ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Just built a new computer. I hit the power button and heard a pop. Nothing happens. I look at the motherboard (Asus X99-A) and the only lights I see are Power LED/PWR SW which is red and RST SW which is green. Pressing both buttons do nothing. I'm guessing my newly bought motherboard is gone and I don't know what happened. Any suggestions?

Your post is very brief and lacking information, but here goes:

Check the board did not short against the case or the cooler backplate. If the PSU OCP tripped do not try and power the board up again.

Last edited:
Hi again

As a follow up to my queries, I am experiencing problems with my RMA and it is not yet resolved. As a backup then: ASUS recommended I try changing the BIOS chip and the motherboard battery. Can someone recommend where I might buy one these (chip AND battery)? I checked:

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?pg=2&l=product_list&c=3082

And cannot see X99 chips there. When you get one, are there instructions on how to install, and does it require desoldering?

Hi again

As a follow up to my queries, I am experiencing problems with my RMA and it is not yet resolved. As a backup then: ASUS recommended I try changing the BIOS chip and the motherboard battery. Can someone recommend where I might buy one these (chip AND battery)? I checked:

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?pg=2&l=product_list&c=3082

And cannot see X99 chips there. When you get one, are there instructions on how to install, and does it require desoldering?

The chip can be replaced as it is on a socket. If you need help with the RMA, let me know and I will hook you up with a member of the CLM team. Drop me a PM.

The chip can be replaced as it is on a socket. If you need help with the RMA, let me know and I will hook you up with a member of the CLM team. Drop me a PM.

Thanks Raja I may well do that if things don't resolve. ASUS had suggested a chip change or RMA with my supplier, who was an amazon reseller. Amazon incorrectly instructed me I was entitled to refund at this stage. The seller refused (unsurprisingly I now understand), so in blissful ignorance I claimed, and amazon have backed them up, so now I am waiting to see if the supplier will replace the board or not.

So TL;DR: If I run into problems with the final replacement I will certainly give you a PM :)

Well the fun with overclocking through OC Tuner has come to an end. After running fine for days without restarting and running BOINC, I restarted today and the computer will actually shut off before loading into windows now with any sort of overclock or manual setting.

Everything was fine (other than XMP profiles being slightly unstable) until I went to BIOS 1004.

Your post is very brief and lacking information, but here goes:

Check the board did not short against the case or the cooler backplate. If the PSU OCP tripped do not try and power the board up again.

Sorry about that. Here's more info. I have the following in my build:

Asus X99-A motherboard
EVGA G2 750w power supply
Adata 16gb DDR4 ram
Intel 5930K CPU
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
EVGA GTX 980 GPU
2 - Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

Got everything built, plugged in the computer, hit the power button and there was a spark, flash, pop of electricity. The motherboard lived for a quarter of a second and then died a horrible, tragic death it seems. When I try to power the computer, nothing happens. The only lights are the PWR SW which is red and the RST SW which is green. Pressing both of these buttons does nothing. I tested the drive and graphics card in another computer and they work. Tested the power supply and it works and so does the CPU cooler. I have a replacement motherboard, also Asus X99-A, arriving tomorrow. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but I do have a quick question.

I plug the 24-pin motherboard connection from the power supply to the motherboard. On top of the CPU on the motherboard there is a ATX 8-pin connection. My power supply only comes with a 8-pin connection connected to the power supply and at the other end has two 4-pin connections. Should I only connect one of the 4-pin connections to the 8-pin connection on the motherboard or should I connect both 4-pin connections into the 8-pin connection on the motherboard?

Here's a page from the manual:

Help.jpg

Last edited:
Raja,

I am trying to use the XMP settings on my ASUS X99 Deluxe with a 5930K and H100i cooler...

When using the stock settings the frequency will throttle from about 2.5ghz to 3.7ghz(idle temps about 20c), but when using the XMP setting of 2800mhz for the DDR4(I have Corsair 2800 MHZ CL16-Model # CMK16GX4M4A2800C16) the 5930K is pegged at 3.8ghz constantly, causing idle temps closer to 30c!

I have tried many settings, but cannot find the particular one on the ASUS X99 Deluxe that will allow a down throttle will still allowing for a VERY mild OC at 3.82 GHZ...

Has anyone OC'd a X99 Deluxe with this same problem?

