ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Hi all,
is there someone with X99 Deluxe who see error code 40 when in windows?
Sometimes the PC boot with error code AA, sometimes with error code 40.
Is this normal? What is the difference?

Hi all,
Sometimes the PC boot with error code AA, sometimes with error code 40.
Is this normal? What is the difference?

Code AA is actually not an error code, it just says that all is A-OK. :)

I seem to remember that code 40 is just showing that your pc is just coming out of sleep/suspend.

Your mobo is working fine.

new X99 Deluxe BIOS broked the CPU Optimized Phaze.
I select Optimized in BIOS but AiSuite continue to say that CPU Optimized Phase is disabled. I can see that no optimizations is triggered because my PC use 10W more and VRM goes at 55c when in idle when phase is not set to optimized.

Why new bios broked this functionality?

Yes use it if you want to. I asked for some changes - best for oc.

there is no improvement in OC on my system over the previous BIOS,
the only change I can see in this BIOS is that it broked the CPU Optimized phase functionality and now my PC consume 10W more when in idle and VRM is 20c hotter when in idle.

As usual, asus fix 1 thing and broke 10 things.

there is no improvement in OC on my system over the previous BIOS,
the only change I can see in this BIOS is that it broked the CPU Optimized phase functionality and now my PC consume 10W more when in idle and VRM is 20c hotter when in idle.

As usual, asus fix 1 thing and broke 10 things.

What are your VRM temps? Mine is 52c, though I can't remember what it was before this bios version. This link http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-deluxe-lga2011-v3-motherboard-review-18.html shows 51c for VRM on overclock at idle running on bios 801.

What are your VRM temps? Mine is 52c, though I can't remember what it was before this bios version. This link http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-deluxe-lga2011-v3-motherboard-review-18.html shows 51c for VRM on overclock at idle running on bios 801.

with the correct CPU Phase Optimizations (optimized phase), VRM temp should be under 40c while on idle, mine was around 35c before this BIOS.
Now I get 50-55c in idle.

This means that all phases are always on now, in idle too, this means always hot VRM and 10W more on your bill.

You didn't specify the memory kit part number: if the default command rate of those DIMMs is 2T and you are forcing 1T yourself then I would look at memory first.

Per your suggestion, I looked at my memory kit and saw that the default command rate was 2T. I tried that for a week or so and it looked like that solved the issue. But then today when I tried to turn on my system, it wouldn't post and got stuck in the boot loop yet again. I had to reset the BIOS. Any other suggestions?

For reference, the memory kit part number for G.SKILL sticks I have is F4-2400C15Q-32GRK.

Per your suggestion, I looked at my memory kit and saw that the default command rate was 2T. I tried that for a week or so and it looked like that solved the issue. But then today when I tried to turn on my system, it wouldn't post and got stuck in the boot loop yet again. I had to reset the BIOS. Any other suggestions?

For reference, the memory kit part number for G.SKILL sticks I have is F4-2400C15Q-32GRK.

Check the POST code the system halts at and report back.

I am a little confused, I am running uefi 1004 on my x99 deluxe however the asus updater is telling me to update to 1000. should i ignore this or update?

KeOKmr.jpg

EDIT2: Ehh no back to hanging again. Looks like it really doesn't like my throttle (Thrustmaster Warthog)

EDIT1: It looks as though I have found a solution. I have gone and enabled "Full Initialisation" for USB at startup in the BOOT menu. This seems to have both solved boot hang problem and improved the startup speed. I would be interested to know if there is an explanation for why 'partial initiaisation" causes boot hang though :) Regarding drives disappearing, I think that was overclock instability as now I throttled back to 4.0GHz the problem has gone. My 5820 is an awful sample

Hello again Raja

Please can you help with a USB issue? For some reason I am finding that strange things happen when I plug USB items in, such as a HOTAS and rudders. I also have an Oculus Rift plugged in, so the USB plugs are quite maxed out.

I suddenly realised I couldn't see my second hard drive anymore, and then I got a hung boot :) When I unplugged a few items, it was all back to normal. Is there a limit to the amount of USB's that can be plugged in / shared bandwidth or something?

More concerningly, plugging in my throttle, which has an illuminated base, also triggered a surge and the fault protection kicked in.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Specs: Deluxe, 5820K, 16GB Dominator RAM (2133), Samsung 850Pro SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB, 2x980GTX, SuperFlower Leadex Plat 1000W
USB: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudders, Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse, G510 keyboard, Oculus DK2 (two USB plugs)

Last edited:
Hmm...Having problems trying to OC this X99-A board. Has anyone come across a constant lock on their multiplier? I set mine to 44 and it just stays at 4.4ghz 24/7.. I have speedstep and everything turned on, but the chip just won't throttle down. Using Adaptive voltage as well...

