got this build from a company specializing these builds but somehow it was broken when I got it.

Contact ASUS Support for your region.

If anyone has an Asus X99-A motherboard, there's a new bios update which improves stability.

X99-A BIOS 1203
-Improve system stability.

I still have not heard back regarding these devices:

I can't figure out what this unknown device is... It's obviously something on my motherboard, but none of the drivers on the disk or downloaded from the site clear this unknown device.

Can't figure out why there's an interrupt conflict on this device either.
@raja a little help would be nice here. Been asking for assistance with this since the board was released.
I actually don't even have an IDE controller installed. All I've got in my PCIE slots are my two GPUs themselves. So I have no idea what the A8ZHIIJY controller is or where it's coming from.

@raja a little help would be nice here. Been asking for assistance with this since the board was released.
I actually don't even have an IDE controller installed. All I've got in my PCIE slots are my two GPUs themselves. So I have no idea what the A8ZHIIJY controller is or where it's coming from.

Go to Properties for the device in device manager, and look at details->device instance path. Should be a VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx (Vendor and Device IDs) in there, try searching for them, or whatever is in there, with google/bing.

Edit: I have a similar unknown device after checking, I think the unknown device is for asus utilities to communicate with the bios as that's what mine is for and the asus utilities will install it if you use them, according to a web site I have now lost..Do you use any of the asus utilities? If not, you can probably just ignore it.

Last edited:
Go to Properties for the device in device manager, and look at details->device instance path. Should be a VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx (Vendor and Device IDs) in there, try searching for them, or whatever is in there, with google/bing.

Edit: I have a similar unknown device after checking, I think the unknown device is for asus utilities to communicate with the bios as that's what mine is for and the asus utilities will install it if you use them, according to a web site I have now lost..Do you use any of the asus utilities? If not, you can probably just ignore it.

Using AI Suite because I'm forced to due to the UEFI bug where QFAN always run the CPU Fan headers at 100% and they cannot be changed. It's the only way I can get my CPU Fan and CPU Opt headers to run at any speed other than 100%. I installed all of the asus utilities from both the disk, and then from the website after.

In the EZ-Mode, the Boot Priority only lists two of my four drives (1 SSD for OS/Programs -- BOOT DRIVE, 1 SSD for DATA, 1 HDD for data backup, and 1 BD Burner). Sometimes when the computer attempts to boot up, it boots to the UEFI since the Boot Drive SSD is no longer listed as the Boot Drive -- might not even be one of the two drives listed. IF I go into the menu that lists all of the drives, the SSD's are at the bottom and cannot seem to be moved as I would do in ye olde BIOS of days gone by placing the boot drive at the top..

Next, go into Advanced Mode and select BOOT at the top menu -- it is sometimes difficult to get the right drive into BOOT OPTION 1 and the same for BOOT OPTION 2 since they only lists two drives each and may NOT contain the drive desired.

IF IF IF by some chance, I end up with the right SSD drive as BOOT OPTION 1 and the BD burner as BOOT OPTION 2 -- and save and exit -- if I go back in -- they will have changed.

Is there any solution to this nightmare -- thank goodness if I don't need to boot into the UEFI again, the boot SSD stays and Windows 8.1 works fine BUT should I go back into the UEFI to look around -- the order of boot drives changes again. I so plan to do some minor tweaking in the UEFI later and will be facing this nightmare again -- and don't want to spend 5 hours getting the boot SSD back into OPTION 1 BOOT location.

The computer is not overclocked at all at this point since it is a new build -- it is stable and works well other than keeping the drives in the right sequence with the BOOT SSD FIRST.

I even tried disconnecting all drives but the SSD BOOT DRIVE and starting the computer, shutting it down, connecting the BD Burner next, shutting the computer down, etc. and did not help at all. I don't think there is anything wrong with the motherboard -- but rather with me not knowing how to lock down the drives in boot order as I would in ye olde fashioned ugly BIOS of yesteryear.

HOW CAN I LOCK THE BOOT SSD AS THE BOOT DRIVE without it changing???

BIOS 1004 FWIW

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Is there a BIOS 1103 as I have seen suggested for the X99 Deluxe board -- the latest I find on the Asus download site is 1004 that came with my board?

Last edited:
In the EZ-Mode, the Boot Priority only lists two of my four drives (1 SSD for OS/Programs -- BOOT DRIVE, 1 SSD for DATA, 1 HDD for data backup, and 1 BD Burner). Sometimes when the computer attempts to boot up, it boots to the UEFI since the Boot Drive SSD is no longer listed as the Boot Drive -- might not even be one of the two drives listed. IF I go into the menu that lists all of the drives, the SSD's are at the bottom and cannot seem to be moved as I would do in ye olde BIOS of days gone by placing the boot drive at the top..

Next, go into Advanced Mode and select BOOT at the top menu -- it is sometimes difficult to get the right drive into BOOT OPTION 1 and the same for BOOT OPTION 2 since they only lists two drives each and may NOT contain the drive desired.

IF IF IF by some chance, I end up with the right SSD drive as BOOT OPTION 1 and the BD burner as BOOT OPTION 2 -- and save and exit -- if I go back in -- they will have changed.

Is there any solution to this nightmare -- thank goodness if I don't need to boot into the UEFI again, the boot SSD stays and Windows 8.1 works fine BUT should I go back into the UEFI to look around -- the order of boot drives changes again. I so plan to do some minor tweaking in the UEFI later and will be facing this nightmare again -- and don't want to spend 5 hours getting the boot SSD back into OPTION 1 BOOT location.

The computer is not overclocked at all at this point since it is a new build -- it is stable and works well other than keeping the drives in the right sequence with the BOOT SSD FIRST.

I even tried disconnecting all drives but the SSD BOOT DRIVE and starting the computer, shutting it down, connecting the BD Burner next, shutting the computer down, etc. and did not help at all. I don't think there is anything wrong with the motherboard -- but rather with me not knowing how to lock down the drives in boot order as I would in ye olde fashioned ugly BIOS of yesteryear.

HOW CAN I LOCK THE BOOT SSD AS THE BOOT DRIVE without it changing???

BIOS 1004 FWIW

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

I had this problem on the rig in signature.
I solved by putting the data cable of the boot device on the first Intel Sata port.

It started being hard to start after the first couple of weeks -- usually using the reset button on the motherboard and several retries works but today after turning it completely off and moving it today, it took at least two dozen retries before it started (even turned off the PSU and unplugged it several times -- it is like an old car that when you hit the starter it cranks once and that is it, wait a little while and hit the starter again and it cranks one time and nothing, and maybe if you do that enough, it will finally crank and keep going.

That is exactly how my new computer build is now going -- push the start button and the fans spin a couple of times, their LED's flash once, and then nothing. Wait a few minutes, and hit the start button and the fans turn a couple of RPM's, their LED's flash and again nothing. Once running, all is well (OK, all will be well once I figure out how to get the 4 channel DRAM up to a frequency of 2800 which is that kind I bought).

Any suggestions other than the motherboard is bad or the PSU is bad since they both work great once it boots up and I won't be using SLEEP again. (I checked all connections)

Thoughts/opinions??

Can you try another PSU, maybe borrow one from a buddy? A lot of times, all you can do in those situations is a process of elimination, try replacing different things. Could be your case as well (bad wiring to the power button maybe).

As I understand it, Intel's support of the i7-59xx CPU's for DRAM is limited to 2600 MHz or less (maybe it is 2400 MHz as max) -- WILL Intel ever have an update for the i7-59xx series of processors that support higher frequencies than 2400 or 2600 or are we stuck permanently with workarounds?

Back