Thanks!

Disabling c states and speedstep will stop the downclocking. Disabling turbo will disable the extra oc over stock settings.

Speedstep allows windows to control the clockspeed, while c states is built into the cpu. Enabling both will give you a handful of clockspeeds and voltages flickering all over. I like to pick one and disable the other.

Sorry about that. Here's more info. I have the following in my build:

Asus X99-A motherboard
EVGA G2 750w power supply
Adata 16gb DDR4 ram
Intel 5930K CPU
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
EVGA GTX 980 GPU
2 - Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

Got everything built, plugged in the computer, hit the power button and there was a spark, flash, pop of electricity. The motherboard lived for a quarter of a second and then died a horrible, tragic death it seems. When I try to power the computer, nothing happens. The only lights are the PWR SW which is red and the RST SW which is green. Pressing both of these buttons does nothing. I tested the drive and graphics card in another computer and they work. Tested the power supply and it works and so does the CPU cooler. I have a replacement motherboard, also Asus X99-A, arriving tomorrow. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but I do have a quick question.

I plug the 24-pin motherboard connection from the power supply to the motherboard. On top of the CPU on the motherboard there is a ATX 8-pin connection. My power supply only comes with a 8-pin connection connected to the power supply and at the other end has two 4-pin connections. Should I only connect one of the 4-pin connections to the 8-pin connection on the motherboard or should I connect both 4-pin connections into the 8-pin connection on the motherboard?

Here's a page from the manual:

Help.jpg

Connect both 4+4 pin.

Also, please check for any shorts with that first board - otherwise the same thing might happen to the second board as well. Set the board up on an open test bed first - non-conductive surface with a bare minimum of components and test it like that for a few days before installing in the case. Check the case for any sources of a short against the board also.

Hi Raja

I have a similar question like gun5ln1g3r.

I got the Ramage V Extreme and a 5930k. I don't want to overclock the CPU (for now) as this is my production machine for daily work but I want to use the XMP profile for the memory, I do a lot video editing with Lightworks and it benefits from the speed.

The memory a Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) 2800Mhz kit. I left all BIOS options at Auto/Optimized Defaults and only activated the XMP profile.

The result is 3818.4Mhz and a VID of 1.151V (seeing 1.152 to 1.184 vcore in HWiNFO).

Is this alright and I can just work like that or any additional changes I need to make?

Another question:

In HWiNFO64 I see several temperature sensors labeled as Temp1 Temp2 Temp3 and so on. One always shows 52°C and one always shows 105°C. What are these about? Cooling is excellent (custom wc and good airflow in the case) so I don't really believe any parts are getting this hot.

Many thanks and best regards

I've seen references to Asus advice that Prime95 small FFT shouldn't be used to test Haswell and Haswell-E overclocks because the high amount of current and heat would decrease the lifespan of the processor.

1. Is this true at stock speeds?
  2. If not, is there a voltage below which it would also be safe to do this?

I've seen references to Asus advice that Prime95 small FFT shouldn't be used to test Haswell and Haswell-E overclocks because the high amount of current and heat would decrease the lifespan of the processor.

1. Is this true at stock speeds?
  2. If not, is there a voltage below which it would also be safe to do this?

Its when overclocked and overvolted that the current draw becomes excessive. A 5960X can draw over 400W with AVX2 loads with Vcore over 1.25V. Generally speaking staying under 2 X the current the die is rated at is sensible if one intends to keep the platform for a while. Anything past that is guesswork.

Interestingly enough, Intel configure the Server CPUs to downclock when AVX2 is detected

-Raja

Its when overclocked and overvolted that the current draw becomes excessive. A 5960X can draw over 400W with AVX2 loads with Vcore over 1.25V. Generally speaking staying under 2 X the current the die is rated at is sensible if one intends to keep the platform for a while. Anything past that is guesswork.
What is the rated current for a 5960X, and what is the best way to arrive at my CPU's current consumption?

For the rated consumption, would it be right to divide the TDP (140W) by my stock voltage (1.04V), for a result of ~134A?

Interestingly, if I run large FFTs at stock voltage/frequency, AI Suite reports almost exactly 140W. Running small FFTs (which is said to bring the AVX instruction spam), this increases to around 160W. Putting this through P=IV yields ~134A and ~154A respectively.