Just replaced an ASRock X99x Killer as I was having issues with it, but got it stable at 1.29v at 4.5, and it would step down to just under 1v when idle....But not having any luck with this x99-a.....Am I missing something?

edit-
Nevermind, found the culprit. Damn windows performance options weren't letting my cpu idle =P.

Last edited:
Hmm...Having problems trying to OC this X99-A board. Has anyone come across a constant lock on their multiplier? I set mine to 44 and it just stays at 4.4ghz 24/7.. I have speedstep and everything turned on, but the chip just won't throttle down. Using Adaptive voltage as well...

Just replaced an ASRock X99x Killer as I was having issues with it, but got it stable at 1.29v at 4.5, and it would step down to just under 1v when idle....But not having any luck with this x99-a.....Am I missing something?

edit-
Nevermind, found the culprit. Damn windows performance options weren't letting my cpu idle =P.

Hi

Can you tell me what you changed? :) Mine seems to be doing the same thing! Cheers

Under power options. For the profile you sre using, Go into the cpu settings and change min percentage to the default which is 5%. My Samsung pro's software had a high performance profile, and set my min to 100%.)

I've got a strange issue and I'm looking for help.

I've got an Asus X99-A motherboard and my wireless mouse is losing it's connection with the wireless dongle/nano reciever causing my mouse pointer to jump across my screen. My last computer built with an EVGA X58 motherboard never had this issue. After experiencing this issue with the new computer I built, I bought another new wireless mouse, same model (Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000), and the same thing happened. So I bought another new wireless mouse, different model (Logitech m525 wireless mouse), and the same thing happened. I updated to the latest USB drivers but that didn't help. I tried different USB ports both 2.0 and 3.0 but that didn't help either. As strange as it seems, I bought a new gaming mousepad (Razer Goliathus 2014) which arrives Tuesday but I'm not sure that will help either. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when it arrives.

So now I'm focusing on the bios settings. In the advanced tab I have the following settings:

Intel xHCI Mode - Smart Auto
xHCI Legacy Support - Enabled
EHCI Legacy Support - Auto
xHCI Hand-off - Disabled
EHCI Hand-off - Disabled

Under the boot tab I have the following:

USB Support - Partial Initialization

I'm not sure what these settings do specifically to the USB ports and I'm not sure if there's other settings that may resolve my issue but I'm hoping one of you may hold the answer or at least have a good suggestion to hopefully bring me peace and happiness with my beloved newly built system. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit
Asus X99-A motherboard
Adata 16gb DDR4
EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb SSD
Samsung 850 Pro 1tb SSD
Intel K5930 CPU
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
EVGA Supernova 750w G2 power supply

Last edited:
Try the wireless dongle in different USB ports. Ensure the board is running the latest BIOS and the latest drivers also.

Hi Raja

Any thoughts on why having more than 5 USB items plugged in is causing a failed boot? I thought I had solved it by changing to Full USB Initialisation but the issue has returned.

I noticed the newer bios doesn't send the bios screen to my Display Port device, instead it sends it to my hdmi device. Is this intentional? Any reason why it prefers hdmi? What would probably work for everyone is if the bios were to clone the display to all displays. (don't know if that's possible before the drivers load, but it'd be nice.)

Under power options. For the profile you sre using, Go into the cpu settings and change min percentage to the default which is 5%. My Samsung pro's software had a high performance profile, and set my min to 100%.)

Hey thanks dude :) That seems to have now enabled the CPU MHz to throttle down, but the voltage stays the same * headscratch * :D

Hi Raja

Any thoughts on why having more than 5 USB items plugged in is causing a failed boot? I thought I had solved it by changing to Full USB Initialisation but the issue has returned.

One of your devices might be drawing more current than USB spec.

One of your devices might be drawing more current than USB spec.

Hmm interesting, I will play around with different things plugged in.

Would this current overdraw be cumulative, or just due to a single item? E.g. could 6 items that add up to USB 3.0's standard 5A cause boot hang, or can it only be caused by a single device exceeding 5A?

I am struggling to believe the Thrustmaster Throttle draws more than 5 amps, especially as its USB 2.0, but that said it was this item that triggered the OCP (I was heavily overclocked at the time however, now backed it off and not had a repeat). I also have my Oculus DK2 camera plugged in, but I believe that is USB standard. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
This reply is based on the surge warning you reported earlier.