When I run large FFTs at my 4.2 GHz 1.225V overclock, I see around 220W, and for small FFTs I see around 290W - that's ~180A and ~236A, respectively. So since 236A < 2 * 135A, I should rest easy? If there's a more accurate way I should be doing my measurements, please let me know.

Interestingly enough, Intel configure the Server CPUs to downclock when AVX2 is detected
Wish my 5960X or RVE could do this :) - would remove the worrying and guesswork.

What is the rated current for a 5960X, and what is the best way to arrive at my CPU's current consumption?

For the rated consumption, would it be right to divide the TDP (140W) by my stock voltage (1.04V), for a result of ~134A?

Interestingly, if I run large FFTs at stock voltage/frequency, AI Suite reports almost exactly 140W. Running small FFTs (which is said to bring the AVX instruction spam), this increases to around 160W. Putting this through P=IV yields ~134A and ~154A respectively.

When I run large FFTs at my 4.2 GHz 1.225V overclock, I see around 220W, and for small FFTs I see around 290W - that's ~180A and ~236A, respectively. So since 236A < 2 * 135A, I should rest easy? If there's a more accurate way I should be doing my measurements, please let me know.

Wish my 5960X or RVE could do this :) - would remove the worrying and guesswork.
Hello

The proper way to measure this would be the current draw at the +12V EPS connector. Naturally the efficiency of the VRM circuits also need to be taken into account when making this measurement.

Hello

The proper way to measure this would be the current draw at the +12V EPS connector. Naturally the efficiency of the VRM circuits also need to be taken into account when making this measurement.

True - but this would require me to put a meter in series with each of the 10 12V leads simultaneously. Couldn't just put it in series with one, because there's current going through each of the other 9 leads. That's not really feasible for me.

I'm hoping that Asus isn't pulling that CPU wattage figure in AI Suite out of nowhere. If it's accurate, I can use it to back into the current.

The MSR that reports current isn't the best way to do this - that value can be offset so isn't 100% reliable.

To be honest this whole point is moot - simply leave Prime95 alone and use something else for testing your system. There are plenty of things out there you can use instead.

True - but this would require me to put a meter in series with each of the 10 12V leads simultaneously. Couldn't just put it in series with one, because there's current going through each of the other 9 leads. That's not really feasible for me.
Hello

This also would not be the correct way of monitoring the current and would introduce its own inaccuracies. As Raja stated not using Prime would make this a non-issue.

Raja@ASUS,

This problem is easily reproducible on my X99-Deluxe:

1. USB BIOS Flashback with 1004
2. Boot to BIOS pressing DEL key during POST
3. Make no changes, save, boot
4. After ASUS logo, system hangs with American Megatrends logo, QCode LED = A2
5. Only way to get past this is to flashback the BIOS again.

Any ideas? RMA?

Config:

5960X
32GB RAM - Crucial 8GB x 4 2133MHz
Corsair AX1200i
ASUS GTX970
Samsung 840EVO SSD Boot drive

Raja@ASUS,

This problem is easily reproducible on my X99-Deluxe:

1. USB BIOS Flashback with 1004
2. Boot to BIOS pressing DEL key during POST
3. Make no changes, save, boot
4. After ASUS logo, system hangs with American Megatrends logo, QCode LED = A2
5. Only way to get past this is to flashback the BIOS again.

Any ideas? RMA?

Config:

5960X
32GB RAM - Crucial 8GB x 4 2133MHz
Corsair AX1200i
ASUS GTX970
Samsung 840EVO SSD Boot drive

What's the part number of the Crucial memory kit?

Was the system ever working or are you stuck at A2 no matter what you do? A2 can be anything from: the GPU/display device not outputting, memory related lock up or BOOT device not configured.

The system has been working fine for a few weeks.

Things are going from bad to worse!!! Now the system hangs during boot with same error no matter what I do. Since you implied the memory might be the issue, I double-checked that the parts are in the QVL. I also tried running just 1, 2, and 3 sticks in the recommended gray slots. No good.

I have a new X99-deluxe board that just arrived. Unless you think it is waste of time, I intend to swap it out. Please advise. Situation dire.

Hard to say - how was the system configured? Overclocked previously? Are you sure the SSD is okay? Ensure things like the CPU cooler are making good contact - check CPU temps etc.

Those are the places I would look if it were my system. If you are sure it is not the parts, then swap the board and run the system at stock for a few days.

boot device LED is on :(. SSD was working fine. Was over clocked, but assume all that gets reset when BIOS flashed.

Depends how it was overclocked - all voltages safe or something "tweaked" too far?

Not sure then. Check the things I mentioned above and take it from there.

Thanks for help RAJA. It is 3AM here and that might be part of the problem. After I get some sleep I'll swap out: 1) sata and power cables to ssd and then motherboard. Thanks again for support.

So while putting the case back together, I changed the USB port on the back for my main hub to which my keyboard and mouse are connected. Now working again - for now. Very confused.

So while putting the case back together, I changed the USB port on the back for my main hub to which my keyboard and mouse are connected. Now working again - for now. Very confused.

It is probably the hub that is causing the issue. Either some kind of BOOT device issue or possibly if it is self-powered that could be causing a problem.

Just as an update, looks like the super weird RMA process finally ended, super weirdly. Amazon have been strangely incompetent throughout the process and made some odd mistakes, and I now suddenly have a refund for the full amount on the board despite a failed claim (which amazon wrongly told me I should make) and being told I was only allowed a replacement.

Hoping its not another mistake, but fair enough. I am thinking the seller must have initiated it even though I wasn't entitled to one. If so, cool :)

Any BIOS updates incoming for the Deluxe? Don't know what I am going to buy instead, but I feel a bit burned out by the whole experience especially with the crummy amazon RMA. Would be good to know what exactly was wrong with it but I have a feeling I may not find out.

Using a powered USB hub on my deluxe stopped any output from my graphics cards via HDMI in DCS World, was weird.

updating to 1004 is important, it contains an update for the embedded controller which can eliminate some voltage anomalies during startup and shutdown.

No problem. Let me know how it goes.

Did some very heavy testing today with After Effects, Premier Pro, and Cinema 4D - scrubbing and rendering. Findings so far:

- Swapping out motherboard eliminated A2 problem
- Swapping out very old USB2 hub for a current USB3 one eliminated a slew of USB strangeness (e.g., I can now boot from a USB drive).
- System was totally stable

All this was done with stock settings. I'm returning the memory sticks for something more suitable for overclocking. I'll wait for the new ones before I try pushing the system.

Thanks, Raja, for the support.

Any BIOS updates incoming for the Deluxe? Don't know what I am going to buy instead, but I feel a bit burned out by the whole experience especially with the crummy amazon RMA. Would be good to know what exactly was wrong with it but I have a feeling I may not find out.

UEFI updates are made as required - the next one will be the 11 series.

Using a powered USB hub on my deluxe stopped any output from my graphics cards via HDMI in DCS World, was weird.

There are a lot of non compliant hubs out there that leak DC. Sadly not much validation work is done by the vendors making them - USB spec is not being adhered to.

Did some very heavy testing today with After Effects, Premier Pro, and Cinema 4D - scrubbing and rendering. Findings so far:

- Swapping out motherboard eliminated A2 problem
- Swapping out very old USB2 hub for a current USB3 one eliminated a slew of USB strangeness (e.g., I can now boot from a USB drive).
- System was totally stable

All this was done with stock settings. I'm returning the memory sticks for something more suitable for overclocking. I'll wait for the new ones before I try pushing the system.

Thanks, Raja, for the support.

Good to know - hope things work out for you. Avoid any self powered hubs that aren't on the QVL for these boards. We have found quite a few USB hubs that leak power on their USB input from the board. This means power goes back into the board when it should not. Causes all sorts of issues for any device powered by the same voltage as power is present when it should not be.

Same goes for cheap DP cables. Some of the third world DP cable makes are connecting pin 20 when the spec explicitly states that no cable should have pin 20 connected. Causes similar issues with power leaking from the DP sink in the receiving device through the GPU and into the board.

After the update to BIOS 0802 my R5E occasionally hangs with Q-Code 6a (System Agent Initialization) after exiting the BIOS (regardless if changes were made) and after 15 seconds or so the system will turn off into S5 state instead of booting into Windows. Once turned back on things are working normal again. This happened like 3 out of 20 times I visited the BIOS. A bug in this release perhaps?

Back