If you are still getting or any type of USB over current message. The cumulative current draw of the devices is not the issue. USB spec for a single device is 500ma. If any USB 2.0 device pulls this from a USB port it is over spec and would cause issues or messages to be displayed.

If the issue is simply due to recognition, then it's possibly just incompatibility at POST.

All the USB initialize settings do is enable more or fewer plugged in USB devices to speed up POST time.

This reply is based on the surge warning you reported earlier.

If you are still getting or any type of USB over current message. The cumulative current draw of the devices is not the issue. USB spec for a single device is 500ma. If any USB 2.0 device pulls this from a USB port it is over spec and would cause issues or messages to be displayed.

If the issue is simply due to recognition, then it's possibly just incompatibility at POST.

All the USB initialize settings do is enable more or fewer plugged in USB devices to speed up POST time.

OK thanks Raja, thats useful info. My throttle has been happily plugged into my gaming laptop for about 6 months so I am presuming there's no major issue with current draw, and TM make pretty good quality products, so I am hoping its more the recognition issue. Is this something that can be addressed either by myself or with a future BIOS update?

EDIT: Interestingly I just spoke to another guy who has the same throttles and rudder pedals as me, and had same issue on a Deluxe. He replaced it with an ASROCK X99 Extreme4 and it too does the same thing :) How about a nice xmas present for flight simmers of a new BIOS that adds support for flight sim gear? :D

Last edited:
EDIT: Interestingly I just spoke to another guy who has the same throttles and rudder pedals as me, and had same issue on a Deluxe. He replaced it with an ASROCK X99 Extreme4 and it too does the same thing :) How about a nice xmas present for flight simmers of a new BIOS that adds support for flight sim gear? :D
Hello

Z97 and X99 chipsets now use xHCI for USB 2.0. Prior to these chipsets EHCI was used for USB 2.0. This change results in compatibility issues with some legacy devices and those devices require a firmware update to properly function with xHCI. It sounds like this may the problem you are experiencing.

Getting ready to install the Fan Extension Card for the X99-Deluxe. The X99 User Guide illustrates how to connect the cable from the card to the motherboard. No mention is made of connecting power to the card. Is power for all of the fans derived from the motherboard or is external power required?

Getting ready to install the Fan Extension Card for the X99-Deluxe. The X99 User Guide illustrates how to connect the cable from the card to the motherboard. No mention is made of connecting power to the card. Is power for all of the fans derived from the motherboard or is external power required?

You will need a molex plug straight from the PSU

Hello

Z97 and X99 chipsets now use xHCI for USB 2.0. Prior to these chipsets EHCI was used for USB 2.0. This change results in compatibility issues with some legacy devices and those devices require a firmware update to properly function with xHCI. It sounds like this may the problem you are experiencing.

Hmm OK thats interesting. I will see if there is an update. I experimented last night with adding my powered hub back in and this does, for now, seem to have resolved the issue without bringing back the hub-related issues I had before.

Thanks! That's what I thought. The User Guide should be corrected. There is also a FAN IN connector on the card. What is that for?

Your three EXT_FAN headers allow separate control of your three fans, or alternatively plug all three into FAN_IN with a splitter to have them act as one unit. Seems to be unintuitively named, but I may have misunderstood how to use it.

I do like the temperature probe headers, nice touch.

EDIT: Here we go, have a look at this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226203-the-asus-fan-extension-card-i-may-be-slightly-confused/. Looks like you will need a female to female lead running from a mobo header to FAN_IN, then your three fans attached to EXT_FAN will run in unison.

Last edited:
Upgraded to 901 last night.
CPU Fan/CPU Opt Fan QFan bug is still present:
After using QFan Tuning, the CPU Fan and CPU Opt Fan headers are set to 100% minimum rotation and cannot be reduced.

I would just manually adjust everything *IF I COULD* but the minimum duty cycle BEFORE using QFan on all headers appears to be 60%. After using QFan I can set 20% on all headers except the CPU headers which are stuck at 100%. Why is the minimum duty cycles so high on all the fans?

Upgraded to 901 last night.
CPU Fan/CPU Opt Fan QFan bug is still present:
After using QFan Tuning, the CPU Fan and CPU Opt Fan headers are set to 100% minimum rotation and cannot be reduced.

I would just manually adjust everything *IF I COULD* but the minimum duty cycle BEFORE using QFan on all headers appears to be 60%. After using QFan I can set 20% on all headers except the CPU headers which are stuck at 100%. Why is the minimum duty cycles so high on all the fans?

1103 is the latest BIOS is it not, or are you talking about something else?

Back